Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE WEIRDLY PLACED "R"  (Read 27750 times)

Ginny

Re:THE WEIRDLY PLACED "R"
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2006, 07:15:38 AM »

Last-day-of-January greetings!  Today I'm doing 2 discussion leader trainings for To Kill a Mockingbird, so prolly won't be online much.

DR Michael Shayne - Happy, happy birthday!

DR vixmom - thanks for the Oscar info.  DH Richard and I have some movie seein' to do - we usually try at least to see the 5 Best Picture nominees between today and awards night.  We haven't seen any of them.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2006, 07:16:45 AM »

Page 2 Harper Lee dance...
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jennifer

« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2006, 07:23:16 AM »

Happy Birthday DR Michael Shayne.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2006, 07:32:23 AM »

DR Cillaliz: Congrats on the new home! Too bad they didn't leave it clean. Maybe they are going over before the official closing and finishing up. I hope so.

When I sold my mom's house last year, I left a new litter box and bag of litter in case their kitty needed it right away, a phone list with the plumber, a/c, pizza places, etc., the names of the next-door neighbors, and a history of the house including the story of the hole in the bedroom door, and a working lawn mower.

I wanted them to remember their first home-buying experience as a pleasant one.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2006, 07:35:02 AM »

Vixmom, when one moves out of a house, is it customary to take all the light bulbs?
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2006, 07:50:16 AM »

Left out of Oscar nominations: Russell Crowe for CINDERELLA MAN, Ralph Fiennes for THE CONSTANT GARDENER, Don Chedle for CRASH, Joan Allen for THE UPSIDE OF ANGER, Bob Hoskins for MRS. HENDERSON PRESENTS, among others.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2006, 07:51:44 AM »

Good morning!

Beautiful but chilly day here. For the last day of January, it couldn't be a brighter, finer day.

Matt H.

« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2006, 07:52:47 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Happy Birthday to DR Michael Shayne!!![/move]

Matt H.

« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2006, 07:59:32 AM »

My own personal OSCAR surprises, I was surprised WALK THE LINE didn't sneak in as Best Picture ahead of MUNICH. RAY managed to sneak in last year as the fifth nominee, and I figured WALK THE LINE with a similar vibe and about the same amount of success at the box-office would also land in the top five.

I had read there was a big push to try to get Naomi Watts a nomination for KING KONG. I didn't see the movie, so I don't know if this was a misplaced effort on someone's part, but I thought it there was an upset, this might be it.

Only three Best Song nominees! True, the songs in the last couple of decades have been mostly awful, but I still thought they'd fill out the category as in years past.

I knew the song from BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN which won the Golden Globe for Best Song wasn't eligible. I believe it was because it was played in the background over the radio during the film and wasn't spotlit anywhere else in the picture which goes against the Academy's rules.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2006, 08:05:08 AM »

For me, the surprise nomination was William Hurt.  I didn't even know he was in A History Fo Violence.  Has he been nommed for any other awards for this role?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2006, 08:06:47 AM »

Vixmom, when one moves out of a house, is it customary to take all the light bulbs?

No, but we have had instances of that.   We've had people remove ceiling fans and chandeliers, leaving big holes in the ceilings with wires hanging out.

We had one client call after the closing because the sellers had (after the "final walk-through" which generally takes place a few hours or the evening before the closing here in NY), removed all the door handles as well as all the light switch and electrical socket cover plates!!

Then you have the sellers that leave EVERYTHING they decided they didn't want, broken furniture, trampolines, gym sets,  old broken air conditioners, cans of food, a huge barrel of homemade wine,  goldfish (in their bowl), and of course piles of garbage.  

Last year one of our clients called hysterically crying that the sellers had left behind 156 of those huge outdoor lawn trash bags full of rubbish on the driveway.  The driveway was unusable and the local trash authorities refused to take more than 6 bags at a time!

and people think that real estate law is boring

« Last Edit: January 31, 2006, 08:08:34 AM by Vixmom »
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2006, 08:09:00 AM »

To me, the most STARTLING omission from the nominations is the total ABSENCE of any nominations for George Lucas' "Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith" -- one of the most critically acclaimed, and highest grossing, films of 2005.

