Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: PULLING A FAST ONE  (Read 28590 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:PULLING A FAST ONE
« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2006, 09:12:03 AM »

Very nice reading about the HHW'ers who are "couples."
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

FJL

« Reply #61 on: February 06, 2006, 09:12:33 AM »

For the TOD, I think I'm going to steal one of vixmom's thoughts and perhaps add a little more later on when I have a chance to really think about it:

We don't try to make each other over into our "ideal mate' we just accept each other for what we are and enjoy the person we have.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #62 on: February 06, 2006, 09:20:14 AM »

Ah - yes, The Danny Kaye Show was indeed ALWAYS taped in Hollywood.  After looking at a few books, it was The Judy Garland Show that had been tentatively planned for New York Production, but that plan didn't get much past the discussion stage....Kaye, Skelton, and Garland were ALL ensconced at Television City for the 1963 season.  Jack Benny was also at CBS.....  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #63 on: February 06, 2006, 09:20:46 AM »

MR BK - which episodes of THE DICK VAN DYKE show did you see being filmed?  Stories?  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #64 on: February 06, 2006, 09:21:42 AM »

The Danny Kaye Show Page Three Dance.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #65 on: February 06, 2006, 09:37:20 AM »

The Dove commercial  from yesterday's SuperBowl featured Long Island's own  Nassau County Girl Scout Choir!

(the Vixter is not a member as we live in Suffolk County and therefore she is not eligible)

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #66 on: February 06, 2006, 09:45:56 AM »

Good Morning!  Good Afternon!

...Just woke up... And it looks like a beautiful day outside here in Richmond... Although, I can feel a bit of a chill in the air.  In any case, I think I'm gonna get ready for my run.  I shall catch up and post as part of my cool down in a few hours.

:)

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

vixmom

« Reply #67 on: February 06, 2006, 09:48:35 AM »

Re yesterday's half-time show

Vixdad and I wondered how Mick Jagger stayed so thin. We thought it funny how the TV cameras made it seem that the band consisted of only four members, the keyboard player and the bass player were  totally ignored by the cameras.

We wondered out loud if the last refrain from  "Start Me Up' would include the lyric  "You make a dead man come"

What we heard on Channel 7 ABC  TV in NY was  "You make a dead man [dead air]"

OH! Just found this snippet online

NEW YORK - They may not have flashed any body parts — except for Mick Jagger’s well-toned stomach — but the Rolling Stones made ABC glad editors were on duty for the Super Bowl halftime show.

Two sexually explicit lyrics were excised from the rock legends’ performance Sunday. The only song to avoid the editor was “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction,” a 41-year-old song about sexual frustration.

In “Start Me Up,” the show’s editors silenced one word, a reference to a woman’s sexual sway over a dead man. The lyrics for “Rough Justice” included a synonym for rooster that the network also deemed worth cutting out.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2006, 10:54:23 AM by Vixmom »

vixmom

« Reply #68 on: February 06, 2006, 09:51:31 AM »

We thought the "H3" commercial was appropriate as we believe HumVees have no more business being on the public roadways than Godzilla or a Giant Robot, and they are about as dangerous.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2006, 09:52:11 AM by Vixmom »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #69 on: February 06, 2006, 09:54:25 AM »

Well if the DOODLEBOPS have an Uncle Gizmo who talks like Elvis, I saw it!

Cute.

Ginny

« Reply #70 on: February 06, 2006, 09:54:52 AM »

DR Vixmom - you are a wise and articulate woman!  I especially like the parts about each partner having activities independent of the other and about sometimes doing things together that are more of interest to one partner or the other.

Cokie and Steve Roberts wrote a book about their long-term relationship titled From This Day Forward.  One thing I remember is Steve saying that relationship success is measured by the number of teeth marks in your tongue.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jennifer

« Reply #71 on: February 06, 2006, 10:02:27 AM »

Good vibes for DRJENNIFER'S SO!! What a terrible thing!

Thank you DR Jrand.

It would be bad enough for this to happen to anyone.  But part of this money was for his rent.

I just wish that there was something I could do. :(

Jennifer

« Reply #72 on: February 06, 2006, 10:04:49 AM »

Re yesterday's half-time show

Vixdad and I wondered how Mick Jagger stayed so thin. We thought it funny how the TV cameras made it seem that the band consisted of only four members, the keyboard player and the bass player were  totally ignored by the cameras.

I wonder why they didn't feature a more contemporary singer!

Most of the people I watched with did not care for the half-time show.  And they thought the group looked ancient.  It was pretty bad in HD!

MBarnum

« Reply #73 on: February 06, 2006, 10:08:28 AM »

Mick Jagger in non-HD tv is scary enough! LOL!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: February 06, 2006, 10:09:58 AM »

No Uncle Gizmo on The Doodlebops.  I'm in the editing room, on here via Safari as AOL will not load this morning, at least here - it did on Friday so it's the usual AOL stupidity, I have no doubt.

vixmom

« Reply #75 on: February 06, 2006, 10:15:04 AM »

Cokie and Steve Roberts wrote a book about their long-term relationship titled From This Day Forward.  One thing I remember is Steve saying that relationship success is measured by the number of teeth marks in your tongue.

