Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: OPERATING ON THREE HOURS OF SLEEP  (Read 24262 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re:OPERATING ON THREE HOURS OF SLEEP
« Reply #150 on: December 07, 2005, 04:20:06 PM »

***A VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO OUR OWN DR JANE!!!***

May your day be filled with love, laughter, and cake.  And may DH Keith have the kindness to take back the cold and replace it with a more suitable gift :)

LOL, if only he could.  He has had his for so long I'm sure he wishes I had taken away the entire cold, not just a small portion of it.

We each had a small piece of my birthday cake this afternoon.

Ginny

« Reply #151 on: December 07, 2005, 04:22:24 PM »

Yes, DR GINNY, we have 4-6 inches of snow predicted for us starting at about 11 am tomorrow and lasting through early Friday morning.

Guess there's no escaping it, huh?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

« Reply #152 on: December 07, 2005, 04:25:51 PM »

Birthdays sure are fun here at HHW, especially gooey ones.  :D

Thank you S.W.W., JRand, Matt H, Jason, Vixmom, Jennifer, Ron & Charles Pogue.

JRand I’m please your drive is much more pleasant on my birthday.

DRLaura, I love that kitten.  Can you email it to me?

MBarnum’s brother delivered flowers from Craig and Ioana.  Bryan also sent a beautiful bouquet he ordered from a local shop.

Ben

« Reply #153 on: December 07, 2005, 04:26:03 PM »

A very happy birthday to our dear Jane!!!

Jane

« Reply #154 on: December 07, 2005, 04:28:57 PM »

In honor of DR Jane's birthday, today I'm reading this book, which is about selling Christmas trees at the corner of Jane St. and 8th Ave. in NYC.  Our Oct. 5 tour with Jose took us right past this corner!

I need to find this book-it's great.  :D

Ben

« Reply #155 on: December 07, 2005, 04:30:03 PM »

We are back from basket packing. It was a busy day. I cut my finger early in the day. I stanched the bleeding and put on a band-aid. During the day of work my hands got dirty and the band-aid slowly started loosening. I took it off and saw no blood so I kept it off. Then with more work the blood started again. It was near the end of the work day so I just washed my hands and wrapped a napkin and tape around it. It didn't work. Lucky Anthony was there with help in his bag. I wrapped the finger and now (after a stop at the Diner for dinner - me a feta chees omlette and Anthony scrambled eggs with home fries) it's been cleaned, disinfected and wrapped with another band-aid. All taken care of. I shall wear work gloves tomorrow (at points during the day I have to lift boxes of sweaters and such hence the dirty hands and the scrapes and boo-boos). Enough of my trials and tribulations.

Cake for everyone!!!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #156 on: December 07, 2005, 04:30:47 PM »

Frankly, there are not nearly enough postings for a major birthday bash, so let's get off the complacent butt cheeks and get some postin' goin' on.  

Cillaliz

« Reply #157 on: December 07, 2005, 04:37:38 PM »

We are back from basket packing. It was a busy day. I cut my finger early in the day. I stanched the bleeding and put on a band-aid. During the day of work my hands got dirty and the band-aid slowly started loosening. I took it off and saw no blood so I kept it off. Then with more work the blood started again. It was near the end of the work day so I just washed my hands and wrapped a napkin and tape around it. It didn't work. Lucky Anthony was there with help in his bag. I wrapped the finger and now (after a stop at the Diner for dinner - me a feta chees omlette and Anthony scrambled eggs with home fries) it's been cleaned, disinfected and wrapped with another band-aid. All taken care of. I shall wear work gloves tomorrow (at points during the day I have to lift boxes of sweaters and such hence the dirty hands and the scrapes and boo-boos). Enough of my trials and tribulations.

Cake for everyone!!!

DR Ben, I think your volunteer work on the baskets is wonderful. Wish I could be there to pitch in and help

Jane

« Reply #158 on: December 07, 2005, 04:38:53 PM »

Jason, I’m sorry you won’t be sharing your apartment with a kitten.

George, Jed, JMK (looking forward to the cake), thank you for the birthday wishes.  

Rodkinsky & Cillaliz your are so sweet.  I have been rocking & rolling to the music on the jukebox.

Jose & Ben thanks.  All these wonderful birthday wishes are so much fun.  

Jane

« Reply #159 on: December 07, 2005, 04:43:59 PM »

Thanks for all the puppy vibes.  I hope to have an update tomorrow.

Craig can’t easily call from Bulgaria but I did wake up to an email from him.  A bit later his girlfriend wrote.  While she made a few mistakes her English is wonderful.  She sent a beautiful sweet note.  She had an ordeal trying to get someone to drive her to the vet.  I’m not sure how big Yogi is now, last we saw him he was just a wee thing, however she said he is now too big to be allowed in a cab.  Living in the city they don’t have a car, not that Craig ever wants to drive in Romania again.