It's the first "Star Wars" film, that I recall, NOT nominated for at least technical recognition (i.e. visual effects, sound effects editing, etc.)

I realize, of course, that most of the guys who worked on "Revenge of the Sith" also worked on "War of the Worlds" and, thus, got nominations.  

Still......
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2006, 08:11:05 AM »

The omission of Russell Crowe for "Cinderella Man" is most egregious, indeed.

He is the ONLY reason that film works as beautifully as it does.  The man can do no wrong as an actor, IMO.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2006, 08:12:43 AM »

For me, the surprise nomination was William Hurt.  I didn't even know he was in A History Fo Violence.  Has he been nommed for any other awards for this role?

He was on our pick list for a nomination.  I thought he was excellent in the movie- what a great role, I didn't even recognize him.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2006, 08:14:45 AM »

He was on our pick list for a nomination.  I thought he was excellent in the movie- what a great role, I didn't even recognize him.

I don't know if he received any other award nominations.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2006, 08:16:00 AM »

It's also a rare year in which all the directors of the Best Films were also nominated.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2006, 08:19:28 AM »

His role lasts about 10 minutes in the film. Both he and Ed Harris had been given outside chances of scoring nominations. As had Terrance Howard for CRASH.

Hurt won Best Supporting Actor from the LA Film Critics and the NY Film Critics.

FJL

« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2006, 08:20:19 AM »

Since Ben mentioned Milla's birthday listings, here it is in honor of Michael Shayne's birthday.  

Interesting that with all the super-luminaries born on Jan. 31, the longest entry in terms of space on Milla's list for the day is the listing for Paul Jabara.  (Some do consider his Oscar for "Last Dance" - while one could say deserved for the song itself - to have been awarded for a film which is arguably the worst film ever to actually get an Oscar.)  

Today's Birthdays 1/31
Posted by:    do_re_milla 10:40 am EST 01/31/06
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Franz Schubert 01/31/1797 - Nov 19, 1828 1 of the great composers; my fav lied his setting of Goethe's Gretchen am Spinnrade & the song cycle Schwanengesang - Blossom Time (1943 revival Jacqueline Susann)

Zane Grey (Pearl Grey) 1/31/1872 - 10/23/1939 dentist; author: The Spirit of the Border, The Last of the Plainsmen, Riders of the Purple Sage, source mat'l

Anna Pavlova 1/31/1881 - 1/23/1931 Russian primaballerina

Eddie Cantor 1/31/1892 - 10/10/1964 performer, Producer, Writer, Performer, father of Janet Gari, grandfather of Brian Gari & Amanda Abel; 1st pres. of SAG - var. Ziegfeld Follies; Whoopee! (Buddy Ebsen, Ruth Etting, Adele Jergens, Virginia Mayo, Jacqueline Susann); Banjo Eyes; Nellie Bly; film's Whoopie; The Kid from Spain; Roman Scandals; Kid Millions

Tallulah Bankhead 01/31/1902 - Dec 12, 1968 performer, who can count two U.S. Senators and a Congressman in her family - Dark Victory; Rain; The Little Foxes; The Skin of Our Teeth; The Milk Train Doesn't Stop Here Anymore; film's Stage Door Canteen, Die! Die! My Darling!

