Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: A STRING OF PURLS A LA WOOLWORTH  (Read 14189 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:A STRING OF PURLS A LA WOOLWORTH
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2006, 07:32:45 AM »

My session "timed out" - it's Comcastic!

I remember McGavin from RIVERBOAT and a couple of tapes I have of him as TV's Mike Hammer.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2006, 07:33:05 AM »

Off to work.....pretend you see dancing here.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2006, 07:56:55 AM »

I'd add a Disney pic for you but I'm running low on them, too!  :D
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2006, 07:57:52 AM »

Too early to start prepping lunch, but I have some other chores I need to get started on.

WBBL.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

FJL

« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2006, 08:49:53 AM »

Got back from our whirlwind trip to Boca about 1:30 in the morning.

BOCA BAR MITZVAH - that's the title of my next documentary.

Getting there went without a hitch (execpt for the fact that it was a 7:30 flight, which I haven't done in many many years).  The synagogue service was set to start at 11:30, and our plane actually got to Fort Lauderdale early, so we made it to the synagogue with enough time to spare to say hellos before the actually prayers started.  The Bar mitzvah boy was pluperfect in his reading of the Torah and Haftorah and saying the prayers (when I was 13, I only had to read the Haftorah; what this young man did seemed extremely ambitious and his exceution fo it was exemplary.)  At the appropriate time, I said a Refuah Shlemah prayer for Danise, hope Danise felt vibes from Boca around 12:45 yesterday.  

Then it was on to a gorgeous party, chockful of entertainment, including a group doing the Bottle Dance (which frankly looks more difficult than the Lambada - the Forbidden Dance - which I've seen at other Bar Mitzvahs by people who've drunk a little too much).  We were at a lovely table with several people we knew, and I also got to meet the truly lovely, effervescent Jan McArt, who was also at our table.  (What a terrific lady; I've heard that Jan McArt can be a controversial figure in the local theater scene in Boca, but she's an absolute delight!)

MBarnum

« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2006, 08:55:37 AM »

THE RESTLESS YEARS....oh my, yes.  Also featuring Virginia Grey, Jody McCrea, and John Wilder.  Luana Patten does a wild cha cha and tries to force Sandy to give her the lead in OUR TOWN...which Sandra has won even though she wears strange clothes....and then there's the Bandstand!!  Dorothy Green is terrific.

And I LOVE Dorothy Green's first line in the movie...as she stumbles into the house dragging her fur and passes James Whitmore..."Who the HELL are you"...as she walks up the stairs.

MBarnum

« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2006, 09:00:42 AM »

Don Knott's always amazes me whenever i come across an episode of THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW...he was just so funny...it has been decades since I have seen any of his 1960s films...I should add some to my Netflix queue.

Darrin McGavin, as DR JRand55, was so good as Mike Hammer...and pretty much anything else he did.

FJL

« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2006, 09:05:24 AM »

Since we were flying back that night, we hadn't planned on going to the evening party, which was the "South Beach chic" attired party I talked about a few weeks ago.  So we didn't really have a change of clothing for that party, but the bar mitzvah boy's Mom and other family and friends heard our evening flight back was delayed a bit, so insisted that we at least come for 45 minutes or so of that party, which was held in the amphitheater at Mizner Park, or more accurately ON the stage at the amphitheater.  "South Beach chic" seemed to have been a term which confused a lot of people - not everyone had Jose to explain it to them :)  - so most people just came dressed casual but nice, and we just made do with what we were wearing for the 45 minutes or so we were there.  It was a lovely do, though,a nd it was a lot of fun to see the set-up for it.

The airline situation back was an odd one.  They had overestimated the length of the flight to begin with, so even though the plane was leaving over an hour late, they kept assuring everyone that we would be getting in to Newark only about twenty minutes "late" according to the original arrival time on our reservations.  Which begged the question, why estimate a flight duration of over 3 hours if it only takes 2-1/2 hours?  But it allowed people to feel less disappointed overall, since even though the flight left over an hour late, what we got was a flight which we were told would land at 12:40 but ended up landing at 1 a.m. - so maybe by overestimating flight diurations, they end up allowing a cushion which results in less disappointment for customers.

FJL

« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2006, 09:08:34 AM »

I'm astonished in reading over yesterday's posts how many of the songs that I heard on the airline's in-flight listening system were mentioned in yesterday's posts here.  Fun coincidence.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2006, 09:14:10 AM »

McGavin also played Murphy Brown's father, Bill.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2006, 09:18:22 AM »

I've got to do something about der Brucer's hobby, feeding the birds.  The side yard looks like something out of Hitchcock.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2006, 09:19:22 AM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2006, 09:45:30 AM »

I'm up, I'm up, after almost getting eight hours of sleep.  Hoo and ray.  Now to get my bearings.  They've gone missing but they're around here somewhere.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2006, 10:09:00 AM »

I've got to do something about der Brucer's hobby, feeding the birds.  The side yard looks like something out of Hitchcock.

