Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: WHY IS THIS NIGHT DIFFERENT FROM ALL OTHER NIGHTS?  (Read 13175 times)

Ben

Re:WHY IS THIS NIGHT DIFFERENT FROM ALL OTHER NIGHTS?
« Reply #60 on: April 13, 2006, 08:18:14 AM »

After seeing Wedding Singer I think it will have to work very hard to be considered for Best Musical. I haven't seen Lestat or Tarzan yet but even with weak word of mouth on those two I can't imagine that they would choose Wedding Singer over either one of them.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #61 on: April 13, 2006, 08:22:06 AM »

Without question Miss Punk! It's available on the TKTS booth and through TDF. I hope you enjoy it as much as Larry and I. It's charming, funny, intelligent and I hope it's a hit!

Excellent, thank you! I'd seen it on TDF so I'm glad to hear it's an entertaining as well as cost effective choice.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #62 on: April 13, 2006, 08:23:29 AM »

Okay, laundry is in the washing machine and now I must exercise!

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #63 on: April 13, 2006, 08:23:39 AM »

~~~~Continued Health and Surgery Recovery Vibes~~~~

for elmore's dad
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Ginny

« Reply #64 on: April 13, 2006, 08:25:16 AM »

Speaking of Lestat, has anyone seen or heard from DR Jose lately?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jennifer

« Reply #65 on: April 13, 2006, 08:40:38 AM »

Re: last night's IDOL, I was happy with the results. I don't think Elliot should have been in the bottom 3. But when there are only 8 left, and 3 have to be in the bottom, then there is not a lot of choice.

So what exactly does american songbook comprise?  

Jennifer

« Reply #66 on: April 13, 2006, 08:44:12 AM »

I was also cracking up when DR Rodzinski mentioned carrot top girl. Too funny!

vixmom

« Reply #67 on: April 13, 2006, 08:45:54 AM »

WELLINGTON, New Zealand - Message to the Easter Bunny: You're not welcome in New Zealand.

Hundreds of hunters will stalk and shoot thousands of rabbits over Easter as part of moves to cut numbers of the big eating, fast breeding pests, which are not native to New Zealand and are blamed for destroying plants and pastures.

"The Easter icon is in fact a villain," said Chris Macann, a spokesman for Environment Canterbury, a government-backed group on New Zealand's South Island.

"It is very hard to get the message across that although these look like cute cuddly creatures we want them dead," he said.

To help that aim more than 400 shooters will converge on the South Island town of Alexandra this Easter weekend — for the 15th Great Easter Bunny Hunt.

More than 500 hunters bagged 21,000 rabbits and hares during last year's hunt in the hilly grasslands of the Central Otago region, said organizer Dave Ramsay. Last year's winning team bagged 1,800 bunnies.

vixmom

« Reply #68 on: April 13, 2006, 08:49:18 AM »

The Return of Smell-o-vison!

TOKYO - A theater audience in Japan will be sniffing their noses — literally — at a new Hollywood adventure film when it opens here later this month.

A new service from a major telecommunications company, NTT Communications Corp., will synchronize seven different smells to parts of "The New World," starring Colin Farrell.

A floral scent accompanies a love scene, while a mix of peppermint and rosemary is emitted during a tear-jerking scene. Joy is a citrus mix of orange and grapefruit, while anger is enhanced by a herb-like concoction with a hint of eucalyptus and tea tree.

The smells waft from special machines under the seats in the back rows of two movie theaters, which create different fragrances by controlling the mix of oils stored in the machines, company spokeswoman Akiko Suzaki said Wednesday.

In "The New World," which opened in the United States in December, Farrell plays American colonial leader John Smith, who is said to have been saved from execution by North American Indian princess Pocahontas.

Theaters will be able to download from the Internet different scent sequences for other films, Suzaki said.

The company began a similar service for homes in Japan last year. Owners of the $620 home version can download different programs to emit smells to accompany a horoscope reading or work as aromatherapy.

Owners must keep refilling the machine with fragrant liquids. NTT Communications would not disclose how many machines it has sold.

U.S. startups have developed similar technologies before, although at least one company had to shut down during the dot-com bust.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2006, 08:49:39 AM by vixmom »

