Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: THE MYSTERY OF THE MISSING PHONE  (Read 24474 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE MYSTERY OF THE MISSING PHONE
« on: April 15, 2006, 12:07:30 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you know the surprise ending of The Mystery Of The Missing Phone, and now it is time for you to post until the missing cows come home.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2006, 12:10:38 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE MYSTERY OF THE MISSING PHONE
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2006, 12:07:50 AM »

And the word of the day is: EXFOLIATION!

Michael

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2006, 04:30:11 AM »

I once flew to NYC for a few hours to attend a theater auction at lincoln center. I then sold most of it on Ebay years later and that paid for my trip to LA.

My prize buy was Cole Porter's autograph on the Playbill from Around the World In 80 Days. Now if only Orson Welles would have signed it.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2006, 04:32:50 AM by Michael S »
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2006, 04:30:31 AM »

Good Morning Larry
Continued health vibes to your Dad
Never stop dreaming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2006, 04:38:33 AM »

Good morning, all!  Today I return to Toyland, rather like General MacArthur, plan my jaunt next week to the Library of Congress, perhaps work a bit on these fershlugenah reports for Acts Two, Three and Appendix, and then I hope to spend what's left of the day chilling out with a bit of Netflix.  My father should be comfortably ensconced by now at my brother's home, and I'll check on him later today.

TOD:  the most inane thing I've ever done could have been quite treacherous.  I was working on a concert in the early 1990s for the Men's Chorus, and I had had been at home for a couple of days churning out orchestrations for a Thursday night rehearsal.  At around 6:30, I grabbed  all the orchestra parts and headed fopr the subway.  While I was waiting for the train to arrive, I started thinking that I had left a large pot of boiling water, which I had been using as a a humidifier.  

Since I wouldn't be home for about 3 hours, I left the subway, went back to the apartment, walked into the kitchen, looked at the empty cauldron, turned the burner on, set the empty pot back on the burner and went to rehearsal.  I came back 3 hours later to find an ampty red-hot pan cooking on the stove.  God knows what I was thinking.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Michael

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2006, 04:40:06 AM »

Dear BK

Catching up on some notes from yesterday.

Dr Penny O "...WORLD OF SHOLEM ALECHEM (sp?) with Bruce."

Can you enlighten us on this? Here is a credit I did not know about.
Never stop dreaming.

Ben

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2006, 04:45:57 AM »

Francois, funny post from yesterday.

Tomovoz

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2006, 04:52:03 AM »

Morning all!!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2006, 04:53:12 AM »

Lovely dinner photo.  I am sure a good time was had by all....

Talking on the phone and then thinking you have lost the phone you are talking on.....

That reminds me of the couple of times Lucy was calling Ethel at the same moment that Ethel came in the back door and for some reason thought she was talking to her ON THE PHONE....always ending the conversation with:  "I'll talk to you later, Ethel, Ethel is here....."  With the requisite double take!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2006, 04:55:27 AM »

When does "Mrs Henderson....." come out on DVD?  I thought it was last week, but it wasn't in any of the stores I visited.

Inane?  Well....besides the exfoliation of the top of my head, which is really not MY idea....

Probably....it was setting up an appointment for one of the general auditions for the Indiana Repertory Theatre when I was 19 years old and without ANY acting experience to speak of.....and doing my two one-minute monologs....and then of course waiting and really expecting to HEAR back from them.

I don't even like to think about it.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2006, 04:56:03 AM »

Good morning TOMovOZ, MICHAEL, and BEN.

Off to work.   :)

Tomovoz

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2006, 05:00:48 AM »

Well I bought my copy of Mrs Henderson a few weeks back - but then it came from London!

Just watched "They Shoot Horses Don't They". Great movie IMHO.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2006, 05:05:55 AM »

Inane! I did attempt to mow our acre of grass here on our ride-on mower (I'm not a gardener and Colin was ill).
No-one told me I had to lower the blades.

Of course any attempt from me to play any sport was inane too!!
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2006, 07:13:34 AM »

Good morning!

We have a summer day here with clear blue skies and temps in the high 80s. Yikes! Summer in mid-April!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2006, 07:14:09 AM »

DR JRand, MRS. HENDERSON PRESENTS comes out on DVD this Tuesday in the US.

Matt H.

« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2006, 07:15:24 AM »

I was reading this morning about all the special features on the VALLEY OF THE DOLLS and BEYOND THE VALLEY OF THE DOLLS 2-disc special editions coming in June. Most of the features look like they're brand new for the sets. For lovers of camp, they should be priceless.

divarobbie

• There's always one step further down you can go...
    • RobbieRozelle.com
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2006, 07:16:32 AM »

FJL:  Yes, indeed, I was at that matinee.  Awful.  Just awful.

Matt H.

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2006, 07:18:19 AM »

Also saw the contents on the new boxed set of Shirley Temples movies: CAPTAIN JANUARY, JUST AROUND THE CORNER, and SUSANNAH OF THE MOUNTIES.

