Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: PULLING A FAST ONE  (Read 28273 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:PULLING A FAST ONE
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2006, 08:18:35 AM »

I'm having lunch with best friend John this afternoon, so I need to head down and start to get ready.

WBBL.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jennifer

« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2006, 08:19:37 AM »

And even "slightly above" the speed limit IS against the law.

Yes, but here at least the speed limits are "interesting".  On the highways the speed limit is 100km/hr (60).  But everyone goes 110. Now if they pulled people over for going 110 then every single person would get a ticket.

Also on the expressway the speed limit is 70km/hr. It is actually impossible to go 70, since this road is basically a highway. If you went 70, someone would probably hit you.  Everyone drives 100km the same as the highway.

Also on the service roads the speed limit is 50km/hr.  Now most people go faster.  I think the slowest (me) would go 60-70. Now I wouldn't be opposed to someone going 90km getting a ticket. But i would think it was quite unfair if someone going 60 got a ticket, since everyone else on the road would be speeding right past them!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2006, 08:21:38 AM »

Page Two Groundhog Dance!!!

(OK, only a few days late!)

If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2006, 08:22:35 AM »

So laws can be broken in degrees now?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2006, 08:23:40 AM »

I'm just kidding you, DRJENNIFER.  I know these things happen!  I often drive over the speed limit as well...but I could NEVER offer as a defense....but everyone else is speeding, too.

The policeman would just say, but I stopped YOU.

Jennifer

« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2006, 08:25:36 AM »

Humor, Violence Rule Super Bowl Ads

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060206/ap_on_en_tv/super_bowl_ads

I'm curious which commercials people liked.  They are all able to be viewed (it's on yahoo's main page).

I didn't see them all since I had to help with the food, and i was taking care of a baby. I heard the Burger King one was good (and watched it online).

I'd say the ones that got the most reaction at the party were:

1)Dove - it was about self-esteem for girls and then men thought it was so lame.

2)FedEx - with a caveman getting stomped.  The men loved this and and were laughing hysterically.

3) There was also a car one with a robot and a dinosaur falling in love that was popular.

Oh did anyone see the commercial for LOST. That was excellent. It is online too at ifilm.  It basically looked like they were showing scenes from the show.  A few of the castmates looked like they found a video and were watching it.  Then there was music.  Gosh i'm not describing it well. I will put up the link.  It was really well done.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2006, 08:26:18 AM »

MR BK (or other performing HHW'ers) have you ever done a show at CBS Television City....and isn't it in your very own neighborhood?

I just realized that for TPIR, they have to light an ENTIRE studio - stage AND audience!  That must be one HOT place!  And is the Bob Barker Studio the old Judy Garland Show studio?  Or is it a new one?

Has any other DR ever been to lovely CBS Television City?  The first time I saw a photograph of it, I thought it was the closest thing the Heaven Right Here on Terra Firma...next to Disneyland, where I thought the Mouseketeers lived!

Jennifer

« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2006, 08:27:08 AM »

I'm just kidding you, DRJENNIFER.  I know these things happen!  I often drive over the speed limit as well...but I could NEVER offer as a defense....but everyone else is speeding, too.

The policeman would just say, but I stopped YOU.

Things might be different where you are.  You could not be stopped for going 10km over the limit.  And I don't think you should be.

My point was just that if you are going 60 instead of 50 and everyone else is going 90. Well it would be stupid and wrong for them to pull you over.

Jennifer

« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2006, 08:28:34 AM »

Here's the page with the Super Bowl ads including LOST.

http://www.ifilm.com/superbowl?htv=12

Ben

« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2006, 08:30:14 AM »

I haven't responded to the topic of the day because I need to think about it. I'll post something later.

Jennifer

« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2006, 08:31:37 AM »

I was wondering what everyone was talking about (being single and couples) and then i went and looked at the notes (which i was sure i read). But i had not read them. :(

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2006, 08:31:53 AM »

Musical Theater Workshop issue:  Among the things that stand out in BK-produced albums are the sterling performances of songs by the singers.  

