Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 41   Go Down

Author Topic: AND THE WINNER IS...  (Read 50514 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
AND THE WINNER IS...
« on: March 05, 2006, 12:05:31 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you are now dressing for our annual Oscar Bash, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they'll be watching the Oscars, too, and will have plenty to say about the gowns.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2006, 12:09:32 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:AND THE WINNER IS...
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2006, 12:06:07 AM »

And the word of the day is: PANDOWDY!

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2006, 12:09:59 AM »

Oscar Day Postin'! Let it begin!!!

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2006, 12:12:37 AM »

A low moment, I don't remember what year it was, but some young ingenues who had good agents were paraded onstage as "Oscar Winners of the Future." I wonder if any of them even amounted to anything.

Also Billy Crystal calling out "We love you" to Bill Murray, reinforcing the idea that a person's life is incomplete without an Oscar.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2006, 12:13:26 AM »

Let the Par-tay begin!!

DR Rod, I met my freind Cassie through Big Blue Marble.You could write in for a Pen friend and they asked what country and I said Ireland. Cassie adn I have been writing and now IMing back and forth since.... Her hubby will no longer let us talk on the phone despite her now living in the US>.... We had a very long, long distance conversation that lasted four hours....
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2006, 12:14:42 AM »

one of hte wildest moments was when they had a Streaker run across the stage.. .I remember hearing about that and it was in the early 70s.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2006, 12:16:52 AM »

I agree on DAYS, DakotaCelt. The person who bothers me to no end though is Roman or John or whatever his name is. Drake Hogestyn. One of the most annoying actors known to mankind. I haven't watched the show in ages, but I can't even see that guy in a commercial.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2006, 12:19:00 AM »

That's awesome Dakota. When I found that LP, I called one of my sisters and played her the theme over the phone. She had two pen pals she met through that show. One in France and one in Iraq! Another of my sisters had a pen pal in Thailand and they stayed in touch for years.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2006, 12:19:28 AM »

I agree on DAYS, DakotaCelt. The person who bothers me to no end though is Roman or John or whatever his name is. Drake Hogestyn. One of the most annoying actors known to mankind. I haven't watched the show in ages, but I can't even see that guy in a commercial.

I am not a DRake fan... He exists...

I really Like Matt Ashford, Melissa Reeves and many of the actors taht Days had in the past like Charles Shaughnessy, Stephen Nichols, and Mary Beth Evans...

Sadly, I feel sorry for many of the veteran actors for the show was once relatively well written. The present writer is an abomination to the craft and to all writers in general.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2006, 12:24:15 AM »

That's awesome Dakota. When I found that LP, I called one of my sisters and played her the theme over the phone. She had two pen pals she met through that show. One in France and one in Iraq! Another of my sisters had a pen pal in Thailand and they stayed in touch for years.

Thanks for posting that album cover... I have nicked it to send my friend Cassie, if that is okay. My friend Cassie grew up in Belfast and Dublin.. She has told me of the violence in Belfast in the 70s and early 80s.

She also introduced me to Irish music

bTW, Oscar Trivia here

Which Irish Traditional group won an oscar?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2006, 12:24:41 AM »

I bought some LPs last night - a sealed stereo copy of the cast album of A Time For Singing - still unreleased on CD.  A rare Stanley Myers soundtrack from his golden period.  Two EPs of songs from the London production of South Pacific, which starred Mary Martin along with a bunch of Brits.  Don't know if these recordings have ever been released on CD or even in the US.  And a spoken word recording of James Thurber's The Wonderful O, with incidental music by my old friend Ray Henderson, with narration by Burgess Meredith and a cast that includes Ken Berry.  And a later pressing, sealed and stereo, of A Thurber Carnival - I have the original pressing but when I went to transfer it to CD it was very scratchy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2006, 12:25:12 AM »

Perhaps today I'll play my "Marcy Sings" LP.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2006, 12:25:49 AM »

Does the "pen pal" concept even exist anymore? Not like it did then. Big Blue Marble harkens back to a time when world unity seemed like an actual possibility. At least there was a certain amount of optimism displayed in getting kids excited about learning other cultures.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2006, 12:27:40 AM »

I recall the Thurber Carnival as being a part of the Kritzerland saga, if memory serves.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2006, 12:28:29 AM »

Sweet Marcy.

Sweet, creepy Li'l Marcy!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2006, 12:28:47 AM »

Does the "pen pal" concept even exist anymore? Not like it did then. Big Blue Marble harkens back to a time when world unity seemed like an actual possibility. At least there was a certain amount of optimism displayed in getting kids excited about learning other cultures.

