Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: AUTHOR'S NOTE  (Read 21213 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
AUTHOR'S NOTE
« on: December 04, 2003, 12:06:51 AM »

Well, you've read today's unwieldy notes and you know that there is more than one topic, so don't tarry and dally, let's get some postin' goin' on, shall we?  Yes, let's get a volley going.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2003, 12:06:03 AM by bk »

Jed

Re:AUTHOR'S NOTE
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2003, 12:19:35 AM »

Just missed the time cutoff from yesterday's notes...

Tom from Oz posted:
LC was last heard of in France!
JED: We will still glady accept a photo of the Ghost Of Christmas Present in purple tights!
A 30" step. One "small" step for mankind but surely not for a ghost.

France, eh?  Must have missed the announcement on that one.  Thanks for the info, Tom.

A 30" step ain't bad at all... except when it's vertical and you're wearing tights. :D

Today's Topics...

I very, very rarely go to the movie theater, so I don't have a whole lot to offer here.  Only recent one I've seen was Mystic River, which I did find quite well done, but not as mind-blowingly wonderful as some have made it out to be.

Ice cream, now this is a subject I can talk about!  My top pick would be Ben & Jerry's Coffee Heath Bar Crunch.  Absolutely yummilicious.  Other B&J favorites are Mint Chocolate Cookie and Everything But The...

Really wishing I hadn't finished the vanilla I had in my freezer last night!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2003, 12:30:49 AM »

We have not seen a movie at the cinema since "Nemo". May possibly go and see "Master & Servant". "The Leopard" has just been reissued at the movies here. I assume it has already been released in North America in its new "restored" state.

Ice-cream: Not many flavours I would avoid but I always go back to the Berry flavours. Strawberry is always there.
Whoops! I don't think there was an announcement re LC in France. I know people!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2003, 12:42:57 AM »

Good night from the land of the vegemite sandwich and the violet crumble.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2003, 12:57:03 AM »

My movie pick:  LOVE ACTUALLY.  I also enjoyed MASTER & COMMANDER.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2003, 12:58:17 AM »

Yes... I'm still up... It's so late now, it's practically early!  Ah, well...

Movies - I see about two or three movies in a movie theatre.  I like movies, but with my schedule and line of work...  And by the time I can see a movie I want to see, it's already ended it's run.  I did see Finding Nemo, L'Auberge Espagnole and Chicago in a theatre this year... and I really think that's been it - WOW!   I am pathetic!  ;)  I usually end up catching up via DVD, HBO and Showtime.

Now as for ice cream... Not too many flavors I don't like...  Ben & Jerry's - New York Super Fudge Chunk, Everything But The..., Makin' Whoopee, Cherry Garcia, Phish Phood, etc.. and a bunch of flavors in their "flavor graveyard" - I especially miss Mandarin Orange Chocolate.  I recently tried Haagen-Dasz Tres Leches Cake Ice Cream - nice flavor.  But my favorite flavor has to be - and I've mentioned this before - Cinna-Bean from Bev's Ice Cream in Richmond, VA.  Cinnamon ice cream with chocolate covered espresso beans.  Sooo good!  And quite the sugar/caffeine buzz too!  Oh, and sometimes the sugar/caffeine drop.  Ah, well...

Speaking of drop... I better get to bed... I have understudy rehearsal in eight hours.  YIKES!!!!  -Which means I will have to be in five hours... Well, that's enough...  -Now, I just have to check the weater report to see what the wintry mix forecast has been updated to.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2003, 01:01:35 AM »

Oh, and I did see a bunch of movies on the various plane rides I took - I saw four on the trip to Syndey alone!  Let's see... Down With Love, Bend It Like Beckham, Daddy Day Care, some independent film with Scott Baio in it, Bruce Almighty, and some film with James Marsden... dealt with choosing the right road, living your life, etc...  ???

Yes, I do need to get to bed... SLEEP!
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2003, 03:01:03 AM »

Well hmmmmmmmmmmm.......butter pecan ice cream.

Movies:

Master and Commander and Seabiscuit.

And a less recent but available on DVD movie called Big Eden.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Michael

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2003, 03:08:18 AM »

Fvaorite flavors coffee and Mocca
Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2003, 04:39:06 AM »

DR Michael Shayne - is that Richard Denning?

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2003, 04:43:14 AM »

Jose: Brandon Lee was the actor who died in the making of The Crow. That movie is so weird...

Thank you all for your angry comments :)...the security officer is known for being a jerk anyway, I don't think it would do much to complain. He's the kind of person who looks really funny when he smiles, because you've never seen that side of him before. While the principal might say something like, "Apologize.", nothing would really happen. Ah well, such is life.

