Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: I FELL ON MY ASS  (Read 110207 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:I FELL ON MY ASS
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2006, 08:22:41 AM »

As for "The Aristocats" - Yes, most definitely not dinner-time fair.  And I'm not exactly sure it would be library appropriate unless you monitor the age of the person checking it out.

It is a one-joke film, but it's meant to be that way.  Paul Provenza and Penn Gillette just went out and started filming different comedians doing their particular riff on the joke.  The "spirit" of the joke is the same, as is the punchline, but it's all about the journey so to speak.  Truly an adult film.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2006, 08:23:49 AM »

...And I had no idea that Europe changed their clocks too.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ben

« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2006, 08:26:09 AM »

Yes, they do and for one week it affects listening to live programs on the BBC. I usually listen to Stage and Screen on BBC 3 at 11am on Monday morning. This week it was on at 10am. The same with Desmond Carrington, usually at 2pm on Tuesday but yesterday he was on at 1pm and Showtime (my little corner of the world) is on at 1pm today.

The world goes back to normal on Saturday when most of the U.S. leaps ahead.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2006, 08:26:29 AM »

I suspect the TNT HD station is a recent addition for us, hard to imagine I missed it but then anything is possible.

That's better than enighbors who asked me to help them calibrate their new HDTV. I went there, and they were complaining about how they couldn't see any difference between their standard TV picture on the new HDTV. In fact, they were considering taking back the set because the picture was worse than on their old set.

Turned out, they weren't watching on the high definition channels! They thought watching the standard signal on an HDTV made it high definition! Once I showed them where the HD channels were located on the cable list (way down in the 200s; the standard channels are at the top 2-15) and got the TV calibrated correctly, we turned to a pro football game that was on ABC. They practically cried for joy over what they were seeing. (Once calibrated, even the standard channels looked better than they had been viewing, but TVs with high resolution capability point up the terrible flaws in analog signals thus the poor looking pictures. Digital sets can't expect to do much with analog signals.)
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

FJL

« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2006, 08:27:21 AM »

So, Jose - will you be hanging out in the pit at intermission tonight?  No problem if not, though.  We're looking forward to the show tonight, in any case.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2006, 08:27:32 AM »

Since I just watched "American Idol" via the DVR...

Lisa - ugh.
Ace - Stop whining!  *However, his wrap up clip from the rehearsal sounded much better.
Bucky - Better than last week, but still...
Chris - It would be great if he did end up pulling "My Heart Will Go On" out of his sleeve. ;)
Kelly - Boring.
Taylor - Just OK.
Katharine - "Best vocal of the night" - hmm.. ??? :-\
Paris - I liked it, I guess.
Mandisa - Sort of too "easy" for her tonight/last night.
Elliott - :)

I don't think I could agree with you more!  I thought most were eminently forgettable, as songs.

FINALLY, Simon said what needed saying last week to Chris.  CHANGE IT UP, dude!  I thought Chris was horrific last night.  Don't care what proponents of the song thought...it's same-old, same-old...only an angrier more pain-inducing version.  He's the competition's Johnny One-Note.

Katherine?  What I heard was a series of flat/sharp notes wavering around in her unsteady upper register delivery.  I thought she was appalling.

I liked what Taylor said in his defense: "I wanted to sing a song tonight."  If only he had chosen a better song.

Didn't care for Paris' song choice or delivery.  And she needs to lose that fake hair...and stop dressing like she's some sort of pop princess and just dress simply.

I think Ace, Lisa and Bucky/Paris are in trouble.  There MAY be a surprise in the bottom three.  I pray it isn't Elliot, who was the most pleasing -- even if the tune didn't linger  -- vocalist of the night.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2006, 08:32:50 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2006, 08:31:37 AM »

So, Jose - will you be hanging out in the pit at intermission tonight?  No problem if not, though.  We're looking forward to the show tonight, in any case.

I'll be sure to make my way down the stairs as soon as the intermission starts.  -I will have to start heading back up about five minutes later - in order to free up the elevator for the actors and actresses - but I'll be sure to come down to the pit tonight to say HI!

