Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: LIKE A WINGED BIRD  (Read 20688 times)

Ron Pulliam

Re:LIKE A WINGED BIRD
« Reply #180 on: December 05, 2003, 05:32:55 PM »

I appreciate that, Jed.  No comment Matt and Ron!

What could I possibly say???????

(Although I don't see any Marni Nixon in you, either!).
« Last Edit: December 05, 2003, 05:34:58 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Danise

« Reply #181 on: December 05, 2003, 05:33:24 PM »

Good evening all!  Hope you had a happy day!  

I got Mom to get her  shot!  I’m so glad since I heard on the news tonight that they've run out of vaccine.  Of course her arm is hurting her right now and she swears that’s the last time she’s going to listen to me and get the shot.  That’s ok.  I have a whole year before I have to start harping again.  

Finished up most if not all of my Christmas Shopping.  Whoopie!  Now to wrap it all.  

Thanks again for calming my fears about LIFE.  I picked up a couple of stuffed animals today to go with it.  The mail lady will pick it all up tomorrow.

I read Juliana’s Journal.  I’m so glad for her. May it be the first of many, many times she is the star of a show.  I only wish the Millie tour was going to come through Tampa.  I would make it a point to.

As promised, the next cold front announced itself in the breeze today.  You could feel the change in temperature from one hour to the next.  We’re at 59 degrees as I write this and falling.

I guess no one remembers Miss June and Rommper Room?  Always be a Do Bee Never be a Don't Bee.

And of course, Mary Ellen, from our local Channel 13.  I was on that show for my B-day.  I think I was about 6 or 7 at the time.   I got to meet the weather man, Roy Leap and most of the news crew.  I was scared to death because they popped balloons on the show.  

This is going to sound very silly but I am terrified of balloons.  Not the new mylar kind but the old rubber kind.  I had to go to a party where they tied one to every ones chair last year and thought I was going to die!  I was shaking so hard when I finely was able to leave.  I don't know why.  

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #182 on: December 05, 2003, 05:35:17 PM »

Some of us are nearly in our early 80's. Will we get to hear it then?

No, Ozzie, they said in their early 80s.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #183 on: December 05, 2003, 05:36:53 PM »

DR Danise:   Balloons?

The movie "It" must absolutely terrify you.

How do you feel about clowns?

Danise

« Reply #184 on: December 05, 2003, 05:41:16 PM »

Clowns are fine.  Balloons--bad.  I know everyone thinks it funny.  I have a heck of a time on my B-day because they have them at the staff meeting for you.  I never WANT them so they put them on my desk.    I have to get someone to take them away.  I'm serious.  I can't touch them for fear they'll break.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #185 on: December 05, 2003, 05:43:10 PM »

My dear sweet departed cat named "Dickens" was deathly afraid of --- toilet paper spindles.

When a roll of paper was finished and I installed a new one, I took the spindle to my bedroom where Dickens was lolling on my bed.  He was about 5 months old at the time.  One of our favorite games was for me to put a sock on my hand which he attacked over and over...and he loved for me to upend him and make him mad...and then he would get ferocious and put my hand in its place.

I thought we could start something new, and I put the spindle up against his chest and blew into the end nearest me.

That cat totally f-r-e-a-k-e-d and any time he saw a spindle of any kind, he'd head for cover.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #186 on: December 05, 2003, 05:44:47 PM »

I think Mr. Mark Bakalor is doing a great job and has been nothing but helpful in our transitition.  Believe me, I'm as guilty as anyone for asking and expecting him to deal with problems while I'm not being entirely clear about the exact nature of the problem.  He doesn't feel superior, or have delusions (well, he has SOME delusions), he's just trying to get people to really be clear.  I ALWAYS think I'm being clear, but when he finally asks me to really pinpoint something I can see that I haven't been.  And I know for a fact that he has never bood anyone here.

I'm leaving soon - unbelievably long day, and I'm sure tomorrow will be, too.  But I shall be home to post tonight and I hope some of you will be here with me.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #187 on: December 05, 2003, 05:48:37 PM »

Speaking of strange weather (Were we?  Yes!), in Maple Valley, which is to the north and east of George and Ann and I (but not as far east as Jed), they had a bad windstorm yesterday.  My good friends who live up there escaped damage to their own home, but one street over from them, over 150 trees fell on that one street alone.  And here in the Tacoma / Olympia area we didn't even get a breeze!  Very strange!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #188 on: December 05, 2003, 05:49:21 PM »

Also, as I said I most certainly did not invent "Dear Reader" (Stephen King has used it a lot, as have others) but I've been doing the column thing since, I think, 1998, and I have used it from day one, am known for it, and am, I believe, the only one using it in an internet column.  Therefore, for this guy to suddenly throw it in (Mr. Wontorek fully knows who I am and what I do) is more annoying than the Radio Shows and Journals that have popped up since we paved the way.  I mean, I'm flattered and all, but I really would like to drop a safe on broadway.com right now.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #189 on: December 05, 2003, 05:58:59 PM »

Did anyone here know that "Pee Wee's Playhouse" was nearly a 100% copy of "The Pinky Lee Show," right down to its set and Pee Wee's costume?

