Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE PITH HELMET  (Read 19675 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:THE PITH HELMET
« Reply #90 on: April 06, 2006, 08:20:50 AM »

Except the INTERVIEW portion of the story (The second act?) paints Lestat as anything but a hero.  Louis is really the hero of that part of the chronicles.  Lestat is indeed very sexy, but he is hardly likeable in INTERVIEW. Naturally, the VAMPIRE LESTAT, since it is told by Lestat, it therefore makes him a much more likeable character.  Have they changed the  focus then, from Louis to Lestat?

Yes.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #91 on: April 06, 2006, 08:21:49 AM »

I apologize.  I am on heavy-duty Vicadin today, so I am probably not making a lot of sense.  I should probably just go back to bed.

You're making plenty of sense, DR TCB.

Just enjoy the "ride".

;D

*But I do hope the Vicodin is helping to ease whatever needs easing.
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #92 on: April 06, 2006, 08:23:27 AM »

In light of today's subject heading"  Did I miss it, or has this classic joke already been mentioned here.  

PARENTAL WARNING - MATURE SUBJECT MATTER

The mythical Greek gods and friends threw a helluva party. It went on day and night with much drinking, carousing, and coupling. The next morning, the god Thor awoke much the worse for wear. He felt terrible. He was still in bed when a stunning young goddess walked in. He didn't remember her from the party but manfully got up to introduce himself.

"Hello, I am Mighty Thor" he says.

She says "You're mighty Thor? I'm tho thor I can hardly pith!"

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #93 on: April 06, 2006, 08:24:15 AM »

Except the INTERVIEW portion of the story (The second act?) paints Lestat as anything but a hero.  Louis is really the hero of that part of the chronicles.  Lestat is indeed very sexy, but he is hardly likeable in INTERVIEW. Naturally, the VAMPIRE LESTAT, since it is told by Lestat, it therefore makes him a much more likeable character.  Have they changed the  focus then, from Louis to Lestat?

I can't speak for the production now going forward, but the San Francisco production of "LESTAT" mostly focused on the character Lestat.\

It's Lestat's story and history, but what you remember from Louis' story is also included -- the New Orleans years, Claudia, the Theater of Vampires, etc.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #94 on: April 06, 2006, 08:24:43 AM »

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #95 on: April 06, 2006, 08:26:01 AM »

I can't speak for the production now going forward, but the San Francisco production of "LESTAT" mostly focused on the character Lestat.\

It's Lestat's story and history, but what you remember from Louis' story is also included -- the New Orleans years, Claudia, the Theater of Vampires, etc.

That's right, Ron, I forgot that you saw it first.
“One thing’s universal,

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #96 on: April 06, 2006, 08:26:23 AM »

The character is question (one of the regulars) was being harassed because he wasn't as masculine as others thought he should be, therefore, he must be gay.  In order to prove his heterosexuality, he was doing things like lowering his voice when he questioned suspects and going a day without shaving to show his manly qualities.  I don't know, it just seemed so stupid.  Some of the most hetero sexual men I know, are in some ways the most effeminate; because they have no fear of showing their softer (i.e. feminine) side.

Am I making any sense?

Yes, indeed, and I don't blame you for getting angry. People are so quick to stick labels on people who don't conform to their way of looking at the world, and I would have had NO patience with that kind of thinking at all.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #97 on: April 06, 2006, 08:27:39 AM »

Headed down now to get cleaned up for my lunch outing.

WBBL.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #98 on: April 06, 2006, 08:27:49 AM »

You're making plenty of sense, DR TCB.

Just enjoy the "ride".

;D

*But I do hope the Vicodin is helping to ease whatever needs easing.

Well, the Vicodin certainly helps the pain; but unfortunately, it makes it difficult to function as a real human being.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2006, 08:37:51 AM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #99 on: April 06, 2006, 08:28:47 AM »

The character is question (one of the regulars) was being harassed because he wasn't as masculine as others thought he should be, therefore, he must be gay.  In order to prove his heterosexuality, he was doing things like lowering his voice when he questioned suspects and going a day without shaving to show his manly qualities.  I don't know, it just seemed so stupid.  Some of the most hetero sexual men I know, are in some ways the most effeminate; because they have no fear of showing their softer (i.e. feminine) side.

Am I making any sense?

By golly, you ARE!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #100 on: April 06, 2006, 08:30:02 AM »

Hmmm, interesting combination... Vicodin and coffee.

"We kick your butt, while we wake you up?"

« Last Edit: April 06, 2006, 08:40:16 AM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #101 on: April 06, 2006, 08:33:07 AM »

By golly, you ARE!

Why, thank you, Ron.
“One thing’s universal,

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #102 on: April 06, 2006, 08:33:46 AM »

Well, the Vicadin certainly helps the pain; but unfortunately, it makes it difficult to function as a real human being.

I'm sure it affects different people...errr...umm...differently.

I found it made it impossible for me to concentrate on anything like reading or watching a movie...or even a TV show.  I was too hyper.

A side effect was that I found myself cleaning everything in sight.  Of course, if you're not ambulatory or if dusting and wiping and scrubbing are a problem, it probably won't have that effect.  But if you can stand and clean, even if you have to do it with only one arm/hand, amazing things can be accomplished.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #103 on: April 06, 2006, 08:35:34 AM »

I'm sure it affects different people...errr...umm...differently.

I found it made it impossible for me to concentrate on anything like reading or watching a movie...or even a TV show.  I was too hyper.

A side effect was that I found myself cleaning everything in sight.  Of course, if you're not ambulatory or if dusting and wiping and scrubbing are a problem, it probably won't have that effect.  But if you can stand and clean, even if you have to do it with only one arm/hand, amazing things can be accomplished.

