Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: WHEN IN ROME  (Read 29482 times)

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
Re:WHEN IN ROME
« Reply #60 on: January 05, 2006, 08:28:11 AM »

BK nice pictures and poster!

You talk a lot about the actors having trouble with their lines. I'm curious if Matt Ashford's soap experience makes memorizing a lot easier for him than for the others (they have to do like 30-40 pages a day!).

Funny, I would have thought it'd be the other way around.  I'd imagine that he would be used to having the teleprompter right there with his lines on it when he needed it.  That'd be a hard crutch to have taken away.  

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #61 on: January 05, 2006, 08:40:51 AM »

the Farley Granger character (can't think of his name)

I presume you are joking... surely you couldn't have forgotten Guy Haines!

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #62 on: January 05, 2006, 08:42:14 AM »

Good Almost Afternoon!

Got the phone calls done, and now I need to run to the post office and Trader Joe's before heading into rehearsal.

OH!  And I also got a call from Signature Theatre...  They need a pianist tomorrow for some auditions, so...  That'll kill a few hours.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #63 on: January 05, 2006, 08:45:06 AM »

As for learning lines... Most actors I've worked with have a harder time with a less amount of material.  Because they have fewer lines, there is actually more pressure to get them all right - if that makes sense.  And it's even harder if all of their material is not "all in a row" and spread out over a couple of scenes with "skips" in between.

Well... Yes... I'm babbling, so...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #64 on: January 05, 2006, 08:45:25 AM »

Oh... And again...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #65 on: January 05, 2006, 08:46:46 AM »

Thus far, it sounds like I'm the only one who likes roughing it out in the wilderness.  I love to go out hiking and camping, though it's been over a year since I've done any.  My favorite place to hike is the Jersey Pine Barrens, which is actually a national park in South Jersey.  The simple trails tend to be a mite well-travelled during the summer, but there are many more secluded treks one can take, too.  Just remember to bring along your deet, wear wool socks and steer clear of the Pineys who live out there.

Camping-wise, I prefer Lake Wawayanda up along the NJ/NY border.  The area is just beautiful and the surrounding hills make for a challenging hike (the Appalachian Trail makes its way along the lake.)  One would think that with its closeness with NYC that it would be like a resort, but I'm always surprised by how it never seems to be crowded with campers.

I've roughed it out in the woods a number of different ways, from staying in a nicely furnished cabin (with satellite TV) to laying on lumpy ground in a sleeping bag in a tent.  I hate the RV types of campgrounds--it makes me feel like I'm vacationing in a trailer park.  My best experience was a true deep woods trip to Mill's Pond in North Carolina about ten years ago.  It was a real "roughin' it" trip--about an hour's hike to the site, light food supplies that had to be stored hanging in the trees, fishing for some of our meals (fresh trout and baked potatoes--Yum!), and crowding ourselves with our sleeping bags into our "sleeps two" pup tents.  And, of course, we had to do our pooping in the woods.  It was a very spartan trip, but also a very fulfilling and spiritual one.  I would love to do something like that again someday.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2006, 08:47:58 AM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #66 on: January 05, 2006, 08:50:40 AM »

FJL: We've just had our first-ever reorder from Dress Circle for both Starfighter and Stages.  Not huge, but a good sign.

MBarnum

« Reply #67 on: January 05, 2006, 08:53:11 AM »

When I was growing up our family went camping quite often...my memories are of falling into the fire pit while the fire was going...those horrible outhouses that you would be afraid to sit in for fear of falling in....my little brother and I crammed into the front seat of the truck with my mom and dad, pulling a 5th wheeler, my dad driving (a stick shift) with a cigarette in one hand and a beer in the other...and a steep cliff on one side of the road the entire way up to the campground.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #68 on: January 05, 2006, 09:05:55 AM »

Yes, DR Vixmom, I was joking about Guy Haines, but I readily admit it was lame, lame, lame.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

vixmom

« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2006, 09:08:30 AM »

, my dad driving (a stick shift) with a cigarette in one hand and a beer in the other...and a steep cliff on one side of the road the entire way up to the campground.

:o

I got chills up my spine when I read this bit....I am scared of those mountain cliff roads... I always think we're going off the edge

Matt H.

