Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE UGLY  (Read 16504 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE UGLY
« on: January 08, 2006, 12:35:03 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes had the good, the bad, and the ugly, and now it is time for you to post until the good, the bad, and the ugly cows come home.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2006, 12:48:04 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE UGLY
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2006, 12:36:33 AM »

And the word of the day is: LOGARITHM!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2006, 12:39:00 AM »

And now - Dino at the piano.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2006, 12:51:43 AM »

I'm trying to wrap my head around this video projector issue. What might work is if it has a switch or setting that allows you to dim it. Just dim it all the way to black when you don't want it seen, then it is still on until you need it. Hopefully the guy who lent it has the answer for you.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2006, 12:55:33 AM »

BK, what about having someone just sit at the projector (if there's room) and put a piece of cardboard in front of the lens (but not too close so that the heat of the lamp doesn't burn the cardboard)?  That would mean you might need another person, but then you wouldn't have to turn off the projector.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2006, 12:57:46 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2006, 12:55:56 AM »

Just an idea. ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2006, 05:16:13 AM »

Dear BK:

Is the projector by chance running through a computer? If so, try hitting the "b" key when you want the screen to bo blank.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Michael

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2006, 06:20:28 AM »

BK:
Since there are chapter stops.
Have black leader chapter stops inbetween each video chapter. (Make sure they are longer than you actually need) and when it is time for the next clip just advance to the next chapter.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2006, 06:21:11 AM »

DR Elmoore:

I hope you are feeling better today.

And how was Souvenir?
Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2006, 06:43:59 AM »

No DBMBARNUM my kurta is still in the hands of the US mail, but I expect it this week.

I also received my ordination today from the Universal Life Church - you may call me Reverand.  I can now also perform marriages here in the State of Indiana.  

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2006, 06:49:00 AM »

Hmmm....negativity.....

Sounds like some of the projects I have been involved in.  BUT even though it IS what it IS....as they say.  It will still be good.  I guess the constriction now is time.

And MR BK, as you say, right now you are concentrating on what is wrong - remember there is much that is right.

FIND a deck of cards at your house and carry the Ace of Hearts around with you today.  You don't have show it to anyone, just have it in your pocket.  It will stop the negativity around you.  

Try it!!

MBarnum

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2006, 06:52:11 AM »

Wow, the most Reverend JRand55! Congrats!

MBarnum

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2006, 06:53:04 AM »

Vibes for BK!

MBarnum

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2006, 06:57:42 AM »

Last night I watched the Richard Harrison starred spaghetti western VENGEANCE (1968). I enjoyed it!

For all of my life I have stayed away from those Italian westerns...when I was a kid I can recall watching a few of them with my dad and finding them much too disturbing for my 7 or 8 year old mind...the violence and the dirt just made me sick to my stomach. But now I am going to give them another chance.

I have another couple of Richard Harrison westerns around here which I will try to get to soon and I think I have a copy of a Ken Clark one as well.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2006, 07:03:30 AM »

Ken Clark in that spy movie is my favorite!  Next to the Giant Leeches of course!

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2006, 07:06:53 AM »

I know I've been rather e/t these last few months for work reasons, etc... but where has DR Hisaka been??

bk - good vibes for your tech today.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2006, 07:17:42 AM »

Good morning!

We have a glorious SUnday morning here with cloudless blue skies and temperatures rising to the high 50s.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2006, 07:18:50 AM »

I actually have a semi-date today. My friend Jeff is introducing me to a friend of his I've never met because he thinks we have a lot in common and may hit it off. We're all having lunch at a Chinese buffet around 1 p.m. so I am excited about that!

Matt H.

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2006, 07:20:16 AM »

That is GREAT news about the upcoming CD of BAKER STREET. Now, I'll finally be able to hear what BAKER STREET sounds like in stereo! The score is just OK to my ears, but it'll still be a treat hearing it with more expansive sound.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2006, 07:21:54 AM »

Good vibes to DR MATTH!!

Matt H.

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2006, 07:22:05 AM »

As for media possibilities for the day, I still have that episode of IN JUSTICE from Friday night to watch. I didn't record anything last night while I was gone, so that may finish off things on the DVR and I can get to DVDs until tonight's network TV kicks in.

