Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 41   Go Down

Author Topic: AND THE WINNER IS...  (Read 50516 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:AND THE WINNER IS...
« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2006, 08:35:25 AM »

Rodzinski and I usually make a bet with eachother where we pick our winners for the major categories (who we think will will, not who we think deserves to win- not always the same).   The person who gets the most right wins, and the loser buys the winner the CD of their choice.  It's nice to be able to add a new CD to my collection at this time every year. :)

That sounds like fun.

I have a contest with myself. I give myself two choices in the top categories and award myself three points if I get it with the first choice and 2 points if I get it with the second choice.

A perfect score is 21. Two years ago (the LORD OF THE RINGS: RETURN OF THE KING year), I scored all 21 points for a perfect score. Last year, I got everything on the first choice except Best Song which I missed entirely. Thus, last year my score was 18.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2006, 08:42:50 AM »

Page Three Oscar Dance!

This is Howard Koch accepting his Oscar for co-writi

ng CASABLANCA. The Oscar he's hold ing unique for two reasons.

1. It's the old design with a smaller base than they have now. The design was changed in 1946.

2. During the war years, Oscars were made of plaster which were spray painted. After the war the plaster Oscars were exchanged for gold plated ones.

Matt H.

« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2006, 08:59:06 AM »

Heading down now to prep lunch and watch something interesting on video.

WBBL.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: March 05, 2006, 09:18:13 AM »

While I normally hate the Oscarcast these days, the chance to watch and then attend the haineshisway.com Oscar Bash is too much fun, priceless, and it's made the whole sorry thing a true event and the Oscars should THANK us.  Damn them, damn them all to hell.

MBarnum

« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2006, 09:40:51 AM »

Yes, having the HainesHisWay Oscar party does make it all that much more fun!

MBarnum

« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2006, 09:41:45 AM »

...but I hardly think we will get t o1000 posts seeing as how I am the only one in the jernt!

But perhaps everyone is busy girding their loins for the Oscar telecast.

MBarnum

« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2006, 09:42:22 AM »

Hmmm...still the only one here...maybe this is not the place to be on Oscar day...I just don't know.

FJL

« Reply #67 on: March 05, 2006, 09:49:03 AM »

Off to New Jersey now to visit Dear Friend Leslie.  I hope to be back in time for the Oscars, but considering I haven't seen many (any?) of this year's nominees, I may not have much to contribute to the HHW Oscra bash.

FJL

« Reply #68 on: March 05, 2006, 09:49:55 AM »

Did I just write Oscra instead of Oscar.

As in Uma, Oscra.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: March 05, 2006, 09:56:54 AM »

You don't have to have seen any of the films to contribute to the Oscar Bash - that's the fun of the Oscar Bash.  

Last year's Oscar pre-show here at haineshisway.com started off very slowly - but as soon as the official pre-show started, the jernt was jumpin' like it's never jumped before.  Now, all these excuse-making hainsies/kimlets better knock it off and be here or there will be a bitch-slapping from here to eternity and hell and back.

Matt H.

« Reply #70 on: March 05, 2006, 09:58:26 AM »

I'm here, but I'm just checking to make sure everything is in readiness for tonight.

Ready!  :D

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #71 on: March 05, 2006, 10:00:29 AM »

Check out MBarnum trying to goad us into more posts!

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #72 on: March 05, 2006, 10:03:34 AM »

It is with some trepidation that I look forward to the Robert Altman segment tonight. I never feel these types of clip retrospectives do any justice to a career. But I hope they don't just focus on M*A*S*H and NASHVILLE and GOSFORD PARK, but dig into some of the other crazy stuff that guy did. I want clips from BUFFALO BILL AND THE INDIANS, BREWSTER McCLOUD, IMAGES, QUINTET, THAT COLD DAY IN THE PARK...

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #73 on: March 05, 2006, 10:09:13 AM »

He is the master of smelling-a-fart school of acting:  whenever you forget a line, and he does often from the few I've caught, look as if you've smelled something really bad till you remember it.

LOL DR Elmore.... He also has the eyebrow thing going too...
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #74 on: March 05, 2006, 10:22:42 AM »

I have to work at 330 but I will check in and still take part in the merriment from time to time...
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Ben

« Reply #75 on: March 05, 2006, 11:00:59 AM »

Larry, I remember you mentioning the problems with CE in Chicago. I actually was thinking about that as I was watching the show. It's quite wonderful and exciting but I understand your reasons for not seeing it (or her).

As Michael Shayne said earlier, I am so over the Oscars. I will post here about some of the shenanigans and a friend in Ann Arbor always has a party and she sends out ballots. I partake because it's my dear friend Alison but that's it. Althought it seems like this year there is actually a better crop of films, (I know I've said this before but it still holds true for me) but I think that so much of what comes out of Hollywood is just garbage (IMHO) and I can't sit through the trailers let alone an entire film. I would rather spend $30 for a seat in a theatre than spend $10.50 to suffer through crappy commercials, bad trailers and a mediocre to perhaps decent film. Seeing Grey Gardens last night only reaffirmed my feelings.

