Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE WEIRDLY PLACED "R"  (Read 27972 times)

MBarnum

Re:THE WEIRDLY PLACED "R"
« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2006, 09:02:17 AM »

Gas service has been ordered...they should be digging up my yard any day now.

Furnace is ordered..it should be installed after the gas line is connected to my house...any day now.

Heat will be supplied...very soon...I certainly hope!

Money will dramatically be removed from my bank account and charges will be piled up on my credit cards, the likes of which I have never seen before...but I will have heat again.

Whew.

Jason

« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2006, 09:05:38 AM »

Did I read incorrectly, or didn't REVENGE OF THE SITH get nominated for Best Makeup?

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DR MICHAEL SHAYNE!

I have a computer question for any computer-savvy DR out there...

Last night I decided to go ahead with the updates that were available for my Windows XP, so I started the installation before bed and restarted my computer when I woke up this morning. I entered my password and got to the desktop. My wallpaper popped up, but none of the destop icons came up (My Computer, AOL, Recycle Bin, etc.) and the task bar at the bottom of the screen was missing, too. I shut down and restarted a second and third time and got the same thing - just my wallpaper and a little arrow with the hourglass popping up next to it every now and again. I had to leave for work, so I couldn't mess with it, but I want to figure out what's going on.

Any ideas/suggestions?

MBarnum

« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2006, 09:06:06 AM »

Ken Clark, hairy chested page 3 dance.

Jason

« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2006, 09:09:01 AM »

Coretta Scott King has passed away. She was 78.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2006, 09:09:02 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]A BIG HAINESHISWAY.COM BIRTHDAY CHEER TO OUR VERY OWN DEAR READER MICHAEL SHAYNE, PRIVATE DETECTIVE!!![/move][/color][/b]

Have a very happy birthday, Michael!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #65 on: January 31, 2006, 09:12:13 AM »

Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.  The Dalai Lama
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #66 on: January 31, 2006, 09:13:17 AM »

My most interesting eBay find:

Not the most-loved, or most-treasured, but certainly the most unusual and very gratifying object I won is a 1955 Academy Award citation presented to Twentieth Century-Fox and Bausch & Lomb for the CinemaScope 55 lens process.

I found it in a random search...and it was an odd search, since I was looking up a name I had no expectations in finding -- Edward B. Powell (longtime orchestrator for Alfred Newman).  It's not like Powell ever wrote a book or something...but I thought maybe the odd thing might turn up...a letter or note from him or to him...because I'd found other esoterica like that.  You just never know!

As it so happens, Powell was one of the officers of the Academy at the time and he signed the citation, along with Academy president George Seaton (who hired Newman several times to score his films, the last being "Airport").

The downside of this find is that the citation was mounted on a piece of wood (suitable for being placed on a wall) and had been shellacked or sealed with something that truly devalues the piece for its original signatures.

Still...it's "someone's" Academy Award citation and I have it.

Another find that has only "personal" value to me -- an original oil painting by Ernest Gold...a waterfall...VERY impressionistic...quite NOT very good at all, actually.  But it was by him, and he was one of my favorite composers.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2006, 09:17:24 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jennifer

« Reply #67 on: January 31, 2006, 09:15:27 AM »

Re: the Oscar noms.

I was surprised that Russell Crowe was not nominated for best actor.  I was also surprised that WALK THE LINE was not nominated for Best Picture.

And I think some people thought the woman from MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA would get nominated over Keira Knightly for Best Actress.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #68 on: January 31, 2006, 09:36:53 AM »

I just got a "post prohibited" alert.  What is this, Wikipedia all of a sudden?   ;D

So, as I was saying:

eBay, what's eBay?   ;D

And:

Justin Timberlake is a guest star on the kind-of-scary (at least for us over-the-hillers) new Sergio Mendes CD, Timeless, which I just got in an advance release version from Japan.  It is produced by Will.i.am of the Black Eyed Peas and consists mostly of rap versions of a lot of Sergio's early Brasil '66 material.  Oy and double oy.

Happy Birthday, one and all and also all and one.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #69 on: January 31, 2006, 09:37:18 AM »

Academy Awards?  Are they still doing that?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #70 on: January 31, 2006, 09:41:17 AM »

Seven or eight years ago, I stumbled across an eBay listing for a bunch of old film programs (souvenir booklets sold in theaters when the films played in first-run).  

I've been collecting movie programs for four decades-plus, and I had all the programs in that bunch save one -- a program for "All About Eve."

The price was low for the bunch. I made a nice-sized offer, and then promptly forgot about watching the item until the auction ended (this was before I knew about such things as esnipe).  I lost the auction by $1.

No program for "All About Eve" had been offered, that I had found, since that one (and it was a minor miracle I even learned about it being part of that bunch because it was only listed as one among several in the desciption, not in the subject line)...until several weeks ago.  I found one being offered by a seller in Texas who had just acquired someone's estate...and I placed a HUGE esnipe bid.

