Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: WHAT'S MY SEGUE?  (Read 18932 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:WHAT'S MY SEGUE?
« Reply #60 on: December 11, 2005, 04:14:34 PM »

After work, der B and I went out and did some shopping.  He needed a new wheel for the chair here at the computer.  It has been a bit tipsy without it.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2005, 04:17:05 PM »

Right now, der B is watching The Third Man on one of the cable stations.  The story is interesting, but the music has me in a zither.

;D
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2005, 04:19:38 PM »

I suppose I shall have to see Brokeback Mountain - if I enjoy it it will be the first Ang Lee film I like.

If you didn't like THE WEDDING BANQUET or SENSE AND SENSIBILITY, I can't imagine you'd like this one either.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #63 on: December 11, 2005, 04:28:45 PM »

OK, news flash.  One hundred and thirty-one years ago today, in 1874, James Lewis Kraft was born.  He started his career in life, as a wholesale cheese distributor and processor, honestly enough.  However, in 1916 he patented a pasteurized process cheese, which was low-cost (read: cheap) and wouldn't spoil.  People weren't interested at first, but during WWI the U. S. Army bought more than six million tins of the stuff.  (Think of it as Army food.)  Later, during the Great Depression, it's low-cost (read: cheapness) made the stuff popular with the general public at last.

So now you know who is to blame for all the lousy cheese that's flooded today's market.  Easy-Mac, anyone?   :P

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #64 on: December 11, 2005, 04:34:15 PM »

Time to get dinner made.  The last of the T-Bones that my out-of-stepdaughter rejected, with a Mex twist (dusted with chili powder).  Refried beans with chiles, some corn laced with red pepper, and some freshly fried corn tortilla strips and guacamole.

Too bad we're out of tequila, but that's life here in Delaware.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #65 on: December 11, 2005, 04:35:19 PM »

Cheez-Whiz Biz.

I like Cheez-Whiz on Spam on White Bread.  Yum Yum.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #66 on: December 11, 2005, 04:36:53 PM »

DR MATTH - I watched the beginnng of FOUR FEATHERS on TCM last night, and the color on this print or DVD or whatever they use to broadcast now...was very bright and clear.  That's one of my favorite novels....and I even like the newest version...I don't LOVE it, but I like it.

Of course it's no BEAU GESTE!!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #67 on: December 11, 2005, 04:37:29 PM »

Interesting TAR fact, DR JENNIFER.  If I can't have a million dollars, I guess a car would be nice!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #68 on: December 11, 2005, 04:41:07 PM »

Yes, MR BK, this is a sore subject.

Like DR ELMORE, I am saving my one I can't forget for my memoirs.

Since MR BK didn't get to go see GNOK GNIK last night - and so many of us are looking forward to it.....WHAT SCENE ARE YOU MOST ANTICIPATING IN THE NEW VERSION OF THIS (true NOT instant) CLASSIC MOVIE?

I am of course salivating to see the NEW GNOK climb the Empire State Building!!! On the BIG screeen, with some great music climbing with him!!!

Bring it on!!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #69 on: December 11, 2005, 04:45:35 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]! ! ! ! !  HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO DR GINNY  ! ! ! ! ![/move]
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #70 on: December 11, 2005, 04:48:05 PM »

I have soooo much to catch up here, it's not funny (unless, of course, you find such things funny.)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #71 on: December 11, 2005, 04:51:05 PM »

DR GINNY glad that you and DHRICHARD and DRROB enjoyed the Museums.  The canal walk is fun and of course more comfortable in the spring and fall, but you don't have to worry about cars and busses when you walk down there.  You were very near my former office in the Government Center!

Enjoy the Indiana Steak Dinner.  It will be served with ketchup, even if you don't ask for it.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #72 on: December 11, 2005, 04:51:56 PM »

I have soooo much to catch up here, it's not funny (unless, of course, you find such things funny.)

You just KNOW we do!   ;D

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #73 on: December 11, 2005, 04:53:19 PM »

Had a nice afternoon thus far with two movies. First up was THE PRINCESS DIARIES 2, and, yes, I was definitely not the target audience for this movie. I'm sure preteen girls loved it, and for the young at heart (DR Jennifer, that's you), it could also be fun. Even I found parts of it fun and even sweetly, innocently romantic.

I wanted to see it, of course, because there was much publicity at the time of its release about Julie Andrews doing a small amount of singing in the film.