vixmom

« Reply #69 on: April 13, 2006, 08:54:19 AM »

NEW YORK - Rescuers used drills, miniature cameras and a raw fish Wednesday to try to lure a kitten that has been trapped for 12 days behind a delicatessen’s basement wall.

The effort to free 11-month-old Molly, the deli’s resident mouser, was renewed early in the day, when workers heard her meowing after days of silence that had raised fears she had died.

An animal-rescue team tried using a tiny video camera attached to a plumber’s snake on Wednesday, but the sound of its drill may have spooked the peripatetic pussycat into retreating farther into the maze of walls in the 19th century brick structure in Greenwich Village.

“This is the most difficult case of this kind I’ve ever been on,” said Mike Pastore, field director of Animal Care & Control of New York City, which handles animal rescues for the city.

Normally Molly sleeps in a basket inside Myers of Keswick, a specialty deli offering clotted cream, Scotch eggs and other British foods.

Owner Peter Myers, 61, said he periodically pays a $300 fine for the health violation, “but if I didn’t have the cat I would be paying a $300 fine for having mice in the store. I saw a mouse running across the kitchen floor this morning.”

Molly, being a curious sort, apparently got trapped after slipping into a narrow space between two buildings, then falling or crawling through a hole to reach the deli cellar, Pastore said.

The police and fire departments have been on the scene but as of Wednesday were leaving the job to Pastore, whose agency receives about 120 stray or surrendered dogs and cats a day for temporary care and adoption.

Breaking into the walls is a delicate proposition because the building is a city landmark, Pastore said. Three observers from the city’s Landmarks Preservation Commission showed up Wednesday to make sure no serious structural damage occurs.

Others were pitching in to help. Neighbors left cans of cat food on the steps, and nearby restaurateur Renato Migliorini delivered a fresh, whole branzino fish.

“I hope it will come out, because I love cats and dogs,” Migliorini said.

Pastore wasn’t sure Molly could reach the food, and it was unclear whether she has access to water dripping from a drain.

This is the place Vixdad goes to when the need for British Sausage becomes overwhelming
« Last Edit: April 13, 2006, 08:57:06 AM by vixmom »

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #70 on: April 13, 2006, 09:02:04 AM »

Best hotel I ever stayed at was the San Ysidro Ranch in Monteceito, California.  Each room is a sepearate bungalow.  The place is rife with history...Ronald Colman owned it once.  Olivier and Vivian Leigh stayed there when they got married, I think JFK and Jackie did as well...It has the best restaurant I've probably ever eaten at...The Stone House.

When I did a screenwriting conference for the Cincinnati Film Commission, they put me up at the Netherland Hilton with a fine view of the Ohio River and another fine restaurant attached to it...Orchilds.

The most interesting place I ever stayed was The Golden Fleece in York, England.  It was a pub and an inn from Elizabethan times.  It was reputed to have a ghost. The floors and stairs were all uneven and you had to go down the Hall to use the loo, which made getting up in the middle of the night interesting.  In the morning they served the best English Breakfast I ever had.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #71 on: April 13, 2006, 09:12:12 AM »

Best health wishes go out to DR Ron Pulliam. He mentioned here yesterday he was not feeling well, and he hasn't posted much since, so I'm thinking he must really be under the weather.

Get well!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #72 on: April 13, 2006, 09:14:10 AM »

I thought Elliott had the strongest vocal of the night, so his inclusion in the bottom three was based strictly on the camera simply not loving him. He doesn't exude a lot of personality when he sings, and this hurts him. But I think he has the best voice of the singers who are left. (I think Mandisa had the best voice overall.)

Matt H.

« Reply #73 on: April 13, 2006, 09:16:11 AM »

THose American standards on the CD covers of theose three albums flashed by too fast, and I of course did have the ability to freeze frame them, but I got the gist. It was Tin Pan Alley, Broadway, movie tunes, etc. (I noticed "Time After Time" and "On the Street Where You Live" as they flashed by.)

vixmom

« Reply #74 on: April 13, 2006, 09:17:00 AM »