Too often -- all too often -- this is not the case in other albums/performances:  One hears someone sing a song with no interest in what the song is saying but in glorifying the voice's best notes.

I discovered this to be true in the stage production of "White Christmas" playing in San Francisco this past November-December.  A hustand-wife team played the Crosby-Clooney roles...and both favored their voices' "grace notes" over proper emphasis...in other words, awkward phrasing resulted because they put emphasis/power on certain notes, rather than on certain words within the songs they sang.

Perhaps that might be something to touch upon in a workshop.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2006, 08:56:05 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ginny

« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2006, 08:35:39 AM »

Monday morning greetings!  It is still morning, isn't it?  Today is my day off, because I work this coming Saturday, and it's the first day in a long time that I haven't had appointments, commitments, etc.  Nice to have a puttering day.

TOD - I agree with DR DearReaderLaura, that two independent people make a good couple.  Otherwise, I'd repeat my favorite movie line, from Shakespeare in Love, "It's a mystery!"
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2006, 08:35:45 AM »

MR BK (or other performing HHW'ers) have you ever done a show at CBS Television City....and isn't it in your very own neighborhood?

I just realized that for TPIR, they have to light an ENTIRE studio - stage AND audience!  That must be one HOT place!  And is the Bob Barker Studio the old Judy Garland Show studio?  Or is it a new one?

Has any other DR ever been to lovely CBS Television City?  The first time I saw a photograph of it, I thought it was the closest thing the Heaven Right Here on Terra Firma...next to Disneyland, where I thought the Mouseketeers lived!

CBS Radford is in my neighborhood.  Television City is over the hill, next to the legendary Farmer's Market and now The Grove.

I did indeed work there, for about twelve weeks, for that is where we did the Dinah Shore and Her New Best Friends Show.  It was a dream come true for me, since I'd been to Television City many times as a kid, to see all sorts of TV shows in which there were live audiences.  I saw Art Linkletter, and many quiz shows there, and several Danny Kaye shows.  I went to Red Skelton a lot, too, but I believe he taped his show over at what was then the Chaplin Studios on La Brea, just prior to A&M's purchase of the property.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2006, 08:39:57 AM »

The interpretation of musical theater songs will be strongly worked on - that's what I love doing in the studio, getting the best out of people and the way they're doing the song, and I think that what I have to offer in that area is unique, so we'll be doing a lot of that.  Also on my list is some time to discuss auditioning, and what songs not to do and what songs seem to work best, etc.  I also plan to have the kids do not only songs, but the scenes that lead into the songs, so that they understand that that transition has to be seamless and that the character doesn't suddenly go away when they start singing the song - I've been pretty surprised occasionally when major performers just start singing in a totally different way than they've been playing the character, as if one had nothing to do with the other.

Jennifer

« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2006, 08:41:22 AM »

Wow today's topic is a doozy and it's almost making me cry.  My significant other is many miles away and that is hard.  But it's even harder because he was robbed on Friday night ($1100) and he's a mess.

It makes me feel sick that there are people out there who steal.
I just hope that somehow some good karma will find its way to CJ.

Good vibes to him. I wish there was something I could do.  This really sucks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2006, 08:41:52 AM »

CBS Radford is in my neighborhood.  Television City is over the hill, next to the legendary Farmer's Market and now The Grove.

I did indeed work there, for about twelve weeks, for that is where we did the Dinah Shore and Her New Best Friends Show.  It was a dream come true for me, since I'd been to Television City many times as a kid, to see all sorts of TV shows in which there were live audiences.  I saw Art Linkletter, and many quiz shows there, and several Danny Kaye shows.  I went to Red Skelton a lot, too, but I believe he taped his show over at what was then the Chaplin Studios on La Brea, just prior to A&M's purchase of the property.  

Benjamin Kritzer lived the childhood I wanted!  LOL   8)

When did Danny Kaye start doing his show in Hollywood?  I thought he taped in NYC for a season or two?  