I got it for a song, of course, with only one other bidder.  But I have it now...it's mine, Mine, MINE.  It had been elusive, and I thought I might never find another....but the joy of eBay is that it's prudent to NEVER say NEVER.  Except when declaring that you just NEVER KNOW!

:D
« Last Edit: January 31, 2006, 09:43:06 AM by Ron Pulliam »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: January 31, 2006, 09:51:44 AM »

I've gotten many, many cool things, but none at garage sales.  I know people find stuff all the time, but I have never found one interesting thing at a garage sale.  eBay is a whole different story, and I've found some amazing outre things there, like my Godzilla bubble machine, and a weird magazine called Echo, that you both read and play (five of its pages are 45rpm-sized records).  It has an interview with Gypsy Rose Lee talking about the musical Gypsy, and then a record of Jule Styne playing songs from the show at his house (including, I think, some rare stuff).  It has a story about Nichols and May, and then a record of them talking at breakfast.  James Thurber contributes a piece about harmoica player Larry Adler and then there's a record him Adler playing.  On on it goes.  I think it died after this one issue.

Of course, I've found some great Li'l Abner stuff, including the one of the best original panels of Capp art I've ever seen.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #72 on: January 31, 2006, 09:53:21 AM »

OOPS DEPT
LONDON - It was every art lover's nightmare — a stumble, a crash and thousands of dollars worth of historic fragments lying on the floor.

The incident happened last week at the Fitzwilliam Museum in Cambridge, England, which for decades has displayed a group of Qing dynasty Chinese vases on a window sill. [/i]

A hapless visitor tripped on a loose shoelace, tumbled down a flight of stairs and crashed into the vases, smashing them into smithereens.

The man, who has not been named, left the museum shaken but undamaged -- in sharp contrast to the vases.

"It was a most unfortunate and regrettable accident but we are glad that the visitor involved was able to leave the museum unharmed," museum director Duncan Robinson said on Monday.

"Whilst the method of displaying objects is always under review, it is important not to over-react and make the museum's collections less accessible to the visiting public," he added in a statement.

The priceless vases, dating from the late 17th or early 18th century, were donated to the museum in 1948 and have become one of its most recognizable exhibits.

Shocked but determined museum staff members have vowed to glue the shards back together again.

DR Jason , I'm glad your museum "trips" were less eventful!!!

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Jason

« Reply #73 on: January 31, 2006, 10:00:56 AM »

OOPS DEPTDR Jason , I'm glad your museum "trips" were less eventful!!!

Oh, my...I am, too!!

vixmom

« Reply #74 on: January 31, 2006, 10:15:19 AM »

Laissez Faire Parenting Department

After her 11-year-old son was suspended for twice bringing a loaded handgun to school, Linnea C. Holdren, 43, said the matter was pretty much beyond her control. "I can't lock up his guns," she told police. "They belong to him, and he has a right to use them whenever he wants to use them." (The boy was expelled in January, and Holdren, who is a teacher at her son's Shickshinny, Pa., elementary school, has been charged with felony endangerment.) [San Jose Mercury News-AP, 12-18-05; WYOU-TV (Scranton), 1-18-06]

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #75 on: January 31, 2006, 10:17:11 AM »

That museum story reminds me of the opening shots of Mel Brooks as Moses coming down from the mountain in "The History of the World, Part I"....he's carrying THREE tablets...and starts to say something about God having delivered unto the Israelites 15....then drops a tablet...says "Oy!"....and then, "10....10 Commandments."

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #76 on: January 31, 2006, 10:18:33 AM »

Did I read incorrectly, or didn't REVENGE OF THE SITH get nominated for Best Makeup?

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DR MICHAEL SHAYNE!

I have a computer question for any computer-savvy DR out there...

Last night I decided to go ahead with the updates that were available for my Windows XP, so I started the installation before bed and restarted my computer when I woke up this morning. I entered my password and got to the desktop. My wallpaper popped up, but none of the destop icons came up (My Computer, AOL, Recycle Bin, etc.) and the task bar at the bottom of the screen was missing, too. I shut down and restarted a second and third time and got the same thing - just my wallpaper and a little arrow with the hourglass popping up next to it every now and again. I had to leave for work, so I couldn't mess with it, but I want to figure out what's going on.

Any ideas/suggestions?

DR Jason,  I've heard of that happening before but I'm not sure of the solution.  For a temporary fix, you can try doing a System Restore.  Restore your pc to a day before you performed the update and see if that brings back your desktop.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #77 on: January 31, 2006, 10:19:28 AM »

Other Oscar surprises:

Matt Dillon for Best Supporting Actor -- amazing that they've FINALLY given him some recognition after years of sterling work with nothing.