At the time she kept saying she didn’t really sing.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #74 on: December 11, 2005, 04:53:25 PM »

GNIK GNOK 2005!!!   ;D

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #75 on: December 11, 2005, 04:57:38 PM »

As for BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN, I have nothing to say beyond how emotionally wrenching it is by its very understatement and beauty.  I can't think of any symbol for innocence, hope, and love more potent than Brokeback Mountain since Kane's Rosebud.  It's quite a haunting film.

DRTPunk, I wish I'd invited you to come with us.

I debated coming to meet you but I am so stopped up I don't think I would have been good company, and I definitely wouldn't want to get you sick.

Please tell Rodzinski that he should see the movie!!!

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #76 on: December 11, 2005, 04:59:59 PM »

Right now, der B is watching The Third Man on one of the cable stations.  The story is interesting, but the music has me in a zither.

;D

We were watching that yesterday!

Jane

« Reply #77 on: December 11, 2005, 05:03:22 PM »

Just me and Jane in the jernt.  You'd think it was a Sunday or something, what with 38 posts at 11:30.  We're celebratin' a birthday here - most unseemly.

And then I left to go see Syriana.

Jane

« Reply #78 on: December 11, 2005, 05:09:46 PM »

Jennifer, I hope your throat doesn’t hurt tonight.

Danise

« Reply #79 on: December 11, 2005, 05:13:38 PM »

DR Ginny!!!!!!!

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #80 on: December 11, 2005, 05:18:22 PM »

For those of you who thought you saw me one the board today and then I winked out before posting.  You were correct.  

I was in the middle of writting a post and something unseemly happened to the cable modem!

I guess someone hit a pole because it came back on a few hours later.

I'm sitting here now with Bear snoring in the background.  And I do mean SNORING!!  I wish I could rig this so you could hear him.   ;D

Vibes to TPunk and Jennifer to feel much better very soon.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2005, 05:19:08 PM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #81 on: December 11, 2005, 05:21:29 PM »

We're down to a chilly 53 degrees F after a high of only 59.  Do ya think it's Chrismas time or something?
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: December 11, 2005, 05:24:53 PM »

Sounds like TPunk and I are singing the same malady.

The music for the new Kong, at least on CD, is just like every other film score of the last decade - not a theme in sight, droning, thumping, New Agey, choir for no reason - you know, James Newton Howard.  I, for one, would love to hear what Howard Shore was doing before they canned him.

Danise

« Reply #83 on: December 11, 2005, 05:30:24 PM »

The thing that I get a kick out of with the original  King Kong  is that back when it was first released, people were fainting in their seats.

I haven't heard of single movie in recent years that had that kind of effect on anyone.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #84 on: December 11, 2005, 05:41:03 PM »

The thing that I get a kick out of with the original  King Kong  is that back when it was first released, people were fainting in their seats.

I haven't heard of single movie in recent years that had that kind of effect on anyone.  

I fainted from the shock of how inept and horrible VAN HELSING was!  It scared the hell out of me.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Danise

« Reply #85 on: December 11, 2005, 05:44:41 PM »

I fainted from the shock of how inept and horrible VAN HELSING was!  It scared the hell out of me.

That was one of the few DVD's I bought without seeing the movie before hand.  Uggggh.......   I will never make that mistake again.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jane

« Reply #86 on: December 11, 2005, 05:50:12 PM »

Seems many Christian groups don’t like the expression “Happy Holidays” and want “Merry Christmas” back.  

The 150,000-member American Family Association called for a boycott of Target (and other large chains), accusing the chain of banning the phrase "Merry Christmas" from its stores - a charge that Target denies.  

And Bush who is usually bashed for not separating his religion from his politics has been bashed for his “Holiday”  vs “Christmas” greeting.  ::)  

Ginny

« Reply #87 on: December 11, 2005, 05:52:33 PM »

Back from my birthday dinner at a local Outback Steakhouse.  Had my usual 7-oz filet, a baked potato, and an excellent chopped bleu cheese salad.  We stopped at a grocery, bought a Bill Knapp's Celebration Cake and 2 pints of Haagen-Dasz (vanilla and dulce de leche).

It was delightful to come back to even more birthday wishes - thanks, all you lovely people!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #88 on: December 11, 2005, 05:58:20 PM »

Anybody want to join us for ice cream and cake?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Danise

« Reply #89 on: December 11, 2005, 05:59:02 PM »

I'm glad you had such a wonderful day, DR Ginny.  

I can't believe that so many people have their panties in a wad about something as simple as " Merry Christmas".  Bah.  Humbug.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up