I found it on the net, I did.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2003, 05:59:22 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Tomovoz

« Reply #190 on: December 05, 2003, 06:09:35 PM »

George: The "Teddy & Roosevelt" is probably not legal - mine is a copy. Good photos etc. "Taken from a Love Sound System Recording at the Minskoff theatre in November 1987". If it can be found in OZ it must surely be easy to find in the USA.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Michael

« Reply #191 on: December 05, 2003, 06:11:14 PM »

Did anyone here know that "Pee Wee's Playhouse" was nearly a 100% copy of "The Pinky Lee Show," right down to its set and Pee Wee's costume?

I found it on the net, I did.

OKAY Who was/is/what was a Pinky Lee?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2003, 06:11:33 PM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #192 on: December 05, 2003, 06:12:21 PM »

I have to admit, DR Michael, I didn't know either, and I've been reading Mandelbaum's Broadway.com column since he started there. I've never read Paul's stuff before. Maybe I'll go back to the website and look at the links to his other pieces and maybe read some of them.

Still don't who this guy is. Where does he post?
Never stop dreaming.

Ben

« Reply #193 on: December 05, 2003, 06:20:19 PM »

Hi, gang,

Just a quick note so you all don't forget me in my errant truantness.

Busy day packing bags. The weekend should be calm. We have had some snow here in NYC so we will just stay in most of the day. I am scheduled to see Juvenalia, a new show at Playwrights Horizions tomorrow evening but otherwise, the weekend will involve long periods of sleeping, cuddling, drinking hot chocolate with peppermint sticks and other cold weather treats.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #194 on: December 05, 2003, 06:25:10 PM »

"It's me, it's me, my name is Pinky Lee."  Wasn't Pinky the one who would always rub his head and pat stomach?  Or was it the other way around.  I have vague memories of him.  I think he also had a stutter.  He was originally a burlesque comic who oddly made the transition to 50's children's host.  You can also catch him, I believe, in the film, LADY OF BURLESQUE starring Barbara Stanwyck...before he became a children's host.  He wore a lot of checks...checkered hat, coat, etc.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #195 on: December 05, 2003, 06:30:20 PM »

My CAREERS game is on its way....and I am watching INSIDE DAISY CLOVER.....life can be beautiful.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #196 on: December 05, 2003, 06:34:35 PM »

Hadn't checked these out before, but here is one of those anagram sites of which Tom speaks.

It seems to have me confused with a brassiere...

Jed Slaughter = Haltered jugs :D
I gave it a try.
S. Woody White = DEITYS!  OH WOW!
(Punctuation my own, of course.)

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Emily

« Reply #197 on: December 05, 2003, 06:45:07 PM »

Leggo of my lei !! :D
« Last Edit: December 05, 2003, 06:45:32 PM by Emily »
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Michael

« Reply #198 on: December 05, 2003, 06:49:40 PM »

Canadian Televisions I remember seeing when I lived in Canada. Of course these are just some of them, and there is a lot more. Which I might post at another time

ADVENTURES IN RAINBOW COUNTRY with Lois Maxwell (Miss Moneypenny of the James Bond Series) Last one series but ran endless in reruns.

http://www.rainbowcountry.com/images/pics/sbenj2.jpg

The Beachcombers last 18 years but never a favorite of mine. Beachcombers was based around Nick Adonidas ( a beachcomber) and Molly Carmody and her family. Nick lived above Molly's diner which was called Molly's Reach.

BEYOND REASON  A most unusual game show featuring various 'psychic' types (astrologer, clairvoyant etc) trying to guess the identities of mystery guest using various things pertinent to their trade (for example the astrologer getting the birth time and date detailds etc). The series also took in other aspects of the paranormal via short films. Regular panellists included clairvoyant Irene Hughes, astrologer Geoff Gray-Cobb, palmist Marcel Broekman and graphologist Marilyn Rossner. Allan Spragget was the creator.

DR SIMON LOCKE aka Police Surgeon Sam Groom starred but the cast and plot kept on changing. Oscar winner Jack Albertson appeared in the first season.

FAMILY COURT My mother guest starred on this soap and I was supposed to be on the show but before my story line could be used it was cancelled.

FOREST RANGERS Adventure series. The members of the Junior  Rangers Club of Indian River help Ranger Keeley as he tries to keep the area crime and trouble free.