Who had the best warm-up?  ;D

Oh, it's NOT ASK BK day!  :P

I turned on THE DOODLEBOPS, but it seems to be an animated series with some weird animals that look like things from THE LION KING (which I haven't seen).....

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2006, 08:41:58 AM »

After many years of thinking somewhere there's a someone...after a three-year relationship, and several shorter ones...I came to realize that I tend to suppress my own interests/tastes to complement/please the other person.  This is, ultimately, a disaster for me because no one should suppress parts of his or her personality for anyone.  

So, I'm a loner.  By choice.

I love having friends...I love being involved in projects with lots of people...but then I must retreat to solitude to gather my wits.

No one else I've met likes the movies/music I love as much as I do...and certainly cannot sit transfixed as long as I can while watching/listening to same.  

I cannot be endlessly amused by absolutely nothing...and sadly, that's not true of most folks I've encountered.

And that's okay!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2006, 08:47:43 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2006, 08:45:31 AM »

Good vibes for DRJENNIFER'S SO!! What a terrible thing!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2006, 08:51:05 AM »

TOD:  Sense of humor.  If you laugh together, you'll stay together.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2006, 08:51:28 AM »

Doodlebops isn't animated - it's live action, with a couple of puppet characters thrown in.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2006, 08:52:23 AM »

As far as I know, Danny's CBS show was always done at Television City.  I don't really remember the warmups, except for one - Carl Reiner's on The Dick Van Dyke show - that was great.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2006, 08:52:40 AM »

I met Vixdad In September of 1986, we were engaged in February of 1987 and we married in October of 1987.

I can't imagine him not being there.  He makes me laugh.

We don't share every single aspect of our lives, we  each have separate interests and allow each other the time and space to pursue them.  he doesn't attend church with the Vixter and me, we don't go to his role-playing games... but we tell each other stories about what happened there.    And we do things together.   We share books and talk about them.  We share movies and talk about them. We go out to eat.  We play boardgames.  We watch TV shows and talk about them.

We talk about our childhoods

We don't yell at each other because one of us had to work late. (and we call each other to say we will be late)

We don't try to make each other over into our "ideal mate' we just accept each other for what we are and enjoy the person we have.

We do things we don't particularly care for, because  the other person likes it, and  because it is important to them.

We are nice our respective inlaws and when one of them says something stupid, cruel or unthinking we ignore it look past it and don't blame our partner for it.

I don't yell at him for leaving the tea bags in the sink and staining it (again!) and he doesn't yell at me because I left hair in his hairbrush (again!) or stole his black socks (again)    

We don't end a  phone call or leave the house or go to bed without saying "I love you"

and that is my contribution to  the TOD

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2006, 08:54:25 AM »

What would be nice is if I had my OWN road to everyplace I wanted to go.

A lot of the drivers on the LIE seem to believe they have aready aquired this

Jennifer

« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2006, 08:55:31 AM »

The chocolate rice krispies footballs I made yesterday were a success.

The only problem i had was 1) how to shape them into footballs. And 2) how to put the icing on to make the stripes.

The recipe did not help!

But luckily I found an egg shaped mold which worked.  I can't say i had as much luck with the icing! :)

Jennifer

« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2006, 08:57:08 AM »

DR Vixmom that was really lovely.

vixmom

« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2006, 09:02:20 AM »

The Vixter has had control of the computer because she has been working on her powerpoint presentation for her social studies class.  I probably won't get  'home access" again until Friday!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2006, 09:02:44 AM by Vixmom »

vixmom

« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2006, 09:10:10 AM »

We went to "Narnia" Saturday evening.  We loved it.

Nexct on our "must see" list... Nanny McPhee!

vixmom

« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2006, 09:11:08 AM »

MattH... I am glad things seem to working out with the fella!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #59 on: February 06, 2006, 09:11:21 AM »

Doodlebops isn't animated - it's live action, with a couple of puppet characters thrown in.

My listing must be wrong....  8)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Up