Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: THE JOGGING JEW  (Read 35934 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE JOGGING JEW
« on: April 04, 2006, 12:10:37 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes have both moved and repelled you, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're off jogging right now.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 12:24:24 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE JOGGING JEW
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 12:10:58 AM »

And the word of the day is: MISNOMER!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 12:41:14 AM »

Hmmm

The strangest food I have come across: Rocky Mountain Oysters, Lutefisk, blood sausage...

NDSU Infamous Nameless Glop was an experience...Ingredients were not indentifiable....
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 12:52:14 AM »

Well, I must go to sleep now.  I have a dental appointment in the morning and must floss and brush my teeth.  Sadly, I haven't flossed in quite a while ::) so I really have to get going.  Fortunately, they always say that my teeth are good.  They're not pearly white, but I haven't had a cavity since high school, so I must be doing something right...except for the flossing.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2006, 04:19:17 AM »

Good morning, all!  When the alarm rang at 6:37, I was dreaming that an office typrewiter was eating my notes, and this formidable secretary was rewriting me.  I also had a strange dream involving my father, my brother Tom, and a very cute yellow and gray kitten. In another hour, both wil be even more vague.

DR FJL, the THREEPENNY OPERA script published in the collected works of Brecht and basis for all contemporary translations is not the 1928 Berlin script set by Weill.  Between 1929 and Brecht's death. he revised the libretto twice and rewrote lyrics, all without Weill's input or knowledge.  The original production was a comedy, and it was mostly Elizabeth Hauptmann's translation of John Gay's THE BEGGAR's OPERA, with ammendments to the text and lyrcis - two of which were plagiarized adaptations of Francois Villon - by the mighty Brecht.

A friend of mine worked on the Theatre de Lys BERLIN TO BROADWAY and said that Lenya was always bitching when things varied from her memory of what occurred in the Berlin productions she remembered; then they adjusted staging to please her.  I can't imagine she was any easier on THREEPENNY in 1952-1954.  While I'm a great fan of Blitzstein's adaptation and I think any foreign work needs to be rethought to keep the language up-to-date, I still think no translation sings as well as Blitzstein.  The man gets kicked about in the press on any new THREEPENNY translation, as if to say "he was so wrong and we're so right."  Wrong.  He may have been cautious in 1952, but he provided the right text to make Weill and the piece a success.  And his lyrics, with one exception, make their points with more humor than the original German.  I think his "Useless Song" is not very good and should have had one more rewrite, and some of the "Army Song" could be better.  "Mack the Knife" is a wonderful lyric, and it sets the whole tone of the Blitzstein:  raffish, a bit sleazy, funny, and sinister.

Once I heard that Lucy in this new production was a drag role and Alan Cumming the Macheath, I decided this production was not for me:  this THREEPENNY has more to do with psychosexual fantasies on the director's part than an examination of the original text.  Brecht's notes - which no one's talking about in this production - make it clear the piece is one more Brechtian indictment of capitalism and the bourgeoisie, not clubbing bisexuals and a desire to be outrageous.   They're only talking about Brecht's "grittiness," whatever the hell that is.

Off the soapbox!  Gotta run to meet a friend for breakfast.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2006, 04:46:38 AM »

The Jogging Jew, is that a misnomer?

Another October HHW get together would be faboo! And I'm already here so I won't have to travel or find a place to stay  :D

I have a variety of projects at work to keep me busy. I also have to decide whether to renew my Roundabout subscription. They are responsible for the current production of Threepenny. I'm going to exchange my ticket for an earlier date. I'm scheduled to see the show in May but I might as well get it over with. I don't have high hopes. I'm in a minority but I don't salivate at the thought of listening to anything by Wallace Shawn. I find him to be an overrated, undertalented man. He has written the new book. I don't know if he wrote the translation as well. Roundabout is doing 110 in the Shade next season and I've never seen a production of the show. I love the score. We shall see. I also have to renew my Playwrights Horizon subscription. Much money will be going out in the next couple of months.

I also need to find a cheap flight to Roanoke, VA at some point in June to see Anthony in Beauty and the Beast.

