Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE CLUB SANDWICH  (Read 20744 times)

Jennifer

Re:THE CLUB SANDWICH
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2003, 08:22:56 AM »

Jennifer, The Name Game was a popular song in the sixties, by Shirley somebody (what was her last name?).

Okay but how do you play? I could sweat yesterday you asked who wanted to play.

Emily

« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2003, 08:24:42 AM »

Jennifer Jennifer bo Bennifer
banana fanna fo fennifer
mee mie mo mennifer
Jennifer
« Last Edit: December 03, 2003, 08:25:11 AM by Emily »
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Jennifer

« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2003, 08:25:07 AM »

DR Emily: Check your email, I need your help!

Emily

« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2003, 08:30:59 AM »

Jen - you got mail.

I'm off everyone to class and then work.  

THE LAST PAPER HAS BEEN HANDED IN!!!  THE LAST PAPER HAS BEEN HANDED IN!!!

REJOICE!!! :D
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2003, 08:33:50 AM »

DR Jose:  You are remembering "The Making of A Male Model" which starred Joan Collins and Kevin McCarthy.  The film attempted to generate heat with heartthrob Jon-Erik Hexum as the "male being made into a model" by Collins.  Jeff Conaway was, indeed, in that cast.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2003, 08:35:18 AM »

Jon-Erik generated plenty of heat in my direction. Sad end to a promising talent.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2003, 08:35:44 AM »

How are you feeling today, DR Ron?

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2003, 08:37:06 AM »

Am home today, folks.  

The general feverish, nauseous, headachey feelings of yesterday afternoon have evolved into an overall oh-that's-new-!, knock-me-out-and-drag-me-down-some-stairs, but don't-stray-10-feet-from-a-bathroom state of affairs.

I'll spare you "details."
« Last Edit: December 03, 2003, 08:38:21 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2003, 08:37:36 AM »

DR Charles Pogue:  Thank you so much for refreshing my memory re: "The Hasty Heart."

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2003, 08:38:54 AM »

DR Jennifer:  NEVER "sweat yesterday"!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2003, 08:38:56 AM »

Sorry to hear you're still under the weather, DR Ron.

One word: COMTREX.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2003, 08:39:27 AM »

DR MattH:  Thank you for asking.  I'm rather blah.

How are YOU?

Jennifer

« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2003, 08:47:42 AM »

DR Jennifer:  NEVER "sweat yesterday"!!!

Yeah I know, but I like games and wanted to play.

Btw, they have selected the next Bachlorette (tv series). It will be Meredith and not Kelly Jo as I predicted.

Jennifer

« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2003, 08:49:45 AM »

Oh and feel better DR Ron.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2003, 08:56:49 AM »

I felt so bad for the lady who had lost both children, her parents, and her husband! And she still didn't win QUEEN FOR A DAY!

I KNOW!!!  It never made sense to me that someone could be on that show with a really hard-luck story and not win.

The cynic in me makes me believe that if she had also said her whites were always dingy, she'd have won the crown and gotten a new washing machine with a 10-year supply of Duz, or something.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2003, 08:57:42 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Danise

« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2003, 08:59:05 AM »

DR Jose:  You are remembering "The Making of A Male Model" which starred Joan Collins and Kevin McCarthy.  The film attempted to generate heat with heartthrob Jon-Erik Hexum as the "male being made into a model" by Collins.  Jeff Conaway was, indeed, in that cast.

Such a sad end, indeed.  I am not gun savvy in any way (and don't WANT to be--guns scare the heck out me) but having watched a John Wayne movie where he shoots a guy with a blank  and said something about, "If he dies, he'll be the first to die from a blank." or some such. I was in shock when I read that was how Jon-Erik Hexum died. I innocently believed  that you couldn’t get hurt with a blank, largely from that John Wayne movie.

The general feverish, nauseous, headachey feelings of yesterday afternoon have evolved into an overall oh-that's-new-!, knock-me-out-and-drag-me-down-some-stairs, but don't-stray-10-feet-from-a-bathroom state of affairs.

Get well vibes to DR Ron.  Err pardon me if I type this from a distance with gloves on.  Don't want to take any chances you understand.  
 I hope this won't happen to you.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2003, 09:07:09 AM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2003, 09:10:48 AM »

DR Danise...that smilie is so funny.

Good vibes to DR Ron - just think of Gale Storm and you will feel better.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Congratulations to Emily on turning in the FINAL paper!!![/move]

I have a feeling the Queen contestants will get worse as the week wears on DR MBARNUM....and your birthday/Christmas present is in the US mail! 8)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2003, 09:12:19 AM by JRand53 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2003, 09:15:50 AM »

I'm feeling better than yesterday, DR Ron, thanks for asking. I took Comtrex last night before I went to bed, and it seemed to stave off the flu. Probably its effects are just in my mind, but it works whatever it is!

OMG, DR Ron! Duz! Hadn't thought of that in years. Shows how often I play my LI'L ABNER cast album ("it does things that outdone Duz! / Put 'em back the way they wuz!")
« Last Edit: December 03, 2003, 09:17:47 AM by Matt H. »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2003, 09:19:03 AM »

Re Gregory Harrison and Catalina - his partner in that venture was my first writing agent, Mr. Frank Levy, who died much too young.

Danise

« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2003, 09:25:22 AM »

Sorry, DR Matt--I didn't pick up on your not feeling well.  Good vibes to you and all who don't feel well.  'Tis the season...  Fa la la la la la la la Awwwww!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2003, 09:38:42 AM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2003, 09:25:57 AM »

OMG DR MATTH!  I had never understood that line in that song!  And now it all makes sense!

I have only done the show once....and just did the makeup so I didnt' see a libretto or score!  OMG!

I am laughing now almost 50 years after it was written!