Jane

« Reply #160 on: December 07, 2005, 04:47:14 PM »

My brother George called after my hike, just as I was having breakfast-perfect timing. He always calls on my birthday.  

Keith should be ready in a few minutes to take me out to dinner.  We will eat in a charming restaurant overlooking the beautifully lit plaza.  For dessert I shall treat myself to gingerbread.   :)

Jane

« Reply #161 on: December 07, 2005, 04:49:32 PM »

Bruce did I post enough?  How could I not give you lots of posts after such a wonderful birthday greeting!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #162 on: December 07, 2005, 04:57:02 PM »

Sounds like the Birthday is rolling along....just like me on my new tire....referenced by DR JANE!  It is like a new car!  Well....not really....but

Flowers, gifts, emails....AND cake!!!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #163 on: December 07, 2005, 04:58:23 PM »

I think for Bruce's Birthday tomorrow....we should all post a favorite short paragraph from one of his books!

It will be like reading a mini-Kritzer (NOT a Minnie Kritzer) day......

What dya say? :)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #164 on: December 07, 2005, 04:59:02 PM »

Project RUNWAY season Two starts on BRAVO tonight at 10 EST!!

Ben

« Reply #165 on: December 07, 2005, 05:07:43 PM »

We received a package from our dear friends in Nottingham. I picked it up at the post office this morning and tonight when we came home we opened our early Christmas presents. Since we will be in Dublin on Christmas Day and our friends are in Southeast Asia on a 25th Anniversary cruise we decided to open them tonight. We got a WONDERFUL tea cozy for our tea pot, a tin of English Toffees, a tin of "Travel Sweets" (candy in a metal tin with the London Underground logo) and two beautiful clown dolls which are sitting under our tree next to Pooh and Tigger (BTW, Tom, lovely card this morning of your children relaxing in the Australian sun).

Friday we are going to the Irish Tourist Board to look for any last minute trip ideas. Saturday we have most of the day free and then we have an early Christmas party. Most of Sunday is free and then dinner with an old college friend in from DC. Monday through Wednesday we continue packing, Thursday is my office party and then Friday evening we leave for the Emerald Isle. Anthony will be changing some money on Friday (he just got the check for his VW commercial) so he's getting very excited.

We may go see Auntie Mame tomorrow. Depends on how tired I am. I think Anthony is going either way. I would love to see the movie on a big screen. It's one of my favorites. Time will tell.

I'm signing off now, probably for the night. See you all tomorrow.

P.S. I probably won't get to post until later, after 4pm so an early Happy Birthday to You-Know-Who!!!

Jason

« Reply #166 on: December 07, 2005, 05:13:36 PM »

I received a rather upsetting call from my mother as I was on the train home tonight. No one's dead, though I suspect she wishes she were right about now.

She really wanted to surprise my dad for Christmas this year with a Rolex watch and for some reason decided Ebay was the best way to find one for less than $900. She sent a money order for $850 and has just found out that the seller was fraudulent and she won't be getting the watch. Of course, there's no way to stop payment on a money order, so she's out all that money with nothing to show for it and she felt compelled to call me about it. I didn't know what to say to comfort her - I'm the last person to call about money issues.

I'm afraid I wasn't as sympathetic as she'd like me to have been. In fact, I told her I thought it was a bad idea when she first mentioned it to me and before I knew it, I kind of reminded her of that. I also reminded her that dad had been ripped off when he ordered a $200 Mont Blanc pen on Ebay last  year. She said, "Your dad is so embarassed. He says this is what we get for being materialistic," to which I replied (without thinking or censoring), "No...that's what you get for buying a Rolex on Ebay." I don't think that's what she wanted to hear and now I feel really bad about it. She followed that with, "Well, it'll just be another in a long line of shitty Christmases." I've heard that every year for the last 29 years and I'm sick of it. I told her to stop and that I'd rather not come home if she was going to start with that. Then she said, "Well, I have to go..." and I felt like a real heel.

There's nothing I can do or say to fix the Ebay screw-up or make it better and now I'm feeling really guilty about the idea of accepting gifts from them when it's possible that they won't have anything to open on Christmas day. It's not about the gifts or the money - I know - but I still feel guilty. And I know I won't be able to give them anything nice this year 'cause I just can't afford it.

I talked (and cried) about this with my roommate for over an hour and now my head hurts. I love my mom, but I'm her son - not her girlfriend or her husband...I'm not the person to tell these things to. She knows it upsets me when she does this stuff - like calling me to wish me a happy birthday just before telling me that my brother may or may not be doing illegal things - and yet I'm the one she continues to call. UGH!