Gee, would you be willing to come over and demonstate?
“One thing’s universal,

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #104 on: April 06, 2006, 08:37:02 AM »

We open Tuesday, April 25.

:)

*It's a really crazy opening week schedule.  We have our final preview on Monday - Opening on Tuesday night - early curtain at 6:30.  Then shows Wednesday and Thursday night.  Then two(!) shows on Friday, and two more on Saturday.  However, we're off that Sunday and Monday.  Sort of...

That Monday is the day we're supposed to go into the studio to record the cast album.

:)

*I know I cried a little bit - tears of joy - when I first opened the Playbill... God knows what I'll be like when I see my name in the liner notes.

Ohhhh...to be young(ish), and on the cusp of realizing an extraordinary dream!

Well done, Jose!  Huzzah!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~KEEP THE DREAM ALIVE~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move][/size]
« Last Edit: April 06, 2006, 08:37:54 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #105 on: April 06, 2006, 08:38:47 AM »

Gee, would you be willing to come over and demonstate?

I'm a proponent of self-discovery!

Ooh!  What was THAT?!!!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #106 on: April 06, 2006, 08:41:18 AM »

And, oh! yes!  Here are some.....

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~BEST WISHES/GOOD HEALTH~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]

...vibes for Papa Moore!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #107 on: April 06, 2006, 08:42:45 AM »

Ohhhh...to be young(ish), and on the cusp of realizing an extraordinary dream!

Well done, Jose!  Huzzah!

I agree, Ron.  How wonderful this must be for you, Jose.
“One thing’s universal,

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #108 on: April 06, 2006, 08:43:25 AM »

Imagine what it's going to be like for the rest of us...when we buy our cast album for Lestat...and we see the name Jose Simbulan in the credits!

Who will believe we know this guy?  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #109 on: April 06, 2006, 08:44:33 AM »

I shall now be on my way to LACC for our workshop and reading of the new musical, after which, I shall return with a full report.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #110 on: April 06, 2006, 08:45:15 AM »

Imagine what it's going to be like for the rest of us...when we buy our cast album for Lestat...and we see the name Jose Simbulan in the credits!

Who will believe we know this guy?  

Now, wait a minute!  It is not going to say JoseSPiano???
“One thing’s universal,

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #111 on: April 06, 2006, 08:49:13 AM »

Now, wait a minute!  It is not going to say JoseSPiano???

Uh-OH!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #112 on: April 06, 2006, 08:49:58 AM »

I shall now be on my way to LACC for our workshop and reading of the new musical, after which, I shall return with a full report.

"Break a leg", as it were!  Hope you get some wonderful readings!

Matt H.

« Reply #113 on: April 06, 2006, 09:18:55 AM »

Maybe it will say DR JoseSPiano!!!   :D

Ginny

« Reply #114 on: April 06, 2006, 09:23:57 AM »

TOD - food division

In 1990, 1991, and 1992, we had 3 (one each year) college girls from Japan stay with us for 3 and a half weeks.  They were told to be prepared to cook for their host families and the first two had obviously learned just enough to meet that requirement.  But, the third, Yuko, was a very accomplished cook.  She introduced us to

Okonomiyaki

which we liked very much.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #115 on: April 06, 2006, 09:27:52 AM »

As some know I love all things Japanese, and have since I was a tike!!

DR MBarnum - from all the Japanese visitors we've had in our home we have tons of "swag."  Would you like some of it?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #116 on: April 06, 2006, 09:30:13 AM »

Good day everyone. I had a nice evening where I get some writing done last night and fell asleep on the couch....

Hmmm on the TOTD, I am on shaky ground here for am not familiar with Japanese cuisine and cinema.

I have seen a few Japanese films such as Akira Kurosawa's film Ran and a couple of Godzilla ones.  I found Ran to be interesting and I enjoyed it.

I also remember a telemovie many years ago, about a tragic part of US history during World War II when Japanese-Americans were sent to Internment camps on the west coast and as far inland as North Dakota and Minnesota. I remember vaguely seeing a film called Farewell to Manzanar. I had to read the book some years later for an American History survey course. My professor for the class, Mr. H. Lee, was of Japanese and Korean descent. A very fascinating individual and I learned a lot about the cold war and Asian history from him. Quite the character also :)

I am not familiar with Japanese actors but I hope Japanese-Americans are acceptable. I really enjoyed watching the work of the late Pat Morita even though I thought some of the material given to him was less than worthy of his talent.

I also enjoy George Takei from Star Trek. A fascinating man. His book was rather interesting.

Matter of fact ND and MN also had POW camps but that is a subject for another day.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2006, 09:34:37 AM by DakotaCelt »
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #117 on: April 06, 2006, 09:33:20 AM »

Food wise: I have had sushi.. Not bad...

Love Thai food. Fargo just got a Thai restaurant. We have a few Chinese, Thai, and Indian Restaurants and now a Japanese/Korean restaurant.

We also have three Bosnian restaurants and one Middle Eastern one.  However one of my faves is the Greek Restaurant.  

I like to go and have noodles at Japanese/Korean restaurant. They make great sushi.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Ginny

« Reply #118 on: April 06, 2006, 09:38:09 AM »

My lunchtime entertainment, right now, is listening to the audio files for which DR Elmore posted the link earlier.  They are exquisite.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #119 on: April 06, 2006, 09:40:03 AM »

I have seen Iron Chef before. Interesting to watch the Japanese chefs conjure up some fascinating dishes.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Up