Carol Channing 01/31/1921 performer, wife of Alexander Carson, Theodore Naidish, Harry Kullijian (2003 - present), Charles Lowe (1956 - 1999) his death, separated in 1998 - Let's Face It!; Gentlemen Prefer Blondes; Hello, Dolly!; Lorelei (Lee Roy Reams, Brandon Maggart)

Mario Lanza 01/31/1921 - 10/7/1959 performer - That Midnight Kiss, The Great Caruso, Because You’re Mine, The Student Prince; singer: Be My Love, The Loveliest Night of the Year, Because You’re Mine

Joanne Dru 01/31/1923 - Sep 11, 1996 performer, wife of Dick Haymes (1941-1949) divorced - Deadfall (John Ireland, Paul Huber); film's All the King’s Men, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, Sincerely Yours

Norman Mailer 1/31/1923 Pulitzer Prize-winning novelist: The Armies of the Night; Miami and the Siege of Chicago, The Executioner’s Song, The Naked and the Dead, An American Dream; source mat'l

Jean Simmons 1/31/1929 performer - The Big Country, Elmer Gantry, The Robe, [my fav] Spartacus, Great Expectations, The Thorn Birds, North and South; Mysteries of the Bible series

Richard Clarke 01/31/1933 performer - The Elephant Man; Arcadia (Ed Harris, Daniel Massey)

Suzanne Pleshette 01/31/1937 performer, Wife of Tom Poston (2001 - present) - Compulsion; The Cold Wind and the Warm; Golden Fleecing; Special Occasions (Richard Mulligan); tv's & film's The Bob Newhart Show, Oh God Book 2, The Birds, If It’s Tuesday This Must be Belgium

Jessica Walter 01/31/1941 performer, wife of Ron Leibman (1983 - present); A graduate of New York's High School of the Performing Arts and the Neighborhood Playhouse School of the Theatre - Night Life (Carol Lawrence, Bobby Short); Photo Finish; A Severed Head; Rumors (Christine Baranski, Ken Howard, Ron Leibman, Joyce Van Patten); tv's & film's Emmy Award-winning actress: Amy Prentiss/NBC Sunday Mystery Movie [1975]; Temptress, The Execution, The Flamingo Kid, She’s Dressed to Kill, Play Misty for Me, Three’s a Crowd, For the People, Dinosaurs, Bare Essence

Paul Jabara 01/31/1948 - 9/29/1992 Writer, Lyricist, Composer, Performer - Hair; Rachael Lily Rosenbloom and Don't You Ever Forget It (Wayne Cilento, André De Shields, Anita Morris, Thomas Walsh, Michon Peacock) [never officially opened]; tv's & film's The Lord's of Flatbush; The Last Angry Man; The symbolic Red Ribbon Project was co-founded by Paul in 1991, who conceptualized and distributed the very first AIDS red ribbon before succumbing to the disease. His songwriting career is closely associated with the "queen of disco", Donna Summer, who recorded Paul's Oscar-winning song "Last Dance" for the movie Thank God It's Friday (1978). He also was instrumental in ushering Barbra Streisand into the dance movement. She sang his title song for the movie The Main Event (1979). Together, divas Streisand and Summer dueted on Paul's best-seller "No More Tears (Enough Is Enough)". Composed & performed "Trapped in a Stairway" fr Thank God It's Friday. Played the nerdy character Carl. Also co-wrote the Weather Girls' "It's Raining Men" with Paul Shaffer of The Late Show with David Letterman television show.

Allen Fitzpatrick 01/31/1955 performer - The Scarlet Pimpernel; 2001 42nd Street; Sweet Smell of Success; 1995 Gentlemen Prefer Blondes

Jan Horvath 01/31/1958 performer - 1984 Oliver!; 1986 Sweet Charity; The Phantom of the Opera; 1989 3 Penny Opera (Maureen McGovern, Sting, Alvin Epstein, Georgia Brown, Larry Marshall)

Anthony LaPaglia 01/31/1959 performer - 1989 The Rose Tattoo (Mercedes Ruehl, Fiddle Viracola); 1997 A View From the Bridge; tv's & film's Murder One; Deat Heat; Without a Trace; Frasier

Minnie Driver 1/31/1970 performer - tv's & film's GoldenEye; [my fav] Circle of Friends; Good Will Hunting; An Ideal Husband; Will and Grace; The Phantom of the Opera; Ella Enchanted

Danielle Ferland 01/31/1971 performer - Sunday in the Park with George; Into the Woods (Joanna Gleason, Bernadette Peters, Merle Louise); A Year With Frog and Toad

SHOWS THAT OPENED ON THIS DATE:

1922 The Czarina is Catherine the Great. Her story is told through the eyes of her lover Count Czerny. Doris Keane and Basil Rathbone star. This comedy will run at the Empire Theatre in New York for 136 performances.