~~~Health Vibes to all what needs 'em!!!~~~

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #75 on: April 13, 2006, 09:26:32 AM »

Please send vibes to Mrs Rose Martins Toyo of the Ivory Coast, who only needs my bank account number and SS number to transfer $5.5 million to my account.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

vixmom

« Reply #76 on: April 13, 2006, 09:34:47 AM »

Morris calls his son in NY and says, "Benny, I have something to tell you. However, I don't want to discuss it. I'm merely telling you because you're my oldest child, and I thought you ought to know. I've made up my mind, I'm divorcing Mama."

The son is shocked, and asks his father to tell him what happened.

"I don't want to get into it. My mind is made up."

"But Dad, you just can't decide to divorce Mama just like that after 54 years together. What happened?"

"It's too painful to talk about it. I only called because you're my son, and I thought you should know. I really don't want to get into it anymore than this. You can call your sister and tell her.  It will spare me the pain."

"But where's Mama? Can I talk to her?"

"No, I don't want you to say anything to her about it. I haven't told her yet. Believe me it hasn't been easy. I've agonized over it for several days, and I've finally come to a decision. I have an appointment with the lawyer the day after tomorrow."

"Dad, don't do anything rash. I'm going to take the first flight down. Promise me that you won't do anything until I get there."

"Well, all right, I promise. Next week is Passover. I'll hold off seeing the lawyer until after the Seder. Call your sister in NJ and break the news to her. I just can't bear to talk about it anymore."

A half hour later, Morris receives a call from his daughter who tells him that she and her  brother were able to get tickets and that they and the children will be arriving in Florida the  day after tomorrow.

"Benny told me that you don't want to talk about it on the telephone, but  promise me that you won't do anything until we both get there."

Morris promises. After hanging up from his daughter, Morris turns to his wife and says,

"Well, it worked this time, but what are we going to do, to get them to come down next year?"

Ginny

« Reply #77 on: April 13, 2006, 09:35:04 AM »

TOD, continued:

Six or seven years ago at this time of year, DH Richard, DS Rob, and I wanted to visit Mammoth Cave National Park.  The nearby chain motels did not appeal to us, so I found on the internet:

Cave Spring Farm Bed & Breakfast

In addition to traditional B&B-type rooms in the main house, they have a pre-Civil War schoolhouse, which was perfect for our family.  Here's a photo:

"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

vixmom

« Reply #78 on: April 13, 2006, 09:35:25 AM »

Please send vibes to Mrs Rose Martins Toyo of the Ivory Coast, who only needs my bank account number and SS number to transfer $5.5 million to my account.

Wassamatta?  She didn't have MBarnums' email address?

vixmom

« Reply #79 on: April 13, 2006, 09:37:10 AM »

A little boy once returned home from Hebrew school and his father asked, "what did you learn today?"

He answered, "The Rabbi told us how Moses led the children of Israel out of Egypt."

"How?"  

The boy said "Moses was a big strong man and he beat Pharoah up.  Then while he was down, he got all the people together and ran towards the sea.  When he got there, he has the Corps of Engineers build a huge pontoon bridge.  Once they got on the other side, they blew up the bridge while the Egyptians were trying to cross."

The father was shocked.  "Is that what the Rabbi taught you?"

The boy replied, "No.  But you'd never believe the story he DID tell us!"

Ginny

« Reply #80 on: April 13, 2006, 09:38:54 AM »

Yummmm - just had Thai honey chicken (not spicy) from the jernt across the street from the library.

vixmom

« Reply #81 on: April 13, 2006, 09:40:34 AM »

The winter of 1994 was tough on many of Europe's root crops. A week before Passover the Jewish Community of Madrid found that the shipment of horseradish it had ordered from Bolivia would now not arrive until ten days after the Passover ended.