Sadly no... There was a certain mystery and joy in writing with someone from another country. IN a way the net has demystified that. Then again have we learned anything from that experience... Soem have, but other refuse to learn that lesson and experience the curiousity of learning a new culture, language and even music.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2006, 12:30:58 AM »

I thought of you the other day, BK in searching through a 99-cent box of LPs, there was one labelled a "Test Pressing" of some Broadway show on Varese. Or it might have been a movie soundtrack. Of course the name escapes me now. It was a show/movie I had not heard of. I wondered if you had any involvement and so forth, but what in blue blazes good is it to wonder now if I can't remember the name of the thing?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2006, 12:34:49 AM by Rodzinski »

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2006, 12:31:04 AM »

I recall the Thurber Carnival as being a part of the Kritzerland saga, if memory serves.

I am getting very intrigued about these books and I will have to add them to my summer reading list. I hope they are available yet up here.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2006, 12:38:10 AM »

Yes, on the flipside, I can now have instant communication with someone who lives in North Dakota, talk pop music with a dude in Australia, etc.

Still, there's nothing like getting a letter.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2006, 12:40:15 AM »

It is nigh 4am here, and I'd best be off to sleep that I may remain alert during the Oscar telecast. Peace.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2006, 12:41:58 AM »

Yes, on the flipside, I can now have instant communication with someone who lives in North Dakota, talk pop music with a dude in Australia, etc.

Still, there's nothing like getting a letter.

I agree... There isnt...

The feel of the paper and the excitement of opening an envelope from a faraway place... the stamps... the handwriting, etc...

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2006, 12:45:58 AM »

Hmmm.... The record is 915

We are sitting at 21 posts.... Less than 900 to attain last years record... but wouldn't it be cool if we hit 1000 posts....

Nighters everyone!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2006, 12:59:11 AM »

Yes, A Thurber Carnival looms large in Kritzer Time - it was one of the shows that hugely influenced me.  "I'd like you to meet Miss Gorce - Miss Gorce is in the embalming game."  "Well, if I dialed the wrong number, why did you answer the phone?"  "I said, 'Why don't you wait here and I'll bring the etchings DOWN.'"  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2006, 12:59:44 AM »

And now - Dino at the piano.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2006, 01:00:10 AM »

PANDOWDY, baby, PANDOWDY!  That's what I'M talkin' about.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2006, 04:50:22 AM »

He is the master of smelling-a-fart school of acting:  whenever you forget a line, and he does often from the few I've caught, look as if you've smelled something really bad till you remember it.

Good morning, all!  I'm off to Toyland shortly, and then home for the day working on Ms Ziemba's chart.  I was going to see GOOD NIGHT AND GOOD LUCK THIS AFTERNOON, but after CAPOTE I need a day before seeing another serious film.  

DR Ben, Ron Raines called me last night raving about GREY GARDENS.  He, too, thought Ms Ebersole was great.  After working with her in Chicago, I think I'll pass on seeing her show.  I'd rather spend my money on something else.

I'll be in and out tonight: at 8:00 I'm watching SLINGS AND ARROWS on Sundance, and that's more important to my scheme of things than the vanity and competition of the Oscars.  Our DR MattH is all set to gives us a running red carpet treatment so I'll have missed nothing, unless someone's breast pops out of a gown.  Perhaps  DR Matt H will have video at 11?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2006, 04:52:40 AM »

I am not a DRake fan... He exists...

I really Like Matt Ashford, Melissa Reeves and many of the actors taht Days had in the past like Charles Shaughnessy, Stephen Nichols, and Mary Beth Evans...

Sadly, I feel sorry for many of the veteran actors for the show was once relatively well written. The present writer is an abomination to the craft and to all writers in general.

And Marlena!  I've only caught a few episodes in the past two months in the afternoons working at home, but the idea of any men competing for the affections of that affected ice princess is too funny for words, almost as funny as believing some of the nelly boys on that and PASSIONS are straight.  Or actors.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2006, 04:56:37 AM »

I loved the Thurber Carnival cast album.  I lament the loss of the spoken word catalog:  none of the Columbia play recordings are on CD, and HarperColins is pathetic with the old Caedmon catalogue:  I'd love  CDs of their SCHOOL FOR SCANDAL with Gerladine McEwen, MARAT/SADE, TARTUFFE from the Stratford Festival, and others.  RCA also had Congreve's LOVE FOR LOVE, Olivier's OTHELLO (I believe). and a few more.  Which label had WAY OF THE WORLD?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2006, 04:58:37 AM »

Yes, A Thurber Carnival looms large in Kritzer Time - it was one of the shows that hugely influenced me.  "I'd like you to meet Miss Gorce - Miss Gorce is in the embalming game."  "Well, if I dialed the wrong number, why did you answer the phone?"  "I said, 'Why don't you wait here and I'll bring the etchings DOWN.'"  

"How can I be overdrawn when I have all these checks left?"

"You can call it sleepwalking, but I say she's promiscuous."
« Last Edit: March 05, 2006, 04:58:58 AM by elmore3003 »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2006, 06:01:53 AM »

Oscar Night!  I won't be around until around 7 or so.....but I will be here.  Work LOOMS.

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 41   Go Up