Paul Giammatti...deserved a nom for "Sideways", but I wasn't all that impressed with his role in "Cinderella Man."  He was good...it was good part...but not any better than many parts that went unmentioned/unnominated.  The actor who played the evil senator in "Revenge of the Sith" was far more worthy, IMO.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #78 on: January 31, 2006, 10:20:38 AM »

OOPS DEPT

Oy!  I can hear my mother's voice:  "You see!  That's why we can't have anything nice around here!"
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #79 on: January 31, 2006, 10:23:35 AM »

To me, the most STARTLING omission from the nominations is the total ABSENCE of any nominations for George Lucas' "Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith" -- one of the most critically acclaimed, and highest grossing, films of 2005.

It's the first "Star Wars" film, that I recall, NOT nominated for at least technical recognition (i.e. visual effects, sound effects editing, etc.)

I realize, of course, that most of the guys who worked on "Revenge of the Sith" also worked on "War of the Worlds" and, thus, got nominations.  

Still......

I totally missed the nom for "Makeup"...what on earth is wrong with me???

But...MAKEUP?  THAT is all they found worthy of nominating?

Jason

« Reply #80 on: January 31, 2006, 10:28:17 AM »

DR Jason,  I've heard of that happening before but I'm not sure of the solution.  For a temporary fix, you can try doing a System Restore.  Restore your pc to a day before you performed the update and see if that brings back your desktop.

D-t-M: I thought about doing that, but I'm not sure how I can without any of my icons coming up. Any ideas?

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #81 on: January 31, 2006, 10:31:10 AM »

D-t-M: I thought about doing that, but I'm not sure how I can without any of my icons coming up. Any ideas?

Did you try hitting the Windows button on the keyboard?  It's the one between Ctrl and Alt on your left hand side.  Hopefully, if you hit it, your Start menu will pop up, and you can either mouse or tab your way to System Restore.

D'oh!  I just noticed that there are two Windows buttons on both sides of the keyboard.  Well, who ever uses the things?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2006, 10:32:34 AM by Dan (the Man) »
-- Anaïs Nin

Jason

« Reply #82 on: January 31, 2006, 10:37:42 AM »

Did you try hitting the Windows button on the keyboard?  It's the one between Ctrl and Alt on your left hand side.  Hopefully, if you hit it, your Start menu will pop up, and you can either mouse or tab your way to System Restore.

D'oh!  I just noticed that there are two Windows buttons on both sides of the keyboard.  Well, who ever uses the things?

So THAT'S what those keys are for! I'll try that first thing when I get home! Thank you!!!

MBarnum

« Reply #83 on: January 31, 2006, 10:39:31 AM »

BK, go to Estate Sales, you can find many nifty items of interest at those! I have found many....Garage sales, not so much.

Ebay...oh, man, where to begin! One of my favorite finds was last year when I bought a lot of 15 movie stills from one of those Ken Clark Italian spy films...they came all the way from Sweden!

Also, I have gotten many Allison Hayes, June Kenney photos to add to my collection.

And of course one of the best things I found on Ebay was JRand55 who is now a great buddy, and who happened to lead me to HHW.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #84 on: January 31, 2006, 10:41:13 AM »

DR MB, congratulations on getting gassed gas--er, you know what I mean.

-- Anaïs Nin

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #85 on: January 31, 2006, 10:41:51 AM »

A VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO DR MICHAEL SHAYNE!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #86 on: January 31, 2006, 10:43:08 AM »

Let's play DR JRands game and all look for the oddest eBay item we can find and post it here.
-- Anaïs Nin

vixmom

« Reply #87 on: January 31, 2006, 10:45:18 AM »

And of course one of the best things I found on Ebay was JRand55 who is now a great buddy, and who happened to lead me to HHW.

How much did that cost?!! :o

;D

Jason

« Reply #88 on: January 31, 2006, 10:47:00 AM »

TOD: I once got a CHORUS LINE poster on Ebay. It's UPS brown and about 6 feet long and features pictures of every cast of the show up to the record-breaking performance. It also has every cast members' names printed on the outside edges. Very cool. I got it for $10. Even cooler. What's cooler still is that the guy at Triton Gallery - THE theatre poster experts in the City - told me he hadn't seen one in at least 10 years and even back then it was worth well over $200 unframed. WOOHOO!!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #89 on: January 31, 2006, 10:53:59 AM »

Ooh!  Ooh!

Other eBay finds:

Back in the early 1970s, MGM had an anniversary and a numer of things were issued, including some numbered, limited edition, framed mirrors with the MGM lion logo on the mirror.  They were expensive at the time...beyond my meager means as an E-nothing in the Navy...and later, I found one in a store that wanted $1,000  for it.  Ouch.

Believe it or not, but I found one on eBay that was not readily identified for what it was...and I got if for under $150, including shipping.  Later, I found another on eBay going for over $600 as a starting price.

It's probably worth between what I paid and that other price...I have no way of knowing.

I've since found another mirror -- this one is blue-tinted and has the 20th Century-Fox logo on it.  It's a nice size and I've never seen another like it.  Don't know when it was issued or what it cost new.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2006, 10:55:41 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Up