My favorite lyric of the piece is still:

"....they was long, lean and lanky
but they loved hanky panky....
and they made the bood-war buzz....
put 'em back the way they wuz!"  

Or sumpin like dat!

OH DR Danise - how did you manipulate your photo?  It is too funny!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2003, 09:26:47 AM by JRand53 »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2003, 09:35:19 AM »

S. Woody, S. Woody, Bo B. Woody
Banana Fanna, Fo F. Woody
Me My Mo M. Woody
S. Woody.

Somehow, it doesn't play the same, does it?

::)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2003, 09:37:24 AM »

Jack Jack Bo Back
Banana fanna fo Fack
Fi fie fo mo Mack....Jack

I don't think I am doing that right.

Danise

« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2003, 09:48:33 AM »

OH DR Danise - how did you manipulate your photo?  It is too funny!

I used MS Picture It.  I just found the hat, candy cane, bag and snow flakes and compressed them down to a size that would work and pasted them into the photo.  Easy.  That's one thing I like about Picture It--it comes with so many graphics you can use.  

I was going to to put a Christmas tree behind me but thought that might be a bit much.  

I love what you can do with a computer and digtial camera.  I was never into taking pictures before but now I try to carry my camera around just  for fun.

I never do manage to have it with me when I really wish I did.  I'd have given anything to get a picture of Bear when that car backfired.  I wish I could have shared that with you all.  It was sooo funny.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2003, 09:49:49 AM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2003, 09:54:17 AM »

Here's a question for BK and all the Hainsies and Kimlets: How much decorating do you do for the holidays?  This counts for both exterior and interior decorating.

When I was growing up, we generally had the tree with a hodge-podge of ornaments that had we collected over the years, a creche, and a wall hanging made of felt that my mother had made (another tree, in abstract, with lots of sequins and other pretty things on the "ornaments").  Outside, we had a simple string of lights along the front edge of the roof, and a wreath on the front door.

Der Brucer and I have never decorated before this year, simply because there was no reason to, as we rarely if ever had visitors to our home in Long Beach.  This year, our first in Rehoboth Beach, we've got his family to entertain, which means putting up a tree.  Der Brucer has a spot at the front window picked out for it's display, and found a sturdy box to set it on so that the dogs can't get to it easily.  And somehow I'm going to deal with my fear of heights as I put up a string of lights along the front edge of the roof.

Yesterday, we had to do some shopping for said family.  His daughter had her eye on a fibre-optic snowman at Lowe's Hardware, but the store nearest her had sold out.  We found the same at the store nearest us, and I have to say it is the ugliest damn thing I can think of for putting on a front yard.  The good news is that their house is set way back in the woods, so no one can even see their yard.  It cost eighty bucks, which I would rather have seen spent elsewhere (like the lad's college education funds), but there is no accounting for taste.

I want to find a wreath.  The front door looks empty.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
    • Our Wedding:  The Musical
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2003, 09:55:27 AM »

Dear BK, although I adore the club sandwich (my friend Steve on tour used to make fun at me because I ALWAYS ordered that) I will never call it a RBSTHBTLTTISLYCBGYMAI.  How the heck do you pronounce that, anyway?  Reminds me of Big Bird's alphabet song on Sesame Street:  "Ab cdefghi jklmnop qrstuvwxyz..." (pronounced ab kadeffgi jekkyl manop querstoov wicksiz).

DH Noel, in the immortal words of The Eagles, "Lighten up while you still can; Don't even try to understand."

Which leads me back to yesterday.  DRs MattH and Ron, I agree that Clay was overall golden on his performances, and Vincent stuck out as uncharacteristically bad.  But Matt, you're right, he could have done it well but he just "didn't get it".  I think if he had bothered to do some thinking about what the song meant, and didn't try to embellish it so much, he could have done a nice job.  The backstage story is interesting in that it shows how the producers manipulate the show, but it doesn't excuse Clay's choice to make the song (like everything else he sang) a friggin' Vegas Lounge Lizard riff-fest.  It's a beautiful, simple song of compassion to a troubled soul.  It does not need, and in fact suffers from, embellishment.  Clay's inability to leave it alone told me that he's not much of an artist.  But what can you expect from AI, you just have to accept it for what it is and not expect true artistry from it.  
Farmer, pointing the way with radish.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2003, 10:07:14 AM »

Dear Reader Charles Pogue:

I just read in today's L.A. Times about the situation your wife walked into when she arrived at work yesterday.  How horrible!  Please extend my sincere hopes to Julieanne that she is OK.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2003, 10:09:03 AM »

S. Woody, when I was a kid we would haul out the boxes of Christmas stuff from the attic, which included the fake tree (which we would have to unbend and readjust) and all the decorations for the tree and the house, including the stockings and stuff.  It was a yearly ritual and every year I looked forward to seeing those same decorations again.  The stockings were hand-decorated by my uncles and aunts when they were kids with glitter and glue (sometimes you would find unclaimed stocking stuffers from the previous year hiding in the toes) and the nativity figures were all chipped, and some of them were duplicates of each other.  I think we had like 5 wise men, different kinds of sheep, two baby Jesuses (Jesi?), several figures who could have been either shepherds or Josephs, and a whole choir of various shapes and sizes of seraphim.  But I loved doing the nativity scene and would spend hours blocking it, placing and re-placing the figures.  Now it seems too religious for our household, especially at the Mother-in-Law's place.  I had to beg and plead and nag just to get a damn tree this year.

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2003, 10:12:11 AM »

Also, S. Woody, if you're anywhere near a woodsy area or a nursery, you might find it satisfying -- therapeutic, in fact -- to pick up some evergreen branches and some green twine or pipe cleaners and make your own wreath.  It's pretty easy.

Jennifer

« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2003, 10:23:05 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up