Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE CLUB SANDWICH  (Read 20734 times)

Jennifer

Re:THE CLUB SANDWICH
« Reply #60 on: December 03, 2003, 10:32:45 AM »

The backstage story is interesting in that it shows how the producers manipulate the show, but it doesn't excuse Clay's choice to make the song (like everything else he sang) a friggin' Vegas Lounge Lizard riff-fest.  It's a beautiful, simple song of compassion to a troubled soul.  It does not need, and in fact suffers from, embellishment.  Clay's inability to leave it alone told me that he's not much of an artist.  But what can you expect from AI, you just have to accept it for what it is and not expect true artistry from it.  

Do you think Clay got to choose exactly how he sang the song?

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
    • Our Wedding:  The Musical
« Reply #61 on: December 03, 2003, 10:33:21 AM »

Farmer, pointing the way with radish.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #62 on: December 03, 2003, 10:41:04 AM »

I haven't done holiday decorating in quite some time.  I do have stuff in storage, so I could do a xmas tree, but I haven't even had time to think about a xmas tree, and haven't had one since I moved into my home environment, because I'm not sure where to put it.

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
    • Our Wedding:  The Musical
« Reply #63 on: December 03, 2003, 10:50:53 AM »

Do you think Clay got to choose exactly how he sang the song?
I don't know what the behind-the-scenes answer is to that, but I'm pretty sure nobody was forcing him to riff.  Maybe he was coached to do that, but just looking at his face is enough to see that he had no idea what the song was about.  And from what we know of Clay as a performer, no song is safe from riffing.  Not even The First Noel.  I think it's just his style and he lacks the maturity and wisdom to know when it's appropriate to embellish and when it's not.  And let's not forget that these people are products, first and foremost.  They're not looking for individuality and artistry, they're looking for bland, brand-name performers that will sell.  Look at Ruben - sure, he can sing, but he's a one-trick pony.  Safe, boring, cuddly, and no different than countless others who have come before.

I had high hopes for Clay.  He was not the archetype of a pop star, and he obviously has talent; but he unfortunately fell into the trap of being made into a product, just like everyone else.  He has retained very little of his individuality, which was the most appealing thing about him.  Maybe someday he'll break free from the labels and the plastic hair-ironing factory and show us what he can do without all the overproducing crowding out the inner Clay.
Farmer, pointing the way with radish.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #64 on: December 03, 2003, 10:53:54 AM »

Ummm....hello.

My name is Ron....and....

...I am a Christmas Ornament-oholic!

Christmas has always been my favorite holiday specifically because of the decorations.

It was also my least favorite holiday because it seemed to bring out the worst in people closest to me...too much pressure to make it a happy time when it was anything BUT....

So when I was out on my own...and could have a tree....I began buying decorations.  Some I liked and others --- well....Oops! Aww, it broke!  And the next year, I'd have to buy "some" new ones.

Year after year, decade after decade.  I have enough Christmas decorations in storage to decorate five large trees.  Lights, too!  Oh!  My Goodness Gracious, Yes!  I have the lights.  Strands and strands of them.

My last Christmas tree was in 1992 (Naples, Italy).  I had 1,000 lights on my tree.  Yes, I did!

I have boxes and boxes and boxes of ornaments that have never been hung on a tree, too.  Every year, when I return from my Christmas trip home (back to SC and more joyful times than when I was a boy), I hit the sales!

I'm picky about the ornaments.  I don't buy 'em in boxes.  I pick them out from individual displays.

I love 'em.  I crave 'em.  I can't get enough of 'em!

I'm a Christmas Ornament-oholic!

(To answer the question, though:  I don't decorate my apartment -- I do tasteful stuff, IMO, at my work station!)

« Last Edit: December 03, 2003, 10:57:06 AM by Ron Pulliam »

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #65 on: December 03, 2003, 11:16:24 AM »

Note to S. Woody White: If you DO buy the ugly snowman, be sure to take a photo of it and post it here for all of us to enjoy!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #66 on: December 03, 2003, 11:37:55 AM »

BK -
You skipped my questions and answered several that came later.  Here they are again:

Is Terry Trotter any relation to JohnScott Trotter?

