Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: CONNECTING THE DOTS  (Read 59536 times)

Danise

Re:CONNECTING THE DOTS
« Reply #120 on: March 20, 2006, 11:33:11 AM »

I agree with you, Danise! I am such a disappiontment to  DRs Kerry and MusicGuy, because I just don't get art.

Well, at least we're honest about it.   :)
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #121 on: March 20, 2006, 11:55:40 AM »

Art is in the eye of the beholder...
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #122 on: March 20, 2006, 12:00:00 PM »

Well, seriously about those paintings that look like someone just threw up on them.  Do people like them because they are some kind of art or are they really to scared to say “That looks like crap!” for fear of not sounding sophisticated enough?  

I’ve seen an elephant who could paint just as well (if not better!) then some of those kind of works.  :)

David Letterman had a running segment last year called "Man or Monkey" in which he and Paul Shaeffer had to guess whether the artist of a presented painting was a man or an ape.  The artists was always a monkey, but it seemed that Letterman would always guess wrong.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jennifer

« Reply #123 on: March 20, 2006, 12:04:28 PM »

For American Idol fans I just read this interesting prediction for Final 3 (simon's prediction).

Think about who you think will be final 3 and who you think HE WILL say will be final 3.

http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/american-idol-5-judge-simon-cowell-predicts-season-final-three-1007687.php

Jennifer

« Reply #124 on: March 20, 2006, 12:06:20 PM »

Re: the link I just gave for Simon's American Idol picks.

I knew he'd say Chris. But I really thought he'd say Katharine. I also thought he might say Taylor or Mandissa. I'm actually surprised he said Kellie, even though she is one of my 2 favorite girls.

Tomovoz

« Reply #125 on: March 20, 2006, 12:18:52 PM »

I like the painting by the guy they did the musical about.

Hello Dali
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

FJL

« Reply #126 on: March 20, 2006, 12:29:08 PM »

Happy birthday to DR Rodzinski!!!  

I celebrate this day by looking through the Playbill for the 2002 California presentation of 70, GIRLS, 70 (which starred Ms. Charlotte Rae), and knowing that the Playbill for the Encores presentation (which will also star Ms. Charlotte Rae) will be even better.  

FJL

« Reply #127 on: March 20, 2006, 12:30:02 PM »

Healing vibes to DR Elmore.  

FJL

« Reply #128 on: March 20, 2006, 12:32:29 PM »

Topic of the day:  Do the logos for FOLLIES and GODSPELL count as favorite paintings?

I'm also partial to a painting by Roy Lichtenstein (sp?), in which a woman is drowning with a ship in the distance and it had a cartoon-like caption saying "I'd rather drown than ask Brad for help."  I think it's called Drowning Girl, and I wrote a paper about it in high school.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2006, 12:36:52 PM by FJL »

FJL

« Reply #129 on: March 20, 2006, 12:44:12 PM »

I had an argument with my teacher about what Lichtenstein's "Drowning Girl" really meant.  Whether she's saying that she'd rather sink than have to rely on anybody else (my point of view), or whether she's accept help from anyone else except for that one person (my teacher's point of view).  I still got an A on the paper, though, IIRC.  :)

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #130 on: March 20, 2006, 12:59:24 PM »

I am rather fond of this one because some days I really can relate to it:
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Tomovoz

« Reply #131 on: March 20, 2006, 01:03:14 PM »

In self-portraits is "I in the Art of the beholder?"
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #132 on: March 20, 2006, 01:13:02 PM »

It is just downright COLD! We had some sleet this afternoon!

When I went out to lunch, I was dressed as if it were the dead of winter rather than the first day of spring. And the house feels cold despite the heat running.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #133 on: March 20, 2006, 01:14:55 PM »

When I got in, I finished the DVD of MAKING LOVE which I begun last night before prime time TV started. Just as bittersweet as it always was.

Matt H.

« Reply #134 on: March 20, 2006, 01:16:23 PM »

For the remaining 90 minutes of the afternoon, I thought I'd watch a Miss Marple mystery, but not the last of the Rutherfords which I haven't gotten to.

No, instead I put in AT BERTRAM'S HOTEL. Joan Hickson is as wonderful as ever, Joan Greenwood has a field day as a notorious gossip, and George Baker, always a favorite, plays the chief inspector.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2006, 01:17:01 PM by Matt H. »

Tomovoz

« Reply #135 on: March 20, 2006, 01:18:38 PM »

When I got in, I finished  MAKING LOVE which I begun last night before prime time TV started. Just as bittersweet as it always was.
Ah! memories.
James Thurber 1957

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #136 on: March 20, 2006, 01:30:43 PM »

For the remaining 90 minutes of the afternoon, I thought I'd watch a Miss Marple mystery, but not the last of the Rutherfords which I haven't gotten to.

No, instead I put in AT BERTRAM'S HOTEL. Joan Hickson is as wonderful as ever, Joan Greenwood has a field day as a notorious gossip, and George Baker, always a favorite, plays the chief inspector.

