Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: LIKE A WINGED BIRD  (Read 20762 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:LIKE A WINGED BIRD
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2003, 08:24:27 AM »

There are two sides to every problem, and I understand Neil Simon is in very poor health and very short tempered these days. Mary is getting close to 70 and the stress of learning new dialogue every day is challenging to even the most experienced actor. Also remember that even though she has certainly done her share of theater through the years, she's primarily a television and film actress, used to short scenes, retakes, and not always prepared for the brutal break-in period of a new comedy.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2003, 08:25:31 AM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2003, 08:29:34 AM »

Good morning to "soaring like a bird" BK, and all of the early H/Ks --

DVD player -- another lovely episode of The Sopranos

VCR -- It started out to be the videocassette of Hello Dolly a couple of evenings ago, but unfortunately Dolly had come off of her spindle or something.  We ended up extracting a looooonngg piece of videotape out of the transport, and will have to give Ms. Levi a proper burial and a Shiva.

CD player -- a test CD of an upcoming project for a friend of mine....sent to me for evaluation.

Matt H.

« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2003, 08:31:03 AM »

Just rewatched the Morocco marketplace scene. As Day and Stewart are watching the acrobats with their backs to the audience, Hitchcock comes in from the left of frame and stands with his back to the audience watching as well.

Matt H.

« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2003, 08:32:23 AM »

DR Music Guy, sorry to hear about the death of Dolly, but really, get her on DVD. The transfer is sparkling and truly worthy of that fabulous dame.

MusicGuy

« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2003, 08:32:38 AM »

In watching the national weather this morning, I am holding good and safe thoughts for our NorthWest Brethren (and Sistren??) as it was calling for high winds, very cold, and overall nastiness in some parts.

And also holding good thoughts for the east coasters and all the way in to Indiana and Illinois!  

"Button up your overcoat, when the wind blows free..."

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2003, 08:33:53 AM »

Good morning!

<cough, cough>

Damn, cough!  Ah, well...

Oh, Good morning.

Yes, it is snowing in the land of DR Swishy Sarah and me (mine?).  I have understudy rehearsal at 1:00, and will most likely go in even though it's sort of optional for me today - they are mainly covering scenes and not songs and dances, but if I'm there...  Besides, it will good for me to get in early before the afternoon flurries start up.  And depending upon the weather pattern tonight, I may end up staying at the theatre tonight - well, at least with one of the actors in their housing/apartments.

Oh... What's a DVD player?  What's a VCR?  What exactly is VHS?  And a CD player is that thing you get music out of from shiny, plastic discs with small holes in the middle of them?

;)

Ah, well...  However, I do plan on digging out my Christmas music CDs when I'm back home in Richmond Sunday night.  One of my favorites is Tuck Andress' "Songs and Carols About Snow".  Amazing playing.

-And I'm guessing we should be sending out good vibes to DR Jason... Doesn't his show open this weekend in West Virginia?  I'll have to check out the website later...  But just in case...

[move=right,scroll,6,red,100%]Good Vibes to DR Jason currently in West Virginia![/move]
Make Your Own Luck.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2003, 08:35:11 AM »

From Page 2 in the main section of today's Newsday:

CORRECTION

Set designer Robin Wagner is male.  An incorrect pronoun was used in the review of "Never Gonna Dance" in today's Part 2 Weekend, which is printed in advance.

;)

Of course I noted that yesterday when their review was posted six hours earlier than it should have been.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Danise

« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2003, 08:35:14 AM »

Good morning all!  BK named this Daily Discussion right--Like a Winged Bird.  That's exactly how this week of vacation went.  Sigh.  I am already looking forward to my next vacation sometime in the Spring when I hope to make my long awaited trip to NYC to see some shows and meet some friends.

In the DVD:   Babylon 5 first season.  Still working my way though it.

In the VHS:  Babylon 5 bloopers--just had to watch that again.  The "commercial" for the Book of G'kar,  seeing Londo sing Me and My Shadow and of course seeing Majel Barrett walk into the door and saying “It’s alright.  I’m used to it.”  are priceless.

CD:  The Monkees. Talking about them made me want to hear the old songs again.