Whatever happened to Roy Chickas (I think I spelled it right) who sings on your BROADWAY CHRISTMAS CD?  Most of the members of the BK rep singers were familiar to me and I have seen them or at least heard about them doing many subsequent projects, but this is a singer I have never heard of before or since.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #67 on: December 03, 2003, 11:39:38 AM »

I don't do any decorating myself....I just drive around and look at everybody else's stuff.

I must say that there is a lovely life size Nativity Scene at the end of our street that contains one of the Wise Men who is always at an angle.  They straighten him up, but he falls over every day....looking for all the world as though he were imbibing on the way the Bethlehem!

The same yard has little Nutcracker guards along side the fir trees and last year a dog chased a cat through them and some of them were lying down and others standing on their heads or leaning against each other in vaguely sexual postions....it was a lighted picture that drew me back again and again!

It is NOT this Nativity scene.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2003, 11:43:39 AM by JRand53 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: December 03, 2003, 11:41:24 AM »

Sorry WEL, I thought I'd gotten them all -

Terry is no relation to John Scott.

Roy Chicas - Don't really know what's happened to him.  I "discovered" him in Bring on the Morning, an off-B'way show from the Me Nobody Knows folks.  Both he and Yvette whatever her last name is from the same album were in that show.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #69 on: December 03, 2003, 11:43:03 AM »

By the way, concerning that strange casting article, she should be cast as King Sextimus since she prefers crossdressing roles and would not have to open her mouth until the final scene.

Also, I read that in next season's HELLO DOLLY the title role may be played by Bette Midler!
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #70 on: December 03, 2003, 11:46:26 AM »

DR Jennifer that is shocking casting news.  DR WEL, while yours is no less surprising, I wonder if it can really happen?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2003, 11:46:47 AM by JRand53 »

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #71 on: December 03, 2003, 12:00:49 PM »

Well, in the case of AMERICAN IDOL, I think ALL the contestants feel like they have to "show off" with their voices. Not a single contestant ever sings a song without embellishment. I think they're afraid the judges would call their singing boring or possibly they would think the others would "out flash" them and thereby lose.

I agree; I much prefer non-embellished vocalizing, but that doesn't really seem to be the standard for any of the singers one hears nowadays. In a competitive format such as AI, I doubt we'll ever hear pure vocalizing. I have no clue how they're coached to sing behind the scenes (they do get coaching), but my guess is all these people think it's "good singing" to do that.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #72 on: December 03, 2003, 12:04:25 PM »

Forgot to answer the question about decorating. In the years that I've been without a significent other, I do minimal decorating. I set out a few decorative candles, a Santa in a gold outfit (rather than red) from my father's jewelry store, a small wooden reindeer on my side porch, a wreath on the door. When I've been with someone, it meant a lot to decorate together (tree, mantel, etc.), but I won't do a Christmas tree alone. It's depressing for me to do that.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #73 on: December 03, 2003, 12:18:19 PM »

Thanks for the info DR DANISE....I am not familiar with that program.   That isn't the one you were looking for is it?

Jed

« Reply #74 on: December 03, 2003, 12:21:45 PM »

I don't decorate my apartment.  Just not the decorating type.  However, I do love driving around residential areas in the couple weeks before Christmas and enjoying the decorating and lights of others.

When growing up, we would always go out and find a Christmas tree "up in them thar hills."  We have the ever-popular trunk o' Christmas stuff, with tons of tree decorations, some holiday decorative plates and such, Santa candle holders, etc etc etc (oh, a The King and I reference).  Plenty of colored lights on the tree, and usually some white ones mixed in with boughs cut from the base of the tree and placed on the mantle.  Sometimes a couple strings of white lights outside, sometimes not.

