Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: CRITIQUING THE CRITICS  (Read 14850 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:CRITIQUING THE CRITICS
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2006, 07:35:20 AM »

And der B and I both must get ourselves haircuts today.  Yesterday, Mommy agreed about der B needing some work done: "He doesn't need it cut, he needs it whacked!"
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2006, 07:40:25 AM »

Oooh... I keep meaning to get a copy of the Bolling Suites for my own collection.  -Well, at least on CD, I still have my LPs.

*And one of my favorite recitals I accompanied in college ended with a performance of the First Suite for Flute and Jazz Piano complete with Bass and Drums.  Very cool.

I've been a fan of Bolling's ever since I first saw WILLIE AND PHIL and fell in love with his score for that movie.  I think I have just about every one of the jazz suite recordings.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2006, 07:40:54 AM »

Finally, in the spirit of our esteemed BK's comments about audience reaction compared to paid critics, I suggest everyone check the comments posted at the LA Times On-Line.

There is the possibility, of course, that the paid critics aren't being paid by the right people.  Our BK needs to check with his producers on this.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2006, 08:08:33 AM »

m.c. update

I am now listening to The Best of Sam Cooke.

That is all.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2006, 08:58:59 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  Is this a slow news day here at haineshisway.com?  We need action, baby, that's what I'M talkin' about.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2006, 09:14:34 AM »

9:15 and no one in the jernt but ME?  I'm going to give everyone a bad review!

Jennifer

« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2006, 09:17:58 AM »

It looks like ABC is putting on another 1 hour results show for DANCING WITH THE STARS.

Also (and i had no idea they were doing this) it seems like FOX has moved SKATING WITH CELEBS to mondays at 8pm (before 24). This is its regular timeslot.

Apparently the show has no audience voting.  And it has already been filmed.  And (I find this weird) it's being shown sunday nights at 10pm in canada.  

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2006, 09:24:35 AM »

Good Afternoon!

Is this a slow news day here on HHW?

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2006, 09:26:16 AM »

Oops...  I didn't see Page 2 before I had posted the above post...  But still...

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2006, 09:26:21 AM »

As predicted, the Daily News is also a complete pan - that makes us 100% bad reviews with all the major press.  I guess we oughta close the show, only there's this pesky thing, the audience, who seem to be enjoying themselves tremendously.  Oh, well.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2006, 09:28:30 AM »

But at least I got a good hair cut!

*I will say, that I will miss my current barber.  She always does a wonderful job.  And the price can't be beat either - only $12.00!  I do like going to Chelsea Barber in NYC, but the $25.00 does seem a bit steep.  But when they put that hot towel around your face at the end of the cut... Ooohh... Aaahh...

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2006, 09:31:30 AM »

As predicted, the Daily News is also a complete pan - that makes us 100% bad reviews with all the major press.  I guess we oughta close the show, only there's this pesky thing, the audience, who seem to be enjoying themselves tremendously.  Oh, well.

I tried to track down the LA Times review online, but couldn't seem to find it on their website.  Perhaps it was only available in print?  Or to CalendarLive subscribers.  No biggie... Just curious.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2006, 09:35:25 AM »

...And after the out and out pans that Lestat received in San Francisco, I'm guessing it will be a bonafide hit once it opens on Broadway.

;)

-Well, at least I hope it will.

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2006, 09:37:16 AM »

And as for The Drowsy Chaperone coming into New York... Well, as long as Chita Rivera is occupying the Schoenfeld...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2006, 09:38:56 AM »

Hmmm...

Judy Kuhn to Fill in for Woman in White's Maria Friedman

I think I may actually want to see this show now...  Hmm...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2006, 09:41:24 AM »

DR Jose I have also been trying to track down the reviews. If anyone finds them can you please post the links.  I prefer to read the entire reviews as opposed to just reading snippets.

Oh btw the review that BK mentioned at reviewplays.com gives away everything.  The reviewer really likes the play.  But my gosh what a terrible way to review something.  HE wrote it like he was writing for one of those spoiler review sites (where you give everything away line by line!)

Oh btw2, there is an LAtimes.com site.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2006, 09:42:09 AM »

...And after the out and out pans that Lestat received in San Francisco, I'm guessing it will be a bonafide hit once it opens on Broadway.

;)

-Well, at least I hope it will.

;D

I hope so, too...just for you!

Still..."Wicked" was panned here (mostly mixed, though...with strong kudos for the leading ladies), and it was a sensational success with the audience.

There's a vast gulf between "Wicked" and "Lestat" when it comes to musicality and theatrical "wow," in my oipinion.  "Wicked" had it and "Lestat" falls way short.

But...what do I know?  I do know that "Wicked" got standing ovations both times I saw it.  Nobody stood for "Lestat"...except to leave the theater.

I hope they can save it.  I stick by my assessment of a long, long, tuneless and mercilessly expository first act.  It's gotta change and change soon.  And Lestat NEEDS a big number all his own.  Without both those things happening, I don't imagine many theatergoers will stick around for the rewards of the 2nd act.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2006, 09:45:20 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2006, 09:44:55 AM »

I've been a fan of Bolling's ever since I first saw WILLIE AND PHIL and fell in love with his score for that movie.  I think I have just about every one of the jazz suite recordings.

