Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: UNTITLED  (Read 53221 times)

FJL

Re:UNTITLED
« Reply #180 on: March 14, 2006, 06:48:20 PM »

The highlight of the musical version is called "Whatever Zola Vaunts, Zola Gets."

FJL

« Reply #181 on: March 14, 2006, 06:49:26 PM »

Page 7 dance to "Whatever Zola Vaunts."

The show will be financed with muni bonds.

FJL

« Reply #182 on: March 14, 2006, 06:50:51 PM »

Those posts certainly seemed to cast a paul over the board.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #183 on: March 14, 2006, 07:04:40 PM »

MattH, regarding one of your posts yesterday.  I had absolutely no idea that Anita Morris had passed away.  My sister and I grew up loving her in the movie Ruthless People.

I always thought that she was fabulous.  According to the Trivia section of "Radioland Murders," she died shortly after filming was finished.  But I wonder if she died during the filming because when her character is arrested and taken away, you never see her face.  Does anyone know for sure?
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #184 on: March 14, 2006, 08:11:03 PM »

My favorite short stories are by Robert Sheckley, who only recently passed away. My fave of his is called "Redfern's Labyrinth."

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #185 on: March 14, 2006, 08:12:32 PM »

Sad about Peter Tomarkin and his wife. Just recently, The Game Show Network had aired that 2-hour special about the guy who figured out a way to beat PRESS YOUR LUCK. It was fascinating, and Tomarkin had a great attitude about the whole thing.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #186 on: March 14, 2006, 08:15:58 PM »

Home and health vibes to Ann!!

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #187 on: March 14, 2006, 08:20:38 PM »

How 'bout an LP cover?

This is from Steve Allen, "Tonight at Midnight." E-Z listening.

MBarnum

« Reply #188 on: March 14, 2006, 08:29:33 PM »

Speaking of album covers, an LP is winging it's way to you as we write DR Rodzinski!

And it sounds like you and the TPunk had a very nice "we" day!  :D

MBarnum

« Reply #189 on: March 14, 2006, 08:30:29 PM »

I finished THREE GUYS NAMED MIKE and am now in love with Howard Keel and, to a lesser extent, Van Johnson.

MBarnum

« Reply #190 on: March 14, 2006, 08:31:01 PM »

I must now look at Ebay.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #191 on: March 14, 2006, 08:34:44 PM »

Please send get well wishes to Harvey Schmidt. Love his music which has meant so much to me through most of my life. He is MUCH loved.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #192 on: March 14, 2006, 08:37:12 PM »

I lasted about ten minutes into that AMERICAN IDOL pre-show on the TV GUIDE Channel. Hosted by Kimberly Caldwell (from Season 2) and some other no-name person, it was completely and utterly dreadful.

They did bring Jon Peter Lewis on as a "guest star," but it really was a terrible, terrible show.

Matt H.

« Reply #193 on: March 14, 2006, 08:38:48 PM »

So I watched a MURDER SHE WROTE rerun on the Biography Channel to lead into IDOL at 8. I had seen the episode before, but it was from season 4 or 5, so it was entertaining. The mysteries were still interesting and surprising in the show.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #194 on: March 14, 2006, 08:44:38 PM »

Very curious about the LP, Mr. Barnum. Yes, a fun day was had, like a couple of tourists in the city!

Matt H.

« Reply #195 on: March 14, 2006, 08:46:02 PM »

I think I've been around this site long enough for folks to know that I know very little about modern pop music, so an IDOL show devoted to the finalists singing Stevie Wonder songs was pretty torturous for me. Most of the tunes to my ear went to strange, eccentric places in the melody, and not just because of the singers' performances. There were only two or three of the twelve songs that I would ever want to hear again with ANYONE singing them.

That said, the singers who most entertained me tonight were Ace, Mandisa, Bucky, Katharine (the best of the night for me), and Taylor.

I still think Elliott has the best tone in his voice of the men. Ace is the most comfortable in front of an audience. Chris and Taylor are also very assured and are a pleasure to watch.

Paris and Lisa, both in their mid-teens were made up to look like they were 35 years old. I didn't think either one picked songs that could show vocally what they could do. Paris in particular irritated me by singing along with the accompaniment and not actually singing the song. (Fantasia used to do this also).

In terms of calling in votes, at the 40 minute mark into the voting, I tried every single person's number. Only one person's line was busy at that point: Taylor.

Matt H.

« Reply #196 on: March 14, 2006, 08:49:23 PM »

THE SHIELD had another of those episodes that was so exciting and so harrowing that I couldn't sit still in my chair. I was up pacing around the room at times because it was SO intense.