The last time Fox Movie Channel broadcast JUST AROUND THE CORNER, it was almost unwatchable with so much print damage it looked like it was almost a lost film. And since it doesn't look like Fox has done much restoration work on these sets, that may be one painful viewing experience.

They have been including black and white and colorized versions on these discs, and naturally I've always looked at the original versions, but I wonder if JUST AROUND THE CORNER's colorized version will be a better quality print. I would think all that damage would result in some freaky computer color effects if they used a damaged print to colorize.

Matt H.

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2006, 07:25:27 AM »

I do senile and inane things all the time. For example, I'll get it in my head that I want to tend to something during the next commercial of a show I'm watching. When the commercial comes, I start walking back to the bedroom part of the house, but by the time I get there, I don't know what it was I was going to do. In just a few minutes, the little chore has gone completely out of my head.

And I sure felt inane fouling up the playback of the recording of CSI just the other night. I hit the play button on the DVR, and all I got was a gray screen. I fast forwarded about 15 minutes, and it was all gray, so I assumed the network feed had been faulty and I deleted it. I chose another show on the DVR, one I had already started and wanted to resume, and it came out gray. Then I realized, I needed to reset the DVR, and once I did, all the shows came back. CSI would have been there, too, if I had just reset it before deleting the recording.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2006, 08:49:09 AM »

Shayne, it was a high school show, so you're not missing any credits.  It's mentioned at length, in fact, in Kritzer Time.

FJL

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2006, 09:03:40 AM »

Hooray!  Tax season 2006 is officially over for me (at least until after Labor Day, when a new mini-tax season begins).  The powers that be in the office seem to have decided that what's missing information as of yesterday is going on extension.  

Ginny

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2006, 09:06:33 AM »

Saturday greetings!  It stormed all night here.

This morning I woke up with a sick sinus headache.  After a light breakfast, some coffee, and 2 Tylenol, I went back to sleep for a couple of hours and am better now.

TOD - Once when I was home from college and my parents were both working, I decided to try a hint from a magazine and defrost the refrigerator (that should tell you how long ago it was!) with an electrical appliance (I think it was the electric skillet).  What wasn't supposed to happen was the closing of the refrigerator door!  It got so warm inside the 'frig that the shelves on the inside of the door melted.  It looked like a Salvador Dali sculpture and my mother was not amused.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2006, 09:08:34 AM »

Hooray!  Tax season 2006 is officially over for me (at least until after Labor Day, when a new mini-tax season begins).  The powers that be in the office seem to have decided that what's missing information as of yesterday is going on extension.  

DR FJL - People will be coming into my library right up until our 9pm closing time Monday to pick up their forms.  Glad it's my day off.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

FJL

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2006, 09:15:27 AM »

A recent inane moment:  

Skip and I were talking to a couple of folks, including someone whom Skip seemed to know quite well, about the production of CARNIVAL at Paper Mill, and that Charlie Pollock - who's the musical last Starfighter on the Kritzerland cast album - was in CARNIVAL.  (This was before I'd actually seen the Paper Mill production.)  And I chimed in "Oh, yeah, Eric Michael Gillett is also in that.  He was in Skip's show TIME AND AGAIN at MTC" and of course, it turned out that one of the people in the little group WAS Eric Michael Gillett.  

(If I want an "out" - and I do - I must say that Eric really looks different - actually even better - than he did back in 2001, but the fact is he did introduce himself as Eric to begin with, so I think it qualifies as a senior, or at least middle-aged, moment on my part.)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2006, 09:24:16 AM »

Eric Gillette was also in the first musical I ever wrote - Start At The Top (in its third incarnation back in 1972, I believe.  It may have been one of his first jobs.  

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2006, 09:26:12 AM »

Mornin', all.

I missed my parents so much last night, at Tami's. It turned out to be only Tami and her husband of 35 years, their son and his fiancee and her mother, and Rikki and me. Rikki's kids never made it, and none of The Mikey's - my brothers horde - ever showed.

But sitting there, those two kids (not really KIDS, they're in their thirties, fa chrissakes...) who plan to have children right away looked like my parents' immortality. They take the ember and fan it. And we remarked that within five years, there will be a child to ask the Four Questions at that table.

It was a holy night in many ways.
PennyO

Ginny

« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2006, 09:35:26 AM »

DR PennyO - What a sweet, heartfelt holiday remembrance.  Our Easter guests tomorrow will be my mother, her sister, and my husband's mother.  Those 3 are the last of the generation ahead of DH Richard and me and we're cherishing every moment with them these days.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2006, 09:40:46 AM »

I shall now be on my way to the editing room, after which I shall return.

FJL

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2006, 10:03:31 AM »

Oh my, I can't remember when I've had an unexpectedly free weekend.  I was fully expecting this to be a particularly grueling weekend, and was reluctant to even guarantee that I'd be home tomorrow in time for Easter dinner.  But in honor of Pesach, I'll just sit here like so much (gefilte) fish for a while, and enjoy the nothingness.

FJL

« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2006, 10:35:39 AM »

Or maybe some matzoh and bitter herbs
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13   Go Up