Thanks! I like that quote!  I think that is as appropriate with any relationship you treasure and want to preserve.

While there a may be momentary "high" from releasing your pent up annoyance and frustration , I believe in the long run it can cause scars to the relationship that will never heal.

Some things are just better left unsaid

(I bet you never thought you'd hear a chatty cathy like me admit to that!)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2006, 10:17:02 AM by Vixmom »

vixmom

« Reply #76 on: February 06, 2006, 10:27:25 AM »

I wonder why they didn't feature a more contemporary singer!

Most of the people I watched with did not care for the half-time show.  And they thought the group looked ancient.  It was pretty bad in HD!

I wonder if there is one  "contemporary singer" who will still have a career 40 years from now.  Of course  they looked ancient - Mick Jagger & Keith Richards are both 63, and they lived through WWII in England as children which means insufficient,food, medicine, vitamins etc, and worse yet they lived through the 60's & 70's  with mass consumption of drugs and booze !! :D  ::)

While I admit the songs weren't my favorite Stone's numbers and the accoustics weren't all that could be desired  I think  they were better than Janet Jackson and the guy who ripped on her shirt (what was his name again?)  were a couple of yeqrs ago!

« Last Edit: February 06, 2006, 10:29:59 AM by Vixmom »

vixmom

« Reply #77 on: February 06, 2006, 10:31:09 AM »

Jennifer

~~~~VIBES~~~~ to your SO.

Was he mugged?  Is he ok?  

vixmom

« Reply #78 on: February 06, 2006, 10:40:37 AM »

What comes around goes around dept

(Happy version!)

Call it a simple twist of fate — times two: A teenager in western New York state has saved the life of the same woman who years ago saved his life.

Seven years ago, Kevin Stephan of Lancaster, N.Y., was a bat boy for his younger brother’s Little League baseball team. A player who was warming up accidentally hit him in the chest with a bat. Kevin’s heart stopped beating.

“All I remember is that I dropped the bat off, and all of a sudden just got hit in the chest with something, and I turned around and passed out,” Stephan said.

Fortunately, a nurse whose son played on that team was able to revive him and save his life.

“I started CPR on him and he came back,” Penny Brown said.

Stephan’s mother said he was extremely fortunate. Brown was supposed to be at work that night, but was given the day off at the last minute.

Now comes the really interesting part.

Last week that same nurse was eating at the Hillview Restaurant in Depew, N.Y., when she began to choke on her food. Witnesses say patrons were screaming for someone to help her.

“The food wasn’t going anywhere and I totally couldn’t breathe,” Penny said. “It was very frightening.”

Doing the Heimlich
Restaurant employees yelled for Stephan to come out and help. “They knew I was a volunteer firefighter and they called me over and I did the Heimlich, and I guess you could say I saved Mrs. Brown,” Stephan said.

At the restaurant, they realized the amazing twist of fate they had just witnessed. Seven years ago, Brown had saved Stephan's life. Now at age 17, he had returned the favor.

“It's almost unbelievable,” said Stephan, who is also an Eagle Scout.

“The fact that it has been two individuals, that you know, helped eachother out in a pretty dire situation, it's pretty extraordinary,” Brown said.

On Saturday, the two met again at the Bowmansville, N.Y., Fire Hall where Stephan is a junior firefighter. He presented her with a bouquet of flowers, and his parents were also there to greet Brown.

Points to value of knowing CPR
Officials with the American Red Cross in Buffalo said this story highlights the importance of receiving training in first aid and CPR.

Judith Rucki from the Red Cross’ Buffalo office said, “We always ask people, if someone in the cubicle next to you went into cardiac arrest, do you know what to do?”

The man who trained Stephan at the fire hall, Dan Curtis, said he was trained by the American Red Cross.

“He called to thank me for teaching him what I taught him in order to be able to do what he did at the restaurant,” Curtis said. “It was just incredible. And as an instructor, you can't get a better compliment than that — when somebody in the civilian world takes what they learn in a four-hour CPR class and actually uses it to save someone's life.”

The Red Cross is planning an award presentation for Stephan, and so are the Boy Scouts.

Ben

« Reply #79 on: February 06, 2006, 10:43:02 AM »

Vixmom did present the couple side very well.

I've been in two serious relationships in my adult life. Many of you have met Anthony. He's the second and we've been together 10 years.

The first was also long (9 years). It ended for many reasons but during the good years it was much like Vixmom said, give and take and communication and realizing that your partner is not the same as you and respecting the differences. Now that we have been apart for 15 years we are good  friends, something I never ever thought we would be in in 1991 as it was all falling apart around my ears. I'm glad that we had 9 years together but we make better friends than lovers.

I think part of the reason for our (Anthony and me) success is that we didn't live together for a long time. We met in August of 1995 and began dating but he lived on Long Island and had a busy weekend party entertainment business so he didn't come into the city very often. We spoke almost every day but he was on the Island and I was in the city. When we spent time together it was exciting and appreciated. He's been living in the city now for about 4 years and I think we appreciate each other more because we didn't rush into anything.

As Vixmom said, we also have different lives in many ways. Even though Anthony is the "active" actor, I'm the one who goes to the theatre. He rarely goes, even when we get free tickets. I can't imagine not going to the theatre. Even without the BBC Radio gig I would still go to the theatre frequently. I may love all things British, but I confess, mysteries bore me to death (there, I've said and I'm glad). Anthony loves them. He watches Monk and PBS and British mysteries and some of those A&E shows (I don't remember the names) and that's great. He can also get sucked into a Lifetime Movie network film faster than quicksand. I just go in the other room and read or do something on the computer. I enjoy his family and he likes my crazy brothers and sisters and he doesn't even have to. He's an only child so that whole interaction between siblings was a new thing to him.

I think another reason we are happy together is neither one of us was looking at the time for anything (or anyone) so that pressure was gone. We were introduced by a friend and it went from there. I wasn't looking for Mr. Right (or Mr. Right Away) but I found him through a friend.

And one more political statement before I get back to work. Even though much of the world doesn't accept the definition or the relationship I feel as if we are married. If anyone (no one here, I'm not ranting at you people) disagrees, tough sh*t. It's not your business and you can't define my family and my "marriage. Perhaps you can insert some legal bulls*** to assuage  your moral outrage at my defiance but again, I don't give a rat's behind what you think. You are not part of our life and we will live happily as husband and husband knowing that we are secure in our past, present and future.

Enough said.

Ginny

« Reply #80 on: February 06, 2006, 10:51:36 AM »

...I may love all things British, but I confess, mysteries bore me to death (there, I've said and I'm glad). Anthony loves them. He watches Monk and PBS and British mysteries and some of those A&E shows (I don't remember the names) and that's great....

LOL, DR Ben!  British series mysteries are one of those things my DH Richard loves and I watch with him from time to time, just to be  companionable.  He does the same with me during some Michigan football games and televised figure skating!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #81 on: February 06, 2006, 10:53:32 AM »

Great story, DRVIXMOM!  Can you imagine Loni Anderson and Fred Savage in the Lifetime movie?!!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #82 on: February 06, 2006, 10:53:46 AM »

Well said, DRBEN.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #83 on: February 06, 2006, 10:54:42 AM »

No Uncle Gizmo on The Doodlebops.  I'm in the editing room, on here via Safari as AOL will not load this morning, at least here - it did on Friday so it's the usual AOL stupidity, I have no doubt.

Well....then....I have watched three programs on the Disney Channel today and still have NOT seen THE DOODLEBOPS.  :P

Jennifer

« Reply #84 on: February 06, 2006, 11:01:34 AM »

Jennifer