Gotta go–we’ve got a cold front on our front door and I have some grocery shopping I need to do.  That and I’m going to shangkai my Mom into getting her flu shot.  I begged her to get one when I got mine but she didn’t want to go get stuck.  Now that they’re making such a big deal of it on the news, I think I have her talked into getting one.    I’m going to pull into the Walk-In clinic for her to get it and that will be that.  If I can get her out of the car.  Sigh. She can be so stubborn when she doesn’t want to do something.  It’s hard when the tables are turned and you’re the “parent” to your own Mother.  

I haven’t had the chance to see Juliana’s Journal.  I promise to read it when I get home.

Everyone, posters and lurkers, have a warm, happy, safe day!

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2003, 08:35:36 AM »

Yes.. Good Vibes and Snare Drums to DR Jason...

As for Simon v. Moore - While gossip can be fun and interesting - what went on backstage is no one's business but theirs...

MusicGuy

« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2003, 08:38:03 AM »

Thanks DR MattH --  Actually, that very thought ocurred to me, that Ms. Levi would make a dandy stocking-stuffer on DVD.  

For part of the time that I still lived in Hollywood, it was always fun to be driving out towards West L.A., and see the backlot of 20th Century Fox.  You could still see the "New York streets" set for the Dolly exteriors.

Likewise, driving over on Forest Lawn Drive, for years you could look across the big flood control canal into the back of Warner Brothers and see the big exterior set of the castle with the port cullis and drawbridge that was built for Camelot.  It was even funnier when later they re-did the same exterior set by draping a lot of vines on it, and it became the llamasery for "Lost Horizons."

Matt H.

« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2003, 08:42:24 AM »

I think it's great that there are still a couple of studios who still have backlots! I have always when watching movies made during the Golden Age enjoyed seeing versions of the same exteriors used in film after film. It's actually quite fun looking for them.

MusicGuy

« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2003, 08:43:04 AM »

DR Jose --   You take very good care of yourself, my little shining ornament!!  Those roads are bound to be nasty, so be extra watchful.

By the way, does each and every dear reader here happen to know that Dear Reader Jose has just about the most electric, room-brightening, and genuinely sweet smile that has ever come from a human punim ???!!  Well, you heard it here first folks.  It's true.

And just where is it that my adopted broadway child is appearing, and what is the name of the show??  Yes, I refer to the E&T Jason, who has been negligent in the e-mail department...   ???

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2003, 08:57:32 AM »

I woke up this morning with the definite urge to POST. So I guess my short "retirement" is over. Hello, all! Have to take my dog for his morning walk, but will check in later.

Emily

« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2003, 08:58:23 AM »

Actually Jennifer it WAS snowing (downtown at least) about 15 minutes ago.  Light flakes, though, so no real accumulation.

I think it is hilarious that while Virginia gets 6 inches (OMG... BLIZZARD!) we still have dry sidewalks!

Oh and btw... did you say MINUS 24 DEGREES CELCIUS for tonight?  !!! :(
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Matt H.

« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2003, 08:58:31 AM »

Nice to see you again, DR Panni. Welcome home!

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2003, 08:59:36 AM »

How many here recall that Peggy Fleming did a TV ice show special using the set from "Camelot" as backdrop?  They installed "ice" on the standing set and Peggy swirled and fluttered about for a full hour!

At least, I think it was Peggy.....!

Emily

« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2003, 08:59:45 AM »

I am so unhappy.  My HUSBAND forgot to give me good vibes.  

I always knew that it wasn't Maya or Swishy or any of the other lovely ladies of HHW who were my real competition for Craig... it was Jason all along.  

Damn you Jason!  Damn you! :D
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2003, 09:00:19 AM »

I can imagine Mary Tyler Moore leaving the theater now:

"Oh-uh-h-h-h, ROB!"
« Last Edit: December 05, 2003, 09:00:58 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Matt H.

« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2003, 09:05:41 AM »

I remember that special very well, DR Ron. It was called HERE'S PEGGY FLEMING and won an Emmy Award for cinematography.

MusicGuy

« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2003, 09:14:12 AM »

Hi there DR Panni....  just wanted to let you know that you are thought of often on here, and I hope that we hear from you a little more frequently.  Do you have any current or new writing projects in the works??

8)

MusicGuy

« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2003, 09:16:26 AM »

Well, I have to hie my somewhat creaky bones out into the world, and accomplish a few things.  Take care of the Living Room, and make sure to neaten up the place while BK is out working.

Be back later...............

Jennifer

« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2003, 09:17:33 AM »

Actually Jennifer it WAS snowing (downtown at least) about 15 minutes ago.  Light flakes, though, so no real accumulation.