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2006, 08:32:23 AM »

On the basis of how they performed last night, I think Lisa is the most vulnerable. Singing forgettably in the first position was not helpful to her either.

Funny about Kellie's song "Buckets of Suds." Simon claimed it to be unknown. According to Billboard, it was a #1 hit on the country chart. True, he doesn't claim to be an expert on country music, but certainly if the song was present on the IDOL list of choices, it had to be reasonably well known to SOMEONE for it to be included for choosing.

Matt H.

« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2006, 08:34:46 AM »

I have hated the way Paris has dressed the last few weeks. I thought she looked like Olivia Newton-John at the end of GREASE last night. Ridiculous!

However, her telephone line was constantly busy on the exchange here. I think she's got lots of fans and will be safe for awhile.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2006, 08:35:48 AM »

...And please feel free to post your thoughts and opinions about the show here on HHW - the good, the bad and the (hopefully not) ugly.  Yes, I do have some "investment" in the show, but my name does not appear on the title page, so...  I am just the piano player.  Well, just the Keyboard III player.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2006, 08:35:51 AM »

Jose - Cool, we'll see you - briefly :) - and of course hear you tonight!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2006, 08:35:58 AM »

You could do that.  But also, if you find a picture on the internet that you want to use, you can right click (on a PC, I don't know about Macs) and save it somewhere on your computer.  Then when you reply to or quote a message (not in the "Quick-Reply" box at the bottom of a page), just above the "Post - Preview - Reset Form" buttons is a box that's labeled "Attach:" and a "Browse..." button.  Click "Browse" and find the picture file that you've saved, click on that file, then click "Open" and then "Post" your message.  HOWEVER you can't preview with the picture.  You can preview the text all you want but only "Attach" the picture when you're ready to "Post."  The thing that you can't do is make the picture move, like you can with a linked picture from another website.  Make sense?? :)

Yes, i think... I shall have to try...

Other message boards I have been on you can only link so attaching is a first.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2006, 08:36:28 AM »

On the basis of how they performed last night, I think Lisa is the most vulnerable. Singing forgettably in the first position was not helpful to her either.

Funny about Kellie's song "Buckets of Suds." Simon claimed it to be unknown. According to Billboard, it was a #1 hit on the country chart. True, he doesn't claim to be an expert on country music, but certainly if the song was present on the IDOL list of choices, it had to be reasonably well known to SOMEONE for it to be included for choosing.

As for "Idol" offering a list of choices, I don't have a clear idea of what, if anything, the show offers in the way of an "approved" list.  Apparently, based on Simon's remark, they had thousands of songs to choose from in all genres for the last six years.  Virtually every song written, within reason, was apparently available.  Since the judges often complain about the choices made, I have my doubts that anything "approved" amounts to more than a list of songs that don't contain obscene lyrics.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2006, 08:40:20 AM »

Clay mentioned once in a interview that the list wasn't all that inclusive. From what I understood from him, they have a list of songs available. If the artist wants something else, the producers will attempt to clear the rights, but there's never any guarantee they'll get what they want. He found, more often than not, that it was easier to stick to their approved list.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2006, 08:41:57 AM »

"AI" talk continued...

"Drops of Jupiter" is actually a good song, imho.  Ace just did not sing it well at all.  Well, he did not sing well last night, period.  My roomies have saved all the AIs on the DVR, and went back a couple of weeks to contrast and compare.  Ace is definitely singing differently now - he's being coached differently and/or trying to up his competitive edge (but the in the wrong way).

*I probably would have enjoyed Chris singing "Drops of Jupiter", however.

And I wonder if the judges will go back to the tape and actually hear what came across the airwaves in Katharine's performance.  -However, she looked good last night.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2006, 08:42:12 AM »

Heading down now for lunch preparation.

