Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: GENERAL UNEASE  (Read 15088 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
GENERAL UNEASE
« on: April 09, 2006, 12:10:28 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes had a general unease not unlike mine own, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they, too, are feeling a general unease and are moving about lethargically, like a gazelle in pasties.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2006, 12:09:34 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:GENERAL UNEASE
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2006, 12:10:51 AM »

And the word of the day is: GESTICULATE!

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2006, 12:23:42 AM »

The should of course be a silent "u' in guesticulate.

At times my Teachers would say that to me on noticing my tardiness.

Guest I C U  (R) Late.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2006, 03:09:22 AM »

I know precisely the feeling of unease BK is experiencing.  

I've experienced it a few times in my life, as well.  It's most unsettling.  I normally slap myself out of of it...err...oh!  I typed "slap" but I meant snap...yes, "snap" myself out of it.

Unfortunately, the amount of effort that can take truly depends on the root behind the unease (or dis-ease, which is a perfectly good word for it, if pronounced properly).

I hope you either shake it off or discover its cause and eradicate it, Bruce.

I'm rather wondering if it isn't simply because things are -- from my viewpoint -- going so professionally well for you that your unease may be that you're waiting for something to happen to disrupt it all.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2006, 10:17:32 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2006, 03:15:18 AM »

I had a most interesting Saturday at home.  

Interesting to me...I daresay it's of relative disinterest to many.

I spent the bulk of my day listening to CDs....piles of CD that hadn't even been opened NEEDED listening to.

After all...if something is wrong with one of them, one must know about it so that it can be sent back for a replacement.  I need to keep that in mind for my DVD piles, as well.

At any rate, I truly needed no prodding to sit and have a listen to my new 3-CD original soundtrack recording of the musical "Goodbye, Mr. Chips."  I had read on another messageboard that some folks had discovered they had a disc in their sets that would not play or would skip around.  I wanted no such silliness coming out of my set, I can tell you.

And none did.  All three discs played beautifully.  And I have to say it was a mesmerizing listen, all three discs. And there were some emotional moments, to be sure, hearing this stuff sound this good.  All the alternate cues and the interview tracks and the demo recordings rather make a sumptuous wallow for a true fan of this film (which I believe myself to be).

Now...if only someone could release the stereo recording made of the original score Andre Previn wrote for an earlier version of the project...wow!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2006, 03:24:09 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2006, 03:22:00 AM »

Another CD I spent a good deal of time with is the glorious score written by Marvin Hamlisch for "The Swimmer"...lyrical, melodic, lush and unsettlingly moving.  Orchstrators Leo Shuken and Jack Hayes doubtlessly worked some major miracles for Hamlisch's first foray into film scoring...there are nuances upon nuances and incredible emotional rushes throughout this wonderful score.

From "The Swimmer", I moved into "House of Bamboo" by Leigh Harline...the latest stereo 1950s score to be issued...and a real beauty it is.  It arrived in today's mail and it's a stunning score, with interesting occidental accents and strong melodic writing by Harline (Harline is known to most of you by his music for "Pinocchio", for which he won an Oscar for best score and another Oscar with Ned Washington for Best Song).

I then turned to Harline's equally wonderful, but considerably different, score to "Warlock"...an unusual western from 1959 that is mostly forgotten today but packs a considerable dramatic punch and has this marvellous score.  On the same CD with "Warlock" is Hugo Friedhofer's excellent score for a film called "Violent Saturday."

So...Bricusse dressed up by John Williams, and Leigh Harline and Hugo Friedhofer consumed my afternoon, engaged my senses and left me wonderfully drained.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2006, 03:35:47 AM »

But that wasn't enough. Oh, no.  I decided I had to watch one of my newly acquired DVDs.

So...what was it going to be?

I opted for one with a score I've long admired, but isn't available on a commercial recording...a score by composer Leonard Rosenman.

The movie was "Making Love."  I recall at the time it was released that the studio (Fox) felt it was doing something daring, but I never got that from the film.  I don't think the critics did, either.