Joy - Jesi... LOL!!!!!!!! :D

Jennifer - That casting news has my skin a'crawling, oh yes it do.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Tomovoz

« Reply #75 on: December 03, 2003, 12:23:27 PM »

I can understand why Christmas can be touch depressing for some. I so hope that no-one is alone at Christmas. My favourite part of Chistmas is still the music. Has anyone heard the Carly Simon Chistmas CD? I have been playing the Christmas Cds of Johnny Mathis and Jerry Vale over the past few days.
I saw a documentary programme (program Ron) recently where someone aspiring to be a "pop star" was being taught to make the most of that "Mariah" warbling/vibrato thing so that she could be more successful. I thought people did it because they had no way of sustaining the notes! It is so ugly. It is interesting to compare the Mariah/Whitney version of "When You Believe" to the BK produced version on the Stephen Schwartz album
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #76 on: December 03, 2003, 12:25:44 PM »

Jed do you wish people a Mary Christmas or a Marry Christmas up there in them hills?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #77 on: December 03, 2003, 12:37:51 PM »

I just heard on the radio that a guy in Germany has been charged (or is on trial) with killing and then eating someone he met on the internet. Is HHW safe?
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #78 on: December 03, 2003, 12:42:48 PM »

A kimlet club sandwich!
James Thurber 1957

Jed

« Reply #79 on: December 03, 2003, 12:48:09 PM »

Jed do you wish people a Mary Christmas or a Marry Christmas up there in them hills?

Hmm... perhaps I'll have to give those a try, ya smartass. ;D

I just heard on the radio that a guy in Germany has been charged (or is on trial) with killing and then eating someone he met on the internet. Is HHW safe?

Post with one eye open, Tom.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2003, 12:49:58 PM by Jed »

Tomovoz

« Reply #80 on: December 03, 2003, 12:55:04 PM »

If I were to be killed and eaten by a fellow Washingtonian (for making fun of the accents - which I have never heard -) would that be a form of incest too. I am pleased that TCB is not out here reading and answering that one!
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #81 on: December 03, 2003, 12:57:33 PM »

My guilt rewarded you Jed. I think out neighbours in NZ avoid the problem and wish each other a Heppy Christmas!
James Thurber 1957

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #82 on: December 03, 2003, 12:57:44 PM »

My God, how I hate Wednesdays....they're my busiest days and SO do not suit my lazy self.  I almost fell asleep during Western Civ...I don't think even the most gifted teacher could make some of those topics interesting.  

Lea DeLaria as Princess Winnifred??  Let's go with a smiley to more eloquently convey my reaction:

It's not that she's not talented.  But she WOULD be better as King Sextimus!

Ron--I hope you feel better soon!

Hmmm....my family puts a Christmas tree up each year, but we don't really go all out on the decorations, and at the most put a string of white lights around the window.  

I actually preferred Treat Williams to Gregory Harrison in the Follies revival, although I enjoyed both.  I guess the revival was at least 3 years agos now, so I don't remember their performances as vividly as I should.  I thought Blythe Danner was the best of the 4 principals actually.

Hmmm....I'm in a sweet mood...so my question for BK and DRs...what is your favorite candy?  Mine right now would be Almond Joys, but it changes on a daily basis!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #83 on: December 03, 2003, 01:02:32 PM »

Jay, my wife thanks you for your concern and she is coping well...aside from wandering around the house like a deer in headlights, continually hugging me (intimations of one's own mortality, I suspect), and is now going off to see her own therapist...She also has to go back to the office today to sort out her schedule and when she might get back in, etc. and is dreading that.

For those of you who don't know, about fifteen-twenty minutes after my wife left for work (she's a therapist in Encino), her building manager called  here and left a message to tell her not to bother, since there had been a shooting in the building and everything was cordoned off.  

As it was, she arrived about fifteen minutes after events had transpired.  She had been a little late. Had she been on schedule, she would have been there when it happened.  The "it" was that in the office next door to her (they share a common paper-thin wall), a couple were in therapy when the man pulled out a gun and shot his wife and then shot himself.  Both died. The therapist escaped.  Jay noticed that Julieanne was quoted in the LA Times today.

