Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: I FEEL A SPIEL COMING ON  (Read 21092 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
I FEEL A SPIEL COMING ON
« on: December 13, 2005, 12:23:34 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've been spieled, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're purchasing Kritzerland CDs and copies of Rewind right now, then they'll be on their way.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2005, 12:32:00 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:I FEEL A SPIEL COMING ON
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2005, 12:23:59 AM »

And the word of the day is: PETULANT!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2005, 04:54:32 AM »

Good morning, all!  It's nearly 8:00 am and I'm amazed to see myself so far up at the beginning of the posts!  I have a brief post office trip this morning. the conclusion of the Act One critical notes on Toyland, a bit of shopping before my music librarian's monthly dinner tonight.

TOD:  most memorable Christmas gift?  A Siamese kitten around 1962.  She lived for around 16 years and I was quite fnd of her.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2005, 04:55:15 AM »

One of my favorite songs is "Downtown" sung by Petulant Clark.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2005, 04:56:00 AM »

Good morning, Larry. We are up and about getting ready to visit the Irish Tourist Office in New York. We are then off to Amex to exchange some money and then off to volunteer land again.

Errant and Truant I may be, but I still love youse guys!

Michael

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2005, 05:27:39 AM »

I never received a Christmas gift. So I cannot answer the TOD.

And BTW got the computer working again (I hope)
Never stop dreaming.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2005, 05:54:21 AM »

The PETULANT me peed on my rug.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2005, 05:56:35 AM »

Awww...DR Michael S, PM me your address and I'll send you a Christmas gift.

My best Christmas gift ever was the Mickey Mouse phone my parents gave me when I was in high school.  It's not only that it was an expensive item (and phones were expensive to buy back then!), but that it was an acknowledgement and appreciation of my silly side from my parents.  It really meant a lot to me.  And I still have it and it still works!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2005, 05:56:59 AM »

Today is Cliche Day.

(Or is that something you've heard before?)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2005, 05:59:38 AM »

Today we also celebrate St. Jose, the patron of harvests.

I always knew there was someone to blame for that.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2005, 06:01:50 AM by S. Woody White »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2005, 06:42:08 AM »

I didn't write the following.  It's something that der B sent me, but I'm not exactly clear where he got it.

The "winter program" at Ridgeway Elementary School in Dodgeville, Wis., changed the lyrics of the Christmas carol "Silent Night" to the more inclusive "Cold in the Night." ("Cold in the night, no one in sight, winter winds whirl and bite.") After this success, the program's next step will obviously be:
(a) Changing "O Holy Night" to "Uh-oh! Wholly night!" a song about a lunar eclipse.
(b) Singing "O Little Town of Bethlehem, Pennsylvania."
(c) A song celebrating the comeback of the American auto industry, "Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Ford."
(d) A ditty about hoping for snow at the Panama Canal, "I'm dreaming of a white isthmus."

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2005, 06:43:20 AM »

More from the same source.

Some schools have ruled that red and green cookies cannot be brought into class in December because the color combination strongly suggests the divisive sectarian feast day of Christmas. Therefore:
(a) Red cookies may be brought to school. Green ones too. But, please, not on the same day.
(b) A fruit bowl containing just pears and cherries is a serious constitutional matter and should be reported immediately to the ACLU, care of the Christmas erasure desk.
(c) In December, the San Francisco 49ers may not be shown playing the New York Jets, except on black-and-white TV sets.
(d) All traffic lights must be turned off until Jan. 1.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2005, 06:46:27 AM »

Multiple choice questions were always my favorite when I was in school.  Sometimes the teacher would add a choice that had some real humor, just to throw people off (or let him/her know how far we were in the test, by the timing of the laughter).

The three wise men in the Nativity scene are objectionable because:
(a) They fail the multicultural test. Though one is black, neither of the other two is a disabled lesbian, wiccan or vegan.
(b) "Wise Men" should be "Persons of Wisdom."
(c) Describing the first people to come to see Jesus as "wise" implies that idiots can't become Christians, which experience tells us is just not so.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2005, 06:49:59 AM »

I also love cross-reverences.

Christians believe Jesus came down to Earth and made himself human in order to encourage:
(a) Consumer confidence
(b) Season's greetings
(c) A festive period between bowl games
(d) His birth scene to be surrounded by plastic reindeer, elves and court-pleasing woodland creatures
(e) Frenzied end-of-year gift giving
(f) Religious songs that are easily converted into weather songs in Wisconsin
(g) The ACLU Christmas-erasure desk

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2005, 06:50:57 AM »

All right, one more:

Before backing down and permitting a full Nativity scene, a public library in Memphis agreed to allow the scene, but only if the baby Jesus, Joseph, Mary and the wise men were removed. This left a shepherd boy and some farm animals. Next year the library will accept a Nativity scene only if it consists of:
(a) A shepherd boy and some chickens
(b) A shepherd boy and some ferrets
(c) A shepherd boy explaining that the head librarian in Memphis thinks with a brain that may or may not be the result of Intelligent Design.