It's a decent enough story, but it has these two marvellous characters played winningly by Michael Ontkean (Zach) and Kate Jackson (Claire).  It's their relationship at the beginning of the film that draws you in and convinces you that they're meant for one another.  And it's that relationship and the actors' performances at the end that break your heart because they cannot be together and cannot remain close friends because their love had been so special and strong.

It's what happens in the middle that becomes a muddle for me...despite what was established between him and Claire, Zach starts flirting with a latent homosexuality.  Of course, Claire doesn't have a clue.   But she starts suspecting something...because her "soulmate" has shut her out.  An affair is what she thinks he might be having, and she tries very hard to get him to open up.  Meanwhile, Zach's trading quips and "instructive" monologues with Harry Hamlin (Bart) in an attempt to both instruct and engage the audience into the complexities of (1) coming out, (2) being totally honest with everyone in your life, and (3) painting a portrait of two mean -- one of whom wants a lasting relationship with a man and another who is content to engage in hedonistic one-night stands.

And it's that middle bit that destroys the relationship we latch onto at the beginning and that breaks our hearts at the end.

Throughout it all, Rosenman's score is simply beautiful -- engaging and uplifting and heartbreaking in its own right.

I have a soft spot for Kate Jackson.  
« Last Edit: April 09, 2006, 03:40:43 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2006, 03:42:06 AM »

And there you have it...my day...plus some intermittent watching of various programs on TV in between CD listening and DVD watching.

And I have not yet been to bed, but am about to put my tired bones away for the night.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2006, 03:42:59 AM »

What I have waiting for me when I get up:  Doing my taxes!

(And no, I didn't wait too long.  They're simple.  I OWE and that's that.)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2006, 03:43:27 AM »

I must also have my weekly chat with mom at some point during the morning hours.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2006, 03:45:20 AM »

Meantime...the mattress warmer is doing its job.  It's not cold, but it's cool.

It's also not raining right now, but it's gonna start soon.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2006, 03:46:02 AM »

Since no one is around...and since I have just four more posts till I turn another corner...

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2006, 03:46:16 AM »

...I'm gonna do a few short posts...

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2006, 03:46:29 AM »

...and get myself to where I want to be.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2006, 03:46:39 AM »

Ta-da!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2006, 05:13:47 AM »

Allergies!  I hit the bed around 1 am, knowing I had to be up by 8 am, and spent more than an hour trying to relax while that damned blooming tree ouotside my window kept sending me little pieces of itself to clog my sinuses and throat.  I have no idea when I finally passed out, but I am not functioning at my normal already lowered capacity.  I would love to spend the day here, but there are friends to be seen and fun to be had.  

I'll start a topic and see how it fares:  our DR MattH wasn't convinced about Gilbert & Sullivan after Friday night's PINAFORE, which I consider one of Gilbert's least successful librettos cmpared to GONDOLIERS, MIKADO, IOLANTHE, or PATIENCE, which DR Danise and I saw last year at New York City Opera.  I love PINAFORE's score, although Sullivan's greatest, in my bbok, is IOLANTHE or YEOMAN OF THE GUARD.  Which Gilbert and Sullivan operas have you DRs seen, and were they professional or amateur performances?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jennifer

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2006, 05:55:32 AM »

DR George, DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES is not on tonight.  They have a 2 hour Extreme Home/makeover show on instead.

Michael

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2006, 05:59:16 AM »

Which Gilbert and Sullivan operas have you DRs seen, and were they professional or amateur performances?

The Mikado (Doyle Carte Opera)
Pirates of Penzance (NYCSC)
HMS PInafore (amateur, but very very good)

and various shoiws made for Canadian TV which I believe are on DVD
Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2006, 06:00:04 AM »

DR CILLA LIZ - oh my!  Hopefully it will be a more peaceful cat day today...and Nilla will feel better.

