Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: LIKE A WINGED BIRD  (Read 20754 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:LIKE A WINGED BIRD
« Reply #60 on: December 05, 2003, 09:45:42 AM »

Well, lo and behold, there was an article in this morning's newspaper that a theater in the area is ALSO doing the 10 hour screening of all three LORD OF THE RINGS films. The showing is completely sold out and has been for weeks, but there are people who are going in costume to this event! This has become another STAR WARS! I had no idea that the films had such cults swirling around them.

The article said there were about 150 theaters nationwide doing it.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2003, 09:46:54 AM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #61 on: December 05, 2003, 09:58:24 AM »

Speaking of winged birds.......
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #62 on: December 05, 2003, 10:02:30 AM »

I have had to log in four of the five times I have come to HHW today even though the always stay logged in button is checked.  This has only happened once before since we switched to the new board.  I refuse to post this on the technical board as I will get another snippy reply which implies I don't know what I am doing.  Is anyone else having this problem?

The snow is here.  We will probably close early.

NEVER GONNA DANCE got an excellent review in the NY Daily News and 2½ Stars in the Post with the review much better than the headline ("Never Gonna Last") implies.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: December 05, 2003, 10:16:24 AM »

WEL-

Whether you post your technical issue here or on the technical forum isn't going to stop anyone from giving you a snippy reply. Having read the thread I assume you are referring to re: searches, I can only say that Mark wasn't being snippy (although that might be how you took it) - he was explaining quite clearly that for him to help you, or anyone else for that matter, he needs to know exactly what the issue is.  

Think of it as this. You stop and head into a gas station and say to the attendant "I can't get to where I am going"

Does that mean you are out of gas, you have engine problems, you are lost, you can't find your directions, etc..

As for the logging in problem - there could be a plethora of reasons why you've had to log in (and Mark can correct me here) - everything from perhaps a corrupted "cookie" written to your computer, entering from a different page on the site or my favorite - random computer wackiness caused by the fact that computers are not perfect.....

The REASON there is a technical forum on this board, is so that the daily notes doesn't get congested with these types of matters for those that just want to read today's ramblings and not worry about other matters...
« Last Edit: December 05, 2003, 10:17:58 AM by Craig »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #64 on: December 05, 2003, 10:17:20 AM »

WEL - I don't think I have had to log on since we started here....hmmmmmmm....   What page do you start on?  I usually keep the forum in my tray and then refresh when I want to check the messages.

What browser are you using?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #65 on: December 05, 2003, 10:19:31 AM »

Just read the NEVER GONNA DANCE review at the NY Times. "The bland leading the bland" was a pretty funny line, but it seems to reflect what many of the reviewers are saying about it. Wonder how it's doing at the box-office? The first week of previews wasn't especially well attended if I remember the box-office reports from VARIETY, but maybe it's doing better as word of mouth spreads.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2003, 10:27:10 AM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Tomovoz

« Reply #66 on: December 05, 2003, 10:41:09 AM »

LOTR ROTK: Was there any mention in North America that it has been shown already in New Zealand? I think half of NZ population was there plus a good few fans from OZ. I think it was three days ago.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: December 05, 2003, 10:42:02 AM »

I don't have a normal computer in the edit bay I'm in today and tomorrow.  I brought my laptop but they can't seem to get it to connect to the internet here (they use a Mac-based system).  So, I've got a really lame and ancient Mac laptop in there and I'll do my best.  

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #68 on: December 05, 2003, 10:44:40 AM »

Thank you for welcoming me back, DR's Matt H. and MusicGuy. In answer to your question, DR MusicGuy, yes I have a number of things in the works. I'm waiting for Network notes to do the next draft of a TV-movie, have another one that will be shooting in January and a number of projects that are out there (including a feature) which -  to incorporate the analogy of the day - may or may not take wing.
Meanwhile, I'm settling into my new life.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2003, 10:45:18 AM by Panni »

Tomovoz

« Reply #69 on: December 05, 2003, 10:46:58 AM »

DR MBarnum. Glad you too are enjoying the work of Mr Brockelhurst. Not bad for a first effort I think. To see him sing (on TV) is to really feel that voice.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Diane

« Reply #70 on: December 05, 2003, 10:50:51 AM »

DR Noel: Yes....I think I'm hiding inside one of those choir robes ::) and I agree...everyone must go and by a copy of Our Wedding: The Musical, cause it's brillant!

Poor Mary! What a horrible thing to do to an actress just as she is about to go on stage!