He and his trio would play Blues Alley in Georgetown regularly during my high school and college years.  The intimate space was the perfect environment to hear his music... Live!  *Although the cover charge per set got to be prohibitive at times for the starving student.

And my piano teacher in college would perform the Sonata for Two Pianists (one jazz, one classical) with the head of the Jazz department.  Very sunny music.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2006, 09:46:00 AM »

For DECEIT, here is the la daily news, although i think bk said it wasn't good: http://www.dailynews.com/stage/ci_3417514

And here are those excellent reader reviews:
http://www.calendarlive.com/stage/305102,0,2848556,reviews.event
« Last Edit: January 20, 2006, 09:46:43 AM by Jennifer »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2006, 09:48:04 AM »

I hope so, too...just for you!

Still..."Wicked" was panned here (mostly mixed, though...with strong kudos for the leading ladies), and it was a sensational success with the audience.

There's a vast gulf between "Wicked" and "Lestat" when it comes to musicality and theatrical "wow," in my oipinion.  "Wicked" had it and "Lestat" falls way short.

But...what do I know?  I do know that "Wicked" got standing ovations both times I saw it.  Nobody stood for "Lestat"...except to leave the theater.

I hope they can save it.  I stick by my assessment of a long, long, tuneless and mercilessly expository first act.  It's gotta change and change soon.  And Lestat NEEDS a big number all his own.  Without both those things happening, I don't imagine many theatergoers will stick around for the rewards of the 2nd act.

Well... I'll be seeing the show next Thursday, so...

And I also know that lots(!) of work is currently being done on the show right now, but I believe that most of the big changes will not be put into the show until New York.  So...

There's no business like show business.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2006, 09:48:09 AM »

I'm at work...I just HAD to get out of the house!  

I'm well-rested, but still feel out of sorts and disoriented.  Rather like being on the outside looking in....a casual observer of myself...and I'm much too critical of me, I find.

But maybe it's just the residual effects of whatever affliction I've been under.

Still a tad grumpy, I am.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2006, 09:51:08 AM »

For amusement sake, I went back to the Daily News site and searched the musical I alluded to in today's notes, the one that LA critics fell all over themselves to praise to the skies (despite the fact that the show was one of the most critically-reviled musicals of its season in NY) - guess what?  This same critic LOVED IT - it was THE BEST - it was GREAT.  I feel better now.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2006, 09:58:12 AM »

I'm at work...I just HAD to get out of the house!  

I'm well-rested, but still feel out of sorts and disoriented.  Rather like being on the outside looking in....a casual observer of myself...and I'm much too critical of me, I find.

But maybe it's just the residual effects of whatever affliction I've been under.

Still a tad grumpy, I am.

Sometimes just a change a scene - literally - can do wonders for one's disposition, health, etc.

*And since it's Friday, at least you "have" to be home the next two days.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2006, 10:15:42 AM »

Critical success or lack thereof in New York or L.A. certainly doesn't mean the same will happen in the other place, as everyone is saying.  Compare the reception of DOUBT in California to its reception in New York.  But more recently, you can look at THE WILD PARTY and SMELL OF THE KILL, both big critical failures in NY, but getting nice press in L.A.  (I think the L.A. Times said that SMELL OF THE KILL bristles with dark wit or something like that, while it failed completely in NY.)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2006, 10:17:19 AM »

Maybe we should do a quote ad with all bad quotes!

One of my favorite lines pointed out to me (can't remember WHICH pan, there are so many) was that one of our actors was "miscast and misused".  Say what?  If you're miscast how can you be misused?  Conversely, if you're misused how can you be miscast.  I understand if someone is miscast.  I understand if someone is misused, but to be both miscast and misused - now THAT is a triumph!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2006, 10:18:17 AM »

Thanks for the links, DRJENNIFER.  The paying audience - who have friends who will PAY for tickets - love the show!

Congrats to MR BK, cast, staff & crew of DECEIT for being a HIT with the audience!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2006, 10:18:32 AM »

Have fun in Boston, DRJASON....say hi to Rob and Amber!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2006, 10:19:22 AM »

Hmmmm.....TOD:

DVD: The Bad Sleep Well & Finding Neverland

CD: Garth Brooks, the limited series.  A six CD set I got at Goodwill for 2.99!

VHS:  Sodom & Gomorrah.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2006, 10:19:56 AM »

Perhaps the review was miswritten. :)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2006, 10:22:32 AM »

FJL: Exactly.  The LA critics love to praise anything that completely failed in NY.  In the case of La Chiusa's Wild Party, that was one of the worst-reviewed shows ever, and I saw it and am here to tell you it was one of the most excruciating evenings of theater I've ever seen.  The fact that it got unanimous raves in LA for a waiver theater production directed by a not very talented person, well, I rest my case.  I said it earlier - had we gotten raves from these yokels I would be worried about my play.  It's much better we got this reaction if we're seriously trying to get to NY.  I'll give another example of why I feel this way - Accomplice, Rupert Holmes' very entertaining but completely convoluted play, got unabashed raves across the board from every major critic - it was the best, the greatest and NY was in for a treat for this show that started in LA.  Well, it came in to NY all right.  I happened to be there the night after it opened and went to go see it.  Only it wasn't playing because it had already closed - after one performance and horrible reviews.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2006, 10:24:23 AM by bk »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up