DR MARIA & Co.  have a great time in NYC!!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2006, 06:01:42 AM »

HMS PINAFORE....and I own a lovely recording of it that was recently recommended right here on HHW!

The store was CRAZY yesterday....and people want to shop even though they know the store is CLOSED!  I guess they figure as long as they can get in the door by 7 pm, they can stay as long as they want.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2006, 06:01:56 AM »

BRB....I am trying something.

Jennifer

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2006, 06:02:43 AM »

DR MattH, I wanted to ask you something about this week's VERONICA MARS.

spoilers.

Okay first off, if you want to see how smart I am, I actually watched the first 40 minutes, came online to post, and started reading your VERONICA review for this week (totally forgetting that i hadn't seen the last 20 minutes). Duh!  

Anyhow, you said the end had a shocking ending.  What exactly do you think happened?

I really didn't get it the first time I saw it.  But anyhow, it seemed like Logan pushed the destruction button.  And then we saw that the Thumper guy was in the bathroom, which we didn't realize was in the building.  Okay i think part of what confused me was that they then showed veronica watching the destruction on tv, but i thought thumper was watching the tv (they didn't change the scene).

And then we see weivel at confession.

So the Fitzpatricks put thumper in the building, and weivel is confessing to setting thumper up to get the fitzpatricks to go after him (thumper). I'm assuming weivel has no idea that thumper is in the building, right?

Sometimes i feel like you need to be really smart and quick to pick up on everything.

Another question, so the motorcycle that was in the building, who put it there? And why?  At first i thought that woody (is that the guy who logan was working for?) was involved.  The witness veronica found mentioned the bike (it belonged to thumper). So we're to assume that thumper killed felix (the guy logan was blamed for). But what does this have to do with the bus crash?

Jennifer

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2006, 06:03:18 AM »

DR Cillaliz, sorry about your cat. Hope it gets better.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2006, 06:12:05 AM »

Loved the buff pics, DR DAKOTA CELT....although that sounds a bit risque.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2006, 06:17:12 AM »

I got an email from the director of SEUSSICAL last night about 11 pm.  He is having special auditions for the Cat in the Hat in the middle of THE SOUND OF MUSIC auditions today and Monday - because he has to know if the Cat will be cast as a male OR female (I know, I know).

His choreographer is my cousin (yes THAT Madame Rose) - whose main job as a dance teacher is dragging her poor students to these dance competitions all over the country that mean absolutely NOTHING....but a run by profit-making exploitation cheaters....but THAT is another story.  Anyway, of course she is out of town at a "competition" - so he asked me if I could come in and do the dance part of the audition.

Well - my opinion of the score is nil because I am completely indifferent to the show....but I have been working on a bout 32 measures of some song from the CD....so hopefully it will be all right.

Other than that, I am just going to waltz with the adults auditioning for MUSIC and listening to them sing.  One woman called the director and asked him if it would just be all right if her daughter sang "Happy Birthday" - the director said, no.  And the woman said the daughter just wanted to be in the children's chorus.....  And the director had to break the news to her:  There is no children's chorus in THE SOUND OF MUSIC.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2006, 06:19:12 AM »

We are having renovations (more than a vase of flowers, DR GEORGE) done to the back yard and when I come home from the Cat Box this evening - here is what I will have:

Ladies & Gentlemen:

Blue Moon.  ;D
« Last Edit: April 09, 2006, 06:21:15 AM by JRand55 »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2006, 06:19:59 AM »

Hmmm....none of my pictures are attached lately...and I get no error messages, but DR DAKOTA CELT's pictures were fine...

I don't understand.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2006, 06:20:21 AM »

That is a picture of my new doggie....a husky....but you can't see it.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2006, 06:21:56 AM »

Off to shower and then to auditions.....  Now I think of WHAT IF? everytime I say that word.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2006, 06:25:27 AM »

he has to know if the Cat will be cast as a male OR female (I know, I know).

JRand, the Cat in the Hat is male.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up