Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: DUMBFOUNDED  (Read 26666 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:DUMBFOUNDED
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2006, 07:34:26 AM »

And the word of the day is: CHICANERY!
There was a young vaudeville performer named Chica, who specialized in daredevil stunts.  She was so adept at these tricks that they were named after her.  Thus we get the word Chicanery.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2006, 07:37:09 AM »

Page Two Dumbo tree Dance!!!

If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2006, 07:37:43 AM »

Or if you like Gimlets perhaps you're a Kimlet. Do people still drink Gimlets? What is in a gimlet, anyway?
A gimlet is a cocktail made with vodka or gin, sweetened lime juice, and sometimes effervescent water and garnished with a slice of lime.

(Most of this post is a cut and paste.  Kinda obvious, isn't it?)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2006, 07:42:25 AM »

Der Brucer is watching a tape of his favorite cooking show, Graze Anatomy, and I have mucho catching up to do...

Matt H.

« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2006, 07:57:53 AM »

BK, to answer your question about the studio where SUPERMAN was shot, this was addressed in one of the commentaries on the first season set, but I can't remember the exact answer. I believe one of the historians said the show was shot at the same studio where THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW was eventually shot; some of the same street buildings show up in both shows. I believe they said it was a Culver City movie studio. Anyway, they do reveal that information on the Season 1 disc somewhere.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2006, 07:59:27 AM »

Someone has to say it:

Shayne come back!

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2006, 08:02:05 AM »

I looked up "Arch humor" and found it has nothing to do with Archie comics at all!

We have had a lot of Arch Hall Jr. humor on here though.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2006, 08:02:47 AM »

Question for BK:  In any otherwise perfect or near-perfect movie, stage play or musical, is there any small piece of direction you would have changed?

Well, I've always said that in The Dead Zone, my favorite of the Cronenberg films, there is a scene with Martin Sheen bullying the local newspaper editor that should come out of the film - it would be much better without it.

Same thing in The Boy Who Could Fly, the dream sequence where we do indeed see him fly which, uh, sort of ruins the magic when he actually DOES in real life.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2006, 08:05:13 AM »

That's like when I watched EBB TIDE last week. The only part I would take out is the entirely incoherent plot. Everything else stays!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2006, 08:08:33 AM »

Olympics Huge Guffaw Moment:  During the men's short program, Sandra Bezic, whom I was beginning to revile, totally blew me away with a comment about one of the skater's (a French skater) program:

"His choreography is trite."

LOVED it!  Great comment.  Needs to be said more...especially when it pertains to Ms. Slutskaya's choreography!

Johnny Weir:  I think he's y-o-u-n-g, immensely talented and, finally -- for the first time in his life -- able to "thumb it" back at the folks who have tormented him most of his life.  You folks know what I mean -- the folks who called him "Johnny Queer" and "Weir as in Queer" and so on and so forth.  To have endured all that while applying himself to his skating AND succeeding in spite of it DEMANDS my respect.

Based on some things he's said, I'm certain there are those in the U.S. Figure Skating establishment who have "encouraged" him to butch it up a bit more and to say a lot less.

Well, sorry....but Johnny's not gonna....and I'm truly shocked he finds criticism here, given what he has obviously put up with his entire life.  

It's the young who are making the great sociological strides today...the ones who break down the barriers and challenge the old faux conventions.

Weir strikes me as being a breath of fresh air and a much-needed slap in the face of 1950s values.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2006, 08:11:59 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2006, 08:09:40 AM »

Oh...yes...Good Morning, everyone!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2006, 08:20:13 AM »

Today is National Gumdrop Day.

No specific flavor, all are welcome.

Matt H.

« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2006, 08:21:10 AM »

Got some errands to run, so I need to head down now to shower, shave, and generally clean up.

WBBL.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2006, 08:27:55 AM »

We've got a quorum on the forum.  Now if we only had some questions and answers on the forum or, at the very least, some answers and questions.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2006, 08:43:38 AM »

Good Morning!   On my way into work this morning I heard an advertisement on the radio for Cruise ship personnel.

It made me wonder if anyone here ever had been or considered being employed in the "cruise ship entertainment" field.

I myself have never been on a cruise, nor do I forsee one in my future as the whole idea of being stuck on a ship with no way off bothers me.

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2006, 08:43:47 AM »

Eight people, no posts.  THAT'S inertia!

vixmom

« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2006, 08:44:59 AM »

bk is your musical theater workshop a  "for credit" course?  Do you only have enrolled students in your class or was it open to the public?

vixmom

« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2006, 08:45:32 AM »

Eight people, no posts.  THAT'S inertia!

What am I, chopped liver?

:D

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2006, 08:47:36 AM »

I'm pulling this from IMDB's news section:

Winter Olympics Are Just a "Marketing Plan," Says Gumbel

Bryant Gumbel, who currently hosts a show on HBO called Real Sports, has concluded that the Turin Winter Olympics events are not real sports at all. During the former Today show host's commentary on the HBO program, Gumbel remarked that he never watches them and pointed out that the ancient Greeks never heard of skating or skiing. "So try not to laugh when someone says these are the world's greatest athletes, despite a paucity of blacks that makes the Winter Games look like a GOP convention," Gumbel commented. "And try to blot out all logic when announcers and sports writers pretend to care about the luge, the skeleton, the biathlon and all those other events they don't understand and totally ignore for all but three weeks every four years. Face it, these Olympics are little more than a marketing plan to fill space and sell time during the dreary days of February."

To which I have to reply:

"So, if black people aren't playing the sport, it's not a real sport?  Is that what you're telling us, Mr. Gumbel?  Exactly how many black people were there in Ancient Greece?"

Sheesh.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2006, 08:48:28 AM »

Good Morning!

I, too, have been puttering about this morning.  Just because...  However, I do have to be at the Manhattan Theatre Club by 2:30, so... That will get me out of the apartment for a while...

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2006, 08:49:30 AM »

What am I, chopped liver?

:D
You are pate, dear Vixmom.  You are a terrine of the finest pate.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2006, 08:50:29 AM »

bk is your musical theater workshop a  "for credit" course?  Do you only have enrolled students in your class or was it open to the public?

It's for credit, but they did open the class because I asked them, too.  Hence, we have one alum, and Tammy and her friend Lauren.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2006, 08:51:04 AM »

The minute I said there were eight, there were six.  Like we didn't notice.

MBarnum

« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2006, 08:51:19 AM »

I have not seen nor heard this Johnny Weir person, but if he is indeed pretentious and catty...well...a lot of people have had rough lives and not turned out to be unpleasant...just my humble opinion.

I guess I need to see this guy in action. I have yet to watch any of the olympics.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2006, 08:51:29 AM »

Where's The Seltzer?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2006, 08:51:51 AM »

Where's Shayne?  Has ANYONE heard from this guy?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2006, 08:51:55 AM »

I don't know why DR Michael Shayne has been MIA for a while, however, I have an idea why DR Jason may have trouble posting during the day right now...

http://www.mtishows.com
« Last Edit: February 15, 2006, 10:08:00 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

vixmom

« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2006, 08:52:20 AM »

You are pate, dear Vixmom.  You are a terrine of the finest pate.

:-*

Now that's what I call a Valentine!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2006, 08:57:29 AM »

And, please note, I was no where near the MTI offices yesterday morning, so you can't blame me!

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2006, 09:00:27 AM »

Where's Shayne?  Has ANYONE heard from this guy?

I don't want to tell tales, but I spotted him earlier this morning at this here very site.  Perhaps he is still catching up.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up