Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: LIKE A WINGED BIRD  (Read 20486 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
LIKE A WINGED BIRD
« on: December 05, 2003, 12:05:21 AM »

Well, you've read the rather obtuse notes o' the day, so now it is time to post until the cows come home or, at the very least, until I come home.  Say the secred word and you win a hundred dollars.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2003, 12:06:05 AM by bk »

Jed

Re:LIKE A WINGED BIRD
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2003, 12:11:53 AM »

DVD - Empty at the moment

VCR - last night's The West Wing, and tonight's Survivor, CSI, and Without A Trace... I really have some catching up to do!

CDs - Male Ensemble Northwest "Reflections of Christmas," Manhattan Transfer "Swing," "The Student Prince," and a lovely bit of disco sent from Down Under!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2003, 12:23:43 AM »

DVD: Richard Rodgers "Some Enchanted Evening". My third viewing. I had better return to its rightful owner (and generous friend) this week.
CDs: Karen Akers "In A Very Unusual Way", "Titanic" OBC, Christiane Noll "The Ira Gershwin Album"
VCR: prepared for taping the first episode to be shown here of "American Dreams" In Oz it has been retitled "Our Generation". Not much faith by the network concerned as non ratings junk season has started.
Record player: Patsy Cline "I'll Sail My Ship Alone".
« Last Edit: December 05, 2003, 12:24:17 AM by Tom from OZ »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2003, 12:26:07 AM »

DVD - Empty at the moment

VCR - last night's The West Wing, and tonight's Survivor, CSI, and Without A Trace... I really have some catching up to do!

CDs - Male Ensemble Northwest "Reflections of Christmas," Manhattan Transfer "Swing," "The Student Prince," and a lovely bit of disco sent from Down Under!
You are indeed Losing Your Mind DR Jed.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2003, 12:54:43 AM »

All the best of wishes for your Christmas Present Tale Jed. Break a leg - but not on that step.
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2003, 02:58:35 AM »

DR Ron thanks for taking on "tilting the windmills" for DR Jennifer!  :D

And actually, DRs - Mr Hitchcock appears in "The Man Who Knew Too Much" in the Albert Hall sequence, as Miss Doris (who can do no wrong) Day is explaining what is happening, Mr Hitchcock dressed as a diplomat in white tie and tails, and red banner comes down some stairs behind her and is being introduced to a group of people.  BUT Doris is SO compelling it is hard to take your eyes off her.

The bus sequence Mr BK speaks of may be the one that occurs immediately AFTER the credits in "North by Northwest".  ;D

Winter weather advisory!

In my DVD - "Pirates of the Carribean" just arrived!

In my CD - the Tony Perkins CD from Collectible Music, very nice.

In my VCR - "Come Back Little Sheba", ah Shirley Booth!

Hmmmmmmmmmm.....after writing this, I just checked a website and it says Hitchcock is in the Morroco sequence watching the acrobats.  I will check for sure, but I am sure I saw him in the other place.  More later.

Hmmmmmmmmm.......I don't see him in the Albert Hall sequence, maybe I dreamed it....but my VHS is not letterboxed.  He IS supposed to be in the shot in Morrocco where the acrobats are standing on each other's shoulders,  but again, pan and scan defeats me.

The quest goes on.  Perhaps someone else can answer!

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2003, 04:00:30 AM »

On the CD player right now is The Boy from Oz. I knew so little of Peter Allen or his music before I saw the show, and have to say I'm enjoying the gentle songs even more than the flashy showstoppers. There's a bonus track, the moving, simple and beautifully sung Tenterfield Saddler, in which Peter tells us about his grandfather, his father and Australia. It's a far more effective handling of his father's sad story than is the present scene, and I think it would complement Don't Cry Out Loud, exquisitely sung by Beth Fowler. I know that some shows have been tweaked after opening night (Illya Darling is one that comes to mind). And if anyone is asking, that's how I would improve TBFO.

Michael

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2003, 04:20:09 AM »

DVD...Pirates of the Carribean

CD player: Private collections of The Best of Jason Graae, The Best of Liz Callaway
Never stop dreaming.

Emily

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2003, 06:13:36 AM »

Good morning everyone!

My first exam is at 2pm EST.  Send me Arab and Israeli vibes! :D

My audio-visual pleasures of the week:

CD discman: RENT the first cd (don't ask me why, but around December I always get a hankering for this show... faults and all.  I swear it is my inner RENT-head coming out to haunt me)

MP3 playlist: a mixture of a lot of shows I only have snippets from (like THO MO MILLIE and Lippa's the WILD PARTY and CABARET and... the list goes on)

There's nothing in my vhs or dvd players.

