Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: CRITIQUING THE CRITICS  (Read 14854 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re:CRITIQUING THE CRITICS
« Reply #60 on: January 20, 2006, 10:23:35 AM »

...And after the out and out pans that Lestat received in San Francisco, I'm guessing it will be a bonafide hit once it opens on Broadway.

;)

-Well, at least I hope it will.

;D

I just came back from Chelsea Music, the music prep house copying my score for Monday's recording.  Chelsea did the music prep on LESTAT, and we talked about the orchestrations for LESTAT, which Paul says are quite good and intelligently planned for the fact it's got 3 keyboards.  WICKED in the theatre  sounds like there are only 3 keyboards, all cheesy,  playing it.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #61 on: January 20, 2006, 10:23:45 AM »

Well...  My New Balance Running Shoes are on, and I've donned my running apparel...  And now it's back down to the Tidal Basin...

Pray for Rosemary's Baby.  ;)

See you "five miles" from now.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #62 on: January 20, 2006, 10:25:00 AM »

I just came back from Chelsea Music, the music prep house copying my score for Monday's recording.  Chelsea did the music prep on LESTAT, and we talked about the orchestrations for LESTAT, which Paul says are quite good and intelligently planned for the fact it's got 3 keyboards.  WICKED in the theatre  sounds like there are only 3 keyboards, all cheesy,  playing it.

Well... It better have three keyboards... Since I'll be on Keys 3.

:D
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #63 on: January 20, 2006, 10:29:52 AM »

Good Keyboard  3 vibes, DRJOSE...  And what a trip sitting in the pit with the son of the Penguin!!  Small world.  That's why I always talk to EVERYONE.  EVERYONE has a great story, or at least a good one.  And people love to talk about themselves.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #64 on: January 20, 2006, 10:30:38 AM »

What's all this talk about a SQUID book?  You guys is pikers....I am awaiting my DVD about a wrestling calamari!!!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #65 on: January 20, 2006, 10:31:23 AM »

DR MBARNUM....maybe you should think Home Equity....and if you are using Oil Heat....maybe now would be the time to convert to natural gas....might be cheaper since you have to buy a new furnace anyway.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #66 on: January 20, 2006, 10:32:24 AM »

Whatever shortcomings the NY house orchestra has are in no way what was heard at the Curran Theater -- the music for "Wicked" sounded glorious!

As for Paul's assessment of "Lestat's" orchestrations, that score needs every advantage it can get, at present.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2006, 10:42:58 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: January 20, 2006, 10:40:21 AM »

Whatever shortcomings the NY house orchestra has are in no way what was heard at the Curran Theater -- the music for "Wicked" sounded glorious!

If you saw WICKED before it opened in New York, you heard the original orchestrations.  Mr Schwartz supervised a lot of reworking by keyboard men in New York.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #68 on: January 20, 2006, 10:47:04 AM »

If you saw WICKED before it opened in New York, you heard the original orchestrations.  Mr Schwartz supervised a lot of reworking by keyboard men in New York.

For what it's worth, the cast album doesn't sound nearly as good as it sounded here live.  I figured that went with the territory, though.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2006, 10:47:23 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #69 on: January 20, 2006, 10:48:31 AM »

DR MBARNUM....maybe you should think Home Equity....and if you are using Oil Heat....maybe now would be the time to convert to natural gas....might be cheaper since you have to buy a new furnace anyway.

Natural gas is not the cheap alternative any more.  Natural gas prices are soaring and will only get higher.

Electric is the cheapest energy source out there.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2006, 10:49:29 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #70 on: January 20, 2006, 10:52:26 AM »

Electric heat!  I remember when Reddy Kilowatt used to talk about a Total Electric Home!!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #71 on: January 20, 2006, 11:08:03 AM »

Friday!!!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #72 on: January 20, 2006, 11:12:36 AM »

This weekend will be the first one in about two and a half months in which I do not have to do anything at all.  And I plan on keeping it that way.  
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jennifer

« Reply #73 on: January 20, 2006, 11:25:42 AM »

RE: the LA Daily News review.

When I started to read it I was very impressed.  The reviewer started off writing very well and made a point to say how he didn't think it was right to spoil the show. And he was wondering how he was going to write a review without spoiling things for people.

I was actually thinking that even though he didn't like the play, that he was most likely going to say it in a very kind and well thought out way.

Not.

After the first few lines, he started to get obnoxious.  He gave away plot points left and right (well guising them in little bullet points).  

I could actually admire someone who can thoughtfully say why they don't like something, while being kind.  But this guy went and basically did everything he said he wasn't going to do (spill the plot points).

But I will say one more thing.  BK, re: shows like The Wild Party.  It might not have gotten great reviews in NY.  But there were many people who really liked it.  There are plenty of really bad shows that are completely incoherent, and this surely was not one of them.  So I don't think it was a bad thing for it to get raves in LA.  Just because you did not care for it, does not mean it was bad.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #74 on: January 20, 2006, 11:46:51 AM »

This weekend will be the first one in about two and a half months in which I do not have to do anything at all.  And I plan on keeping it that way.  

I love weekends like that!  8)

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #75 on: January 20, 2006, 12:07:55 PM »

Good day one and all!!!

