Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: THE LATE, LATE SHOW  (Read 55085 times)

FJL

Re:THE LATE, LATE SHOW
« Reply #180 on: March 11, 2006, 09:35:37 PM »

Are we on page 7 yet?

François de Paris

« Reply #181 on: March 11, 2006, 09:39:55 PM »

Speaking of infectious - What work does the line "My infection for you grows with each passing hour" (or something like that) come from?

This is not a trivia contest, I'm just wondering where that line comes from.

A love letter I got a few days ago BUT... wait! HOW do YOU know??? :o ;)

François de Paris

« Reply #182 on: March 11, 2006, 09:41:01 PM »

Are we on page 7 yet?

Stop rowing! We're there!

François de Paris

« Reply #183 on: March 11, 2006, 09:44:00 PM »

Now I get that wolf looking at me! Good I'm not wearing a red hood!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #184 on: March 11, 2006, 09:44:35 PM »

And also get rid of the house in the process!! :D

That is the unfortunate part....
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #185 on: March 11, 2006, 09:45:42 PM »

Now I get that wolf looking at me! Good I'm not wearing a red hood!

LOL

So much better to see you with Monsieur!!

HOWL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2006, 09:55:48 PM by DakotaCelt »
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #186 on: March 11, 2006, 09:50:18 PM »

Looks like it's a few days alone as I just dropped off the DP at the airport for his trip to visit his family in Pennsylvania.  He hasn't been back in 4 years or so.  It's going to be weird without him around.  

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #187 on: March 11, 2006, 09:50:27 PM »

I found out the neighbors next door are selling their house as soon as their new house is finished.  So if anyone wants to move to Sioux City and be my next door neighbor.......

Don't everyone volunteer at once....that would be unseemly

I just found out (from my niece) that my sister has decided to sell the house that I'm renting from her.  I was planning on buying something like a condo anyway, but I was being quite wishy-washy about when I would actually start the process.  Now that my sister has made her decision, it's all a matter of how soon.  I know that we (my sister and I and any and all other family members) will have to get this house all cleaned up and sellable, so that's going to be what'll be happening soon.  Probably sooner than I would have purchased my own place.  I'm quite the procrastinator...as several of you know, I'm sure. ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #188 on: March 11, 2006, 09:52:01 PM »

I just found out (from my niece) that my sister has decided to sell the house that I'm renting from her.  I was planning on buying something like a condo anyway, but I was being quite wishy-washy about when I would actually start the process.  Now that my sister has made her decision, it's all a matter of how soon.  I know that we (my sister and I and any and all other family members) will have to get this house all cleaned up and sellable, so that's going to be what'll be happening soon.  Probably sooner than I would have purchased my own place.  I'm quite the procrastinator...as several of you know, I'm sure. ;)

Good house hunting vibes to George!!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #189 on: March 11, 2006, 09:55:01 PM »

Looks like it's a few days alone as I just dropped off the DP at the airport for his trip to visit his family in Pennsylvania.  He hasn't been back in 4 years or so.  It's going to be weird without him around.  

It will be a bit strange

I send company vibes your way!!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #190 on: March 11, 2006, 09:58:56 PM »

Back from a frustrating performance.  The audience was great - the most vocal we've had in weeks - wanted to laugh loudly at everything, and they did, despite the cast giving a virtually energy-free performance.  I just sat there and scratched my head.  I mean, even Tammy's sure-fire laugh line in act one, which has landed at every single performance, didn't get a laugh tonight because you couldn't even hear the line.  The second half of act two finally picked up energy, but everyone seemed in a completely weird place.  The actor who'd been doing better was dreadful this evening.  Every laugh mis-timed and it was painful to watch, at least for me it was.  Still, the audience really laughed at mostly everything they should have tonight, despite the energy level.  But, if the cast had been on like they've been for the last few shows, this show would have KILLED tonight - would have gotten non-stop huge laughs.  Oh, well.  Actors - can't live with 'em, can't live with 'em.  I left the theater quickly because I didn't really want to be negative after the show.

Shayne: The Trotter CD was supposed to record in December, but, it would seem to me he's not motivated, and now it's March, and I've kind of lost interest in the project.  We may do something at some point, but it's not going to be the Styne album.  The Shire is ready if I want to just do a straight rerelease, but I'd like to add a piece or two.  However, that becomes complicated because everything has to coordinate with David, and we have to find a singer.  Perhaps when I plan my next trip to NY we'll figure it out.  If not, I'll just rerelease it between now and summer.

George

« Reply #191 on: March 11, 2006, 10:00:05 PM »

Good house hunting vibes to George!!