I love Joan Greenwood.  I always thought she'd have made a terrific Desiree in "A Little Night Music"...although I don't know if she sang or not.  She would not have done any worse, I don't suppose, than Jean Simmons or La Liz.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #137 on: March 20, 2006, 01:35:57 PM »

for reasons I detailed last time this TOD came up, I would have the start with the Blue Man Group:
Gainsborough's "Blue Boy"

Sir Joshua Reynold's "Mrs. Siddons as the Tragic Muse"

and Sir Thomas Laurence's "Pinky"

all three of which reside on separate walls in the same room in the Huntington Estate in San Marino, right next to Pasadena, where I used to spend glorious afternoons when I was at Caltech, studying in the gardens and admiring the rotating display of William Blake watercolors.

Amazing when you do a Google search how the Internet versions of the same painting vary in color and tone--and none do the original justice at all, of course.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2006, 01:46:23 PM by William F. Orr »
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #138 on: March 20, 2006, 01:43:23 PM »

Good Afternoon!

I've descended the Stage Left staircase and I'm back in the theatre.  -The wireless connection doesn't reach the seventh floor.  Yet.  ;)

I got a lot of good work done.  Practiced some tricky passages.  Wrote in some fingerings.  Checked some notes.  Found some "new" sounds.  And when I reached the end of my book, I stopped.  There are a few numbers that are currently being edited, and I hope I can go through those tomorrow.  However, I am feeling much, much better about the part and my playing of the part.  Undoubtedly, there are some passages which can only really be "tested" in a run, but at least the notes and patterns aren't so foreign to my fingers and brain now.

Practice.  Practice.  Practice.
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #139 on: March 20, 2006, 01:44:14 PM »

Amazing when you do a Google search how the Internet versions of the same painting vary in color and tone--and none do the original justice at all, of course.

It's so true!  I could not find a great picture of the Prendergast watercolor I posted.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #140 on: March 20, 2006, 01:45:20 PM »

Good Afternoon!

I've descended the Stage Left staircase and I'm back in the theatre.  -The wireless connection doesn't reach the seventh floor.  Yet.  ;)

I got a lot of good work done.  Practiced some tricky passages.  Wrote in some fingerings.  Checked some notes.  Found some "new" sounds.  And when I reached the end of my book, I stopped.  There are a few numbers that are currently being edited, and I hope I can go through those tomorrow.  However, I am feeling much, much better about the part and my playing of the part.  Undoubtedly, there are some passages which can only really be "tested" in a run, but at least the notes and patterns aren't so foreign to my fingers and brain now.

Practice.  Practice.  Practice.

DR Jose, if you see Paul Holderbaum of Chelsea Music, tell him hello!  He's a really great guy.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #141 on: March 20, 2006, 01:49:02 PM »

After posting those pictures, it occurred to me to go to the web site of the Huntington Library itself, and I have modified my post.  Yes, these jpegs from the gallery where the paintings reside are definitely truer renderings than any others I googled.
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #142 on: March 20, 2006, 01:51:52 PM »

DR Jose, if you see Paul Holderbaum of Chelsea Music, tell him hello!  He's a really great guy.

Will do.  However, I believe the Chelsea folks are off-premises today.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #143 on: March 20, 2006, 01:53:11 PM »

Travel update:  DH Richard has returned home from Eau Claire, WI, ahead of the snowstorm.  My niece called about an hour ago to report her safe arrival, too.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #144 on: March 20, 2006, 01:55:58 PM »

Elmore tripped the light un-fantastic! Sorry about the fall. Now you will think of my birthday as a day where you fell :(

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #145 on: March 20, 2006, 01:57:28 PM »

I'm wondering when DR Jose will get around to writing a book about "this phase" of his life.

He can call it:

"My Right Foot...no..My Left Foot...No..it's My Right..No My Left...Foot!"

(I just did some catching up from yesterday's posts!  :D )

Actually, that whole "title" could apply to my keyboard set-up here at The Palace too.  I'm dealing with four pedals with this set-up.  Usually, it's just three, and sometimes those are hard to maneuver at times.  But four... Hmm...  But again... Practice, Practice, Practice.

*And for those musico-technologically minded, the four foot pedals I'm dealing with are: damper (sustain), volume, patch/program change, and modulation.  It's the modulation one I'm not used to dealing with, but due to some of the programming, it's a necessary evil at this point.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #146 on: March 20, 2006, 02:01:43 PM »

Oh...

And it seems that there are lot of foodies and chocoholics in the cast and crew.  In fact, one of the director's assistants happened to leave a couple of bars of various English chocolate bars on the tech table - Cadbury, Green & Black's, Bounty, etc.

Consequently, I've been taking the stairs up to the seventh floor today.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #147 on: March 20, 2006, 02:02:57 PM »

I've always loved "Pinky," too ever since seeing it in person many years ago.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #148 on: March 20, 2006, 02:03:27 PM »

LIGHT FANTASTIC, the soundtrack LP I found, pictured below, is some sort of smaller movie. Jean Shepherd, the author of A CHRISTMAS STORY actually acted in it. The cover is rather striking, which is why I bought it. This cropped image is from ebay 'cause I didn't have a chance to photograph my copy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #149 on: March 20, 2006, 02:03:34 PM »

DR Dan (the Man) - Any mail for you today?
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Up