Note on yesterday's SURVIVOR - how boring was that episode?  I'm afraid that nothing exciting is going to happen from here on in... :(

I go to deliver the cheques today to the travel agency.  I realized yesterday that on their sign they misspelled "Manhatten" as "Mamhattan".  Is that a bad sign or what?  I hope the office I was directed to actually exists...    

Oh well I must learn all about the Middle East in less than 5 hours... wish me luck and send those vibes! :D

"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Diane

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2003, 06:38:59 AM »

DVD: Secretary

CD: Scarlets Walk, Tori Amos and The Last Five Years

Did anyone see Friends last night? I usullay dont find that show very funny  but the whole Hanukah armadillo thing was hysterical! ;D
I LOVE A Piano....

Jennifer

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2003, 06:40:24 AM »

Note on yesterday's SURVIVOR - how boring was that episode?  I'm afraid that nothing exciting is going to happen from here on in... :(

Not sure if you read my comments from last night, but yep I found it boring too.

Although when you say "nothing exciting is going to happen" how do you see the rest of the show playing out?

We have: Burton, Jon, Lil, Darrah, and Sandra left.

Personally I cannot believe that Darrah has won the last two immunities. She seems to just be sliding through without doing anything. I thought for sure Burton would win at shooting. But with Darrah's accent, I wonder where she's from. Maybe she's used to skeet shooting. Cause she got three shots in a row.

I know that Burton is committed to Jon and Lil. I know Lil is committed to Burton. I think Jon is committed to Burton.  I wonder if the 3 women will turn on the guys. I suppose that would be the smartest thing for them to do to win.  However, I will not be happy with Lil if she turns on Burton. Turning on your alliance is bad, bad Survivor form.

Okay enough Survivor talk.  Good morning all.

It is still freezing here. Brrrrr!

William E. Lurie

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2003, 06:42:01 AM »

Why is it that even though I have checked the "Always Stay Logged In" box I still have to log in occasionally?

CD - JERRY SPRINGER - The Opera

DVD - Christmas on the Ed Sullivan Show

VHS - KISS ME KATE (Drake/Morrison/Wilson/Hayes)

I do not understand New York critics any more.  First WICKED got reviews a lot worse than it deserved.  Yes it had its problems, but nowhere near as many problems as the reviews would lead you to believe.

Next they took a good performance --- but hardly the be all and end all --- by Donna Murphy and praised it so that it seemed like the greatest performance in the last fifty years.

And now they have given mediocre reviews to NEVER GONNA DANCE.  It may not be the greatest show I have ever seen, but it is the most entertaining evening on Broadway I have spent in years.

I understand that the real reason Mary Tyler Moore just left the new Neil Simon show in previews was that she was mad that Simon wanted her to learn her lines and not have them fed to her in a special earpiece.

And how long has Simon been married to Elaine (SUGAR) Joyce?

Yesterday the Times printed a lengthy obit for dancer Katharine Sergava, best known as the original Dream Laurie in OKLAHOMA!  Today they printed a retraction saying she is not dead, but is 94 and living in a nursing home in NYC!  Don't they check these things out?
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jennifer

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2003, 06:53:53 AM »

Wow, Elaine Paige in Sweeney Todd in NY:

http://web.playbill.com/news/article/83135.html

Jennifer

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2003, 06:57:55 AM »

Here is Riedel of the NY Post's column on the Mary Tyler Moore walk-out:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/12052003/entertainment/12637.htm

Jennifer

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2003, 06:59:38 AM »

Andrea

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2003, 07:18:22 AM »

Jennifer, I check your posts here first instead of going to the weathernetwork.com!

I'm almost done my detective fiction paper. Somehow, I put barely any effort into it, and yet I feel it is really, really good. In brief, it is about blondes, criminals and "otherness".I've learned the key to sucess in papers: to get A-, write about feminism, to get As write about sexuality.

Today, I plan on delivering this paper, seeing DR emily, going to walmart to develop pictures, remembering to deliver books to two different libraries, read 8 chapters of a history text book and see if I feel well enough to go clubbing. oy!

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2003, 07:23:35 AM »

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOH.... there is no schooooool todaaaaaay, which means I get to sleeeeeeeep, and possibly go see a moooooooovie, and definetly shooooovel, and maybe not go to woooooooork, tra la laaaaaaaa!

That was my "No School" song. I love it when we get *shock horror gasp* 6 inches of snow, and school is cancelled. Laura II said it last night, the school board freaks out when any form of weather, other than wind and sunshine, DARE to show their ugly faces. We've had school cancelled for 2 inches. That actually wasn't a good day, you can't even have FUN in two inches!

