Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: GENERAL UNEASE  (Read 15086 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re:GENERAL UNEASE
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2006, 06:32:49 AM »

Hmmm....none of my pictures are attached lately...and I get no error messages, but DR DAKOTA CELT's pictures were fine...

I don't understand.

DRJRand55, the other day I was unable to post a photo as well.  I think it's the ozone.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2006, 06:42:47 AM »

The store was CRAZY yesterday....and people want to shop even though they know the store is CLOSED!  I guess they figure as long as they can get in the door by 7 pm, they can stay as long as they want.
We get that at the market sometimes, and our doors close at 11 pm.  Fortunately, I'm not usually on that late a shift, but I have worked 'til closing a couple of times.  And we're open 24/7 during the summer.   :-\
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2006, 06:45:59 AM »

Patience, college production.

Mikado, college production, stage managed.

HMS, D'Oily Carte in London, found it too hammy.

And I've got the Papp Pirates on DVD, terrible taping but it gives a good idea of the fun of the staging.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2006, 06:49:17 AM »

I got an email from the director of SEUSSICAL last night about 11 pm.  He is having special auditions for the Cat in the Hat in the middle of THE SOUND OF MUSIC auditions today and Monday - because he has to know if the Cat will be cast as a male OR female (I know, I know).
Neutered or spayed, what a decision to have to make!

;D

Cillaliz

« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2006, 07:30:32 AM »

Thanks to all for the good thoughts epecially Francois, you are a dear. I hope you are right about Nilla not remembering. Nothing will change today. The vet will be stopping today while doing his rounds to check on Nilla at the vet hospital, but he's not coming home today.  I feel very sad and drained but I have to get everything ready fro my trial tomorrow, so I need to focus.  I think I may take a walk....I found out yesterday that all I needed to do was wear my earth shoes and I feel no pain in my feet. At least that's something

Cillaliz

« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2006, 07:32:53 AM »

I had breakfast with Paul this morning.  I told him I really didn't need all that to happen right now, while I'm prepping for a trial.  He said  "So when exactly is a good time to be attacked by a cat?"   LOL, he did make me laugh.   Sort of like people saying they didn't need to get hit by a tornado today.  There never is a good day for that either

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2006, 07:43:57 AM »

Good morning!

Gorgeous day out but very chilly. Not supposed to get out of the mid 60s today, but not a cloud in the sky and very bracing to walk around in the cool spring air.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2006, 07:45:16 AM »

Last night, DR George wrote:

"I taped but haven't watched last week's "Desperate Housewives."  My mom borrowed my tape and hasn't gotten it back to me, yet.  If I'm not able to get it tomorrow, I'll have to tape tomorrow night's show and watch it after I get last week's episode.  I don't feel that that's the kind of show that can (should) be watched out of sequence."

No sweat! DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES doesn't come on tonight at all (a two hour EXTREME MAKEOVER takes the time slot), so you have some leeway!

Matt H.

« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2006, 07:56:38 AM »

DR Jennifer, the shock for me was that THumper was in the structure that was demolished. I thought that maybe that was the school bathroom or something innocuous to humiliate him. But these guys don't play the humiliation game when one of their own got killed. It's an eye-for-an-eye with them.

I do think Weivel knew THumper was going to be killed. Whether he knew the method or not isn't important, at least I don't think so.

Matt H.

« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2006, 07:59:49 AM »

I think I'm a little more even tempered today and can watch the heartbreaking BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN to its conclusion (I just couldn't handle that yesterday).

I think I'll put BLONDE VENUS from the Dietrich set to watch. I've had it on laserdisc for a long time, so I'll be anxious to see how they compare.

I think I'd also like to watch the 1969 GOODBYE, MR. CHIPS on laserdisc since there has been talk recently about this musical.

Matt H.

« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2006, 08:02:38 AM »

Yesterday, a friend and I were talking about THE YELLOW ROLLS ROYCE, a movie I haven't seen since I saw it at Radio City Music Hall back in the 1960s. My friend had it on laserdisc, but I don't.

Last night, I searched the internet and found the LP soundtrack (which I already have) but not the laserdisc of the movie which I was interested in buying.

Lo and behold, I see that the movie is coming on TCM this week, and I can burn my own DVD copy. Doesn't look like Warners is in any hurry to issue this on DVD. (I'm assuming the MGM film is under their control.)

Matt H.

« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2006, 08:04:01 AM »

I'm also going to be able to burn a DVD of LOVELY TO LOOK AT this week since it's also coming on TCM (tomorrow, in fact). I have the restored Technicolor enhanced videotape, but the sound on it is sometimes kind of funky, and the DVD will have much high resolution, so I'm eager to get that done, too.

Matt H.

« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2006, 08:07:09 AM »

I have that live recording of the Papp PIRATES OF PENZANCE, too. Not because I like the piece, but one suffers through most anything to see Kevin Kline in his true heyday.

Before Brent Barrett assumed the title of WSMA, I think Kevin Kline was right up there among the finalists.

Ginny

« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2006, 08:15:10 AM »

Sunday morning greetings!  Yesterday was a wilder-than-usual Saturday at work, which is why I didn't have time to log on here.  Even my lunch half-hour was cut short.  DH Richard met me at the end of my work day and we walked to the restored

Old Court House

in downtown Dayton.  There we attended the To Kill a Mockingbird gala, the finale to our second annual Big Read.  It was quite a sparkling event, with great southern food, presentation of 6 Atticus Finch Quiet Hero Awards (one to a favorite nonprofit client of mine), and, of course, Tequila Mockingbirds to drink (actually a watery Margarita, but fun nonetheless!).
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2006, 08:21:06 AM »

DR Cillaliz - I was sorry to read of your cat difficulties last night.  Hope it all turns out OK.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2006, 08:24:05 AM »

Today I'm planning to take it easy, maybe watch a DVD or 2, before I have to pick up my mom and her sister at 5pm.  We're joining their neighbors on the Otterbein Retirement Community bus to go to Music Hall in Cincinnati for the Pops' celebration of Erich Kunzel's 40th anniversary with them.  Guest conductor is Keith Lockhart (on whom my mother has a terrific crush) and guest performer is Faith Prince.  Should be a great show!

Matt H.

« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2006, 08:30:29 AM »

Heading down now to start laundry and then start lunch preparation.

WBBL.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2006, 08:48:56 AM »

Well, Ginny! Enjoy the concert! sounds like it will be a lot of family girl get-together fun.

I went with my two sisters yesterday to look at slabs o' granite, for my younger sister's kitchen re-do. Gosh, slabs of stone!! I was enthralled. Slice into a mountain, and see eons... it was deeply spiritual for me... my sister's were a little perplexed by my reaction to potential counter tops...

Cillaliz! Sorry about the cat stuff. I am very respectful of cats - I don't really understand them; they are more like lizards or insects than other mammals I've known. An alien life form, revered and approached with great humility. My friend Eva Moon, the singer songwriter, has a song called Ankle Biter about one of her cats.

It's kind of a muted, cloudy day here at Playa Vista. Silence, except for the hummm of certain appliances and the computer. No random voices from the complex - people with day jobs sleep in on Sundays, I'm guessing.

I remember Sundays - my dad played softball and we played in the park, picked those little lawn-daisies, climbed oddly-shaped trees we gave names to - like Bigfoot -  while he argued with umpires and focused on the ball. Then, stopped on the way home at the Jewish Bakery to get bagels and rye bread and challah, rugelach and walnut coffee rings for the week - the baker used to hand us those wonderful little butter cookies to keep us quiet. Then to the deli for pickles and smoked cod and lox and a pint of that whipped cream cheese. Then the news stand for the Herald Examiner and the LA Times - about 15 pounds of newspaper, gift-wrapped in Comics!!!

Then brunch and papers on their big bed, with dogs and kids, and fighting over the comics. How did I miss all those details back then? Well, if I can see and smell it all now, I guess I didn't really miss it - I just didn't have a clue, back then, how important the memory would be this Sunday...
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2006, 08:51:02 AM »

Good morning, Ben.
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2006, 08:56:13 AM »

The ex saved a phone message from New Year's Eve 1990. I found it and played it last week - it was my dad, calling to say Happy New Year - the whole message is just him, singing Auld Lang Syne. The first and only time I ever heard him sing in tune. He actually had a voice. He used to pretend to think music was just for women and fairies - but secretly loved it. Oh, how he enjoyed the family dinners when Grandma would play the piano and we all sang. After he had had a couple of drinks, he would sing with us - his head shaking to the rhythm of his vibrato - never in the same key as the rest of us - transported and happy. He had us as proxies for a lot of his appreciation of beauty.
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2006, 09:05:51 AM »

Oh! Speaking of the ex!!! He came into town on Friday night, for an audition on Saturday. Then hopped into the ol' CRX to drive back to Phoenix immediately. Well, the car gets somewhere between 42 and 47 miles per gallon. So he filled it when he left Phoenix on Friday, drove to Agoura Hills to stay at my sister Rikki's place over night, drove to his audition in the morning, then put ONE GALLON of gas in for the drive back.