WBBL.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2006, 08:46:53 AM »

As for "Idol" offering a list of choices, I don't have a clear idea of what, if anything, the show offers in the way of an "approved" list.  Apparently, based on Simon's remark, they had thousands of songs to choose from in all genres for the last six years.  Virtually every song written, within reason, was apparently available.  Since the judges often complain about the choices made, I have my doubts that anything "approved" amounts to more than a list of songs that don't contain obscene lyrics.

Clay mentioned once in a interview that the list wasn't all that inclusive. From what I understood from him, they have a list of songs available. If the artist wants something else, the producers will attempt to clear the rights, but there's never any guarantee they'll get what they want. He found, more often than not, that it was easier to stick to their approved list.

Yep - It's all about getting the clearances from the record companies, publishers and artists (reps).  I have a sense that the current "list" is comprised of anything that's ever made it to the Billboard charts.  However, not all songs may get the go ahead to be performed on the broadcast.
Make Your Own Luck.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2006, 08:50:54 AM »

...And I had no idea that Europe changed their clocks too.

Yes... It used to raise havoc with my dxing...

DXing is a term used by shortwave, medium wave (American AM stations), and long wave enthusiasts who search for different stations and then they send in a report that they received a signal from them. For me it was a bit more of a challenge to get the signals from some places due to the fact of living in the middle of teh North American continent. It hs been really interesting some of the neat things I have gotten over the years. Alas, in the last few years it is a practice that is not done as much as many broadcasters such as the BBC, VOA and others are opting for webcasting.

Some of the countries I got postcards, schedules or little trinkets and even a few t-shirts along the way include Peru, Australia, New Zealand, India, Indonesia, China, Japan, Canada, Brazil, Cuba, Ecuador, Mexico, Nigeria, South AFrica, Israel, Austria, Germany, France, Russia, Netherlands, Norway, Danmark,  Czechoslovakia (I received this postcard of the state broadcaster before the country broke into two distinctive countries), Italy and Switzerland.... A few pirate stations also..    These are the shortwave ones I recall..

I used to also do dxing of AM (Medium wave) stations and got some as far west as Missoula, Montana and Denver, Colorado. My furthest north stations was Winnepeg and Emerson, MB. AS far east os Detroit, MI and Louisville, KY. The furthest south station I got was Dallas, TX. The rockies prevented me from getting AM signals that were west of the rockies...
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2006, 08:52:38 AM »

Hiya, kidz!

Well, THAT was one eventful weekend, I tell ya!

The run-through on Saturday ended just as the house opened. I was on the horn every few minutes , saying stuff like "Petur, we have to keep going..." and "you have eleven minutes until the house opens..." and "it is half hour - everyone off the stage!"

I did get about 40 minutes with the techie before the rehearsal started to program the simplest of cues. The "direktor" added a couple of blackouts-with-CD-cues, so there were three-count-'em-three spots in the show where the tech went behind the equipment and I took the light board for a simultaneous cue...

Oh! And I forgot to tell you - in order to have FULL stage lighting for the BIG dances, there are three separate, manually-operated switches BACKSTAGE, that had to be turned on and off -- by the Bulgarian-wrangler (my guy backstage who corrals and then lines up people for the next ensemble) on an ONSTAGE MUSIC CUE, since we had no headsets for communication between the booth and backstage.

And -- the show went seamlessly. Without a hitch. I was so focussed and determined, and had everything so tight, that there were no mistakes AT ALL. Once in awhile, a dancer missed a step. Once or twice, the intonation of a song was suspect (although it's really hard to tell with that music!!) -- but the show ran perfectly.

The Seattle P-I review mentioned that the show ran "seamlessly". That was me. I was so In The Zone!!! I just LOVED it!!!!!

Now ask me how was the car....
PennyO

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2006, 08:54:00 AM »

...And speaking of "clearances"...  OH!  And this could be a question for Ask BK Day too!!!...

A company in Richmond mounted Pete 'n' Keely a few years ago.  -And our very own BK produced the cast album.  Alas, the version of the show they were able to do was quite different from the original due to the various songs that were not cleared for release to be a part of the licensed version.  The whole "Cross Country Tour" section was particularly affected.  So...