Other matters:  Bruce, Frank Levy was the person I dealt with on my play.  We also tried to set up a remake of THE UNINVITED.  It didn't happen.  (I later wrote one for Raffaella DeLaurentiis...it never got done, though I was paid handsomely).  Frank, I think, was a little afraid of me after I wouldn't give Catalina the free option on THE EBONY APE.  But he called me years later,and wanted to know if we were still okay and if I'd be interested in doing a remake of the play CHILD'S PLAY for TV.  I couldn't quite see it.  But I always liked Frank, thought him smart, and you're right, he died too young.

The Katherina in the Marc Singer/ACT TAMING OF THE SHREW was Fredi Olster.  She was just fine...as was everyone.  A lovely production.  It's available in the Broadway Theatre Archive series.

Matt H.

« Reply #84 on: December 03, 2003, 01:05:00 PM »

LOL - "a kimlet club sandwich"  ::)

Tomovoz

« Reply #85 on: December 03, 2003, 01:05:01 PM »

I'll vote for Blythe Danner too Maya. I didn't realise until yesterday that Treat Williams had been in "Grease" and "Pirates". I only knew him from "The Ritz". Polly Bergen was so much better than her performance on the Tony Awards suggested.
James Thurber 1957

Jed

« Reply #86 on: December 03, 2003, 01:05:10 PM »

Well, since telling Ann this little tale last night seemed to result in various beverages spewing forth from her nose, I thought I'd share with all y'all.

Tonight we'll be trying Leg Covering for Jed #3.  My Ghost of Christmas Present costume for A Christmas Carol is Henry VIII-esque, with a tunic that comes to just above my knees.  No audience needs to be subjected to my blindingly white legs, so we want some sort of tights on me.

Attempt #1 last week was a pair of lace-top thigh high black nylons.  Good lord almighty, did these things ever look ridiculous on me!  They didn't quite make it to my knee, let alone thigh, and it was just one heck of a comedic look.  My fellow cast members tried, but just couldn't help chuckling when my ghost scenes came up... and I couldn't blame them at all.

Last night we had attempt #2.  These were a pair of electric blue nylon/spandex pantyhose.  I'm wondering if the costumer really looked at the size of these, as they were certainly never intended for a fellow my size.  There were instantly runs in the things just coming up over my calves, let alone my monstrous thighs.  Then there was the length, which was equally ridiculous.  They barely made it to the top of my thighs, leaving my rear end hanging over the waistband, and causing me to have a somewhat penguin-ish gait.  Any time I had to negotiate stairs (of which there are many on our set), I would hear a bit of a rip from my legs.  And one of my entrances requires me to take a step up of about 30 inches, which put one heck of a hole in the stockings.

I'm interested to see what Sandy comes up with for me tonight!  Who knows, maybe we'll be trying attempt #5 on opening night Friday!  Ahh, the joys of theatre. :D  

MBarnum

« Reply #87 on: December 03, 2003, 01:06:48 PM »

Fav candy would be anything dark chocolate, particularly those dark chocolate smack and whacks or whatever they are called. You know those orange shaped chocolate things that you have to smack on the table to open and eat.

Recently came across a new type of Reeses Peanut Butter cup which has the peanut butter on the outside and the chocolate on the inside. Very delicious, I must say!

Matt H.

« Reply #88 on: December 03, 2003, 01:08:15 PM »

Favorite candy: Reece's Peanut Butter Cups, but I wouldn't turn down an Almond Joy. Nope, not at all! (Nor just about any other kind of candy someone wants to offer me. I have a hideously bad sweet tooth!)

Jed

« Reply #89 on: December 03, 2003, 01:10:02 PM »

If I were to be killed and eaten by a fellow Washingtonian (for making fun of the accents - which I have never heard -) would that be a form of incest too. I am pleased that TCB is not out here reading and answering that one!

Ha!  I'm sure TCB will have plenty to say when he does get here.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up