1985 The story of 19th century acting team Ned Harrigan and Tony Hart gets the musical treatment in Harrigan 'n Hart (Lyrics by Peter Walker; Music by Max Showalter), which gets acclaim as the first musical developed at Goodspeed Opera House's Norma Terris Theatre, but lasts only 4 performances after its transfer to Broadway. Harry Groener stars with Mark Hammill.

2000 Boston's Shear Madness turns 20 years old today. It is the longest-running non-musical play in the history of American theatre. The play is a comedy in which a murder occurs in the Shear Madness Hair Styling Salon and it is up to the audience to vote on who is guilty of the crime.

ON THIS DAY IN:

On Jan. 31, 1865, the House of Representatives passed a constitutional amendment to abolish slavery.

1960 - Julie Andrews, Henry Fonda, Rex Harrison and Jackie Gleason, appeared in a two-hour TV special titled, The Fabulous Fifties.

(sources: IBDB, IMDB, NYT's ON THIS DAY, 440.com’s Those Were The Days, Playbill.com)

Milla

Matt H.

« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2006, 08:34:46 AM »

Off to start prepping lunch now.

WBBL.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2006, 08:37:59 AM »

Happy Birthday, DRMS - and the distinguished company who shares your natal anniversary!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2006, 08:38:33 AM »

What is the fifteen minutes cut from SOUTH PACIFIC - LeRoy Prinz's Boar's Tooth Ceremony?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2006, 08:38:56 AM »

Were any of the stars of the film in attendance last night?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2006, 08:39:35 AM »

DR CILLA LIZ, what wonderful treasures!   Except for the dirt, of course.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2006, 08:40:45 AM »

Most interesting thing seen on EBAY, but not purchased:  A slip of paper written by Miss Allison Hayes, giving her phone number and address...

1757 N Orange Grove Avenue.

DRJOSE traveled to see the house when he was doing WHAT IF? and former DRJAY photographed it for me!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2006, 08:41:58 AM »

Hmmm....lots of records and books at garage sales & Goodwill & Salvation Army stores.

Found a framed DANCIN' poster from the Broadhurst Theatre at a flea market and got it for $19.

Hmmmmmm......

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2006, 08:42:41 AM »

Oh, I also once bought a copy of Tales of the South Pacific (in paperback) at a thrift store, and inside tucked into the pages in the middle was a $5 bill.

MBarnum

« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2006, 08:52:42 AM »

And BK, how did Ken Clark (as Stewpot) look up on the big digitalized screen?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2006, 08:54:09 AM »

DR MBARNUM - the Bollywood movie I watched last night was DIL DEKE DEKKO which translates to something like "Give your heart and see what happens."

I thought from the description on the DVD it was going to be a drama!  But it was a comedy about switched identities and "teens" singing and dancing and some very nice numbers!  I liked it, except that it was in b/w!  I love my Bollywood Eastman Color!!

But it was a lot of fun!

MBarnum

« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2006, 08:59:05 AM »

Oh, yes, it had some good musical numbers...the movie itself was sort of OK...but I do like Asha Parekh...and it is one of those films that SHOULD have been in color, I think.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2006, 08:59:30 AM »

Ken Clark looked big on the big screen.

I, of course, don't really care about these nominations at all, but was also surprised to see Sith completely overlooked in the technical categories - it's actually sort of a joke.

On the other hand, I'm very happy to see Amy Adams up.  For the sharp-eyed, you may remember that Miss Adams' did the costumes for a little show we like to call What If.  I think I'll watch Junebug tonight.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up