Between this show and '24,' I'm aging UNgracefully more and more every week.

Matt H.

« Reply #197 on: March 14, 2006, 09:04:55 PM »

I am really looking forward to receiving a couple of Amazon packages tomorrow including the MISS MARPLE set with Margaret Rutherford. I picked up the box at Circuit City today, but there was no information about the films or special features on the back of the box. Will have to crack open the cellophane tomorrow and see what is contained on the DVDs, if anything.

Matt H.

« Reply #198 on: March 14, 2006, 09:07:10 PM »

DR MBarnum, if you really like Howard Keel, I recommend KISS ME KATE. For his on-stage scenes, he's in tights that complement his physique to perfection, and he's wearing a wavy haired wig and a goatee that look stupendous on him. He's also vocally and histrionically at his very best in this movie, I think his best performance.

Matt H.

« Reply #199 on: March 14, 2006, 09:08:18 PM »

And since I have only a half hour SCRUBS episode and THE CLOSER from tonight to watch, I might be able to squeeze in HARRY POTTER AND THE GOBLET OF FIRE if it comes tomorrow as I'm hoping.

Matt H.

« Reply #200 on: March 14, 2006, 09:08:58 PM »

Now, I'm heading for bed myself.

Good night!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #201 on: March 14, 2006, 09:13:21 PM »

Went and used up some credit at Amoeba - got the Miss Marple set (promo copy, very good price), Good Night and Good Luck (which I'm watching now), Five Weeks In A Balloon (didn't know it was out), and the new SE of Midnight Cowboy, which has gotten bad marks for its picture quality, but it's got to be better than the original non-anamorphic disc.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #202 on: March 14, 2006, 09:28:08 PM »

I was at the store earlier and saw a DVD of the Producers and realized that the director and his assistant would have to be the actual true answer to yesterday's TOD for me.
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #203 on: March 14, 2006, 09:31:05 PM »

The Vixter brought home her English Lieterature textbook and as I was browsing through I found  Thurbers The Night the Bed fell on Father mentioned here earlier.  i had never heard of it before today, so of course I had to read it all. very funny.  I would love to hear it read out loud by Garrison Keillor or David Sedaris  (How's that for a mixed bag?)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #204 on: March 14, 2006, 09:31:29 PM »

Good Evening!

DR elmore - I am sooooo sorry.  I meant to call you to send my regrets, but the time just got away from me this afternoon.  However, it sounded like you had a wonderful time even though DR Jason and myself weren't there.  I really am sorry for not calling you.
Make Your Own Luck.

vixmom

« Reply #205 on: March 14, 2006, 09:32:12 PM »

Well I have beenup since 5:30 this Am and since it is fast approaching 12:30 Am  time for me to toddle off to dreamland.... night all

MBarnum

« Reply #206 on: March 14, 2006, 09:34:02 PM »

DR MBarnum, if you really like Howard Keel, I recommend KISS ME KATE. For his on-stage scenes, he's in tights that complement his physique to perfection, and he's wearing a wavy haired wig and a goatee that look stupendous on him. He's also vocally and histrionically at his very best in this movie, I think his best performance.

I actually tried to watch KISS ME KATE about a year ago but just could not get into it for some reason. Will have to give it another try sometime.

MBarnum

« Reply #207 on: March 14, 2006, 09:36:44 PM »

And for heaven's sake DR MattH, certainly you must realize that my interest in Howard Keel was only for his talent rather then his physical stature... 8)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #208 on: March 14, 2006, 09:59:03 PM »

Done with Good Night and Good Luck, about which more later.  I'm going to check out the transfer of Five Weeks In A Balloon, and then maybe watch Murder, She Said.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #209 on: March 14, 2006, 10:07:38 PM »

So...

After finishing my errands earlier this afternoon, I went over to The Palace Theatre to check in on all things Lestat.

:D

I saw my dressing room - well, the orchestra dressing room.  Then I headed up to the seventh(!) floor to the "auxiliary pit" which is where I'll be during the run of the show.  There are 18 pieces/players in the pit, but there's only room for 15 people in the actual orchestra pit, so three of us will be up on the seventh floor: the Key 2 player and the Percussionist (which includes the timpani!).  It's cozy, but we do have our own bathroom.  -We're actually in a dressing room space.

After touring the backstage area, I ended up hanging out in the theatre watching the tech and help proof orchestra scores.  -Which also allowed me to get a sneak peek at my keyboard part.

It really felt great to be in that theatre.  Knowing that my dream is still in process, still coming true.  And then it hit me, our First Preview is a week from this Saturday!  And then thinking back to when I got "the call" back in August... Something that seemed so far away is now here!

:)
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up