I spoke to WFO a few weeks ago. He has some major things going on in his life aside from the trial. Although we all miss him and want him back, his major priorities are with his family right now. But he DOES miss us! Keep on sending the good vibeage!

I haven't seen any movies recently...I think the last one was SCHOOL OF ROCK, which I wouldn't reccomend anyone seeing...and before that, it was Pirates of the Caribbean...but my parents went and saw ELF and loved it.

Ice Cream= Any of the various and sundry coffee flavors that Starbucks puts out. They're WONDERFUL!

Off to school, see y'all later.
...Walk in the sunshine...

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2003, 06:23:50 AM »

Yesterday was a deeply frustrating day.
I'd hoped to mail out Christmas Cards,
which will also announce our wedding
and the availability of the CD
of Our Wedding - The Musical
(which would make a great Christmas gift
-- hence the time pressure).

I could not, for the life of me, figure out how to make MS Word take our photo and put it four times on a page.  It would seem easy enough.  I can quarter a page easily on WordPerfect, but this had me absolutely stymied, and the copy shop was no help.

Then, I started work on addresses, and I know I'm missing a lot of people.  Adding to my address list is another long and laborious process.  I've only just recently learned how to "paste" as plain text.  Used to be I'd be carrying over codes and formatting from the previous document.

I suspect I'll be increasingly e & t over the next month.  There's simply too much to do.  Today, I'll be working from 10 a.m. until 11 p.m. and Friday's that university gig.  So those Christmas cards are unlikely to get printed before Saturday, a day when I've a gig at 9 a.m., 7 p.m. and 10:30 p.m.  I'll miss you all.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2003, 06:31:15 AM »

I rarely see new movies - 99% of them don't interest me - but I did see ANYTHING BUT LOVE.  It's not great but it's very good and at least it's a musical, a form that is (CHICAGO notwithstanding) almost dead.

Tonight NEVER GONNA DANCE opens.  It is the best musical I've seen in years, and the first time I came home from a show and immediately ordered tickets to see it again before the discount offers are withdrawn.  While I would have preferred an original score, the Kern score is full of gems, expertly arranged, and most of the songs actually fit the plot situation and are not "shoehorned" in.  The script is funny.  The sets and costumes are beautiful but do not overpower the show itself.  There is not one miscast actor in the show.  Noah and Nancy may not be Fred and Ginger but they are damn good anyway, and Karen is as wonderful as usual.  Peter Bartlett may be overplaying a bit of a stereotyped character, but he is a very funny stereotype.  And best of all is Jerry Mitchell's choreography with every number in a different style from ballroom to tap to Latin to shimmy.

How will the critics react?  Well the audience loved it, almost stopping the show with applause after several of the numbers.  I think a term that may pop up in the reviews is "old fashioned".  That's true, but it is "old fashioned" in only the best ways and as another current Broadway musical puts it "everything old is new again".
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2003, 06:36:05 AM »

DR WEL - I am sending my best vibes to NEVER GONNA DANCE...  I am sure it won't be everybody's type of show, but your description of it makes it seem like exactly the show I would be expecting if I got to see it!

Diane

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2003, 06:54:35 AM »

Last movie I saw was Love Actually and it was fabulous!

Now for Ice cream. Phish Food is always a good choice. Oatmeal Cookie and Chubby Hubbby are also quite yummy  

As for Never Gonna Dance..Not my cup of tea but hopefully it will find it's audience. There have been way to many show's closing  this season. :'(
I LOVE A Piano....

Jennifer

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2003, 07:29:40 AM »

I LOVE chocolate mint chip!

For some reason I have not been to see a movie at the movie theatre in quite a while.  There are a number of videos/dvds I want to see including Daddy Day Care and Bruce Almighty. And I"m sure there must be more.

I did see Finding Nemo and really liked it.

Brrrrr, why is it so cold here? (-15C or so with windchilll would be guess).

MBarnum

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2003, 07:31:00 AM »

I have so been staying away from ice cream, so much so that I can't even remember my favorite flavors! Something with chocolate and cherries always makes me happy though!

Haven't seen any movies at the theater in ages. Want to see ELF and that musical that Danise (I think it was) has mentioned which features Eartha Kit.

Andrea

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2003, 07:33:28 AM »

Brrrrr, why is it so cold here? (-15C or so with windchilll would be guess).

I have no intention myself of leaving the house.

In regards to chocolate and ice cream

Like I may have said, I've give up chocolate except maybe once a week (just in general, exams take my eating habits to hell-- I almost forgot to eat yesterday till 10pm).

Ice cream: I haven't eaten that in four months!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2003, 07:40:25 AM »

Good morning!

And Welcome new DR Diane!  -Although methinks you came out of the lurkers realms, n'est-ce pas?  In any case, Welcome!

