Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: PULLING A FAST ONE  (Read 28594 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
PULLING A FAST ONE
« on: February 06, 2006, 12:15:39 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you know how I tried to pull a fast one, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're pulling a fast one, and it's udder nonsense.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2006, 12:16:51 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:PULLING A FAST ONE
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006, 12:18:10 AM »

And the word of the day is: APRAXIA!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2006, 12:35:40 AM »

BK, in your musical theater workshop, have you considered a section on how to choose an audition song and/or monologue?  

Whenever I've auditioned for a show that I know (or can find out about...I've never auditioned for a completely new show, except for the Stardust shows here in Olympia, but they're all set in the 1940s, so the music is easy to pick and I knew the director/author), I have tried to pick a song that at least sort of fits with the show, if not a specific character that I might go for.  I've been to a few auditions where the show is (well, in one actual instance) set in the 1940s and they used actual 1940s songs but the auditioner sang something like Janis Joplin's "Piece of My Heart."  (I'm not kidding.)

« Last Edit: February 06, 2006, 12:42:37 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ben

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2006, 02:54:47 AM »

At 5:52am there are 8 guests! Who is guesting at 5:52am??? I'm actually up very early because Anthony got up to go get on line to get his VITA tax appointment. Equity, SAG and AFTRA members in NY can get their taxes done for free by VITA volunteers. He goes every year. It's almost like an audition because people get to the building around 6am and wait for the appointment office to open (at 9am). Usually by noon or 1pm all the appointments are gone and then your only choice is to come as a "walk-in" where you're squeezed in if someone misses or cancels their appointment.

I'm going to take a shower now. I'll see you at the office.

Hmm, third post at 5:56. Another slow day?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2006, 03:53:36 AM »

Thanks for the info about the stories, MR BK.  

APRAXIA!  I think I had a 1964 Apraxia convertible!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2006, 03:54:00 AM »

Looking forward to seeing DRJOSE's closing night DAMN YANKEES photos.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2006, 03:54:49 AM »

The Move of DR CILLA LIZ continues....somewhere in Iowa a plumber is getting dressed and has no idea his day will be spoken about on the most popular site on all of the internet!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2006, 03:58:29 AM »

I second DRGEORGE's idea of "how to find an APPROPRIATE audition song."   The whole audition process - what to wear, how to act and respond to questions, be on time-ness - is a great subject for the workshop.

I will also add - it might be nice to see a session on why a song works or doesn't work - and how to "spot" a song in a musical....example why a wonderful song like "The Rain In Spain" works WHERE it is in MY FAIR LADY and why it could NEVER come AFTER a song like I COULD HAVE DANCED ALL NIGHT.  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2006, 04:03:37 AM »

I am SINGLE.  I was in a relationship for about two years with a very nice woman named Anne.  This ended in 1986....twenty years ago.

I just did not like being part of a couple or needing to tell someone else when and/or where I was going to be....or worrying if I was going to be late.

I like being single, of course I miss having a certain someone to do things with - to talk about important things with - and to enjoy life with - but that's just the way it is.  Relationships are very important and very HARD work - I don't imagine that I will ever enjoy the benefits or endure the hardships of one again.

THAT being said, I will probably meet someone tomorrow and elope to Galveston.....  But that, as they say, is a story for another day.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2006, 04:04:52 AM »

I am also very difficult to get along with.

Which reminds me of the joke about the "wanted" ad in Russia:

"Young single farmer looking for single woman with tractor for marriage.  Please send photo of tractor."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2006, 05:01:32 AM »

Pulling a fast one is much easier than pushing a fast one.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2006, 05:10:50 AM »

Good morning, all!  And a special one to you, DR JRand55; you put a smile on my face today, from Luana Anders to tractors.  Thank you.

I'm on the proverbial horns of a dilemma today over whether to call Fed Ex and tell them to return the package they will attempt to deliver tomorrow.  I believe I shall do so, but I also worry about damaging the relationship with the music printing company from whom I buy paper.  On the other side, if they'd responded to my two inquiries on where this shipment was and sent me a tracking number, I might have alerted Fed Ex on Friday to make other pickup arrangements.

i have to write today and hand this piece in this evening.  Oy!

TOD:  I believe we make our beds.  I don't particularly like being single but I didn't particularly love being in a relationship either.  My love life has always been rather disastrous, and I suspect I give off signals that I prefer to be alone to bitch about being single.  Enough said.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jennifer

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2006, 05:49:46 AM »

DR George (or anyone else who watches Grey's Anatomy), last night you mentioned the code black.  They were advertising this big time on the SuperBowl last night and everyone was wondering what the heck it meant.

Can someone who watched last night's show tell me!

Jennifer

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2006, 05:51:55 AM »

DR Jose, unmarked police cars are allowed to pull people over for speeding?  I don't think we have that here.  And I don't like the idea.  Yeah sure there are those idiots who drive like maniacs who deserve to be pulled over.  But I think mostly the cops pull people over for driving just slightly above the speed limit.  And I think it's at least fair to be able to see the car.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2006, 06:57:54 AM »

Always glad to oblige, DRELMORE.

