Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: WHEN IN ROME  (Read 29651 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:WHEN IN ROME
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2006, 06:58:03 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

I think the closest I've come to roughing it is walking the streets of New York without a guide book, and very little money in my wallet.

;)

However...

My parents used to take us camping quite regularly when we were in grade school.  We would head out to Harper's Ferry, and stay on the side of the mountain.  -I do have to admit that there was usually a motor-home nearby - friends of the family.  But, still, we were outside.  -And there were a few times when we see shadows of bears lurking outside the tent.  Scary!

We also used to go to Solomon's Island for the weekend.  My Dad and his friends would go crabbing, so a bunch of families would caravan there, and set up tents on the campgrounds for the weekend.  We would usually head down there Friday afternoon, and get everything thing set up.  Then the fathers - and sometimes the sons - would go right to the docks to stake out a good spot, and start crabbing.  It was a very nocturnal activity.  Thankfully, since we usually stayed on the grounds of the Coast Guard Base there, there were public bathrooms and showers to use, so it was never that rough.  But we did sleep in sleeping bags and/or in cots.

*And, strangely enough, even though we would sometimes come back with bushels of crabs, I never really did develop a liking for eating them.  -Well, for cracking them open.  I prefer to have my crab pre-cracked and/or in crabcakes.  No fuss, no muss.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2006, 07:00:29 AM »

Oohhh... I started Page Two!

:)

And instead of a Page Two Dance, I think everyone should do a set of Alternating Oblique Crunches...

Left, Right
Left, Right
Left, Right
Left, Right
Left, Right
Left, Right
-Watch your form, keep those abs in..
Left, Right
Left, Right
-And eight more...

Work it!

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2006, 07:01:43 AM »

...And occasionally, if I'm driving through some scenic area, and if I have the time, I'll go ahead and pull over, and walk around for a bit.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2006, 07:02:44 AM »

And as for "rouging" it...

Well, there was that one Halloween a couple of years ago...

:-*

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2006, 07:06:52 AM »

And now I need to wash my cereal bowl...

*For anyone looking for a new cereal to try out, I highly recommend the new-ish Nature's Path "Rebound".  Very good stuff.  And very good for you.

...And then take care of some stuff before heading into rehearsal.  I'll be bringing my laptop with me, so I'll check in during the dinner break.  Until then, I hope everyone is having a good day, and/or is feeling better.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2006, 07:09:01 AM »

I'm roughing it right now - up at seven for some reason unbeknownst to me, other than I didn't want to sleep past eight-thirty.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2006, 07:09:35 AM »

Unless I'm completely off my feed, we should achieve our new New Year plateau this very day.

FJL

« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2006, 07:16:21 AM »

Does staying in a hotel that doesn't have room service or a restaurant count as roughing it?  On one visit to Orlando, we stayed in a Comfort Inn and had to go to a nearby 7-11 for anything to nosh on, and we found that kind of rough.  The last few times we went to Orlando, it was strictly on Disney territory for us.

I did go camping when I was a teenager, with tents and a campfire and all the guys putting out the campfire the natural way (i.e., bodily function number 1 - is that too much info?) and other jock stuff like that.  It was fun for one night, but not something I particularly want to do these days.

Of course, there was being on the 16th floor during the blackout a couple of years ago, but that was no vacation - it was roughing it, though, and our neighbors all banded together in the best way possible.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2006, 07:18:58 AM »

I suppose we'll have to have dear reader Jane or dear reader Laura to hear about roughing it.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2006, 07:19:13 AM »

NICE BILLING, BK! NAME ABOVE THE TITLE!  Eat your heart out, Frank Capra!

My idea of roughing it is staying anyplace that doesn't have that sanitary strip of paper around the toilet seat or a mint on my pillow.

Actually I stayed in one place in Slovakia during Dragonheart that was pretty scary.  A bathroom you didn't want to walk across in your bare feet and little flying insects that came in the room because if you didn't open the window, you'd died of heat prostration.

I stayed in a pub inn in Yorkshire, England, once (build in the 1500's) that had crooked floors and you had to go down the hall to a public loo in the middle of the night which was somewhat roughing it, but was sort of romantic too and they served the best traditional English Breakfast I've ever had.  They had an old sheepdog who was the mascot of the place.  It was rumoured to be haunted.  I think it was called The Golden Fleece.

My biggest roughing it experiences are those like I just had...crossing the country in a car, driving sixteen hours a day, stopping for gas, food, and bathroom breaks all at the same time.

FJL

« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2006, 07:22:56 AM »

Thanks, Bruce, for the info on waiver theater yesterday.  It does seem similar to showcase rules, although the showcase rules have certain limits on how much can be spent on the production.  

Jason

« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2006, 07:27:35 AM »

I don't do rough. Or rouge.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2006, 07:36:52 AM »

It's going to be a nice sunny day here in the City of Studio, at least that's what it looks like now.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2006, 07:38:16 AM »

FJL: We had yet another new amazon order for The Last Starfighter (and Stages), so it plugs along consistently.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2006, 07:54:00 AM »

Good Morning HHW!

Last night shortly after I arrived home I received a phone call from my Dad... "You left transmission fluid all over our driveway when you picked up (the Vixter)"

Dang and Balst!  I just had a new transmission put in
the car  in July!   >:(

So I called my boss to say I would be late in , and went to the transmission place first thing this morning.

He looked at it right away and said "Yep, you got a loose connector on this hose", fixed it up, filled up my transmission fluid and sent me on my way.... gratis!

So a happy ending for me!  :D
« Last Edit: January 05, 2006, 08:05:12 AM by vixmom »
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2006, 07:54:30 AM »

I am also feeling much better today.  Thanks for all the vibes!