In my CD player is the SHREK soundtrack. This is actually a very cute CD, it has a lot of entertaining songs on it.

In my DVD player is STIGMATA...I love this movie.

In VHS are old tapes of me when I was younger, making a fool out of myself to be funny for the camera. It will be good blackmail when I'm older, I suppose.

My kitty is crying for me to play with him, I'll come back later.
...Walk in the sunshine...

Jennifer

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2003, 07:24:44 AM »

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2003, 07:28:53 AM »

I have the widescreen DVD of THE MAN WHO KNEW TO MUCH, and would have checked it last night when challenged if I had been awake. I will check it today.

The bus sequence bk is thinking about is in TO CATCH A THIEF, I believe. No way Hitchcock would repeat an appearance on a bus a film or two later. By that stage of his career, he knew people were looking for his appearance and varied them as much as he could.

Media check:

CD - Judy Garland - ALONE

laserdisc - GOODBYE, MR. CHIPS (1969)

DVD - CHITTY CHITTY BANG BANG today and PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN tomorrow.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2003, 07:29:53 AM »

Darn it. I forgot VHS - last night's WILL & GRACE and SCRUBS.

MBarnum

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2003, 07:30:02 AM »

CD: Two fantastic CDrs courtesy of our man in Australia..thanks Tom! Peter Brocklehurst who has astounded me and I can't stop listneing to him! What an amazing voice. He should really go places! ...and Miss Dorothy Provine with her album THE ROARING 20s. What a surprise! She is quite a songstress!

Also listening to some wonderful Christmsas choral music supplied by DR Jason..of particular note is Robert Shaw Choir and Oklahoma City University Choir. Needless to say I have been listening to a lot of music this week thanks to the kindness of DRs!

DVD: Haven't watched much this week other then an episode of SHEENA, QUEEN OF THE JUNGLE and a fun budget DVD I found at Walmart, CHRISTMAS WITH GUMBY which is a compilation of vintage Gumby short subjects.

VHS: Taped WIZARD OF BAGDAHD but haven't watched it yet. Only thing I have watched on VHS this week was last nights episode of QUEEN FOR A DAY.

Jennifer

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2003, 07:35:34 AM »

Jennifer, I check your posts here first instead of going to the weathernetwork.com!

That comment cracked me up. Thanks DR Andrea.

Btw, if you check the weather network you'll be confused. It says it's snowing now. Sorry but it's not snowing here.

Also it says it's -10C plus windchill. And it says tonight it's going down to -24C with windchill (that is COLD).

The funny thing is that even though it's apparently snowing right now, there will be "no accumulation in the next 24 hours".   I love when they contradict themselves.

Jennifer

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2003, 07:40:45 AM »

Wow Swishy, no school. Yeah!

I wonder if they would cancel school here for 6 feet of snow!

I actually don't like snow. And I hate the cold. So I picked a great place to live :)

Matt H.

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2003, 07:59:49 AM »

I just read the NEVER GONNA DANCE review from the VARIETY critic. It was mixed as well, but a bit more positive than Ken Mandelbaum's, though they seemed to agree that the show peaked in the first dance number 10 minutes in, the two leads don't have much chemistry, that Karen Ziemba is underutilized but scores big in her shimmy number in the second act, and that the show seemed a bit bland on the whole.

Matt H.

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2003, 08:02:29 AM »

DR Diane, I am a HUGE FRIENDS fan and have seen every episode numerous times. "The One with the Holiday Armadillo" is one of the more hysterically silly episodes, but it never fails to make me laugh.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2003, 08:05:12 AM »

They said snow today....lots of it....so far nada!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2003, 08:05:41 AM »

Yes, it's the bus in To Catch a Thief, and a bus in North by Northwest (although he's trying to get on rather than already being on).  I'll pop in Man Who Knew Too Much later, unless someone beats me to it.  His appearance would never have been as late as the Albert Hall sequence.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2003, 08:06:14 AM »

In the US it IS spelled Manhattan!

Isn't that weird?  I can't find a reference to him in a crowd being introduced to anyone, but I was certain I saw that....  :o

I guess it will take VistaVision to see him in the shot!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2003, 08:07:58 AM by JRand53 »

Diane

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2003, 08:06:45 AM »

Its Snowing!! It's Snowing! ;D :o

DR Emily: good luck with your test!
I LOVE A Piano....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2003, 08:12:17 AM »

Whatta ya bet that Phyllis knows Mary's lines and was backstage ready to go on!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up