Most networks are airing new programming tonight.

Matt H.

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2006, 07:23:06 AM »

Good vibes to DR MATTH!!

Thanks, DR JRand. It's been quite a while since I've been on anything resembling a date. Should be interesting.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2006, 07:30:33 AM »

Good morning, all!  Thanks for the good wishes.

I loved SOUVENIR; both Donald Corren and Judy were quite wonderful, and I found the play to be very funny and, ultimately, quiye moving.  I'm sorry it's closing.   Kritzerland should record it.

The second act was over by 10:15, and by the time Charlotte and I were settled into a taxi, my teeth coldn't stop chattering, and I told her I thought I'd picked up a chill.   I dropped her off, and by the time I was home, I was shaking so much I could hardly type my brief note last night.  I was in bed by 11:15, and by 12:15 I was relocated to the bathroom where I spent a couple of hours battling nausea.  I fell asleep at some point because the alarm said 4:37 when I next moved out of bed, and I slept until 9:35 or so this morning.  I feel achey, and my body hurts.  I have survived the worst now, but I'm not leaving the house today.

I found the question on "chock full" fascinating to do some Googling, and here's what I learned from the Maven's Word of the Day:

I can only offer suggestions; the origin of chock-full , which means 'full to the limit; crammed', is uncertain, though much ink has been spilled on the question.

The earliest forms of the word, from the same early fifteenth century text, are chokkefulle and chekefull ; after that the word doesn't appear until the seventeenth century, so it's difficult to judge how much weight to give to either of these forms. Also, the later tradition has choke-full as a frequent variant in British English; chuck-full was also found from the seventeenth century onwards.

The full part, which is not disputed, is the familiar word full ; it's the first element that's problematic. Some possibilities raised by these forms are that the word represents "cheek-full," that is, 'with the cheeks stuffed full' (the Old English word for cheek could give rise to either the "chokke" or "cheke" forms in Middle English); that the first element is the same as our modern chock 'wedge for holding an object in place'; that the first element represents Middle English chokken 'to cram', from an Old French word for 'to thrust', with the compound thus meaning 'crammed full'; and that the first element represents the ancestor of choke , with the compound meaning 'full to the point of choking'. This last has been very pervasive, and is the reason choke-full has been common, but choke-full is chiefly literary; spoken English doesn't suggest a link to choke .

Though many forms have been recorded for this compound, chalk-full isn't one of them. Despite the appearance of the other variants--nineteenth-century lexicographers had difficulty deciding which form should be used for the headword--the only current recommended form is chock-full , hyphenated.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2006, 07:39:14 AM »

And the word of the day is: LOGARITHM!
Ah, yes, the Logarythms, a percussion ensemble popular during the Summer of Love, 1968.  As I recall, they disbanded when the group's leader was arrested for praticing dentestry without a licence.  Never had a recording contract, all that remains are bootleg tapes and a couple of patients who can't get that pounding beat out of their skulls.

::)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2006, 07:40:53 AM »

Well, I need to tidy the house up a bit just in case we come back here to watch a movie or something after lunch.

WBBL.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2006, 07:56:21 AM »

Good Morning!

Well, I made it out of bed a little after 9:00, and I got my workout started a little after 10:30.

Whew!

And since I've just had my breakfast (cereal)...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2006, 07:56:54 AM »

BK - Best of Vibes for Today's Rehearsal and Tech.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2006, 07:58:29 AM »

And I guess I'll go ahead and make today an Ask BK Day (at least for myself)...

Is tomorrow's preview a paying audience preview?  Or more like an invited dress rehearsal?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2006, 08:01:41 AM »

And as for the projector issue...

As DR Michael Shayne suggested earlier... If you can set up blank screens as part of your iMovie - and even program the Auto-Pause function so it does not advance to the next segment until someone pushes a button... Well, that would seem to be the easiest way.  *I know when I've had to put together basic slide shows, I've sequenced a couple of slides together, and then when I needed a "pause", I just programmed a black screen.

*And there should be a setting on the projector that allows you turn off the display feature.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2006, 08:15:28 AM »

Well... Time to putter around here for a bit before heading out for today's shows...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up