Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE PITH HELMET  (Read 19650 times)

Ben

Re:THE PITH HELMET
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2006, 04:49:29 AM »

Welcome to Page 2

Ben

« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2006, 05:03:10 AM »

I saw Drowsy Chaperone last night. I really enjoyed it.

Bruce, I went back and re-read your comments about the show and it doesn't seem to have changed much although after the faux intermission Man in Chair does actually take the first record off the turntable, takes the second disc out of the sleeve and places it on the turntable and puts the needle on the record. Judging from your comments I don't think they did that when you saw the show.

Sutton Foster is great and I think she will easily garner another Tony nomination.

Bruce, I think you're right. That button you mention about Man in Chair saying something like "I've played this show in my mind for years" so you get the concept immediately would add a nice moment, but without it the show still works for me.

The overture that you worked on sounds great. Just like an old record. The swell in with the real orchestra could use some tweaking but if they didn't change it in LA I don't think they will change it here.

I will probably see it again next week or the week after since a friend wants to see it and he asked me to go. I will gladly see it again. I think the show will be a big hit here in New York, which is not usually the case. Many times, it seems, big hits in New York don't play well in California and big hits in California don't play well in New York (Zoot Suit from 1979 comes to mind immediately). I think Drowsy may be the exception.

Ben

« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2006, 05:03:44 AM »

TCB, what are you doing up at this hour???

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2006, 05:08:43 AM »

[/quote
Going home?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2006, 05:09:02 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2006, 05:20:28 AM »

I just had the nicest surprise.  I had received an email from my publisher yesterday inquiring about a piece, and I decided to check out his page on me to see if an MP3 file I sent him had been entered yet.  It hadn't. but I discovered there are MP3 files for two other pieces I'd written that I didn't know existed!

They are the "Appalachian Carols" which I wrote for my father, born in Louisa Kentucky, 1921, and the "Provencal Carols," both first performed by the New York City Gay Men's Chorus chamber choir.  These sound files are not the NYCGMC performances, so I don't know where my publisher found them.  I've always regretted the chorus didn't do either set on their Christmas recording for Virgin because I think they're two of the best things I ever wrote.  Now, if only "America the Beautiful" would show up!  If you'd like a listen to things I've done, my publisher has a few here:

http://yrmusic.com/v2/artists/bios/artist.php?ID=11

On a sadder note, my 85 year-old father could use some vibes:  on Monday he undergoes surgery for cancer in his colon and possibly liver.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2006, 05:21:14 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2006, 05:27:15 AM »

T.O.D.

I suppose I should include such quality films such as RAN and THE SEVEN SAMURI, but I have never seen either one.  I suppose the only Japanese films I have ever seen are RODAN and RINGU.

Miyoshi Umeki
Toshiro Mifune

I like Japanese (and Chinese) food, as long as we stay with the safer choices.  Eel, calamari, blowfish, and octopus are not on my list of favorites.

I am not a big fan of Thai or Vietnamese food, so I guess in September I will merely drop Mr. ofoz and Colin off at the best Thai restaurants in Seattle, and the head to Ruth's Chris and have myself a steak..... Does Benihana's count as a real Japanese restaurant?  If so, I will choose that one.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2006, 05:29:46 AM »

Checking up on you, Ben.
“One thing’s universal,

Ginny

« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2006, 05:29:51 AM »

Thursday morning greetings!

Vibes for DR Elmore's father...

Today is a busy day for me getting ready for 2 all-day meetings tomorrow.  I need the Time-Turner hourglass that Hermione has in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban in order to be able to attend both.  Since I don't have that, I'll be going to the Ohio Library Council Southwest Chapter Conference and letting the Miami Valley Association of Volunteer Administrators' Volunteer Fair go on without me.  This afternoon I will help them set up for that and carry out some of my treasurer responsibilities.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2006, 05:30:41 AM »

Going home?

Only in my dreams, or if I go back to stalking again.
“One thing’s universal,

Ginny

« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2006, 05:33:41 AM »

TOD - Ken Watanabe
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2006, 05:34:16 AM »

Good Morning!

...Well, I just got home...

-Anything wrong with that?