The community needed the horseradish for its traditional paschal ritual of Marror, but whomever they tried approaching from among the EU suppliers, they received the same reply "Sorry! No can do." In desperation, the Rabbi phoned one of his Yeshiva friends in Tel Aviv - who happened to be the second cousin of the Mashgiach for Agrexco - and begged him to organize the despatch of a crate of Israeli horseradish roots, by air-freight to Madrid.

It took the friend two days to organize, and two days before Passover, a crate of grade A tear-jerking Israeli horseradish roots was proudly loaded at Ben Gurion Airport onto the El-Al flight 789 to Madrid, and all seemed to be well.

Unfortunately when the Rabbi came to Madrid Airport in order to take the crate out of Customs, he was informed that an unforseen wildcat strike had just broken out among the members of the airport's Transport and General Workers Union, and no shipments would be unloaded for at least four days.

So you see, "The Chraine in Spain stayed mainly on the plane!"

vixmom

« Reply #82 on: April 13, 2006, 09:41:24 AM »

It seems a group of leading medical people have published data that indicates that Seder participants should NOT partake of both chopped liver and charoses.

It is indicated that this combination can lead to Charoses of the Liver.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #83 on: April 13, 2006, 09:41:35 AM »

From Rodzinsky:

Now here's a funny story HHWers may appreciate. Another thing that has kept me busy is I am directing a 10-minute play that a friend of mine wrote for a night of plays around the theme of Hamlet.

So I needed three women, and the writer had one girl in mind, then we cast a mutual friend, and we needed one more, so we went with a recommendation from another member of the theatre group. Well, I met the girl, and she seemed nice enough, and she spoke of having worked at MTI, so I say, "Hey, you might know my friend Jason." And she did know him.

Yesterday, I speak to Jason and ask him about her, and it turns out who is this girl, but the CARROT-EATING GIRL we used to read about right here at HHW!!!

More than funny, screaming out lout hysterical!! ;D

Did you hire her?

vixmom

« Reply #84 on: April 13, 2006, 09:42:15 AM »

Q: What do you call someone who derives pleasure from the bread of affliction?

A: A matzochist.

Jane

« Reply #85 on: April 13, 2006, 09:46:37 AM »

I'm ready for one of those glass top ranges that makes cleaning up from boil overs so much easier!!  

I love mine!!  The best cleaner we found for it is Cook Top by Elco.

vixmom

« Reply #86 on: April 13, 2006, 09:48:27 AM »

Our Passover Things.
(Sing to the tune of "OUR FAVORITE THINGS" FROM "THE SOUND OF MUSIC")
by The Bohnen, Levitt and Malina Families
Cleaning and cooking and so many dishes
Out with the hametz, no pasta, no knishes
Fish that's gefilted, horseradish that stings
These are a few of our Passover things

Matzah and karpas and chopped up haroset
Shankbones and kiddish and yiddish neuroses
Tante who kvetches and uncle who sings
These are a few of our Passover things.

Motzi and maror and trouble with Pharoahs
Famines and locusts and slaves with wheelbarrows
Matzoh balls floating and eggshell that clings
These are a few of our Passover things.

When the plagues strike
When the lice bite
when we're feeling sad
We simply remember our Passover things
And then we don't feel ... so bad ...
[/size]

Jane

« Reply #87 on: April 13, 2006, 09:49:10 AM »

TPUnk, that lively "Good morning" post with your photo with your arms up in the air combined just brightens my morning! LOL!

Me too, always puts a smile on my face.  The stories that go with it are fun too. :)

Jane

« Reply #88 on: April 13, 2006, 09:51:28 AM »

CP, Keith and I enjoyed the photo of the sleeping angels.

DakotaCelt-STARMAN, loved that movie.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: April 13, 2006, 09:56:07 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  Managed to sleep until nine, when I was awakened by a telephonic call (a nice one, at least).  It's a gorgeous day here in the City of Studio.  I shall try to write some stuff this morning.  

The house smells of Passover food.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up