BK, let those who love the play spread the word and let the idiotic critics sit in their doo doo pile happily!

The director is going to allow another guy to take the role but he has his work cut off for showtime is the end of March.  Should be interesting to say the least....

What is in my stuff right now....

Lets see:

In my car I have Best of the Eagles.

Right now in my CD player I have five CD's lined up to play: Bond, Christina Ashford, James Galway and the Chieftains In Ireland, Lisa Lynne, and Van Morrison and Georgie Fame.....  I know an interesting mix!  :D

The tape deck has Faith Hill

DVD player has Mona Lisa Smile on the DVD side

Older VCR has a copy of Glenroe

Continued Broken leg vibes for the cast and crew of Deceit!!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2006, 12:11:35 PM by DakotaCelt »
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: January 20, 2006, 12:14:36 PM »

Well, the bad news today in Manhattan is that the asshole transit workers union rejected the new contract today.  God knows what this means; I guess their still not getting enough "respect."  May they rot in hell.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #77 on: January 20, 2006, 12:23:22 PM »

Well, the bad news today in Manhattan is that the asshole transit workers union rejected the new contract today.  God knows what this means; I guess their still not getting enough "respect."  May they rot in hell.

Why are you sending them to Indiana?  :P

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: January 20, 2006, 12:29:28 PM »

Why are you sending them to Indiana?  :P

LOL!

I thought hell was Middletown, Ohio!  
« Last Edit: January 20, 2006, 12:29:41 PM by elmore3003 »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #79 on: January 20, 2006, 12:43:43 PM »

Jennifer, there are people who like every show - it doesn't mean the show is good, it just means that some people like it.  The Lippa Wild Party, while hardly perfect, is much better than the La Chiusa.  And my point was that it was entirely predictable that the LA critics would embrace something the NY critics hated with a passion (and audiences, too - the show didn't run three weeks).  They loved it here because it's a pretentious show - they LOVE pretentious here.  And I've said it before - the reviews of The Drowsy Chaperone here made it seem like the show was the best musical since My Fair Lady.  If that same show went into NY with no changes, I'm sorry, they'd have a rude awakening.

Tomovoz

« Reply #80 on: January 20, 2006, 12:44:21 PM »

CD:  I listened  the Philip Glass opera " AKHNATEN" the other day. I just don't "get" Glass.  Pretentious and repetitive twaddle!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

MBarnum

« Reply #81 on: January 20, 2006, 12:54:15 PM »

I don 't think I can do the home equity thing again since I did that last year...and bought my new car! LOL!

I have decided to go with oil...but am trying to figure out if I can survice 4 weeks without heat and wait for the floor furnace...or take the wall furnace and destroy the old fashioned molding that is along the floor and the ceiling  :P

MBarnum

« Reply #82 on: January 20, 2006, 12:57:04 PM »

Media check:

DVD player: WAR OF THE COLOSSAL BEAST and HOW TO MAKE A MONSTER

VCR: nothing

CD player: Something middle eastern I believe.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: January 20, 2006, 01:01:31 PM »

CD:  I listened  the Philip Glass opera " AKHNATEN" the other day. I just don't "get" Glass.  Pretentious and repetitive twaddle!

I agree.  He's the absolute worst and he makes a lot of money selling "music" to rich fools.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #84 on: January 20, 2006, 01:02:52 PM »

I love singing Philip Glass tunes!

Ah!  Ah!  Ah!  Ah!
Ah!  Ah!  Ah!  Ah!
Ah!  Ah!  Ah!  Ah!
Ah!  Ah!  Ah!  Ah!

AH!  AH!  AH!  AH!
AH!  AH!  AH!  AH!
AH!  AH!  AH!  AH!
AH!  AH!  AH!  AH!

Ah!  Ah!  Ah!  Ah!
Ah!  Ah!  Ah!  Ah!
Ah!  Ah!  Ah!  Ah!
Ah!  Ah!  Ah!  Ah!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Tomovoz

« Reply #85 on: January 20, 2006, 01:07:50 PM »

Good to know I am not alone! Emperor's new clothes!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #86 on: January 20, 2006, 01:14:30 PM »

Good afternoon!

Sorry to have been E&T for most of the day. I did have a visitor this morning, and suffice to say I was busy with him. After lunch, he was on his way, and I had an afternoon of videos to enjoy.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #87 on: January 20, 2006, 01:18:21 PM »

It's a beautiful day here. Temps in the mid-60s and just glorious outside. It has been a very warm January. And 60s tomorrow as well.

Matt H.

« Reply #88 on: January 20, 2006, 01:20:21 PM »

I started my afternoon with last night's CSI. Excellent case involving a love triangle involving a mother, daughter, and the daughter's boy friend. A second case was tied in with Nick's kidnapping that closed last season. I didn't think this one was as well documented for the audience. I saw the brilliant kidnapping episode last season and I still had questions after watching last night's episode.

Matt H.

« Reply #89 on: January 20, 2006, 01:24:22 PM »

Next was last night's SMALLVILLE. This episode brought us one step closer to Clark revealing his secret to Lana and also the growing attachment of Lana and Lex.

And try as I might, I couldn't shed a tear for the Smallville sheriff. She has operated on mmy last nerve for several seasons.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up