I was watching Sense and Sensibility last night ...and half way through I thought "What a wonderful musical this would make!" I'm surprised no one has tried it yet...

I LOVE A Piano....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #71 on: December 05, 2003, 10:54:21 AM »

WB DR PANNI!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #72 on: December 05, 2003, 10:55:50 AM »

Panni!  How great to see you here again.  I was disappointed to learn that you had retired from this site.  However, there are times that it would appear that possessing even one adult brain cell would over-qualify you for posting at this here site, but please, don't stay away too long.

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #73 on: December 05, 2003, 11:03:30 AM »

Thanks for the welcomes DR JRand53 and DR TCB. Has anyone out there seen THE BARBARIAN INVASIONS (Denys Arcand). A person with excellent taste in films told me that it was the best film he had seen in years.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2003, 11:04:53 AM by Panni »

William E. Lurie

« Reply #74 on: December 05, 2003, 11:03:46 AM »

First of all I was not the only person who got a snippy reply on the technical board.  I have read other threads and that is the tone of many replies.

I am doing absolutely nothing different than I have done in the past.  I go to the second page of BK's notes, click on the bottom and I am automatically logged in.  I am using Internet Explorer like I have always used.  And it happened again this time.    I don't know if it will happen on my computer at home, but I will try it there.  At least when I log in I can get on which is better than not being able to use the site at all.  I just liked the convenience of not having to type in my name and password every time.  

The night I saw NEVER GONNA DANCE (the night before Thanksgiving) it was a full house and they even sold standing room.  The audience was very enthusiastic  and several numbers almost stopped the show.  I hope good word of mouth can counteract the fair reviews.  It has so far with WICKED.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #75 on: December 05, 2003, 11:05:37 AM »

Re: A musical "Sense and Sensability" - the musical of "Pride and Predjudice" (FIRST IMPRESSIONS) was such a flop maybe nobody wants to try a musical of it's companion book.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #76 on: December 05, 2003, 11:19:13 AM »

Just rewatched the Morocco marketplace scene. As Day and Stewart are watching the acrobats with their backs to the audience, Hitchcock comes in from the left of frame and stands with his back to the audience watching as well.

The difference between watching a DVD or a formatted for T.V. version, we could only see Hitch from the back.  We missed his entrance, not visible to us, and believed it was possibly someone in the crowd who looked like him.

Jennifer

« Reply #77 on: December 05, 2003, 11:23:45 AM »

I have had to log in four of the five times I have come to HHW today even though the always stay logged in button is checked.  

Does it tell you to log in when you go to www.haineshisway.com/community?

If so, just click on the daily discussions and see if it doesn't log you in automatically.

Whenever I go directly to the above link it always says I'm a guest and that I should log in. But when I simply click on daily discussions, my name suddenly appears and I don't have to log in. Don't know why. This might work for you.

Jane

« Reply #78 on: December 05, 2003, 11:27:54 AM »

Panni, glad to have you back.

DVD last night-Heaven.  The acting was great but I didn’t care for the story.
CD-Rosemary Clooney’s Christmas CD

MBarnum

« Reply #79 on: December 05, 2003, 11:29:41 AM »

DR Panni,
Have never heard of the film! And welcome back...you have been missed!

Jennifer

« Reply #80 on: December 05, 2003, 11:34:16 AM »

I am doing absolutely nothing different than I have done in the past.  I go to the second page of BK's notes, click on the bottom and I am automatically logged in.  I am using Internet Explorer like I have always used.  And it happened again this time.    

What you're doing brings you to the page haineshisway.com/community. Just try clicking on discussions even though it says you're a guest. For me it logs me in automatically at this point.

Jennifer

« Reply #81 on: December 05, 2003, 11:42:21 AM »

Where do I find that green vibeage line that DR Maya always uses. I want green vibes.

Jennifer

« Reply #82 on: December 05, 2003, 11:44:38 AM »

And now I would like to use this crystal ball so I can understand men.  

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #83 on: December 05, 2003, 11:45:42 AM »

WEL -- I was going to say the same thing that Jennifer said.  If I am at work and go to http://haineshisway.com or to http://208.50.7.254/community/; it always lists me as a guest until I get to the Daily Discussion Section, then I automatically become me again without having to ever sign on..
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #84 on: December 05, 2003, 11:46:57 AM »

And now I would like to use this crystal ball so I can understand men.  

