Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: PERFECTLY PERFECT MARCH  (Read 30778 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:PERFECTLY PERFECT MARCH
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2006, 08:06:53 AM »

When I saw Jack Wild three or four years ago at the Ray Courts show (which would have made him 49 then), we were all shocked - he looked 70.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2006, 08:06:53 AM »

Last night we watched TRANSPORTER 2.  Keith kept saying “suspending disbelief”.

Was he reacting to DR George's comment about "Medium" or did he use it as a mantra to get through "Transporter 2"?

;)
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2006, 08:07:44 AM »

When I saw Jack Wild three or four years ago at the Ray Courts show (which would have made him 49 then), we were all shocked - he looked 70.

"...well that's what comes from too much pills and liquor..."
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2006, 08:07:47 AM »

I am behind on my posting!  It's time to celebrate March!

March is very much about health.  March is, after all,

American Red Cross Month
Mental Retardation Awareness Month
National Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Month
National Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month
National Eye Donor Month
Save Your Vision Month
Workplace Eye Health and Safety Month
(methinks there's some overlap here)

National Multiple Sclerosis Education and Awareness Month
National Kidney Month
National Talk-to-Your-Teen-about-Sex Month
Poison Prevention Month
and
Vulvar Health Awareness Month
« Last Edit: March 02, 2006, 08:08:53 AM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2006, 08:11:06 AM »

Good morning!

ANother gorgeous day, and it's already in the 70s heading toward 80 today.

But that's supposedly it for awhile. Back into the 50s for highs the next few days. I saw my neighbor in shorts and a tee shirt while I was getting dressed. It's still cool inside my house so I opted for jeans and a long sleeved shirt.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2006, 08:12:25 AM »

Enjoyed that wedding picture yesterday, DR Jane. Just like that SHENANDOAH picture I posted a couple of weeks ago, it's impossible for me to think we were ever so young.

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2006, 08:14:25 AM »

When I read the topic of the day, the first duet that poppped into my mind was "You're Just in Love" from CALL ME MADAM.

But there are so many thousands of others that I adore.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2006, 08:14:57 AM »

March is also:

Honor Society Month
Humorists are Artists Month
International Ideas Month
International Mirth Month
National Craft Month
Irish-American Heritage Month
National Athletic Training Month
Youth Art Month
Small Press Month
National Women's History Month
and
National Umbrella Month.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2006, 08:15:57 AM »

I really had planned to record the IDOL results show tonight so I could speed past all the filler and just get to the eliminations. But, SMALLVILLE is a rerun, DEAL OR NO DEAL plays again tonight instead of WILL & GRACE/FOUR KINGS and I'm not into SURVIVOR, so I guess I will watch it live and just do other things during most of the show.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2006, 08:17:06 AM »

And, for the foodies amongst us (and we know who we are), March is:

National Caffeine Awareness Month
National Flour Month
National Frozen Food Month
National Noodle Month
National Peanut Month
National Nutrition Month
and
National Sauce Month.

Matt H.

« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2006, 08:18:15 AM »

Yesterday, I got the soundtrack CD of THE PIRATE and have been enjoying it yesterday and this morning.

I find it amazing that for many years, what MGM passed off as the soundtrack for THE PIRATE was made up of other takes of songs (particularly "Love of My Life" along with a very abbreviated version of "Mack the Black") rather than the versions actually used in the movie. Wonder why they did this?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2006, 08:19:36 AM »

And, more immediately, today is World Book Day.

(I'm pretty sure this has to reading and celebrating them, and not making.)

Matt H.

« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2006, 08:21:32 AM »

Well, the various film versions of TEN LITTLE INDIANS/AND THEN THERE WERE NONE aren't as good as her novel because they're all based on Christie's play version, not on the original novel.

It's funny that of the four filmed versions of the play, each one got successively worse. The final one with Frank Stallone is practically unwatchable and makes no sense.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2006, 08:27:28 AM »

Enjoyed that wedding picture yesterday, DR Jane. Just like that SHENANDOAH picture I posted a couple of weeks ago, it's impossible for me to think we were ever so young.
Speaking of Shenandoah, a new production of the musical will be playing at the Ford's Theatre in DC, from March 17th to April 30th.  The lead role of Charlie Anderson is being played by Scott Bakula, according to the ad der B and I saw in the Washington Post.  We're hoping to head down to see it, probably on a weeknight.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2006, 08:28:41 AM »

Jose, great bridesmaid story!