The only films I have seen this year that are nominated are Harry Potter, Brokeback Mountain and March of the Penguins. Anthony saw those and Mrs. Henderson Presents. I do admit there are some films I want to see like Good Night and Good Luck, Capote, Enron, The Smartest Guys in the Room, but there isn't much else I feel drawn to see. And I can see them in the comfort of my living room when they arrive on DVD.

That's it. Rant over. I will not rain on the happy parade of HHW on Oscar Day, except to say I think Joan Rivers is a sad caricature of her old, used-to-be talented self.

Later! And I really am a happy person, not the curmudgeon that may seem to come from the post above ;D

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #76 on: March 05, 2006, 11:26:41 AM »

Also Billy Crystal calling out "We love you" to Bill Murray, reinforcing the idea that a person's life is incomplete without an Oscar.

Gosh I interpreted that as….you should have won. ;D
« Last Edit: March 05, 2006, 11:28:11 AM by Jane »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: March 05, 2006, 11:27:44 AM »

I shall now be on my way to see Sweeney Todd, after which I shall return to our Oscar Bash - post away.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #78 on: March 05, 2006, 11:40:19 AM »

A special Oscar moment, watching Roberto Benigni as his name was announced for best actor.  ;D In fact he won so many, well deserved, awards his joy was overflowing. :D

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #79 on: March 05, 2006, 11:48:53 AM »

A special Oscar moment, watching Roberto Benigni as his name was announced for best actor.  ;D In fact he won so many, well deserved, awards his joy was overflowing. :D

I agree. He always seemed overflowing with joy...

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #80 on: March 05, 2006, 11:51:32 AM »

WORST OSCAR MOMENTS:

A very sad looking Deborah Kerr coming out onstage after a showing of a LOT of clips of her looking young and beautiful.  :'(

ANY moment with Dustin Hoffman.  :P

The "coincidence" of Luise Rainer making an appearance at the ceremony the year that FRANCES was nominated in several categories, the movie which portrayed her ex-husband's affair with Frances and put her in unflattering light.  ::)

Two great musical moments;
Ann-Margret dancing to BACHELOR IN PARADISE   :o
And Isaac Hayes' performance of SHAFT the year it was nominated.  8)

SHAFT was not only nominated, but it won, for Best Song.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #81 on: March 05, 2006, 12:34:19 PM »

One of my favorite Oscar moments was when Anna Paquin won as Supporting Actress for THE PIANO.  She became all little girly and started crying and sobbing.  It was a rare sweet and sincere moment on the show.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #82 on: March 05, 2006, 12:37:42 PM »

One of my favorite Oscar moments was when Anna Paquin won as Supporting Actress for THE PIANO.  She became all little girly and started crying and sobbing.  It was a rare sweet and sincere moment on the show.

I forgot all about that... Yes, that was a sweet moment..

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: March 05, 2006, 12:52:34 PM »

I just remembered Bette Middler's reading nominations for some category and one of them was "from that endless movie, ENDLESS LOVE."
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

« Reply #84 on: March 05, 2006, 01:22:07 PM »

My favorite speeches have usually been from surprise winners who haven't prepared anything and thus speak from their hearts.

Matt H.

« Reply #85 on: March 05, 2006, 01:26:18 PM »

I watched two entertainment items this afternoon, both of which I've watched many times before.

First up was DESK SET. Since I've seen the movie so much (and that DVD transfer is stunning; one of the best ones they've ever done, I think), I turned on the commentary track and there was Dina Merrill running on and on about her career with only a few anecdotes about DESK SET specfically. She mentioned liking Spencer Tracy, Hepburn, Joan Blondell, and Sue Randall so much and told a few stories. She liked Walter Lang, the director, but many of her stories had to do with other films she's done, other directors she's worked for, and other stars she knows and sees often. She's a lovely lady, but her commentary really didn't amount to much.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #86 on: March 05, 2006, 01:29:47 PM »

Favorite Oscar moment (and I have said it before):  When Patricia Neal's name was announced and the curtain opened with her on stage, after nearly dying from those destructive strokes.  The tears, love, and emotions; and the seemingly endless standing ovation were one of the true genuinely emotional highpoints in Oscar's history.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Matt H.

« Reply #87 on: March 05, 2006, 01:30:11 PM »

Next up was my favorite Joan Hickson/Miss Marple entry, NEMESIS. I don't know exactly why it's my favorite. Miss Marple plays a more important part in it than in some others. NEMESIS was the first Agatha Christie mystery I ever read having bought it from a book store on Fifth Avenue the summer of its release when I was visiting NYC (or it might have been the summer after its release the previous year; hard to remember exactly). Didn't quite get to the end, but I'll probably finish it when I go back downstairs before I flip over to the Oscar arrival shows.

Matt H.

« Reply #88 on: March 05, 2006, 01:34:02 PM »

Other unique Altman achievements: HEALTH, A WEDDING (whcih I really loved), SHORT CUTS, THREE WOMEN.

Matt H.

« Reply #89 on: March 05, 2006, 01:34:55 PM »

Oh, I'm sure they'll show scenes from McCABE AND MRS. MILLER and THE PLAYER since they were two of his biggest hits.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 41   Go Up