« Reply #70 on: January 05, 2006, 09:09:40 AM »

I think I've talked about this before, but my one and only camping trip was one of the most miserable experiences of my life. We hiked up a mountain. That was OK. I was younger, and I've always enjoyed walking even with a backpack.

We got to the camp and pitched our tents. I was told to dig a trench around the tent. I couldn't understand why we were doing that. Later that night, it started raining, and it rained all night. The tent was waterproof, but I'd roll over in the night, my side or back would hit the tent and I'd get wet.

Ever needed to go to the bathroom in the woods when it's pouring down rain? Again, I held it as long as I could, but eventually, I just had to tramp out into the wet (it was only drizzling by then) and take care of business. Horrible, awful, miserable. I'll bet I didn't sleep half an hour. When I got back home, I slept most of that day.

vixmom

« Reply #71 on: January 05, 2006, 09:09:50 AM »

BK I just caught up on last nights posts... nice pictures thank you for sharing!

~~~~VIBES~~~~

for a better rehearsal and all props and sets in thier proper places

Matt H.

« Reply #72 on: January 05, 2006, 09:10:35 AM »

And now I'm off to lunch.

WBBL.

vixmom

« Reply #73 on: January 05, 2006, 09:10:56 AM »

and actors knowing all their lines

vixmom

« Reply #74 on: January 05, 2006, 09:13:06 AM »

FJL , Skip and bk congrats on the cd news!!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: January 05, 2006, 09:14:30 AM »

I shall now be on my way to the El Portal, after which I shall return.  I'm hoping not to be there too long.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #76 on: January 05, 2006, 09:14:37 AM »

What GREAT photos from Bruce Kimmel's New Thriller DECEIT!!

I love seeing photos of the performers - and we got the poster & the marquee!  The El Portal will be the place to be!  And opening on Friday, January 13, is PERFECT!!!

DR JOSE - I was thinking the same question about Mr Albanese....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #77 on: January 05, 2006, 09:17:25 AM »

As for learning lines... Most actors I've worked with have a harder time with a less amount of material.  Because they have fewer lines, there is actually more pressure to get them all right - if that makes sense.  And it's even harder if all of their material is not "all in a row" and spread out over a couple of scenes with "skips" in between.

Well... Yes... I'm babbling, so...

We did WE BOMED IN NEW HAVEN in college.  Before the read-through, I went through my normal practice of highlighting all my lines.  Except one that I missed.  It was my only line in a brief scene and was something simple like "Hell, no!"  Well, of course, I wound up not only missing that line in the read-through, but in just about every single rehearsal up to tech week.  The actor with the subsequent line would not utter a word so the scene always came to a dead halt.  The director began to applaud sarcastically when I did remember it.  At every performance, it felt as though everyone in the scene would turn anxiously my way when the line came up and then release a collective sigh of relief after I said it.  

Eh!--it was a lousy production, anyway.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

FJL

« Reply #78 on: January 05, 2006, 09:17:49 AM »

Bruce - The Dress Circle news really brightened Skip's morning (or early afternoon, actually) - even if it's not a huge reorder.

We'd been getting a few theaters and producers asking for scripts based on the CD or the CD publicity, but requests for scripts are now starting to come in from some high schools and colleges and that's clearly because of the CD.  Not sure how to handle those, but it feels nice that the show is being asked about, and that's thanks to the Cd and Kritzerland.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #79 on: January 05, 2006, 09:17:56 AM »

Uppity set designers?  Whew!

As Betty Hutton said to John Lund in THE PERILS OF PAULINE:

"If y'ar so great why ain't cha on Broadway instead barnstorming around the country from one whistlestop ta the next one jump ahead of the sheriff?  You're nothin' but a cheap, four-bit, two-timing four flusher.  I'm goin' back to the dress factory.  There's a heel runs that place, too.  But in between bein' a heel, now and then he has a kind word for ya!"

Betty is terrific!!!  I love Betty.  And if Betty Hutton or Carroll Baker or Allison Hayes can't be in EVERY movie, at least Annette Funicello should be in it!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2006, 09:19:59 AM by JRand55 »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #80 on: January 05, 2006, 09:18:43 AM »