Thanks!  I'm sure it'll take a while to get my house (and yard :P) in order, and then I have to find a place to move to.  I'll probably get an apartment first, just to be able to move out of the house, then my sister said that she'd give me some money from the sale of this house as a downpayment on something that I could buy, since I just paid off my credit cards and I have no savings.  Our parents gave my sister the lot where she built her house, and this is her way of "paying it forward." :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #192 on: March 11, 2006, 10:08:48 PM »

Thanks!  I'm sure it'll take a while to get my house (and yard :P) in order, and then I have to find a place to move to.  I'll probably get an apartment first, just to be able to move out of the house, then my sister said that she'd give me some money from the sale of this house as a downpayment on something that I could buy, since I just paid off my credit cards and I have no savings.  Our parents gave my sister the lot where she built her house, and this is her way of "paying it forward." :)

Ahh, Then things will work out for the better...
I am working on getting rid of my credit cards also. Easier said than done...

George

« Reply #193 on: March 11, 2006, 10:08:56 PM »

I know that it's only just after 10:00 p.m., but I'm going to hit the hay (and actually go to sleep).  In the morning (at 8:00 a.m., to be precise), I have to be at the Washington Center for the Performing Arts[/url] in downtown Olympia, to help with the load-in of a tour of The Acting Company's "The Three Musketeers."  I work backstage a few times a year...it's always nice to have a little extra spending money.  I'll help with the load-in, be backstage during the show itself, and help load out the stuff.  I'll work with the wardrobe person and I usually get to interact with some of the performers.  I rarely ever get to see any of the show, but it's still a lot of fun.  Anyway, it ends up being a very, very, very (that's three verys) long day with only a couple of hours for a break in the middle of it all.  Fun, but long. :D

George

« Reply #194 on: March 11, 2006, 10:11:48 PM »

So, Wussburgerland, here I come! ;)

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #195 on: March 11, 2006, 10:12:08 PM »

I know that it's only just after 10:00 p.m., but I'm going to hit the hay (and actually go to sleep).  In the morning (at 8:00 a.m., to be precise), I have to be at the Washington Center for the Performing Arts[/url] in downtown Olympia, to help with the load-in of a tour of The Acting Company's "The Three Musketeers."  I work backstage a few times a year...it's always nice to have a little extra spending money.  I'll help with the load-in, be backstage during the show itself, and help load out the stuff.  I'll work with the wardrobe person and I usually get to interact with some of the performers.  I rarely ever get to see any of the show, but it's still a lot of fun.  Anyway, it ends up being a very, very, very (that's three verys) long day with only a couple of hours for a break in the middle of it all.  Fun, but long. :D

Have fun George and beware, those foils are sharp!!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #196 on: March 11, 2006, 11:01:53 PM »

Good Morning!

Greetings from New York City!

New York City?!?!??!

Damn, that commercial!

:P
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #197 on: March 11, 2006, 11:05:02 PM »

But, before I go, Mr. Moore, I am available for meeting on Palm Sunday, April 9th. I don't know about Anthony. It's a bit early for him.

10am may also be a bit early for actual brunch in the theatre district but there are plenty of diners around, especially on Ninth Avenue where we can meet and eat. We have the Theatre Row Diner on Dyre Avenue and 42nd Street across from Manhattan Plaza. We have the Westway Diner on 9th Avenue between 43rd and 44th, and we have the Galaxy on 9th Avenue and 46th. Festen is at the Music Box on 45th between Broadway and 8th Avenue so they are all within walking distance.

DR Ben - As I discovered one day last week while walking around midtown, the Galaxy Diner is now closed.  -Well, the doors were locked, the lights off, and the windows "clouded" (painted on the inside with white paint).  Who knows?  Maybe they're remodeling, but I suspect they have closed.  Steve and I would always have breakfast there whenever we came up to the City.

:(

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #198 on: March 11, 2006, 11:09:00 PM »

DR Cillaliz - Well, at least you're finding the termites now rather than later.  "OK, let's go ahead and work on this room now..."

And, yes, once that DIY mode kicks in, it kicks in.  Have you thought about adding another turret?

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #199 on: March 11, 2006, 11:12:50 PM »

The drive back up to NYC was very nice.  I ended up putting more stuff in my car than I thought I was going to, but there's nothing surprising or new about that.  ;)  I brought a lot of little things up - books, lamps, small shelving unit, and more clothes.  *And at this point, I think all the clothes I have left in storage are actually now too big for me.  :)  So, I guess I'll be making another nice donation to Diversity Thrift.

I got the car unpacked, and got most everything put away.  I'll deal with the clothes in the morning.  And now...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #200 on: March 11, 2006, 11:21:07 PM »

As I mentioned earlier, I really did have a wonderful afternoon.

I paid another visit to my cousin, Richard, at the hospital.  He's doing so much better, and he looked so much better too.  It looks like he may have to stay in the hospital for a few more days until his system is "clean", but at least they know what they're treating and how to treat it.

Apparently, the delay in giving a proper diagnosis was that the usual factors, causes for colitis were not present.  They diagnosed it as something viral, but they're just not sure where the virus came from.  The doctors were really stumped.  So stumped in fact, that they were sending his chart around to other doctors and hospitals in the DC area.  It was one of those cases where if it looks likes, act likes colitis, it must be colitis.  -Even if the usual trigger was not present.