When you're done, can I borrow it?
“One thing’s universal,

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #85 on: December 05, 2003, 11:50:26 AM »

DR Panni:  I'm glad to see you posting, also.

Donald

• So dramatic!
« Reply #86 on: December 05, 2003, 11:54:51 AM »

well, my WICKED CD arrived yesterday and I listened to it this morning.....I saw the show in SF and, since it became clear they didn't change much for NY, I skipped seeing it on my recent trip

it's always interesting to hear a score removed from seeing the show -- just the songs without all the flash and special effects -- and I must say that the CD confirms what I felt when I saw the show.....this is a very weak, mediocre score.......I am stunned by how 80's pop the music sounds and the clunky lyrics are sometimes embarrassing to hear......of course, the cast sounds terrific, I just wish they were singing more interesting songs
DONALD FELTHAM
Host of the Broadway Radio Show

Jane

« Reply #87 on: December 05, 2003, 11:58:38 AM »

I just finished read Juliana exceptionally moving journal.  I too had tears in my eyes.

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #88 on: December 05, 2003, 12:05:41 PM »

I believe that I am the only here who is NOT thrilled about the snow.  Why is this?  I don't have classes on Fridays, but my sister got to stay home.  Hence, greatly reduced computer time.  I probably AM just going to buy my own PC with my Christmas money later this month.  I AM glad though that Swish gets to take the day off!

I am so unhappy.  My HUSBAND forgot to give me good vibes.  

I always knew that it wasn't Maya or Swishy or any of the other lovely ladies of HHW who were my real competition for Craig... it was Jason all along.  

Damn you Jason!  Damn you! :D

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!  Emily, why is it I always sound like a hyena when reading your posts?

Jason and Jed--Good vibes on your opening nights!

Jennifer--it isn't hard to do green vibes at all.  Simply type the vibes, highlight them, go to green, and then set them in moveable type.  Thanks for all the links, btw!  Especially the Donna one...oh, how that woman rocks!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]

Speaking of which, I was thrilled to read the latest installment of Juliana's Journal!  Wow...what an amazing Thanksgiving for her!

As for, Never Gonna Dance, I do want to see it.  I love Kern, and I hope that it gets more good reviews.  But I'm just not as excited about it as I am about other shows right now...it just seems like it's been done before too many times.  
« Last Edit: December 05, 2003, 12:07:41 PM by Maya »

Mr. Mark Bakalor

• Administrator
  • SAG / AFTRA
    • mark, my words
« Reply #89 on: December 05, 2003, 12:07:37 PM »

Warning to Dear Readers... I am about to be snippy. Please cover the eyes of the young and innocent. This post Rated S for Snippy content:

Oh William, you're a funny man. :)

Funny, you see, in that all of the other people I've been "snippy" to on the Tech board have chosen to lick their wounds somewhere else as opposed to feeling the need to talk about being wounded and wronged in the public daily discussion board. Perhaps, just perhaps, you're wrong? Also funny, oddly enough all of THEIR problems, in the end, seem to have been fixed but yours.

Funny too that you have yet to explain what it is you're doing that is getting incorrect or incomplete search results. I've asked several times to no avail. I can only assume that you've figured out by now what you were doing wrong and that the problem is no longer a problem. That would be so nice. If THAT were the case it would appear that the problem wasn't a site problem after all, but a problem on the user's end. Funnily enough, as I so snippily suggested in the begining, the problem would have been due to user error.

That said, if you STILL believe the search problem, or any others you may be experiencing, are occurring... PLEASE, oh please I beg of you, go to the Tech board and explain what you're experiencing in as much detail as possible. If you simply suggest there is a problem and your only response when I ask what you are doing is "well, I'm not the only person experiencing this problem" then I'm afraid I can't do much to help you out. I need to be able to see what you are doing and what you are seeing in as much detail as possible, especially if I cannot recreate the problem on my end. Furthermore, I've asked others to use the search function to see if they could figure out what in the world you were referring to and, funnily enough, nobody could.

As Craig so aptly pointed out, and as I have explained on many occasions (in which all dear readers but yourself seem to have understood), the REASON there IS a technical board is so a) there is a reference section of problems, fixes, questions and answers as to how this section of HHW works and b) so the rest of the DR's can participate in the daily discussions free of such postings.

So, and I mean it this time, one last time, what in the world are you searching for that returns incorrect or incomplete results? The catch to my question, however, is that you need to respond to it in the Tech board. *tag* You're it. See you there?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up