So much to do, so little time. I look forward to a relaxing time with my HHW friends in October. Let's go for it!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 05:19:06 AM by Ben »

FJL

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2006, 05:03:09 AM »

Ok, I'm gonna get controversial here and risk engaging in Brechtian alienation with everyone here who's commented on this THREEPENNY.  :)  OK, I'm kidding about that, but you know what i mean.  I'm very troubled that reports of booing are coming out (the actors don't derserve booing, they're not responsible for the concept) and that the internet has created an environment where a work of art (and this revival, whether it winds up being misguided or brilliant by the time they open qualifies as a work of art in the dictionary sense of those words) is judged so early on and the creators (revivers in this case) must continue to work their craft in a hostile environment.  The Roundabout's other revival, PAJAMA GAME, is a joy, and seems to stay very close to the original in tone, but for all intents and purposes, it might as well have been done by a full-out commercial producer - not complaining, and happy the Roundabout did it, though.  But with THREEPENNY, Roundabout has taken chances, and simply has not been given time to see those chances through - people have already made their minds up before going on based on what they've heard about specifics and I think that's too bad.  The Lucy Brown being played by a man is just not a big deal, it simply throws convention on its ear - if it's a bad choice, at least it's a choice, but when I saw it last week, the actor was still finding his way so it came off a little sloppy.  About the general tone, it takes a lot more to come off "a bit sleazy" or "sinister" these days - at least Scott Elliott and Wallace Shawn are trying something.  

Michael

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2006, 05:24:50 AM »

I don't think I am that adverterous when it comes to food. But when it comes to the TOD I would have to say snails (Escargot)
Never stop dreaming.

Ben

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2006, 05:27:58 AM »

FJL, I do agree with you about the chatter on Internet boards regarding the quality of a show.

As much as I enjoy the Internet, I think the incessant dissection of what's wrong or right with a show after one or two performances, plus the implication by the writer(s) that their OPINION is the one and only correct way to look at a certain show has made it difficult to talk about shows in an intelligent manner. Many times it just boils down to "Did you see/hear what he did??? I hate that. I'm telling everyone what a bad show this is".

I'm not talking about anyone on this board, by the way, I'm speaking of the posts of many Internet theatre posters. The posts become rants and while I'm not against a good rant now and then (TOM DELAY IS LEAVING CONGRESS!!! HOO AND RAY THERE MAY BE HOPE FOR AMERICA!!!) a rant adds nothing to discussion of the quality of a show.

Ben

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2006, 05:30:16 AM »

I've eaten octopus (not crazy about it but it's not as bad as I thought it would be). I have looked at Blood Pudding (AKA black sausage and other things) and I have smelled lutefisk (I grew up in Minnesota) but I have never been brave enough to hold my mouth open long enough to slide some of the offending material down "my gaping maw" to quote a certain "arch"  ;) writer we all know and love.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 05:30:40 AM by Ben »

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2006, 06:03:20 AM »

I rather not talk about the TOD right now--I'm feeling a bit queasy in the stomach this morning.

But I will say that every time I hear or read the name Lucille Bremer, I think of Lucille Benson and I think, "Wow--she didn't age well."
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

MBarnum

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2006, 07:37:59 AM »

I have eaten many strange things...the most bizarre being "chocolate covered ants" back in fourth grade. More recently, at a Chinese restaurant, I had boiled ducks feet and a bowl of tripe.

The strangest thing I have fixed myself would be beef tongue.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2006, 07:49:28 AM »

Eleven posts???  Pardon me whilst I get out the bitch-slap machine.  It's pouring rain here.

My problem on the Internet chat boards are that most of those "reviews" are a) written by teenagers, and b) they call them "reviews" - it's like they're doing a class assignment, and they would fail my class, certainly.  The entire reason they go to previews now is because they cannot wait to run home to post.  That's it, and yes, it's shameful, and yes, it's hard on creative people.  These kiddies really think that the creators should LISTEN to them - the only place creators should LISTEN to audience members is in the theater - their reactions to things will tell them what they need to know or not, just like it worked for decades.  Can you imagine trying out Hello, Dolly! (a show that had a very problematic out-of-town engagement) in an environment like this?  And then there are the shills - actors, behind-the-scenes people or people who are actually paid a small stipend by the publicist to go on chat boards and take on anyone who doesn't like that particular show.  It's happening right now with The Drowsy Chaperone.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2006, 07:55:08 AM »

I have eaten ostrich, kangeroo, escargot and alligator.  I have not ever eaten tripe, tongue,  octopus or squid although I have watched others eat it.

