Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: THE PRIME RIB  (Read 16323 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:THE PRIME RIB
« Reply #210 on: January 16, 2006, 11:23:16 PM »

It was a great day in NYC.  And a very long one, but that was a good thing.  When I headed out earlier this afternoon, I first made my way to Columbus Circle to check out some things, and then it was down to the Village to check out a few more things, as well as have lunch with my friend, Stuart.

We settled into the Cornelia Street Cafe.  It was my first time there, but I'm sure I'll be returning sooner rather than later.  A nice, varied menu with reasonable prices, and the space itself is deceptively big.  From the outside, it looks like it just has a few tables, but once you step inside, there's a bar area with some tables, then another room with tables off to the left, and yet another larger room in the back.  And downstairs, there's a small cabaret-ish space where they have live music and literary readings.

The food was wonderful - smoked salmon for me, and boudin blanc for Stuart - and we had a wonderful time catching up.

Then...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #211 on: January 16, 2006, 11:24:43 PM »

Then it was back uptown to meet up with DRs TPunk and Rodzinski at the Hershey Store.  We wandered here.  We wandered there.  We took pictures of me in front of the Lestat marquee.  -I shall post those once I get back to DC tomorrow.  And then we headed over to Barrymore's...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #212 on: January 16, 2006, 11:27:40 PM »

As DR elmore already accounted, it was a wonderful gathering.  It was great seeing DR Ginny and her DH Richard again.  And it was also just great for me to see the "gang" again too: elmore, Jason, Ben, Ant, TPunk, Rodzinski.  I haven't been back up to NYC since I started working on Damn Yankees which was back in early November.  It was nice to be home and among friends for the evening.

*And the Mississippi Mud Pie was very good too.

Pictures were snapped at the gathering, but they were snapped by others, so... We shall await their imminent posting.
Make Your Own Luck.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #213 on: January 16, 2006, 11:30:36 PM »

Certainly the two reviews I posted loved Matt - have no idea what Variety thought of the actors, and don't really care.

The two you posted is making them smile. Many of us have followed Matt's career since the 1980s and know what the guy can do when given the material. You don't want to read the variety one. To suffice I think he missed the boat...  Many on the Conn would love to see the play but for many of us it would have to resort to hijacking, robbery and so forth to get to California....

On to a more pleasant topic....

I am glad that Brokeback Mtn and Walk the LIne did well...
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #214 on: January 16, 2006, 11:33:15 PM »

After walking Ginny and Richard back to their hotel, Jason, Ben, Ant and I took the subway back down to 14th street.  Ben and Ant headed up to their flat, and Jason and I headed over to Splash for Musical Mondays.

The place wasn't crowded, but it was well attended.  There were some video clips that I hadn't seen before and/or in a long time.  -And there was also some other "entertainment" around the room which just had Jason and I repeatedly shaking our heads in disbelief and semi-disgust.  "Get a room!!!"

But we stuck it out till the very end when they ran the Tony clip from Dreamgirls.  On our previous visits, that clip was shown earlier in the evening, but tonight it was back where it usually is as the last clip of the evening before the tables and chairs are cleared for the dance floor.

And then it was back out into the not-as-cold-as-it-was and back on the subway to our respected home environments.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #215 on: January 16, 2006, 11:35:34 PM »

Like I said earlier, it really was a wonderful day for me.  It was great being back in NYC for the first time in over two months, and it was great being able to spend some time with some good friends.

I have three weeks left of Damn Yankees, and, now, more than ever, I'm looking forward to coming back to my new home.

*And I also received all my official paperwork from the Local 802.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #216 on: January 16, 2006, 11:37:22 PM »

And speaking of Local 802, I need to drop some forms off at the office in the morning before getting back on the road down to DC.  I'm hoping to get back on the NJ Turnpike by 11:00 so that I won't get caught in the Baltimore and DC afternoon rush hours.  -That will also give me some breathing room back in Fairfax before I head in for tomorrow night's show.  So...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #217 on: January 16, 2006, 11:42:12 PM »

BK - Congrats on the reviews.

Personally, I'm one of those people who actually likes reading reading reviews.  The good and the bad and the in-between.  I find them fun and funny.  And by reading "all of them", it just creates a sense of balance for me.  -I guess I'm just weird that way.

*And I have to say that the Lestat reviews have definitely provided some giggles for me.

**And as many a show has proved in recent times, good reviews don't necessarily insure the success - financially speaking - of a show, and bad reviews don't always kill a show.  It's all about the word of mouth and the marketing and the advertising budget.

Showbiz is just show biz.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #218 on: January 16, 2006, 11:44:09 PM »

Well... I'm planning on getting up in just over six hours, so...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #219 on: January 17, 2006, 12:01:26 AM »

BK - Congrats on the reviews.

Personally, I'm one of those people who actually likes reading reading reviews.  The good and the bad and the in-between.  I find them fun and funny.  And by reading "all of them", it just creates a sense of balance for me.  -I guess I'm just weird that way.

*And I have to say that the Lestat reviews have definitely provided some giggles for me.

**And as many a show has proved in recent times, good reviews don't necessarily insure the success - financially speaking - of a show, and bad reviews don't always kill a show.  It's all about the word of mouth and the marketing and the advertising budget.

Showbiz is just show biz.

You make some good points DR Jose..... We have been promoting it on the Conn and one of the gals on that board saw the play and was very impressed with.... A big selling point in my humble opinion is word of mouth....

Matt doing a fantastic job is giving the Conn osmething great to talk about also.. His role on Days has been sidelined again and the show has not given any viewers anything good to say for a long time. It is nice ot see the good
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up