Jennifer

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2005, 06:55:42 AM »

Hey people do not forget tonight is the 2 hour finale of THE AMAZING RACE.

Who I want to win: The Linz Family.

Who I do NOT want to win: The Weavers!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2005, 07:02:02 AM »

Hey people do not forget tonight is the 2 hour finale of THE AMAZING RACE.

Who I want to win: The Linz Family.

Who I do NOT want to win: The Weavers!

Ditto.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

MBarnum

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2005, 07:24:51 AM »

Bransons or LInzs for me!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2005, 07:50:13 AM »

Good morning!

Another beautifully bright, clear, cold day here. I plan to bundle up this afternoon and go for a walk just to breathe the bracing cool air.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2005, 07:53:51 AM »

BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN led the Golden Globe nominations with 7 nominations. THE PRODUCERS got four nods including Best Picture, Best Actor (Nathan Lane), Supporting Actor (Will Ferrell), and Best Song.

Steven Spielberg got a Best Director nomination for MUNICH, but the film was not nominated for Best Drama nor did Eric Bana get a Best Actor nomination.

George Clooney got three personal nominations: Best Director for GOOD NIGHT, AND GOOD LUCK, Best Supporting Actor for SYRIANA, and Best Screenplay.

Matt H.

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2005, 07:56:03 AM »

I think I mentioned this before, but the Christmas present I most remember was a Robby the Robot mechanical man that talked and moved with a hand crank. I LOVED that gift, and I remember having to go to some Christmas gathering the year I got it and not wanting to go because I wanted to stay home and play with Robby.

Matt H.

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2005, 07:58:05 AM »

I'd like the finish out the GOOD TIMES disc I started yesterday and then move on to THE DARK CORNER and THE GLENN MILLER STORY.

Matt H.

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2005, 07:58:41 AM »

BONES and HOUSE both have new episodes tonight as well, so I'll have a full day of movie and TV watching.

Matt H.

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2005, 08:09:11 AM »

Glenn Erickson usually reviews DVDs, but occasionally he'll review a current in-theater film, and he's given his seal of approval to the new KING KONG. He picks a few nits here and there but basically raves about it.

I respect his opinion more than most critics out there right now, so that might persuade me to catch it down the line. I won't be there tonight at any midnight showings, however.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2005, 08:15:28 AM »

A couple of Christmas presents stand out for me:  one (whose actual name I forget) by Kenner where you could build your own skyscrapers.  The kit included girders that snapped together, then building facades you clipped onto the girders.  Then circa 1965 or 1966 I got the coolest James Bond remote control racetrack set, complete with "tire slicing" hubcaps and an "oil slick" where the cars skidded going up a hill.

I'm sure that if the Weavers win, they will immediately say it was G-d's will, which of course makes sense.  As I was telling Betsy last week, I'm sure the Lord on High has set the Weavers' win as His number one priority because really everything else in creation is going so swimmingly right now.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2005, 08:17:39 AM by JMK »
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2005, 08:16:29 AM »

Glenn Erickson

One of the many names Frances Farmer's first husband used professionally.  :)

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2005, 08:35:40 AM »

If anyone feels like sending me low cholesterol vibes, that would be great.  About three years ago we discovered in a routine blood test that my cholesterol and triglyceride levels were at the "you should have been dead by now" stage.  But the good news is I brought them down dramatically through completely natural means (my brother-in-law was a VP at both Glaxo and Pfizer and told me to avoid the prescription cholesterol drugs if I could, since I'm still relatively young and they have long-term side effects).  But the bad news is I probably got a little lax and stopped taking some of the natural supplements and also occasionally started having "real" cheese again, and last week discovered my cholesterol was way up again.  The weird thing is my triglycerides were lower than they've ever been, which indicates that I'm at least not intaking much fat (I have enough already, LOL).  So I'm back on the plant sterol/red yeast rice regimen and have sworn off any "real" dairy for at least a few months.

Wasn't that an extremely fascinating health report?  Yes, I knew you'd think so.   ::)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2005, 08:44:12 AM »

DR JMK I had the same Kenner set!  Loved building TALL buildings with it.   ;D

http://cgi.ebay.com/TWO-1958-Kenner-Girder-Panel-SETS_W0QQitemZ6022073792QQcategoryZ19015QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Great post yesterday DR ELMORE about your evening with the Chorus.  Sounds like quite an evening.  :D

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2005, 08:46:22 AM »

Kenner Girder & Panel and low cholesteral vibes for DR JMK!

Use Metrecal like Frances used to do during Lent - remember Jim Gerrard said she used give up liquor for Lent and always was much more pleasant to be around and dropped several pounds!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2005, 08:47:35 AM »

My most memorable Christmas gift was my first Typewriter!!!  I immediately roughed out a family newspaper and then spend a few days typing it up....three colums, illustrated with a cut out photo....and all the news that fits, we print!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up