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2006, 05:34:49 AM »

~~~~~VIBES for DR elmore's father~~~~~
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2006, 05:35:34 AM »

On a sadder note, my 85 year-old father could use some vibes:  on Monday he undergoes surgery for cancer in his colon and possibly liver.  Thanks!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~vibes for elmore's father~~~~[/move]
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2006, 05:37:05 AM »

I just had the nicest surprise.  I had received an email from my publisher yesterday inquiring about a piece, and I decided to check out his page on me to see if an MP3 file I sent him had been entered yet.  It hadn't. but I discovered there are MP3 files for two other pieces I'd written that I didn't know existed!

They are the "Appalachian Carols" which I wrote for my father, born in Louisa Kentucky, 1921, and the "Provencal Carols," both first performed by the New York City Gay Men's Chorus chamber choir.  These sound files are not the NYCGMC performances, so I don't know where my publisher found them.  I've always regretted the chorus didn't do either set on their Christmas recording for Virgin because I think they're two of the best things I ever wrote.  Now, if only "America the Beautiful" would show up!  If you'd like a listen to things I've done, my publisher has a few here:

http://yrmusic.com/v2/artists/bios/artist.php?ID=11

Larry, I am so proud to be able to say that I know you.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2006, 05:39:23 AM »

Good Morning!

...Well, I just got home...

-Anything wrong with that?

;)

Well, apparently two performances, yesterday, were not enough!

« Last Edit: April 06, 2006, 05:41:55 AM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2006, 05:40:55 AM »

WFO, what a pleasure to see you posting again.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2006, 05:42:59 AM »

Good morning, vixmom!
“One thing’s universal,

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2006, 05:43:28 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

The only Japanese movies that come to mind right now are the Godzilla and other monster movies of that ilk.

Japanese actors/actresses.... Hmm... Miyoshi Umeki for sentimental reasons.  :)  "I think I am going to like it here."

Now Japanese food.... Sushi - I used to think that everything tasted the same - at least the raw stuff - it was just a matter of different colors and different textures.  However, I've gotten to the point where I really do appreciate and savor very fresh and impeccably prepared nigiri and sashimi, with my favorites being tuna, toro (fatty tuna), and yellowtail.

However, cooked Japanese cuisine also has it's pleasures.  Negimaki - thinly sliced beefed wrapped around scallions, then grilled... Tempura - amazing how deep-frying almost anything can make it taste that much better ;)...  Katsu - breaded and fried (again) cutlets of pork or chicken over rice... Udon - good noodles in good broth are a cure all...  I even like broiled eel.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ben

« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2006, 05:44:28 AM »

Larry vibes and good thoughts to you and your father!!!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2006, 05:44:56 AM »

...And now I shall attempt to catch up on the posts from the past two days or so...  Hmm...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2006, 05:51:46 AM »

Elmoore3003, good health vibes to your dad!!

MBarnum

« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2006, 05:56:25 AM »

As some know I love all things Japanese, and have since I was a tike!!

And I also very much enjoy all types of Japanese food...a favorite being broiled eel.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #52 on: April 06, 2006, 05:59:47 AM »

TOD:

Katsu Shintaro  as Zatoichi, the Blind Swordsman.  We watch these movies at 9 AM every Saturday morning

Seven Samauri
RAN

and there is a Japanese evening soap opera type show about a Japanese American girl raised in Hawaii who is attending university in Japan and living with her Japanese relatives that I catch every so often.  I can't think of the name of it at the moment.

As for Japanese food... hmm I'm with TCB on this one. Benihana,  Gashos.. Japanese Hibachi is my idea of good eating!!.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2006, 06:37:53 AM by vixmom »
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

MBarnum

« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2006, 06:04:50 AM »

Favorite Japanese actresses include:

Kumi Mizuno

Momoko Kochi

and of course Miss Shirley Yamaguchi

« Last Edit: April 06, 2006, 06:06:51 AM by MBarnum »

Ben

« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2006, 06:05:15 AM »

Hey, Donald! Thanks for another great radio show. April Showers bring lots of openings.

Jennifer

« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2006, 06:11:35 AM »

Re: last night's AMERICAN IDOL results.

I got home just as Ryan was separating the groups into 3 groups of 3.

We had kellie/chris/taylor (it was obvious they were the top group), mandisa/paris/elliot, and katharine/ace, bucky.

As soon as they did this, I had a really strong feeling that they did it to make us all think that it was katharine/ace/bucky who were the bottom three.  They love to do stuff like that. And since it seemed obvious chris/kellie/taylor were the top (i think mostly due to simon proclaiming they would finish top 3) I knew it would be one of mandisa/paris/elliot going home.

And of those three i really wanted it to be mandisa who left.

I am not too thrilled with someone who had never been bottom 3 leaving. But i like paris and elliot more than mandisa.  I do think she has a nice voice. But there was something about her personality that really never appealed to me.

I do like it when they split the contestants like that. More interesting.

Jennifer

« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2006, 06:13:01 AM »

As for COLD CASE, as DR MattH said, I wasn't too fond of the show. I loved watching Adam Pascal and Laura Bell Bundy. ANd i loved the idea of the CABARET episode. But I thought the actual show was not good. The way they solved the case (by having each character give them all the answers) was not to my liking.  But i still enjoyed the show because of the musical theatre aspect.

And John Rubenstein was good too.

MBarnum

« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2006, 06:16:08 AM »

For Japanese actors I go for:

Hiroshi Koizumi

Akira Takarada

Akira Kubo

Jennifer

« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2006, 06:16:14 AM »

As for last night's TAR.

I didn't really enjoy the show as much as i have. And it wasn't just because a nice team went home.  I don't like it when they have eliminations on non-travelling episodes.  There was so little for them to do last night (drive, count fence posts, carry a fish, and score a goal). I just didn't find there was enough for them to have an elimination.

Basically everyone stayed in the same places (except the frat boys/hippies who arrived at the first place together, and the last 2 who were 5 minutes apart to start).

And while i liked the team who lost, i have been disappointed in their abilities. They showed promise in the beginning. But really have not done well or shown much lately.

Right now the top 2 teams are very deserving. But the rest fall way behind.

Best line of the show. With fran watching barry trying to score the goal in the boat, "he is so pathetic!". Too funny.

Jennifer

« Reply #59 on: April 06, 2006, 06:18:33 AM »

Good vibes for DR Elmore's father.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
« Last Edit: April 06, 2006, 06:19:21 AM by Jennifer »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up