Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: SUPER NON-BOWL SUNDAY  (Read 14190 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:SUPER NON-BOWL SUNDAY
« Reply #60 on: February 05, 2006, 01:11:41 PM »

Aren't we supposed to get to page three sometime around now?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #61 on: February 05, 2006, 01:12:08 PM »

Ah, there we are!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jed

« Reply #62 on: February 05, 2006, 01:36:17 PM »

Unlike the majority of folks here, I am a big football fan and never miss the Super Bowl.  I've seen all of every game for the past 20 years, except for a couple times during college when I had to leave for work at halftime.  Oh yeah, and it just so happens that the team I've been a diehard fan of all those years (and that included some truly ugly years) is playing today, so there's no way I'll miss a single play this afternoon!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #63 on: February 05, 2006, 01:38:53 PM »

I've a question for Super Bowl fans. Am I wrong or didn't the Super Bowl always used to be held in a city with a temperate climate? When did that change? Does Detroit have an enclosed stadium or are they risking the possibility of bad weather?

Wouldn't you think that Phoenix would get a Super Bowl often? It is perfect spring weather here in February. We were told we couldn't have a Super Bowl until we passed the Martin Luther King holiday. We did that and got one Super Bowl. Then they told us that we have to build a NEW stadium before we get another. Said stadium is under construction.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #64 on: February 05, 2006, 01:39:38 PM »

We will be going to our annual Super Bowl party this afternoon. DR Sandra's second favorite day of the year.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Ginny

« Reply #65 on: February 05, 2006, 02:48:55 PM »

Super Bowl Sunday greetings!  DH Richard and I have had a delightful day - church in Cincinnati, a brief visit with our son, lunch at the Cheesecake Factory, shopping at Williams-Sonoma (thanks, DR Jose!) and the Apple Store (astronomy software for Richard).  Now we're home in time to watch the Super Bowl.

Having grown up in Detroit, it's been interesting to me to see all the press the Motor City has received.

I'm for Seattle, because I don't like what Pittsburgh did to the Cincinnati Bengals in the playoffs.  And, yes, even though we watch for the commercials, we also pay attention to the game.  Go, 'hawks!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #66 on: February 05, 2006, 02:51:38 PM »

My University of Michigan alumni e-newsletter included this list of former Wolverines involved in today's game:

For the Seattle Seahawks:
Steve Hutchinson, '96-'00, left guard
Jeremy LeSueur, '03, cornerback (practice squad)
Alain Kashama, '00-'03, defensive end (injured reserve)
Teryl Austin, defensive backs coach (former assistant coach at U-M)

For the Pittsburgh Steelers:
Larry Foote, '98-'01, inside linebacker
Jerame Tuman, '94-'98, tight end
Grant Bowman, '03, defensive tackle (practice squad)
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: February 05, 2006, 02:53:48 PM »

I'll bet some of you thought I'd changed my mind and gone to the matinee.  But, here I am, planning the musical theater workshop, and writing my short story (just did four really good pages - somehow I've done sixteen pages of this thing over the last week-and-a-half, and it's only going to be a twenty page story).   It's been quite warm here today, and cloudy but lovely.  

Now, might I just ask where in tarnation IS everyone?  65 posts at 3:00???  This will NOT do, oh, no, this will NOT do.  I see people but I don't see posts.  I'd like to see people AND posts.  Why if everyone here suddenly made fifty posts in a row, we'd set a new Sunday record.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: February 05, 2006, 03:42:11 PM »

Oh, I see how it's going to be - no posts in an hour, sixty-six posts and a new all-time low.  So be it, baby, so be it.  And all because of football - if there's anything more rectal than that I haven't seen it yet.  Even last year's Super Stupid Bowl Sunday wasn't like this!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: February 05, 2006, 03:42:37 PM »

I'm going in the hot tub now and shall enjoy the late afternoon.

FJL

« Reply #70 on: February 05, 2006, 03:47:20 PM »

Super Bowl watching is in full force in the other room.  I tried to watch for a while but just don't get it.  The musical comedy Burger King commercial was sort of interesting, though.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: February 05, 2006, 03:48:06 PM »

FJL and elmore sitting in a tree
NOT p-o-s-t-i-n-g

FJL

« Reply #72 on: February 05, 2006, 03:51:42 PM »

Now off to where all the real men in New York will be this evening.  In other words, celebrating this once a year day by seeing Mr. Harry Connick Jr. in PAJAMA GAME.

FJL

« Reply #73 on: February 05, 2006, 03:53:14 PM »

I'm assuming people don't take off from shows in previews because of the Super Bowl.

FJL

« Reply #74 on: February 05, 2006, 03:55:51 PM »

Loud cheers from the other room.  Someone must have run ten feet.  :)

Oh, a defensive person was tackled in the end zone, or something important like that.  

Anyway, off to the theater.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: February 05, 2006, 04:11:16 PM »

FJL and elmore sitting in a tree
NOT p-o-s-t-i-n-g
Sorry.  I have nothing to say. ;D
« Last Edit: February 05, 2006, 04:12:10 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #76 on: February 05, 2006, 04:35:02 PM »

Good Evening!

...One more act to go...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #77 on: February 05, 2006, 04:36:06 PM »

I am back from seeing KING KONG.

I am posting this as a spoiler, although I don't think this post will reveal much if you are even remotely familiar with the story...here goes...

Right now I HATE myself for even going to this movie...it was the most rancid waste of cellulloid I have ever sat through...and I have sat through some real stinkers in my time.