yes, DR RODZINSKI, friend Matthew got an excellent example of volcanic crystal.  I had never seen one that color until we got that one in stock.  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #81 on: January 05, 2006, 09:20:41 AM »

Camping & fishing a couple of times for me.  And that was enough.  I have totally blacked in out of my conscience.

Ginny

« Reply #82 on: January 05, 2006, 09:22:23 AM »

Thursday greetings.  Last night I had a headache when I got home from work, so took Tylenol and went to bed.  The good news was waking up at 2:30am with NO headache; the bad news was being unable to go back to sleep.  I might have been dozing when the alarm went off at 5:30 - gonna be a long afternoon.

TOD - I used to say that my idea of roughing it was a hotel without a swimming pool.  Nowadays, I'd say roughing it is a hotel without an Internet computer for guests to use!

Actually, when I was a kid, my family went camping several times in rented pop-up tent campers.  As an adult I realized it would just be housework and cooking without all the modern conveniences we have at home.  No thanks.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #83 on: January 05, 2006, 09:23:54 AM »

Never met a typo I didn't like department:  Well Jose and Jason already beat me to the punch in the "rouging it" line (must be a J-name thing, eh?), so I guess I can't talk about dressing up in a smoling jacket (does anyone still wear a smoling jacket?), fishnet stockings and heels.  Or, maybe I can.  ;)

Betsy and I are getting divorced department:  and we're happy about it!!  Yes, folks, we're getting divorced from AO-Hell ASAP.  We took our first baby steps yesterday, when I registered:

www.jeffreykauffman.net  (Some of the buttons on the homepage are still pointing to placebos, including some funny ones with Latin).

It is nascent at the moment, but I have already started transferring over my AO-Hell site information.  And, you know what?  The Register.com Customer Service people SPEAK ENGLISH AND ARE ACTUALLY HELPFUL!!!  I'm in shock.

Rodzinski, if you like the Pagels book, I can recommend several others.  Obscure Biblical texts are a speciality of mine.  
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jennifer

« Reply #84 on: January 05, 2006, 09:27:09 AM »

Matt is never off the stage in Deceit and he speaks from the moment he enters right through to the end of the play.  Every other line in the show is his, and on top of that he has a really difficult four-page monolog in act one.  So, it's been an ordeal to learn it - he's got most of it down, but there are still word mistakes and minor stuff - we note those at every rehearsal - he should be fine by Monday.  

The other actor, who has a total of twelve pages of dialogue, is baffling.  I said that last night - twelve pages, how hard is it to learn twelve pages perfectly?

Well not everyone is good at memorizing!

The reason I asked about Matt is because I heard that soap actors are a pleasure to work with. Their work ethic is so much crazier than other mediums that they often find it ridiculously easy to memorize stuff.

Jennifer

« Reply #85 on: January 05, 2006, 09:32:52 AM »

Funny, I would have thought it'd be the other way around.  I'd imagine that he would be used to having the teleprompter right there with his lines on it when he needed it.  That'd be a hard crutch to have taken away.  

Granted I've never worked on a soap (maybe DR Elmore would know more), but I don't believe they use teleprompters. I believe the actors have to learn all their lines.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #86 on: January 05, 2006, 09:33:00 AM »

Nice new website, DR JMK.

Veni, Vidi....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #87 on: January 05, 2006, 09:33:38 AM »

Oh, dRSANDRA - to answer your question from yesterday.

Dr S. Freud suffered venus envy.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #88 on: January 05, 2006, 09:59:12 AM »

My favorite thing about PAULINE is Billy De Wolfe, hilarious as Mr. Timmy Timmins.

"RoWWnd. Like an ORRR-ange."

There should be an Oscar category for people who aren't really even supporting roles, but just micro-roles that add something to a picture. Although I know some people have taken home Oscars for mere minutes of screen time.

vixmom

« Reply #89 on: January 05, 2006, 10:03:34 AM »

JMK I loved your story!!! Lovely ending.  I highly recommend that everyoinbe hightail it over there and have a quick read  it is indeed a short short story and well worth the read!!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Up