Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: SUPER NON-BOWL SUNDAY  (Read 13092 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:SUPER NON-BOWL SUNDAY
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2006, 10:46:03 AM »

And, now, Page 2!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2006, 10:46:31 AM »

Good Morning, DR MBarnum!

-Are you lounging in your kurta this morning?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2006, 10:52:02 AM »

Oh... And as a sort of opposite of DR elmore's Topic of the Day...

If you happen to dialing/flipping/scrolling through the radio stations (AM/FM/Internet), what song(s) will keep you dialing/flipping/scrolling through the stations?

"Oh, NO!  Not that one again?!?!?"
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2006, 10:54:16 AM »

Some people are coming over to watch the game tonight, which means lots of noise and hoopla which I just don't understand, so I'll eat with them to be social and then just get myself out of here to see a show or something, anything.  :)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2006, 10:55:18 AM »

OH... Since I spy me a DR FJL...

DR FJL - Kay, Matt, Bill Parry and John Leslie Wolfe send their best right back to you and Skip.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2006, 10:56:26 AM »

OK - I have to tend to some papers, mails, newspapers and other detritus (I believe that was a Word of the Day from way back) here on my desk... -And I also need to get something to eat too now that I think of it.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2006, 10:58:48 AM »

To pick some by performers I normall love to listen to:  

Van Halen's "Jump" gets me turning to another station pretty quickly.  Also, Springsteen's "Dancing in the Dark" for some reason.  And to be honest, there are times when I just don't have the patience for the whole 8 minutes of "American Pie."

FJL

« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2006, 11:01:49 AM »

Jose - Thanks for the good wishes emanating from DC.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2006, 11:04:00 AM »

DR Jose, don't get too weepy when it's over.  But do have a good time today.

I never play anything on the radio but classical, so I can't respond to your question.

I thought of another favorite line from a play:  "the goddam sonofabitch stole my watch."
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2006, 11:04:25 AM »

HELLO????????

............just me and my ....(nope he's gone too)

Poor TCB, lost his shadow, just like Peter Pan!

der Brucer

Will anyone other than Tomovoz get The "Inks Spots" reference?
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

FJL

« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2006, 11:10:51 AM »

Favorite lines by audience members:

At HAPGOOD (to the ticket-taker):  "Sir, that sign says gunshots will be heard at this performance.  Why only THIS performance?"

At THE HEIRESS, about twenty minutes into the second act, an elderly woman was heard explaining helpfully to her friend:  "You see, Mildred, she's an heiress."

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2006, 11:11:43 AM »

... but I also believe PORGY AND BESS amd SWEENEY TODD are operas.

Overlooking your possible distain for Sir Andrew, if the above are operas, why not "Evita"; and Cameron notwithstaning, it would seem "Miss Saigon" should also qualify.

der Brucer (not pushing his luck by nominating "Chess")
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2006, 11:11:50 AM »

I used to get choked up during the last performance or two of a show I had grown to love. Blubbered like a baby during the entire final week of '1776,' and that was the second time I had done a run in the show (though playing different characters).
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2006, 11:17:45 AM »

Watched more MARY TYLER MOORE episodes. The utter brilliance of that show still amazes me.

The last episode I watched was positively inspired in the plotting of the show and totally unhackneyed. Started off as a show about Lou not getting to go to Las Vegas because of a snowed-in airport. A poker game is begun. The show segues into a Murray-story about his compulsive gambling habit before ending with a capper where Murray, in debt to Ted, bets him double or nothing about his ability not to screw up the pronunciation of a certain Japanese official while on the air. Each of those three supporting actors were given juicy scenes they could act to the skies.