Now, keep in mind I was very much looking forward to seeing this movie...I figured it would be quite entertaining...but it was 3 hours of pure torture for me. It was one of those "lets see how many action scenes with special effects we can throw into this movie and then when we get to the kitchen sink we will through that in as well...several times over...and over...and over!"

Now, I never thought Fay Wray was all that particularly great in the original...she was ok, but not great...as an actress she had her limitations...as Ann Darrow her character screamed way too much and she didn't seem to have a lot of personality...but at least she reacted to the situation that she was in as any normal human being would...she was terrified of this huge, hairy beast...in the remake the herione is appropriately horrified at first, but by the end of the movie she seems to have fallen in love with the creature...despite the fact that he has killed, on purpose, several hundred people...not including those that he accidently killed. There is just no way this gal would do the things she does in this movie...the brontosaurus stampede was the silliest and most unrealistic thing I have ever come across. GODZILLA VS THE SMOG MONSTER was more believable! Here you have a dozen dinosaurs running for the hills along with another dozen tiny human beings, some of whom are overweight, elderly, and out of shape...and yet the humans are running just as fast, if not faster, then the stampeding dinos!

People fall thousands of feet into a ravine....and live! Only to be attacked by tswarms of giant, killer, flesh eating bugs...which they use their machine guns to get rid off. Uhg, it was awful!

And then there were all of these extra characters who really had no purpose in the film.

And the "great wall" that the natives had built hundreds of years ago to keep Kong out of the village...well, the way Kong could climb and jump around he could easily have climbed right over that wall without hesitation!

And there was so much more that was wrong with this movie....I can't even begin to tally them all.

I had not problem with them remaking KING KONG, I thought it was a wonderful idea...I loved the original, even with its many faults... but this new one was just  too putrid...and that is the kindest thing I can think to say about it.

My buddy Ron hated it just as much as I did...and we are both very, very sorry that we went to see it. We were both ready to walk out of the theater half way through the film.

Just my opinion of course...you mileage may vary.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2006, 04:38:47 PM by MBarnum »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #78 on: February 05, 2006, 04:36:28 PM »

OH!  And pianist, Christopher O'Riley, plays and "wrote" a wonderful piano transcription of the "Flower Duet".
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #79 on: February 05, 2006, 04:37:22 PM »

Now for the good things...the costumes were great, very authentic...the first part of the movie, before they landed on the island, was atmospheric and not at all bad.

MBarnum

« Reply #80 on: February 05, 2006, 04:39:34 PM »

Now that I have that out of my system I will drink some coffee and catch up on the posts.

Oy.

MBarnum

« Reply #81 on: February 05, 2006, 04:45:18 PM »

Well, there just weren't many posts to catch up on, were there.

Danise

« Reply #82 on: February 05, 2006, 04:45:28 PM »

Hi all!

I had a pretty good scare this week because my Mom fell while I was at work.  Long story short—she’s ok.  Thank Goodness!

I have only watched one Super Bowl game from start to finish in my life.  That is not to say that I understood anything that went on during said game except that the Bucs won.  

I can’t say much for this game except that Mom wants Pittsburgh to win because she’s from there.  It’s all the same to me.  

I have no plans on seeing Kong.  Mostly because I consider the film a tear jerker (for me at least) and I hate to cry in public.  
« Last Edit: February 05, 2006, 04:46:03 PM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #83 on: February 05, 2006, 04:53:14 PM »

I heard that WIW is closing soon.  That's really too bad.  I never did think that fat suit was a good thing for whatever actor was inside it but it's really sad about all the other illnesses the cast has had.

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #84 on: February 05, 2006, 05:00:08 PM »

Super Bowl Sunday is good for one thing.  If you want to go to Disney/Bush Garden/etc today is the day to do it.

Most of the parks are fairly empty and have very small lines.   ;) :D
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Ginny

« Reply #85 on: February 05, 2006, 05:00:15 PM »

Halftime - Time to make some nachos!

Danise

« Reply #86 on: February 05, 2006, 05:01:48 PM »

I shall be truant for the day . I'm attending a funeral some three hours or more drive away. ( a family friend for 55 years who would have been 80 in a couple of weeks time).

Dear Tomovoz,  I am most sorry to hear of your loss.  My most sincere condolances.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #87 on: February 05, 2006, 05:08:29 PM »

And I forgot two ensembles I love from CARMEN:
  The Quintet in Act Two
   The Card Trio in Act Three

Amen to both of those ensembles.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #88 on: February 05, 2006, 05:43:58 PM »

I'm not watching the Stuporbowl ;) (Jed and anyone else, I really am happy that you love football).  I've been watching tapes of shows from Friday night and am about to watch "Battlestar Galactica."  I've pretty much watched everything else:  "Ghost Whisperer," "In Justice," "Living With Fran," Reba" and "Twins" (those last three, I also watched episodes from two weeks ago).  I also have to watch Friday's Oprah with Dave Chappelle, then I'm all caught up.  And I only caught about two minutes of the half-time show.  The Rolling Stones = :P (just my opinion).  I do need to pay attention when it's over because "Grey's Anatomy" (what does "Code Black" mean!?!?) is supposed to be on right afterwards...or maybe it'll be on at its regular time at 10:00.  I've read conflicting reports.

I also have a tape set to tape tonight's "Inside the Actor's Studio" with guest, Liza.  I am looking forward to this. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #89 on: February 05, 2006, 05:52:32 PM »

Been busy all day long....

Very quiet at work and I thought I would drop in and say hello and I hope all is well.....

Enjoy the hot tub bk!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up