I REALLY made an effort to find nice dresses.  If I had known a dressmaker at the time I would have had more options, alas I was young and ignorant.  As Penny mentioned, my mother, knowing my friends didn’t have much money offered to gift the dresses.  She was a very thoughtful and generous in many ways.  Thank goodness cause after Penny & Marsha complained profusely, and still do, about the dress I didn’t feel so bad since it was a freeby. ;D

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2006, 08:33:05 AM »

Continued MEDIUM Spoiler:

Why do you believe the kid ever had a key?  At the opening of the show, two employees were standing outside waiting for the manager to let them in.  Obviously no key.  BTW, the manager called the doctor/mother because the kid continued to hang around after she had fired him.  

End of round four. See what happens when I actually watch a show with the rest of you!  Shall I return to watching days later? ;D

Jennifer

« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2006, 08:33:51 AM »

Very interesting discussion about monday's MEDICUM

Now, given something that DR Jennifer has added, I'll conjecture (also given your comment about the kid being fired):

We heard quite a bit of stuff.  First, I am under the impression that the boy and the employer (his birth mother) were in some sort of relationship...whether it was ever consummated wasn't alluded to, but I took it that he was infatuated with the boss lady and she had to fire him.  Then, as Jennifer pointed out, the doctor followed her son to the workplace and grabbed her son (from the evil clutches of the "other woman"?????), and recognized the boss as her son's mother.  And the boss, as the overly (and suspiciously) hysterical doctor drove away, suddenly realized the truth...and ran after them shouting, "He's mine!  He's mine!"

I don't know if we are supposed to assume that the boy and the birth mother were having an affair.  In the beginning I thought that might be the case.  But I think we are just supposed to assume that they had a connection (and didn't understand what it was, but it was because they were mother and son).

I don't think the birth mother had any idea of this fact until she recognized the doctor the night before her death.

I don't have a problem with a locked door because the kid had to have a key.  The boss was in the workplace when she was killed and would not have had the alarm activated.

The idea that the birth mother was too "out of it" to remember the doctor is based on the doctor's story...and she was justifying her actions at the time she kidnapped the baby...which means she probably overstated the truth to a considerable degree.  The birth mother was not able to defend herself.  So...

I agree about both of these points.

Re: The vet and those tests (if any).  I haven't known a vet who could see an animal and run tests conclusive of anything in one day.  I'm not saying they don't exist...my doctor can do some basic blood tests in one day.  But, my vet always sent Miss Vickie's blood out....it was always "next day" at earliest.

Still, I know nothing about veterinary practices...perhaps just a superficial examination was all the doctor needed to learn the things he told the father????

I really don't think the vet giving him the info is such a big deal.  99% of viewers will not have the expertise that DR Jane has, and whether it took a few hours or a few days, all that really mattered was that the dog was sick.

I think the thing about shows like MEDIUM is that the writers don't tell us every little thing. They make us think and this is good.

I still really liked this episode but still don't fully understand what it had to do with alison's dead son. I guess her instincts were to protect this boy because he was good.  I also wonder why she dreamed her son was the boy jesse. Had she seen him before at the coffee place. Weird.

Matt H.

« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2006, 08:34:21 AM »

Scott Bakula should make a fine Charlie. Do you know who's doing the choreography? That show was probably harder on my body than any other dancing show I ever did. The two numbers the brothers have ("Next to Lovin'" and "It's a Boy") were done a la the barn raisin' in SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS. I remember having to do a leap off of a wishing well (wearing boots) while executing a Russian split, and it was murder on my knees.

Jennifer

« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2006, 08:36:27 AM »

Continued MEDIUM Spoiler:

Why do you believe the kid ever had a key?  At the opening of the show, two employees were standing outside waiting for the manager to let them in.  Obviously no key.  BTW, the manager called the doctor/mother because the kid continued to hang around after she had fired him.  

End of round four. See what happens when I actually watch a show with the rest of you!  Shall I return to watching days later? ;D

Why would the kid have to have a key?  The manager was at the store, she could have easily let the doctor/mother in. And the doctor/mother could have simply locked the door on her way out.

Jennifer

« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2006, 08:37:36 AM »

I will definitely watch SURVIVOR over the IDOL results show.   Last week was an exception because I had 3 little girls who wanted to watch that.  But I can't imagine anyone who watches both tuning into IDOL. Although I guess it depends which show you prefer.  I will tune in at the end though to see who goes.