BK - Did you have issues with the various "agencies" when it came time to record the album?  -I seem to remember hearing stories that you did, but that memory is very foggy right now.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2006, 08:56:13 AM »

Yep - It's all about getting the clearances from the record companies, publishers and artists (reps).  I have a sense that the current "list" is comprised of anything that's ever made it to the Billboard charts.  However, not all songs may get the go ahead to be performed on the broadcast.

That makes sense.

Simon Cowell:  I find myself, more often than not, agreeing with him about the performances (??!!??!! @$#)%&), but he still manages to be offensive...making that asinine comment about Taylor's outfit looking like Clay Aiken.

From what I remember about Clay's attire on the show, he more often than not wore oxford (or other buttoned) shirts and slacks.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2006, 08:59:31 AM by Ron Pulliam »

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2006, 09:01:35 AM »

The car? Funny you should ask...

When Radost asked me to run this show, I said I would do it if a) they got a donor to contribute frequent flyer miles, and b) they found me a car.

No problem.

The car was a 1980 Toyota Celica. It seemed to be driving just fine. Got up to the cabin, down to Friday's rehearsal, back to the cabin. Drove it down for the Saturday run-through and concert, and back up to the cabin.

Sunday, I'm on my way down to a friend's 50th birthday party. I got down the mountain, and I'm on Hwy 2, between the tiny towns of Index (where I pick up my mail) and Gold Bar (where the grocery store is). Suddenly, I notice that the temperature indicator is WAY over into the RED!!!! Pull over!!! Where???? Half a mile later, a turn-out!

Long story short, I am now a triple-A member, who can't get Triple A-Plus until the second tow... so it only cost me $140 to get towed to Redmond WA. Then the driver took me to the birthday party. I stayed overnight, took her car up to the cabin on Monday to get my stuff, shut down the pump, close up the house.

So anyway, the woman who owns the car is still in Israel for the next 6 weeks, and her radiator, hoses, water pump and a lotta other stuff have to be replaced. It was ALL still original equipment... and I had nothing to do with it. But, still... it happened while I was driving it... oh, well...
PennyO

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2006, 09:03:28 AM »

DR PennyO - Glad to hear the show went off without a hitch.

And even better to know that you were on top of the car conditions too.
Make Your Own Luck.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2006, 09:06:32 AM »

DR PennyO, glad to hear everything went well!

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2006, 09:07:02 AM »

And I'm looking forward to seeing DECEIT this weekend with our dear Bruce in a role tailor-made for him! I had the pleasure of performing onstage with him a number of times in the distant past, and of seeing him in leading roles in classic plays. It will be a nostalgia-rush to see him up there in the lights again...
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2006, 09:07:48 AM »

Thanks, Jose - congrats on Lestat, honeyboy!
PennyO

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2006, 09:07:54 AM »

Not good on the car though...

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2006, 09:08:59 AM »

Today is a glorious sunshiney day - I will head to the shower, and then take out the little dawg... bye, until later.
PennyO

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2006, 09:23:10 AM »

General comment - which I guess could be rephrased into a question!

Australians and Brits consider the use of the word "Ass" by Americans as a touch "precious". Does the word have a legitimacy in it's use as a synonym for arse or is it a colloquilism only?

Do Canadians use the term in the same way?

It's a common term...not colloquial at all.  It means butt, buttocks, rear-end, bottom, etc.  I cannot speak for Canada, but "arse" is a variation of "ass" in the Webster's Dictionary.  I've only ever heard a Brit use "arse".

I think it funny other English-speaking peoples would find our use of the word "ass" as "precious"...especially given the British use of the word "brilliant"...the food was brilliant, the day was brilliant, the sex was brilliant, the sky was brilliant, the repairman-who-replaced-a-fuse was brilliant, the favor-the-next-door-neighbor performed was brilliant...every bloody thing that hasn't an ounce of a capacity to "be" brilliant is pronounced "brilliant."

;)

« Last Edit: March 29, 2006, 09:25:31 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2006, 09:30:50 AM »

Ass.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Up