FRONT PAGE CHALLENGE Long running panel based game show in which the four panelists (after seeing a short film full of clues) tried to guess the identity of a mystery guest.

HOUSE OF PRIDE Drama series. Episodes in the lives of the various members of the scattered Pride family living in different parts of Canada, principally Toronto, Winnipeg, Montreal, Halifax and Vancouver. The various segments of the series were kept seperate. My friend Julie Amato was in the Winnipeg segments.

JULIE a variety series featuring my friend Julie Amato. I appeared several time on the shows.  The first time was when she sang a song to me "I Love You Because You're Trash" Got to meat many great US performers. The funniest being Phyllis Diller and the saddest being Peter Lawford.

KING OF KENSINGTON Sitcom. The exploits of Larry King, an overweight Jewish Store owner. In early seasons Larry had a wife called Cathy but from 1978 he had a girlfriend called Tina. Larry later gave up the store to his mum and started working at the Kensington Community Centre.

I know some DR  in particular might want to comment on this show.

QUENTIN DURGENS M.P. Drama series. Rural MP Quentin Durgens juggles his constituency duties in the small town of Hampton County with his role as a back bencher in Ottawa

See below for a picture. It was too large to post here

THE STARLOST a bad sci-fi series shot on video tape that laste a half a season before the plug was pulled Keir Dullea was the big star in this dud.

WOJECK before the was Quincy there was Wojeck starring John Vernon

« Last Edit: December 05, 2003, 06:53:06 PM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

MBarnum

« Reply #199 on: December 05, 2003, 06:51:24 PM »

I tried the anagram thing and it gave me about 1500 results, none of which made any sense. My name must be anagramless!

Danise

« Reply #200 on: December 05, 2003, 06:59:15 PM »

My CAREERS game is on its way....and I am watching INSIDE DAISY CLOVER.....life can be beautiful.

Yay! Congrats on your E-bay win!  I'm still waiting to see if I get  my seeds.

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Tomovoz

« Reply #201 on: December 05, 2003, 07:04:59 PM »

How Sad Michael. You must feel like an "alien  ham crumb".
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #202 on: December 05, 2003, 07:07:42 PM »

I quite like the idea of a "cherub mailman" too MBarnum.
James Thurber 1957

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #203 on: December 05, 2003, 07:16:41 PM »

Hello, DR's. I haz just returned from work...not too busy, but still enough people to make good tips. Lots of cute little kids...and free coffee :).

I feel awful, but when did you LEAVE, Panni? I missed that, I just thought you were taking a break to sort out your new living environment! I'm glad you came back!! :)

Ron/TCB/Andrea: I didn't have a clue who Captain Kangaroo was either, isn't that sad? And I'm AMERICAN.

Jed: Break a leg, Jugs! ;)

My own name brings up "Livaz, the bear, has AIDS." My name without  Elizabeth brings up "Harass Diva." I must be unlucky!

My SAT testing for tomorrow morning has been rescheduled, so I get to sleep in! I'm so excited :).

It's still snooooowing...
...Walk in the sunshine...

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #204 on: December 05, 2003, 07:20:53 PM »

Geez, DR Michael, I provided a link to the man's column back about two pages. After bk mentioned his name, I Googled to find out who the blazes he was. Here it is again:

http://www.broadway.com/template_1.asp?CI=32812&CT=49
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #205 on: December 05, 2003, 07:23:26 PM »

MattH beat me to it, Michael.  

I'm finally home, but have no food at all in the house, so I'll probably have to go out at some point and get something.  

Tomovoz

« Reply #206 on: December 05, 2003, 07:26:39 PM »

If you google more than once do you have a gaggle? Is an unsuccessful google a giggle?  
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

« Reply #207 on: December 05, 2003, 07:31:51 PM »

Here's Pinky Lee. He was a crazy man as well as I can remember his show.

Matt H.

« Reply #208 on: December 05, 2003, 07:50:26 PM »

I spent part of this afternoon and evening watching the Deanna Durbin movie I recorded off TCM yesterday: IT'S A DATE.

I was HORRIFIED at the condition of the print they showed: scratches all over the place, missing frames, dirt and dropouts. It was appalling! Usually TCM uses the finest print they can lay their hands on. If this is the best print of IT'S A DATE that Universal has at its disposal, it's close to being a lost film.

Honestly, THE COCOANUTS from 1929 looks better than this 1940 film. I guess I've gotten so used to the cleaned up movies that get released by the major companies on DVD that I forget what terrible shape most of their studio libraries must be in. Seeing this print really saddened and depressed me.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2003, 07:52:42 PM by Matt H. »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #209 on: December 05, 2003, 07:50:56 PM »

I'm just thinkin' what do I want to eat.  In the meantime, I never finished posting my photos from the other day.

Here's a lovely song from the not-so-lovely Kelly.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up