I feed the birds, too, which distresses my moronic neighbor across the hall to no end.  The other day he came out and snarled "feeding the critters again?" and I answered, "the only critter I see is you."  Hate him.

Give Der Brucer my regards, please!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2006, 10:26:09 AM »

I certainly will, DR Elmore!

Uh... you aren't feeding the birds in the hall, are you?

::)  ;D  ;)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2006, 10:29:59 AM »

I have a couple of questions for DR C Pogue:

What do you think of this year's nominees for best screenplay (original and adapted)?

And what films do you wish could have been included in the two catagories, but weren't?

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2006, 10:30:32 AM »

Darren McGavin really first became known to me through A CHRISTMAS STORY, and then the DELICATE DELINQUENT.

His CHRISTMAS STORY performance is one of such warmth and perfection, and I'm glad that through it, lots of younger folks will forever get to see his work.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2006, 10:33:35 AM »

And a question der Brucer had for our esteemed BK:

Der B noticed one of the cable nets was showing The Faculty.  Do you get residuals from every showing the film gets?  Or is there some formula in the contracts that caps off the residuals?

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2006, 11:13:08 AM »

Rest In Peace, dear Don Knotts!
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2006, 11:20:07 AM »

Two auditions yesterday - one quite by accident. The other WAS an accident!

Hadn't slept well, first time at the new loft... had a call from the ex to tell me that nobody showed up for the ZORBA audition in No. Hwd... get down here. Okay, so dress and blast outa here to get there by 2, hopin' I get on and outa there in time to head down to San Diego for the NO WAY TO TREAT A LADY thing I've been working on for two weeks...

There were only 4 people there at the Zorba thing - I sang, they said "Thanks" and I got on the I-5 to San Diego. Arrived WAY early, so had a little coffee and a bagel. Then - the pianist was half an hour late, so I cooled my heels. Finally they asked for the monologue while I waited. Gave 'em one of the Mom speeches from JEWISH THIGHS. They laughed! God, I love it when that happens.

Then cooled my heels again. Finally, pianist showed up, and I came in and sang the Old Lady's Tango from CANDIDE. Director asked me to do it again, as a little yenta from Brooklyn. Hey, I can do that. They laughed. I love it when that happens.

Apparently they had already cast the two 'regular" roles - and were only reading people for the Jewish Mother and the Serial Killer. Four of each. Grueling? yup. Three hours into it, I had lost most of my talent and ALL of my charisma. Good lesson - remember to stay talented and charismatic, no matter HOW long the audition is. Oy.

But, I tell yiz, I sure did sleep last night! Write if you get work...
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2006, 11:24:45 AM »

Hey, if Bruce goes on the the role the soon to be unemployed Actor vacates, wanna go see it? I'd love to see him in that role - the new haircut and the weight loss will make him WAY too gawjus for that particular character, but hey...
PennyO

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2006, 12:21:10 PM »

Requesting vibes for:  my mother-in-law, age 89, who's back in the hospital.  We'll check on her before we take off for Cincinnati.

~~~Vibes for DR Ginny's Mother-In-Law!!~~~
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Cillaliz

« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2006, 12:31:05 PM »

Vibes to all who need them.....

I loved Don Knotts. He always made me laugh. In addition to Barney Fife, I loved some of his movies. I have seen THE GHOST AND MR. CHICKEN many many times and it still cracks me up.  

Cillaliz

« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2006, 12:32:39 PM »

Gotta run... I have to go shopping for some stuff for the house.  What fun....towel bars and toilet paper holders...my life is so exciting
« Last Edit: February 26, 2006, 12:33:07 PM by Cillaliz »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2006, 12:42:41 PM »

Good Afternoon!

A nice, lazy, relaxing day so far.  Reading the Times, and through the wonders of the DVR, I've been catching up on the early rounds of "American Idol" - I missed all the "local" rounds...  YIKES!

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2006, 12:44:38 PM »

DR FJL - Welcome back from your whirlwind trip to and from Boca!

So...  Did you happen to inquire from anyone in the know down there what their notion of "South Beach Chic" was?

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2006, 12:46:14 PM »

...And I've also wondered about the over-estimated flight times too.  However, I've been on more than my share of flights that have left at the scheduled time and landed at the scheduled time.  Must be those headwinds.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2006, 12:47:16 PM »

BK - LOVE the hair!  I think you should take that into Teddy the next time you go in for a cut.  "I want it exactly like this."

-Then take a pic of Teddy's reaction.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2006, 12:49:03 PM »

DR PennyO - So... Were they casting multiple actresses in the one track?

-But at least you got a good night's sleep.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2006, 12:55:30 PM »

And, once again, a very big Thank You to DR elmore for being such a gracious and generous host last night.

-The fire escape wasn't that bad.  ;D
Make Your Own Luck.

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2006, 01:18:36 PM »

Hiya, Jose!! Hey, just this time last year, you were rehearsing with me, for your big Noo Yawk day-byoo! What a difference a year makes, no?
PennyO
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up