They started him on liquid supplements today, and, hopefully, he'll be able to have solid food again sometime in the next two or three days.  Richard is very much looking towards that!  He even said he started having dreams about steak and cheese sandwiches!  So, at least, the return of his appetite is a sure sign that his body is recovering, starting to heal.  *Alas, it will probably be a couple of weeks, maybe even two or three months before he can safely have a steak and cheese sandwich.  His wife and mother-in-law are already planning the the "Real Meal" party for him.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #201 on: March 11, 2006, 11:23:50 PM »

While I was visiting Richard, his mother-in-law and one her friends came by too.

"This is my cousin, Jojo.  He'll be with the new Elton John show on Broadway."

-Oh, that's very nice.  What do you do?

I'm a keyboard player.

"Yeah, Jojo and I would jam in my parents' basement.  He's actually one of my musical inspirations."

I never knew that before.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #202 on: March 11, 2006, 11:39:21 PM »

And as I was leaving Richard's room, I noticed another guy walking down the hall..

-Ed?

"Yes... Oh, hey, HI! How are you? Been a long time."

-Yes, it has.  Oh, are you hear to see Richard?

"Yeah..."

It was Ed Hartness.  We met while we were both playing a production of Company in the summer of 1985.  I was on piano/keyboards, and he was the drummer.  -And he went to the same high school as my cousin.  We talked for about five minutes, and caught up as best as we could in that time.  And it turns out that he and Richard are in the middle of a recording project that will hopefully get finished soon after Richard gets of the hospital.

And just in case Ed Hartness rings a bell, Ed is actually Eddie from the folk-rock group, Eddie From Ohio.  They started in DC in the early 90s, just after Eddie finished college.  They have a real unique sound, and I've always loved their bumper sticker catch-phrase: Folkin' Excellent.  They're on a sort of hiatus right now, but Ed says they still do at least one gig a month.  Their schedule will pick up again in the fall - everyone is working on other projects right now.  In any case...

If you want to hear "The best band you've never heard of", you can check out the band's website:

http://www.efohio.com

*And it's actually a pretty neat website too.  -The band bios are a fun read - if a little small to read comfortably.

**And I see that they now have "Folkin' Excellent" t-shirts now!  :)

In any case, it was great seeing Eddie again.  I don't think we've crossed paths in about 15 years.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #203 on: March 11, 2006, 11:44:30 PM »

Well, since I had run into Ed, I then had to call my friend, Rachel.  Rachel was also in the pit of Company back in 1985.  WOW!  That's 20+ years ago already!  WOW!  In any case...

Rachel is a dear friend, and even though we both get busy with our lives and may not talk to each other for months at a time, whenever we do talk, it's like it was just yesterday, and we're all caught up in no time.  Rachel had a big crush on Eddie in high school, and it started when we were all doing Company.  So, after running into Eddie at the hospital, I just had to call Rachel to say HI, and to "remind" her of her high school crush.

;)

Needless to say, it was great talking to her again - been a while.  She's doing well.  Her husband is doing well, and their two daughters are still the joys of their lives.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #204 on: March 11, 2006, 11:48:39 PM »

And to bring this whole "This Is Your Life" type day full-circle...

That production of Company was my first professional gig.  It didn't pay much, but it paid.  And for a 16-year old piano player, any pay was good pay at the time.

As I mentioned earlier, Ed was the drummer, and Rachel played violin in the orchestra.  -And we had a full 21-piece band for that show!

The Hammond organ I used for the show was borrowed from Richard's family.

OH!  And the assistant sound designer for that production of Company was my friend, Chris, who did the sound design for the Oklahoma! "Coming Attractions" for What If? (which was directed and put together by our very own BK).
« Last Edit: March 11, 2006, 11:51:31 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #205 on: March 11, 2006, 11:50:47 PM »

As I said, it really was a good afternoon.

And I managed to get a Trader Joe's stop in, as well as a nice Indian buffet late lunch/early dinner.  And when I went to check the air pressure in my tires, they were all still at the proper inflation.  -And it's been a while since I've checked it, so...

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #206 on: March 11, 2006, 11:52:30 PM »

DR Matthew - Maybe you could use this time to work on your pastry skills.  Surprise your DP when he gets home.

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #207 on: March 11, 2006, 11:55:59 PM »

Ooohh cool!  I put on the second disc of "Midnight Moods: after hours chill-out nirvana"...  What an eclectic mix!

I just heard Barry White's version of Billy Joel's "Just the Way You Are", and now I'm listening to Gladys Knights' cover of "Help Me Make It Through The Night".  Very cool, very chill.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #208 on: March 12, 2006, 12:11:45 AM »

Back from a little supper with Tammy and Matt - we discussed the show and they were very aware of its problems and will fix it for the next show.  We had quite a bit of fun!  Now I must write the notes.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #209 on: March 12, 2006, 12:39:09 AM »

Oh... Guess BK is still writing the new notes... Hmm... Ah, well...

Goodnight.

*Although, with all the noise outside right now - lots of people still up and about and talking loudly(!) - I guess I'll have to use my earplugs tonight... Hmm..
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up