Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE WEIRDLY PLACED "R"  (Read 27973 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE WEIRDLY PLACED "R"
« on: January 31, 2006, 12:11:01 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes had several weirdly placed "R"s, and now it is time for you to post until the weirdly placed cows come home.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2006, 12:13:02 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE WEIRDLY PLACED "R"
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2006, 12:12:33 AM »

And the word of the day is: DRACONIAN!

Ben

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2006, 04:28:02 AM »

And I'm the second post on Tuesday, January 31, 2006. It's not my fault! I was asleep when the notes were posted!!! Do not take draconian measures against me as punishment for lack of posts after the midnight (LA time) hour.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2006, 05:32:03 AM by Ben »

Ben

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2006, 04:28:36 AM »

Happy Birthday to the wonderful Floridian, Mr. Michael Shayne!

Ben

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2006, 04:28:57 AM »

Have I used enough exclamation points in my insufferable early morning posts???

Ben

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2006, 04:29:45 AM »

And still I'm the only one in the room, although according to the log there are 2 or 3 "guests"

Hi, guests.

Ben

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2006, 04:48:20 AM »

Good morning Larry.

I can't remember the last time I was at a garage sale (therer are not many garages in Manhattan) and the only times I have been to E-Bay is when I have been directed to go there by other people to see items they thought were interesting. I have never registered or purchased or sold anything on E-Bay. I have purchased some CDs over the years at thrift shops but I think that's about it for interesting purchases at swap meets or garage sales.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2006, 05:00:39 AM by Ben »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2006, 05:04:37 AM »

Good morning, all!  And a special good morning to DR Ben.  Once I saw that MEDIUM was a repeat, I went to bed, slept very well, and had peculiar dreams about college theatre, and songs I'd written 36 years.

DR Ginny, I did not post anything about STREET SCENE; I was still thinking about it.  It was a mixed bag of singers with no conception of acting, singers who weren't bad actors, and singers who should change majors.  The opera's a strange piece, and I thought a lot of the first act was only so-so till the last 30 minutes, when things picked up with "Wouldn't You Like to be on Broadway?," "Moon-face Starry-eyed," and the glorious duet that closes the act.  Act Two played much more solidly.

The singer playing Anna Maurant was around 22 and never seemed to identify with the 40 year-old, abused, unhappy adulterous housewife she was playing.  The performance was too frivolous, but the young soprano playing her daughter Rose and the tenor playing Sam were quite good.  There was a too much "busy" direction during the first half of act one which took me out of ther neo-realism of the piece, and all the actors kept forgetting it was a very very very hot day as both the opening and closing numbers are "Ain't it awful, the heat?"

Once it settled down, the piece went quite well, and the orchestra sounded fantastic.  I sound more negative here than I actually am.  I had a wonderful time.

Back to Toyland and the NYPL today, and I haver toi finish my pre-accountant IRS work this afternoon and evening.

TOD:  a 1904 Majestic Theatre program for BABES IN TOYLAND.  They're quite rare, and I found it on eBay.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2006, 05:39:06 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]! ! ! ! !  HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO DR MICHAEL SHAYNE  ! ! ! ! ![/move]

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2006, 05:43:16 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HAPPIEST OF BIRTHDAYS, DR MICHAEL SHAYNE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[/color][/move]
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Michael

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2006, 05:48:15 AM »

Thank you Larry and Ben.
Looking forward to my next New York trip.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2006, 05:49:43 AM »

And isn't also BK's very close and wonderful friend Carol Channing's birthday?

And Suzanne "The Birds" Pleshette's birthday?
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2006, 05:50:31 AM »

And now I must take my leave to go to work so I can pay for my trip of the last few days.
Never stop dreaming.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2006, 06:02:51 AM »

TOD:

I think I've droned on enough about my Tony Award purchased on eBay.  So here's a story about the other Tony Awards I've spotted on sale there.  

In one auction which I stupidly did not bid on, Shirley Booth's award for COME BACK, LITTLE SHEBA was up for sale with a starting bid of about $1500.  Unbelievably, no one bid on it and it went unsold!  After the end of the auction, there were stories of its non-sale on Playbill-Online and Broadway.com.  The award went back on sale and this time fetched close to $4000.

Another Tony Award auction consisted of a blank, uninscribed medallion.  It was being sold by a woman who, IIRC, was the daughter of the award designer.  Since it was never awarded to anyone, it didn't interest me.  I don't recall the amount it sold at.