Matt H.

« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2006, 08:43:33 AM »

Did you see that THE AMAZING RACE got off to a slow start in the ratings the other night? It finished third in the time slot at 10, not a good sign when that's to be its new home.

(Usually in two hour episodes of these types of shows, the show builds in ratings over the course of two hours. RACE lost viewers in each half hour of its two hour show.)

I wouldn't be surprised for CBS to reverse its decision in a couple of weeks after THE UNIT premieres at 9 and flip-flop the two shows.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2006, 08:43:45 AM »

I shall now be on my way to LACC, after which I shall return.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2006, 08:45:40 AM »

Hmm...  The repairman is still puttering away...  -I think the light rain we've been having this morning has slowed down his work.  Electricity and water is never a good mix.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2006, 08:48:26 AM »

Scott Bakula should make a fine Charlie. Do you know who's doing the choreography? That show was probably harder on my body than any other dancing show I ever did. The two numbers the brothers have ("Next to Lovin'" and "It's a Boy") were done a la the barn raisin' in SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS. I remember having to do a leap off of a wishing well (wearing boots) while executing a Russian split, and it was murder on my knees.

Jeff Calhoun is the Director/Choreographer - with an assist, the last time I checked, from Noah Racey.  It's basically being mounted by the same crew responsible for the Theatre DeafWest production of Big River that was in residence at Ford's last spring.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2006, 08:49:33 AM »

Did you see that THE AMAZING RACE got off to a slow start in the ratings the other night? It finished third in the time slot at 10, not a good sign when that's to be its new home.

(Usually in two hour episodes of these types of shows, the show builds in ratings over the course of two hours. RACE lost viewers in each half hour of its two hour show.)

I wouldn't be surprised for CBS to reverse its decision in a couple of weeks after THE UNIT premieres at 9 and flip-flop the two shows.

I really really hope this is the case.  TAR is not a show that should be on at 10pm. I think it's a huge mistake.

Btw, can you tell me how many millions watched first hour and second hour?

It was just too late. I'm sure many people had to record the second half.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2006, 08:52:47 AM »

Time to get ready for work.

We won't be going to Philly tonight, as previously planned.  Between today's weather conditions and der B already knowing the area fairly well, we should get by on Saturday.

But der B has been drafted to ladsit on Friday, while I'll be working.  Their mother pulled one of those "they want you to be there for them" cons, very purposely taking advantage of der Grampa with an unhealthy smidgen of guilt thrown in.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2006, 08:54:34 AM »

Morning!

I'm off to my first day (sort of) at my new job as the Assistant to the Casting Directors of Dave Clemmons Casting!!

:D

Knock 'em dead Dr Joy!!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2006, 08:56:12 AM »

Well, the various film versions of TEN LITTLE INDIANS/AND THEN THERE WERE NONE aren't as good as her novel because they're all based on Christie's play version, not on the original novel.

It's funny that of the four filmed versions of the play, each one got successively worse. The final one with Frank Stallone is practically unwatchable and makes no sense.

I do recall the BBC version which was not too bad but you are right the film versions leave a lot to be desired.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2006, 08:56:17 AM »

Jose, great bridesmaid story!

I REALLY made an effort to find nice dresses.  If I had known a dressmaker at the time I would have had more options, alas I was young and ignorant.  As Penny mentioned, my mother, knowing my friends didn’t have much money offered to gift the dresses.  She was a very thoughtful and generous in many ways.  Thank goodness cause after Penny & Marsha complained profusely, and still do, about the dress I didn’t feel so bad since it was a freeby. ;D

Lately, I've noticed a new and cool way to deal with bridesmaid dresses...  The bride picks out the fabric and color for the dresses, but leaves it up to her bridesmaid to pick the pattern/design.  She sends out a couple of yards of the fabric to each of her bridesmaids.  And if the bride is being particularly generous, then she let's the dressmakers for her bridesmaid invoice her for the cost of making the dress.

My friend, Tracy, has had two friends get married over the past year... And she's managed to get two very nice dresses in the process... And she can wear them to places other than weddings.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2006, 09:03:38 AM »

I think a major problem with the initial TAR episode was that the helicoptor/motorcycle task took much, much too long.  It easily took up 45 minutes of the final hour.  I know I was getting bored with it.

And DR Jen is right--TAR needs to be on at 9:00.  It's a good show for families to watch together and 10:00 is too late.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13   Go Up