It's cold here too.  And the wintry mix "event" for this weekend will now be primarily rain, but we are due do for some sort of freezing precip tonight...  So, if i don't post post-show, it's probably because I'm staying downtown, and not risking it on the roads - well, not risking having to deal with the amazing (in a bad way) amount of stupid drivers in the DC area.

Now that I've slept on it, and read my late/early posts from last night...

Of course, I meant to say I've only three movies in a movie theatre... this year.

Of course, those movie-filled plane rides occured during my mini-world tour... Otherwise, how could I have sampled all that wonderful OZ-ian chocolate.

And, now that I think of it, one of my favorite flavors of cie cream is Breyer's Butter Almond.  Now, I like Butter Pecan, but Butter Almond will always beat Butter Pecan into my shopping cart.  Hmm... An ice cream fight?  -You know what I mean.

Oh, and has anyone been following all the flack that chef, Rick Bayless, has been getting for his Burger King ads?  There was an article in the Food section of the Washington Post yesterday, and I didn't realize some of the reactions were so severe, practically vitriolic.  -Love that word!  I need to check back into egullet.com to observe more of the fireworks!  ;-)  *I wondered about the whole things myself when I first saw the commercial.  *Although, there was a, I guess, sexist, comment about Rachel Ray's endorsement..."Hey, she's a babe.  We expect that."  - ???

Well, I'm babbling already and it's only 10:38am....  Gotta run - Understudy rehearsal from Noon-5:00, and then the show tonight...  Catch you later.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2003, 07:42:13 AM »

"cie cream" - ah, well... Sounds like something you put on your legs...  Well, maybe not ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Diane

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2003, 07:45:31 AM »

Yes..I have been lurking for quite sometime now ;)...Thanks for the warm welcome!!
I LOVE A Piano....

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2003, 07:46:03 AM »

Good morning.  Good day.  How are you this wonderful day?  I am leaving shortly.  I never go see movies so that is why I do these topics every now and then, so we can get some good suggestions.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2003, 07:52:41 AM »

Welcome, new Dear Reader Diane. Glad to have you join us!

Movies: never go
Ice cream: most any kind, as long as there's no coconut. But I rarely eat it.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Jennifer

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2003, 07:53:09 AM »

I wonder if Anything But Love even opened here. Lately many interesting movies seem to only open at one movie theatre downtown, the AMC.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2003, 08:00:23 AM »

I am so out of touch, I do not know the Burger King commercials that DRJose is talking about.  Can someone help me?  ???

Last night's Queen for a Day included an audience that was in town for a hotelier convention...and lunch and a show at the Moulin Rouge was part of the fun.  The requests included blankets for firemen, muskrat traps, a singing audition, and an engine overhaul for a 1946 Pontiac.  The engine overhaul won - and the Queen also got a trip to Hawaii, fashions, a freezer, a washer, and dishes and silverware.  Also, when she got home she could go down to a Ford dealer and pick out a NEW car!

Maybe tonight we will hear some SAD stories.  I know I am not making it up, I remember....

I also hear that President Bush will announce on December 17 - that we going back to the moon and will establish a base there!  Would any other DR like to visit the moon?

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2003, 08:03:34 AM »

The only movie I've seen in a theater since January was MASTER AND COMMANDER, and nI did enjoy it quite a bit.

On DVD I really loved X-2 the other night. I got involved in many of the characters' situations and was anxious to see what happened. And, of course, it was a great set-up for another sequel three years down the road.

FINDING NEMO - goes without saying that it's a riot of fun, color, and sound. Don't miss it.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2003, 08:05:20 AM »

I meant to mention that I am also a GREAT fan of SIX FEET UNDER, so any discussions DR Tom or others want to have about it will be welcomed by me. I think it is simply brilliant television, beautifully acted and so absorbing that I hang on every word and every scene.

Matt H.

« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2003, 08:08:24 AM »

Ice Cream: I had gotten out of the habit until late this summer, the grocery store I go to was having a buy one-get one free sale on Breyer's, so I bought some of their low fat ice cream (mint chocolate chip and a chocolate with chocolate chip variety that I can't remember the flavor name). I allow myself one cup of ice cream a day for dessert as long as I have it in the afternoon.

Of course, that was finished long ago, so I keep my eyes peeled for ice cream specials. I don't pay full price ever. Right now I'm eating Pet's Cherry Vanilla, and it is simply delicious.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2003, 08:09:42 AM by Matt H. »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2003, 08:18:55 AM »

DR MATTH - isn't "buy one get one free" irresistable?

I also enjoy "Six Feet Under" - have some friends who are morticians and the show gets the details right, they say.  I don't know from setting up a funeral.

Jennifer

« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2003, 08:21:12 AM »

DR Emily: If you ordered Wicked, they lowered the price. Make sure you get the lower price.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up