The third Tony I saw for sale on eBay was the strangest.  It was originally the award for Best Musical that was given to HELLO, DOLLY.  Evidently, David Merrick had the inscription side of the medallion ground flat and reinscribed with "Author of the year" to Ginger Roger's husband (I forget his name) for some mystery novel he penned.  It's astounding to think that Merrick thought so little about a major award presented to one of his top productions.  But with Merrick, I guess it's not too surprising, either.

One time I also saw a mock up of a Tony that was created as a prop used in an Australian TV movie.  The medallion looked to be the size of tea saucer and the base looked like it would be at home on the set of Dr Who.  I passed on this one.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ben

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2006, 06:06:07 AM »

Even though Miss Channing doesn't count birthdays (she's a Christian Scientist and they don't acknowledge those yearly natal days), yes, she was born on this very day in 1921 (which would make her 85).

Some other birthdays from:

Playbill On-Line

Also born in 1903 on this date was the late Tallulah Bankhead. Others include Jerry J. Cohan 1848, Fritz Leiber 1882, Eddie Cantor 1892, Mario Lanza 1921, Richard Clarke 1933, Suzanne Pleshette 1937, Paul Jabara 1948, Anthony LaPaglia 1959 and Danielle Ferland 1971

I don't have FJL's great list from his friend, is it Milla, or something similar?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2006, 06:07:17 AM by Ben »

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2006, 06:07:34 AM »

Hi.  This is Suzanne Pleshette.  Stay tuned for THE INVADERS.  Next, in color.

Oh--and Happy Birthday to me!