OK...that's all I can handle. Done with my rant. Thank you for listening.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #167 on: December 07, 2005, 05:31:26 PM »

Family.....DR JASON....I am one of 8 children.  I hear you....I hear everything you say....

I'm assuming it wasn't a USPS money order, but if you read the small print on your receipt sometimes there is SOME recourse....  If the money was sent across the state line, it is FEDERAL FRAUD and your mother should contact the Fraud Division of the Attorney General in the state the bum lives in....usually you can do it online.  The amount is also probably a felony rather than just a misdemeanor.

She might also contact some other people via their emails from his previous auctions and see if they have had any success in prosecuting him.

:P
« Last Edit: December 07, 2005, 05:32:29 PM by JRand55 »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #168 on: December 07, 2005, 05:35:32 PM »

DR BEN have a great day tomorrow...and even if you are tired and bloody, there is NO better way to feel better than Rosalind Russell....just imagine the reaction of a theatre FULL of people when she says:  "Oh what he did to my bust" .....and.... "There, are we all lit?" ... and... her wonderful exchange with Mrs. Upson: "Mamie, do you like gin?"  Mame: "Love it."  Mrs. Upson: "After dinner we'll get out the cards and have a game."

GO SEE MAME.  You go, too, DR JASON!  :)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #169 on: December 07, 2005, 05:36:03 PM »

So are we going to post paragraphs tomorrow?

Hello?  Is this thing on?

Hello?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #170 on: December 07, 2005, 05:36:23 PM »

How was the doctor, DR RLP?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #171 on: December 07, 2005, 05:46:38 PM »

Almost time for LOST

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #172 on: December 07, 2005, 06:02:32 PM »

It must be reported to eBay immediately.  How did she realize he's a fraudulent seller - his feedback?  What led her to the conclusion.  And yes, there are indeed ways to stop payments on money orders - there is usually a number to call, but the time is critical.  Also, eBay has some buyer and fraud protection and will probably cover some of it, especially if this guy has been doing it before and they haven't done anything about it.  She should get his contact info - if she needs directions on how to do that let me know - that way she has his address and phone number and can try calling him.

Was the money order sent to a PO box or a home address?  If it's the latter, then she should call the police department of that city and they may be able to be helpful (I did that once, and they paid the seller a little visit).  

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #173 on: December 07, 2005, 06:19:43 PM »

Then go down to Chinatown and buy her a "Rolex" for $40 from the vendors there.

MBarnum

« Reply #174 on: December 07, 2005, 06:25:46 PM »

Hey you New Yorkers, I sent all of you a little PM about a show that my friend Charles Bloom is doing later this month (Vixmom, i meant to send it to you but for some reason it did not send to you...I may have missed a few other NYers as well!!)....anyhow, here is the posting for any and all who may be interested1

Charles is the son of actress Carolyn Kearney and screenwriter Harold Jack Bloom. Charles was a child actor in the 70s and 80s and now works in New York as a lyricist!

Here is the info: I hope some of you will be able to attend!

For Immediate Release, Please                                    

“Some of the finest songs I've heard this year . . .

lush, lovely, and romantic music that makes me yearn for a time when we heard such beautiful melodies.”

- Peter Filichia, Theater Mania/ Star Ledger

“New York musical theatre needs a truly creative and honest voice like Bloom right now.  Audiences will only benefit

from exposure – of any kind – to his work.”

- Matthew Murray, Talkin’ Broadway

“Bloom is clearly a talented composer & lyricist. Engaging songs with emotionally rich melodies  & funny, well crafted lyrics”

- Stan Richardson, NYTheatre.com

BEYOND THE MUSIC: THE SONGS OF CHARLES BLOOM

The Songs of Rising Musical Theatre Composer/Lyricist Charles Bloom To Be Showcased In A New Revue At Don't Tell Mama (343 W. 46th Street)

Featuring Erin Davie, Chris Gunn and Jim Weitzer

Directed by Michael Cassara

Musical Direction by Ray Fellman

2 Performances Only!

Sunday, 12/18 at 8pm and Monday, 12/19 at 6:30pm

Visit www.charlesbloomusic.com

The music of composer Charles Bloom (Insomnia, Heaven Knows) will be presented in a new revue, BEYOND THE MUSIC: THE SONGS OF CHARLES BLOOM, to be performed at Don’t Tell Mama (343 West 46th Street) for 2 performances only in December:  Sunday, December 18 at 8 p.m. and Monday, December 19 at 6:30 p.m.