All of this in 26 minutes of show (and gaining HUGE laughs at the same time). Genius.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2006, 11:20:16 AM »

Overlooking your possible distain for Sir Andrew, if the above are operas, why not "Evita"; and Cameron notwithstaning, it would seem "Miss Saigon" should also qualify.

der Brucer (not pushing his luck by nominating "Chess")

To my way of thinking, the ambition of the score and the compositional worth.  Since neither Sir Andrew nor the Frenchmen seem to know what to do in terms of dramatic and compositional development of their tunes, I don't consider either worthy of being considered operatic writers.  Perhaps soap operatic writers.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2006, 11:23:59 AM »

I've a question for Super Bowl fans. Am I wrong or didn't the Super Bowl always used to be held in a city with a temperate climate? When did that change? Does Detroit have an enclosed stadium or are they risking the possibility of bad weather?

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2006, 11:51:01 AM »

Yesterday's topic was lines from plays and musicals, so I'll start a topic; since a lot of operas are also based on plays, do our DRs have any favorite arias, duets, or ensembles from the opera world?  To make it a bit easier, I've included favorites from CANDIDE, since in 1956 it was billed as "a comic operetta" and a lot of these moronic current productions like Trevor Nunn's miss the fact the score is an operatic one, but I also believe PORGY AND BESS amd SWEENEY TODD are operas.

I don't know the name of it, but it's the women's duet that everyone knows (or should) from "Lakmé."
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matt H.

« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2006, 11:53:02 AM »

Heading out now for my Super Bowl party (an hour's drive to get there). Hope everyone enjoys the rest of the afternoon.

WBBL.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2006, 12:14:59 PM »

I've a question for Super Bowl fans. Am I wrong or didn't the Super Bowl always used to be held in a city with a temperate climate? When did that change? Does Detroit have an enclosed stadium or are they risking the possibility of bad weather?

There was actually a story about this on NPR I believe the other morning.... Or it might have been on the local news-radio station...

Detroit does have an enclosed station.  The NFL does favor stadiums in more temperate climes - the Superbowl is back in Miami next year.  They would like to have more "northern" Superbowls, but weather is a major consideration considering the economics of the venture.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2006, 12:20:58 PM »

And one story I did hear on NPR yesterday morning was one about how small record labels are "saving" the Original Cast Recording.  It was a tie-in with a report about the Grammy nominees for Best Original Cast Recording (or however that's worded).  They had interviews with people from Ghostlight and PS Classics, and I'm sure Kritzerland will be included in next year's round-up.

:)

Indie Labels Take a Risk, and Win, with Musicals

*And the feature was produced by BK alum, Jeff Lunden.

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2006, 12:23:20 PM »

I don't know the name of it, but it's the women's duet that everyone knows (or should) from "Lakmé."

"Sous le dome epais" (The Flower Duet)

British Airways used it in their commercials for a while.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2006, 12:24:49 PM »

OK... Time to get ready to head in... And I do believe I will go ahead and head down to Richmond tonight after the party...  Until then...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2006, 12:24:51 PM »

DR George, the first line of the recitative that begins it is "Viens, Malika," and it's usually referred to as the Flower Duet or Barcarolle from LAKME, as opposed to the Flower Duet from MADAMA BUTTERFLY or the famouse barcarolle from TALES OF HOFFMANN.  And I agree, it's a beautiful duet.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2006, 12:25:52 PM »

"Sous le dome epais" (The Flower Duet)

British Airways used it in their commercials for a while.

DR Jose, you impressed me!  I only know the first line of the recit.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2006, 12:28:25 PM »

And I forgot two ensembles I love from CARMEN:
  The Quintet in Act Two
   The Card Trio in Act Three

I wish I had the compositional chops to have written something as wonderful as either of them.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2006, 12:31:37 PM »

The "Flower Duet".  Also known as the "British Airways Advertising Chant."
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2006, 12:34:34 PM »

OK, DR Jose beat me to it.

Something else I can blame on him.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2006, 12:39:01 PM »

I'm pulling a late shift at work tonight.  Just three of us on the front end at the store while that game is on.  The prediction is that it will be "very very quiet", to put an Elmer Fudd spin on things.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2006, 01:00:37 PM »

Very warm here in the City of Studio.  Had a little breakfast with Tammy and her mother, and am back home, ready to start doing a little writing.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2006, 01:10:15 PM »

And with that, I must be off to work once more!  (Super-late dinner tonight!)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up