Yes DRJENNIFER - unmarked cars are VERY successful in pulling over speeders and other lawbreakers.  And like DRJOSE, I am always glad to see it happen to someone who is BREAKING THE LAW and making our roads even more dangerous.

What would be nice is if I had my OWN road to everyplace I wanted to go.

FJL

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2006, 06:59:19 AM »

Jennifer - i second your not liking the idea of unmarked cars being able to pull people over.  Besides the reasons you gave, I'd add that there are a lot of crazy people in the world who could get hold of a police badge or siren and pull someone over in the guise of a traffic stop.   I think having people be pulled over by unofficial cars could lead to disaster if someone who wanted to commit a crime got the idea of pulling people over masquerading as cops.  

MBarnum

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2006, 07:11:51 AM »

My last major relationship ended in 1994. I am currently single but still date off and on which works fine for me at this time in my life. I am not on any search for Mr. Right, but if he were to come along, and could stand to watch my crazy movies, then we might make a keen couple!

My life is content as it is but I am always open to positive change.

Ben

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2006, 07:13:22 AM »

Donald is back! Hooray! His show this week is about the Grammy nominated Best Musical CDs. It's great. If you are able to listen, go there now.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2006, 07:14:40 AM »

Good morning!

Cloudy skies this morning and very chilly with highs expected to go no higher than 50 (and probably not that). I would like to take a walk today, but I'll see what the weather is doing later and then decide. Looks iffy.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2006, 07:18:07 AM »

Last night, I recorded off TCM Mae West's first starring movie SHE DONE HIM WRONG (she had been a supporting player in NIGHT AFTER NIGHT even though she stole the movie from George Raft.) I recorded it because I had noticed in Universal's announcement of the upcoming Mae West DVD boxed set, SHE DONE HIM WRONG was not among the titles. I don't know if there are rights issues with it or what, but it wasn't included in the Mae West laserdisc box either back in the 1990s.

I have only seen the film once all the way through, so I'm really looking forward to watching it today.

Matt H.

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2006, 07:25:55 AM »

Oh, boy, relationships. I've been in two long running ones, and each ended (I thought) not due to any wrongdoing on my part. Having been hurt twice with these partnerships, I have been very wary to get involved again with anyone. I have enjoyed having the freedom to make my own choices independent of anyone else's feelings or interests, and I'm afraid I've gotten a bit spoiled about that after so long a time.

I spent a great deal of my childhood alone, so being by myself has never been a problem. I will admit there are times when things look black or problems arise that it would be nice to have someone close to really confide in who really had a vested interest in one's life, more than my wonderful dear friends have. But I've found that those troublesome things tend to sort themselves out and then one is grateful for the solitude and peace that comes with not having anyone else to worry about. So, having a partner is a two-way street for sure with pluses and minuses for me.

Since I am currently dating someone now with a potential interest in its getting serious, who knows what the future will bring? I do know I'll have to consider very, very seriously all the ramifications of losing some of the freedom of choice and privacy that comes with having someone deeply in one's life.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2006, 07:41:43 AM »

Jennifer - i second your not liking the idea of unmarked cars being able to pull people over.  Besides the reasons you gave, I'd add that there are a lot of crazy people in the world who could get hold of a police badge or siren and pull someone over in the guise of a traffic stop.   I think having people be pulled over by unofficial cars could lead to disaster if someone who wanted to commit a crime got the idea of pulling people over masquerading as cops.  

This has happened here.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2006, 07:44:51 AM »

DRS JENNIFER and FJL - while the cars do NOT have the regular markings of the State or Local Police - they do have the official Red/Blue flashing lights and sirens - the lights are in the front grill and back windows and are unable to be seen until they are activated.

Believe me - when you see them, you know they are OFFICIAL POLICE cars and NOT impersonators.  
« Last Edit: February 06, 2006, 07:45:11 AM by JRand55 »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2006, 07:46:20 AM »

And even "slightly above" the speed limit IS against the law.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2006, 08:04:10 AM »

We're hearing from all the singles - how about the couples?  Where ARE the couples?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2006, 08:11:21 AM »

Single people always have to be to work earlier.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2006, 08:12:07 AM »

That should get SOME kind of a response. :)

I am going to watch DOODLEBOPS this morning so that I can understand what this is all about.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2006, 08:13:33 AM »

The contestants on THE PRICE IS RIGHT (even the guys) seem to look okayl under those lights....  Do they use a special lighting system so that the ordinary people look okay even without TV MAKEUP?  Or is TV MAKEUP even used anymore?

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2006, 08:16:02 AM »

We're hearing from all the singles - how about the couples?  Where ARE the couples?

The couples are canoodling

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2006, 08:16:11 AM »

Shortly after we were married, my DH took a job with the postal service, which required him to work nights and weekends. I think most wives with night-shift husbands learn early on to do stuff on their own. Now that he's working days again, I still do stuff on my own and he does stuff on his own. We each have plenty of space to pursue our own interests. That's how we make it work.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Up