Chuck, ONE GALLON?? yeah. See, he had 3 one-dollar bills, and a few twenties... instead of breaking a large bill, he just got $3 worth. Oh, okay, I get it. Makes sense, now.

Anyhow, I'm talking to him on the phone, when I left my sister's and headed back to the Marina. He's in the middle of the desert, somewhere between California and Arizona. He suddenly says - there's something strange happening with this car! It's making odd sputtering noises.

And it sputtered for a couple of minutes, and then just stopped. It COULDN'T be outa gas - he had only driven 523 miles, and he HAD just put a whole gallon in. Maybe he had miscalculated! Hahahahahahaaa! At least he laughed about it when I did the math for him (he has always been a bit a-numeric...). So he called 911, and a smokey stopped by, and called a guy, and within half an hour, a truck came with a gallon of gas for him. Only cost him $110.

Chuckie relayed all this info to me laughing, in that sonorous baritone, when he called me back. He used to not have such a sense of humor about life -
PennyO

Ginny

« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2006, 09:06:23 AM »

Hi, Penny!  You have lovely memories and express them beautifully.

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2006, 09:07:42 AM »

Oooohhhh - time for another cuppa java...
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2006, 09:08:10 AM »

Thank you, Gins!
PennyO

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2006, 09:25:03 AM »

G'morning, General Unease; Corporal Queasy here.  So...what were you doing in the recording studio with Mr. Guy Haines?  Recording, yeah, I know...But what?  Despite my hopes, it sounded like a one-shot deal and not another album.  What was it?  What was it for?

And remember: When you tell a story, amourous or gory, you can tell it best, if you gesticulate!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2006, 12:15:29 PM by Charles Pogue »

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2006, 09:27:57 AM »

hi, pogue!
PennyO

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2006, 09:52:37 AM »

We're thinking about issuing the Sondheim benefit from SF on CD.  It will all depend on the final edit and sound, but they've gotten it to sound pretty decent from what I've heard, there are a lot of good Sondheim songs, and I wouldn't mind having a Sondheim album on Kritzerland.  When Guy did his number "live" he insisted on having balloons, which always seemed to be in front of his face.  When you have a head mic and sing into balloons the sound phases out and sounds grotesque, hence we had to replace the vocal.  Guy was marching around the room and was able to match what he did vocally during the show.  

If I am to be honest (and I am), I don't know that I've ever seen a Gilbert and Sullivan operetta on stage.  Maybe I saw a touring version of the Papp Penzance, but that would be it, I'm afraid.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: April 09, 2006, 10:13:43 AM »

I'm back from a lovely brunch with DRs Maria, Jose, and his charming friend Andy, and a good time was had by one and all.  I am now going to read today's newspapers and perhaps watch that Rosie O'Donnell documentary on HBO.  New York is beautiful today, after being quite ugly yesterday.  The taxi ride back to the Upper West Side filled me up with love for this City, which I don't always have, and this is my time to chill out for a bit.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #58 on: April 09, 2006, 10:15:49 AM »

Elmo - I LOVE noo yawk! A beautiful day in the City is unlike any other beautiful day anywhere else!!! Oh, Happy Sunday!
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #59 on: April 09, 2006, 10:22:28 AM »

TOD seems to be G&S - I loved the Joe Papp Pirates with Kevin Kline as the Pirate King. Seen a Mikado or two, Pirates in other productions - good and bad - and Pinafore, the score of which I consider perfection, indeed! Seen Yeomen and Ruddigore and Gondoliers. Sang in Iolanthe a couple of times. Sang Mabel and Josephine a few times. Heard some - egad!- Excerpt concerts. LOVE the Mikado performance backdrop to the final scenes of the Goldie Hawn/Chevy Chase film, Foul Play!! I am a G&S fan, but not so fanatic as some of my acquaintances! I pay my proper homage in a few chapters in Jewish Thighs.
PennyO
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up