BEYOND THE MUSIC . . . will feature performers Erin Davie (currently appearing in Infertility: The Musical Off-Broadway and seen in the national tours of The Music of Andrew Lloyd Webber and Swing!), Chris Gunn (Broadway’s Little Women) and Jim Weitzer (The Phantom of the Opera and Little Women).  

More . . .

Directed by Michael Cassara, BEYOND THE MUSIC . . . also features Music Director Ray Fellman on piano and Chris Downes on bass.

There is a $12.00 cover charge, plus a 2 drink minimum (cash only).  For reservations, please call (212) 757-0788.

BIOGRAPHY

Charles Bloom has written the book, music and lyrics to the musicals Pablo (workshopped at The York Theatre Company as well as The Los Angeles Theatre Center), Insomnia (featured in the 2005 Midtown International Theatre Festival and selected to The 2005 Cardiff International Festival of Musical Theatre in England) and Heaven Knows (part of the 2005 Bound For Broadway V at Merkin Concert Hall).  With numerous songs, parodies and pieces of special material in his catalogue, his works have been heard in cabarets, theatres and concerts on both coasts.  The list of artists that have performed his songs include Michael Feinstein, B.D. Wong, Vicki Lewis, Cheyenne Jackson, Andrea Marcovicci and Bruce Vilanch.  Charles also composed the music and lyrics to “Let’s Go To The Circus” (Walt Disney Productions) as well as musicalizations of Samson and Delilah and Calamity Jane with two-time Academy Award winning composer Al Kasha.  Charles is a member of The Dramatists Guild and ASCAP and is an alumnus of the BMI Musical Theatre Workshop.  Originally from Los Angeles, Charles currently lives in New York with his dog, Toby.

PS: Dog Toby is very cute!!

MBarnum

« Reply #175 on: December 07, 2005, 06:26:52 PM »

I must eat now and finish watching the wonderful Bing Crosby/Edith Fellows film PENNIES FROM HEAVEN....I see why you like this film so much BK!

Danise

« Reply #176 on: December 07, 2005, 06:31:34 PM »

Evening folks!  Just couldn’t let the day go by without stopping in to wish our Dear Jane the Happiest of Birthdays!

[move=up,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
[/move]

I do so hope that all are well.  Vibes to those who need them.  

I'm still tired but doing better.  There just is so much to do during the Holidays!  

I’ve received the nicest Christmas card from Ben and Ant and a lovely calendar from Tom and Colin—Mom thinks Oz is beautiful.  Thank you so very much for thinking about me.   :)

I also received my Michael Ball DVD today.  Can’t wait to watch it this weekend.

Well, there’s not much else to tell.  Have a GREAT evening all!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jason

« Reply #177 on: December 07, 2005, 06:54:06 PM »

I just got off the phone with my mom. We had an honest-to-God TALK for probably the second time in my whole life. It was good. I didn't tell her EVERYTHING about my life thus far, but I got some stuff off my chest and told her things that I need from her (i.e. to not go into this holiday thinking it's going to be shitty and not to call me when she really needs to be talking to a friend...or a therapist). And! She even apologized to me - for several things! And I got some apologies out, too - including ones from their trip back in November when I behaved like a snob sometimes. That may have been the best conversation we've ever had. There were certainly some tears, but we both held it together pretty well, considering. And now I'm exhausted, but I got a lot off my chest.

BK: I found out from mom that they paid with an online wire transfer. The seller is in London. According to Ebay's Buyer Protection Policies, they can't do anything about fraudulent sales that were paid for with wire transfers (Western Union). If there's anything you can think of that might help, I'd certainly look into it for them. Mom's not very internet-savvy, but my dad could look into it, too.

I really appreciate the help, and I'm sure my family would, too.

Jennifer

« Reply #178 on: December 07, 2005, 07:06:28 PM »

DR Jason, I also think that there is something your mother can do.

But, 1. I would always pay by credit card.  That way you can stop payment if you have to.  And 2. I would always check the positive and negative feedback very carefully.  Someone with good feedback is not very likely to be a fraud.

I would contact ebay immediately.  There is a contract between buyer and seller. And since she will have a copy of her money order, she can prove that she sent the money.

I am also curious to know how she found out the seller was a fraud.

I think you had a right to give her a bit of grief. I mean sending out that kind of money without making sure the seller is legit is not smart.  BUt the fact that you are so upset about this shows what a good person you are.  So don't feel bad.

Jennifer

« Reply #179 on: December 07, 2005, 07:10:10 PM »

Hmmm DR Jason just read your follow-up. I've never heard of paying on ebay by a wire transfer. I guess the seller found a way to beat the system.

Maybe she can contact her bank (since she had to wire the money out of her account). Does her bank allow for fraud?

Good luck. And glad you had a good talk.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up