That is al I have to contribute the the TODl
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2006, 07:58:38 AM »

Dear Jose!!! I have just heard a recounting of last nights' events from my mom who got them from my SIL's mom.   (my SIL & Brother were off to Ohio on the redeye  and my niece is at school so I will be hearing from her this afternoon)

:-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Thank you so much!! If any one should be nominated for sainthood it is you, but I will of course not refrain from basking in your reflected glory!!  ;)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 07:59:17 AM by Vixmom »

Ben

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2006, 08:19:16 AM »

I have seen a bowl of tripe. When I was in France in 1988 many of the restaurants served the dish. I would rather have root canal without Novocaine than to eat a bowl of tripe, thank you very much!!!

Ben

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2006, 08:20:08 AM »

Well, at least we now have 16 posts. It's 11:23am. Where is Jose?

vixmom

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2006, 08:21:35 AM »

It's 11:23am. Where is Jose?

He keeps Broadway hours now,   :D and hopefully will so continue for many years to come!!  :D
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 08:36:54 AM by Vixmom »

vixmom

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2006, 08:22:47 AM »

Well, at least we now have 16 posts.

I could always post some more jokes  if necessary.......

that should get a posting frenzy going!!!

Ben

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2006, 08:26:28 AM »

Well, Vixmom, you're at 5929 right now, you could aim for an even 6000 posts by 12 noon. Come on, you can do it. It's only 70 posts  ;D

vixmom

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2006, 08:36:19 AM »

Well, Vixmom, you're at 5929 right now, you could aim for an even 6000 posts by 12 noon. Come on, you can do it. It's only 70 posts  ;D

RLP's gonna get you for urging me on like this!! ;D

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2006, 08:43:12 AM »

I shall now be on my way to LACC, after which I shall return.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2006, 08:44:48 AM »

Good morning!

Simply beautiful day here after a day chock full  o' rain yesterday. A bit cool, but it's still fairly early in spring, so these coolish temperatures are to be expected.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2006, 08:46:03 AM »

I got my friend to the airport, but had to struggle in traffic getting back home. Lanes were blocked due to construction and traffic backed up and very slow moving due to traffic lights. Just tedious to deal with, but back home now and plan to stay here the rest of the day.

vixmom

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2006, 08:47:31 AM »

I'm sure you heard about what happened to Peter Fonda some years back. As a young man he went to the doctor because he was suffering with chest pains. The doc examined him and diagnosed a congenital abnormality--an undersized heart. The physician then prescribed a severe regimen--no drinking, no drugs, no smoking, no coffee, not even any sex. Peter protested and demanded to know why it was necessary. The doctor replied...

"Abstinence makes the heart grow, Fonda."

vixmom

« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2006, 08:48:36 AM »

NEWSFLASH
COLLEGE STATION, TEXAS

Earlier today, the pilot of a small, two passenger private plane apparently lost control of the craft, and plummeted into the private cemetery of the Texas A&M college campus... The Texas Aggie Volunteer Fire Department was immediately dispatched to the scene to aid rescue efforts. Thus far, they have managed to recover 273 bodies

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2006, 08:49:35 AM »

Lovely day here as well.

On the TOD I can only say:  Sue Shee
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2006, 08:50:14 AM »

Another thing I learned from the movies DR RLP - from any office in the Pentagon you can see the Capitol Building....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

vixmom

« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2006, 08:51:05 AM »

a man has a son that was just born without a body, nothing but his head. when the head turned 21 his father decieded they would go and have some beers. So they go to the local pub and the boy gets his first beer, after drinking just a sip he instantly grows a body, then with another drink he grows a set of arms, growing in excitment he drinks the rest and grows legs and feet. He jumps up and down with ellation, he runs out of the bar and directly into the street, he is hit and killed by a semi.

The moral of this story is that you should always quit while you're a head.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 08:51:25 AM by Vixmom »

Matt H.

« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2006, 08:52:29 AM »

I don't think there's any question that Astaire's numbers in ZIEGFELD FOLLIES are the best things in the show. No one else comes close. Apart from Red Skelton's reliably hilarious "Guzzler's Gin," the comedy skits all are weak. Everything that's good involves singing and dancing.

Garland's "Madame Crematon" is not the greatest thing she ever did, but darn if it doesn't get stuck in my head every time I watch this movie, and I do enjoy it for the camp value of it.

How tragic that other things filmed for this movie and cut like Astaire's "If the Swing Goes, I Go, Too" and Jimmy Durante's "The Pied Piper" were all lost in that infamous MGM vault fire, so we'll never see them.

And the finale ("There's Beauty Everywhere") is REALLY bad. Minnelli may have had wonderful taste and a superb eye, but occasionally it went awry, and the finale is about as bad as a musical number can be.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13   Go Up