FJL

« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2006, 07:55:27 AM »

Bruce - That sounds great.  I just looked at the Last Starfighter amazon page and they said they only had 3 left with more on the way.   And they're offering some sort of deal again (like they did before Christmas) to get people to order Starfighter together with Spamalot.  Anything that allows Starfighter to glom on to something like Spamalot sounds good to me!  

Ben

« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2006, 07:55:39 AM »

I will be seeing The Woman in White next week. It's on TDF so I took the plunge. I didn't want to spend half-price or discount and my wait has paid off. I know I'll be in the boonies of the Marquis, but maybe not, when I saw the revival of La Cage I had an orchestra seat.

I'm having dinner tonight with a friend in from out-of-town. He's staying at the Mildew (oops, that's Milford) Plaza so we will be eating at a Greek establishment on 46th and 8th Avenue.

That's all for now. I'm slowly catching up. I have read all the notes, now I just have to finish the postings. It's only a little less than two weeks so it won't be long before I'm back up to speed.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2006, 08:01:28 AM »

All right, Ye Olde Butt Cheeks, just who IS coming in to see Deceit and when are we having our get-together.  

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2006, 08:02:27 AM »

Well TPunk and I have been camping two or three times. By camping, I really mean staying in a tent.

Our friends family has a 4th of July gathering in their huge backyard up in Elmira. One is never far from the house to use good ol' indoor plumbing. We stayed a weekend at a Pennsylvania campsite a couple years back. Again, it was many campsites in close proximity and there were modern bathroom facilities. We brought coolers full of everything we needed, so it wasn't true camping. Still not something TPunk was crazy about.

And when a skunk came nosing around the sites, I wasn't too happy either.

vixmom

« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2006, 08:03:42 AM »

I spent last night watching oneof my Christmas presents... a DVD of Strangers on a Train.

This particular disc had two versions of the movie, the US release on the A side and the British "Re-release" on the B side.  The box said that the British version was slightly longer and left in scenes that had been shortened or removed from the US version because Bruno's "flamboyent" behavior might prove too distressing for the puritanical US audiences.. so I opted to watch the British version.

I never realized before last night that I had never actually seen this movie all the way through.  I was certainly familiar with the storyline and I knew certain scenes quite well...but I never sat and watched the entire movie before.

I cannot speak to definition, sound etc. with the authorithy of some, but I saw it and heard it just fine in all  its black and white spelndor and quite enjoyed it.

Another of my Christmas gifts was  North by Northwest so I may have to watch that tonight.

Then there is the Shogun miniseries, the Rumpole of the Bailey Series, the second disc of the Muppet show, the second disc of the Wind in the Willows series... oh we had a plethora of DVD's this Christmas!!
   :D
« Last Edit: January 05, 2006, 08:08:35 AM by vixmom »

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2006, 08:03:58 AM »

For some reason my parents bought one of those fold out RV things you pull behind your car. They had great ideas of family camping trips, I guess, but we did not use the thing ONE time outside of us kids occasionally having sleepovers in our driveway!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2006, 08:11:14 AM »

Good morning!

Beautiful day with temperatures already in the mid 50s. Stunning weather, but not for long.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2006, 08:13:35 AM »

Loved the backstage photos of DECEIT. I wish I could see the show. Sounds right up my alley. But there are NO cheap tickets to the West Coast at this time of year. Even NYC on e-savers is $200.

Jennifer

« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2006, 08:16:33 AM »

BK nice pictures and poster!

You talk a lot about the actors having trouble with their lines. I'm curious if Matt Ashford's soap experience makes memorizing a lot easier for him than for the others (they have to do like 30-40 pages a day!).

vixmom

« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2006, 08:19:19 AM »

When I was 19 -25 I used to go camping every August with some friends ina place called Big Indian in upstate New York.  It was state property and we just plunked our tents down , slept in sleeping bags on the ground, cooked our hotdogs and chicken & noodle stew over a campfire and kept our cooler with food  in the nearby mountain stream to keep the food cool.

There were no modern plumbing facilities.

When I was about 25 my then boyfriend and I found a campground where we put our tent on a grassy hill overlooking the Olympic sized built in pool, brought a coleman stove to cook our steaks over and kept our champagne in the cooler.  The camp owners' son came by with wood for our campfire every morning and it was a short walk to the rec center and  the hot showers and other indoor plumbing niceties

I never looked back!

Sine then it was hotel room and then when Vixdad and I married  we bought a timeshare with "trading" options... so now its a 2 bedrooms coop with whirlpool tubs and full kitchens and washers and dryers and TVs and DVD players!

Matt H.

« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2006, 08:21:17 AM »

DR Vixmom, I much prefer the British cut of STRANGERS ON A TRAIN, and that's the only way I ever watch it now. It's really just a few lines on the train meeting between Bruno and the Farley Granger character (can't think of his name), but it makes a BIG difference in the reading of Bruno's character.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2006, 08:21:21 AM »

Matt is never off the stage in Deceit and he speaks from the moment he enters right through to the end of the play.  Every other line in the show is his, and on top of that he has a really difficult four-page monolog in act one.  So, it's been an ordeal to learn it - he's got most of it down, but there are still word mistakes and minor stuff - we note those at every rehearsal - he should be fine by Monday.  

The other actor, who has a total of twelve pages of dialogue, is baffling.  I said that last night - twelve pages, how hard is it to learn twelve pages perfectly?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2006, 08:22:08 AM »

I think I shall now shower, and then get ready to go to the El Portal for an hour or two, to discuss the final set details.

Matt H.

« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2006, 08:22:09 AM »

I have to go jump in the shower now but will be back later to talk about my one and only camping trip (no, not that kind of camping, DR TCB!)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up