I think it is hilarious that while Virginia gets 6 inches (OMG... BLIZZARD!) we still have dry sidewalks!

Oh and btw... did you say MINUS 24 DEGREES CELCIUS for tonight?  !!! :(

Isn't the weather taken from my neck of the woods in Dorval? I don't think we had any snowflakes at all. Although I think they changed it on the weather network pretty fast.

Yep with windchill it said -24C. What is that in F?  Must be WAY below 0F.

Matt H.

« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2003, 09:18:02 AM »

Here's a clip from that very special. Peggy looks so young because this was the first big thing she did after winning the 1968 Winter Olympic gold medal.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2003, 09:18:05 AM »

It's falling ... the first snow of the year.  If only I could find my big winter coat.

I only wanted to see the new Simon play because I was intrigued by the combination of his writing and Mary Tyler Moore's acting.

When I was in Scotland some years ago, the leading man in my Murder at the Savoy there was someone who, like me, admits that everything he knows he knows through musicals.  He said "I don't know much about American history, but I AM familiar with Assassins.  Here in Britain, nobody recognizes the name Gerald Ford.  But I can tell you the names of the two women who fired shots at him: Squeaky Fromme and Mary Tyler Moore."

Oh no, I thought, not our Mary.

DVD: a new musical that played in Buffalo this year called A Week in the Life.  I'm mentioned in one of the bonus tracks, I believe.

CD: That Broadway In Love compilation and our first Nancy LaMott.  Who was it who wrote Not Exactly Paris?  I'd guess Dave Frishburg, but after what he wrote in Another Song About Paris, it doesn't seem likely.

Careers was a marvelous game because you had to decide on goals for your life: how much money you wanted to accumulate, how much fame, and how much happiness.  Then you'd move your piece through various career paths.  Farming, for instance, brought you lots of happiness, but not much money and very little fame.  I hope those unfamiliar with the game now understand why it's such a good metaphor for life.

Do check out the utterly revamped website at www.WeddingMusical.com . . . you may even find a picture of DR Diane somewhere in there.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2003, 09:19:34 AM by Noel »
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2003, 09:18:15 AM »

Why, Thank You So Much, DR MusicGuy!   You and DR Kerry also have very nice countenances.  ;D

As for DR Jason, if memory serves me right: Scrooge, West Viginia Public Theatre - ???   That's why he had to leave on a bus last Saturday in the wee hours of the morning.  Hope he made it there safe and sound.

Well, time for me to get the snow/ice scraper out...

-And, yes, I will be careful on the roads.  But if I'm not, does that mean I'll get punished?  ;)

Ciao for niao...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2003, 09:27:39 AM »

Yes vibes to Jason on his show.....and DR JED who opens tonight!

Thanks MATTH for clarifying the Hitchcock mystery - but now I am so upset that I can't remember the one I am thinking about...grrrrrrrr....I musta dreamed it.

And I forgot - congratulations on the royalty cheques, Mr BK!  You are worth every penny and more!

DR NOEL....LOL....Mary the Assassin...or the new musical Marry the Assassin!

DRMG - there is a part of the book WHERE THE TRUTH LIES that describes an experience on the back lot of Warner Bros - have you read the book, and it sounds like a great place!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jennifer

« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2003, 09:28:06 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Good vibes to DR Emily![/move]

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2003, 09:29:21 AM »

How many here recall that Peggy Fleming did a TV ice show special using the set from "Camelot" as backdrop?  They installed "ice" on the standing set and Peggy swirled and fluttered about for a full hour!

At least, I think it was Peggy.....!

Actually, that is a common mistake.  If you look closely at the legs you can tell that it was really Dick Button.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2003, 09:38:48 AM »

DVD: Two sets added to the collection this week, Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers and Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl.  In the first case, I really want to re-view Fellowship of the Ring before watching the extended TT, if just to get myself back into the story.  In the second case, I've got to quit watching the bonus material before watching the film, because the bonus stuff contained a major spoiler (boo hiss).  Still, this should keep me busy for a little while.  (I've got Alias, Season 2 on hold for the moment.  While the Delaware no-sales-tax business has me elated, I want to shop around on-line to find a better price.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2003, 09:41:53 AM »

ALIAS - Season 2 holds quite a few surprises for those who haven't seen it yet. I envy you!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up