-- Anaïs Nin

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2006, 06:09:35 AM »

~~~HAPPY BIRTHDAY DR MICHAEL SHAYNE~~~

WISHING  YOU MANY HAPPY BIRTHDAY ADVENTURES!!!![/size]
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

FJL

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2006, 06:09:57 AM »

Did someone already mentione it's Justin Timberlake's birthday, too?  :)

In the spirit of the unofficial start of tax season (since theoretically Jan 31 is the deadline for giving people their W-2's and 1099's):

Many happy returns of the day, Michael S.

vixmom

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2006, 06:16:12 AM »

This just in....

Oscar nominations:

List of the 78th annual Oscar nominations announced Tuesday in Beverly Hills, Calif., by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences:

1. Best Picture: "Brokeback Mountain," "Capote," "Crash," "Good Night, and Good Luck," "Munich."

2. Actor: Philip Seymour Hoffman, "Capote"; Terrence Howard, "Hustle & Flow"; Heath Ledger, "Brokeback Mountain"; Joaquin Phoenix, "Walk the Line"; David Strathairn, "Good Night, and Good Luck."

3. Actress: Judi Dench, "Mrs. Henderson Presents"; Felicity Huffman, "Transamerica"; Keira Knightley, "Pride & Prejudice"; Charlize Theron, "North Country"; Reese Witherspoon, "Walk the Line."

4. Supporting Actor: George Clooney, "Syriana"; Matt Dillon, "Crash"; Paul Giamatti, "Cinderella Man"; Jake Gyllenhaal, "Brokeback Mountain"; William Hurt, "A History of Violence."

5. Supporting Actress: Amy Adams, "Junebug"; Catherine Keener, "Capote"; Frances McDormand, "North Country"; Rachel Weisz, "The Constant Gardener"; Michelle Williams, "Brokeback Mountain."

6. Director: Ang Lee, "Brokeback Mountain"; Bennett Miller, "Capote"; Paul Haggis, "Crash"; George Clooney, "Good Night, and Good Luck"; Steven Spielberg, "Munich."

7. Foreign Film: "Don't Tell," Italy; "Joyeux Noel," France; "Paradise Now," Palestine; "Sophie Scholl _ The Final Days," Germany; "Tsotsi," South Africa.

8. Adapted Screenplay: Larry McMurtry & Diana Ossana, "Brokeback Mountain"; Dan Futterman, "Capote"; Jeffrey Caine, "The Constant Gardener"; Josh Olson, "A History of Violence"; Tony Kushner and Eric Roth, "Munich."

9. Original Screenplay: Paul Haggis & Bobby Moresco, "Crash"; George Clooney & Grant Heslov, "Good Night, and Good Luck"; Woody Allen, "Match Point"; Noah Baumbach, "The Squid and the Whale"; Stephen Gaghan, "Syriana."

10. Animated Feature Film: "Howl's Moving Castle"; "Tim Burton's Corpse Bride"; "Wallace & Gromit in the Curse of the Were-Rabbit."

11. Art Direction: "Good Night, and Good Luck," "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire," "King Kong," "Memoirs of a Geisha," "Pride & Prejudice."

12. Cinematography: "Batman Begins," "Brokeback Mountain," "Good Night, and Good Luck," "Memoirs of a Geisha," "The New World."

13. Sound Mixing: "The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe," "King Kong," "Memoirs of a Geisha," "Walk the Line," "War of the Worlds."

14. Sound Editing: "King Kong," "Memoirs of a Geisha," "War of the Worlds."

15. Original Score: "Brokeback Mountain," Gustavo Santaolalla; "The Constant Gardener," Alberto Iglesias; "Memoirs of a Geisha," John Williams; "Munich," John Williams; "Pride & Prejudice," Dario Marianelli.

16. Original Song: "In the Deep" from "Crash," Kathleen "Bird" York and Michael Becker; "It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp" from "Hustle & Flow," Jordan Houston, Cedric Coleman and Paul Beauregard; "Travelin' Thru" from "Transamerica," Dolly Parton.

17. Costume: "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory," "Memoirs of a Geisha," "Mrs. Henderson Presents," "Pride & Prejudice," "Walk the Line."

18. Documentary Feature: "Darwin's Nightmare," "Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room," "March of the Penguins," "Murderball," "Street Fight."

19. Documentary (short subject): "The Death of Kevin Carter: Casualty of the Bang Bang Club," "God Sleeps in Rwanda," "The Mushroom Club," "A Note of Triumph: The Golden Age of Norman Corwin."

20. Film Editing: "Cinderella Man," "The Constant Gardener," "Crash," "Munich," "Walk the Line."

21. Makeup: "The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe," "Cinderella Man," "Star Wars: Episode III _ Revenge of the Sith."

22. Animated Short Film: "Badgered," "The Moon and the Son: An Imagined Conversation," "The Mysterious Geographic Explorations of Jasper Morello," "9," "One Man Band."

23. Live Action Short Film: "Ausreisser (The Runaway)," "Cashback," "The Last Farm," "Our Time Is Up," "Six Shooter."

24. Visual Effects: "The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe," "King Kong," "War of the Worlds."

Academy Award winners previously announced this year:

Honorary Award (Oscar statuette): Robert Altman.

The Gordon E. Sawyer award (Oscar statuette): Gary Demos.

predictions anyone?

« Last Edit: January 31, 2006, 06:18:05 AM by Vixmom »

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2006, 06:20:15 AM »

This just in....

Oscar nominations:predictions anyone?

Once again, I was eggregiously overlooked by the Academy.  
-- Anaïs Nin

vixmom

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2006, 06:22:48 AM »

Once again, I was eggregiously overlooked by the Academy.  

Its all politics!  I voted for you!

vixmom

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2006, 06:25:07 AM »

I bought this muppet at a garage sale.  It had no manufacturer tags on it, and the seller claimed it had been given to her son by a friend who worked at the Muppet studios in England and that it had been used for the making of  Muppet Christmnas Carol.... I have no idea if the story is true or not but for $5 who cares?

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2006, 06:25:59 AM »

Happy Happy Happy (that is three happies) Birthday, Michael Shayne!!!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

vixmom

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2006, 06:28:40 AM »

I also bought Vixdad a heavy silver pocket watch.   I got that for $5 as well as it wasn't working.  It cost another $60 to get it cleaned and running.  The watchmaker told me it dated to the 1880's.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2006, 06:44:05 AM »

Happy Birthday DR Michael Shayne!!!

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2006, 06:45:07 AM »

Vixmom, thanks for posting the Oscar nominees.  I'm trying to think about who was left out... besides Dan the Man of course.

vixmom

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2006, 07:05:48 AM »

Just caught up

Congratulations to Cillaliz on your new home (effective tomorrow)!!

MBarnum

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2006, 07:06:19 AM »

A very happy birthday to DR Michael Shayne!

Tomovoz

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2006, 07:09:08 AM »

[size=10]Happy Birthday Michael Shayne[/size]
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2006, 07:14:34 AM »

MMMM Were there only three song nominees this year.  Same as for when Carly Simon won for "Let The River Run"
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up