~~~~VIBES~~~~ to your SO.

Was he mugged?  Is he ok?  

Thanks for the vibes.  Physically he is okay and no he was not mugged. So I'm happy about that.  But he is very upset and withdrawn and I'm worried.

I guess you would say he was pick-pocketed although not from his wallet in his back pocket.  He very rarely carries money on him, but he had just gotten some money (and was going to put it in the bank). He had it in his front pocket so that nobody could take it from his wallet.

Women have purses, but all men have are wallets which they keep in their back pockets!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #85 on: February 06, 2006, 11:02:03 AM »

Shimmy Shimmy Cocoa Pop
Shimmy Shimmy Pop
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

vixmom

« Reply #86 on: February 06, 2006, 11:02:26 AM »

Well....then....I have watched three programs on the Disney Channel today and still have NOT seen THE DOODLEBOPS.  :P

http://www.doodlebops.com/EN-US/index.html

Here,  Jack. so you will recognize a doodlebop when you see one!! :D

Jason

« Reply #87 on: February 06, 2006, 11:08:18 AM »

Good day, all...greetings from hell. Erm...work.

I made it in from Boston last night with minor scheduling issues, but nothing more than that. Julie and I had fun and lots and lots of chocolate chip cookies. God, I love her...

TOD: I desperately want to be in love and I desperately want to have a relationship, which probably means I shouldn't have either right now. Desparation is not a pretty color on anybody. In any case, I would love to be in love. I'm nearly 30 and I'm tired of being alone. I have the most amazing friends in the world - and they've proven themselves many, many times in the last few weeks - but I'm ready for something more than just a friendship. I'm a romantic - I want the walks in the park and the snuggling on the couch watching a movie and the finding out that so-and-so squeezes the toothpaste tube from the middle and leaves the toilet seat up. I even know who I want, but I'm too chicken to go for it. I'm working on that, though.

Hell, even just a date at this point would be nice. Dinner and a movie...

Jennifer

« Reply #88 on: February 06, 2006, 11:12:25 AM »

Have you looked at the schedule? :)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #89 on: February 06, 2006, 11:12:31 AM »

Amazon just informed me it has shipped:

"Ryan's Daughter" on DVD

Why oh why do I love this overwrought David Lean film so much?????
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Up