Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: A STRANGE UNDERCURRENT OF WEIRDNESS  (Read 19348 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
A STRANGE UNDERCURRENT OF WEIRDNESS
« on: April 24, 2006, 12:17:19 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes had a strange undercurrent of weirdness, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they, too, are feeling a strange undercurrent of weirdness and also anger - they're trying to have some anger moonagement.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2006, 12:14:24 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:A STRANGE UNDERCURRENT OF WEIRDNESS
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 12:18:09 AM »

And the word of the day is: LENTICULAR!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 12:35:55 AM »

The Cylons in the original "Battlestar Galactica" series had lenticular eyes.  When the series was first released on DVD, it was put in "Collectible 'Cylon Head' Packaging Featuring a Lenticular Red Eye."  The library where I work bought copies of this and since we can't circulate that kind of specialty packaging, we don't (now you can buy the set without the "Cylon Head").  Anyway, I kept one of the heads for myself and actually bought the DVD series from England (also, without the "Cylon Head" packaging) because it was a lot cheaper than any new U.S. copy that I could find...and I have a region-code-free DVD player, so I could actually play it.  And the British set fit perfectly in the "Cylon Head." :)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2006, 12:37:31 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 01:07:46 AM »

TOTD:
Four Tops: "Bernadette", "Seven Rooms Of Gloom"

Mary Wells" - "My Guy"

Michael Jackson  - "Ben"

Marvin Gay & Kim Weston  - "It Takes Two"

Supremes & Temptations - "Rhythm Of Life"

Supremes:  "The Happening", "You Keep Me Hainging On".

Supremes (post Diana): "Nathan Jones"

Stevie Wonder  - "I Just Called To Say I Love You"

Miracles - "Shop Around"
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 04:30:23 AM »

Monday!

Lenticular...isn't that that thing you have to keep cleaning out in your dryer?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006, 04:31:23 AM »

Well...The Supremes, I think.  Although my favorite Motown song ever is:

It Takes Two - Marvin Gaye & Kim Weston

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2006, 04:36:40 AM »

Good writing vibes for MR BK - hope the weirdness has passed.

Saw THE 49th PARALLEL on TCM last week and thought it was wonderful....very interesting story.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2006, 05:31:22 AM »

Good morning, all!  My father is fine.  I spoke to him last night, and he appears determined to do the opposite of anything my brothers and I want.  I'm am mainly worried in that I think he's being far too active for a man who had major surgery only a week ago, but I refuse to babysit from a distance of 500 miles.  I'll kick his ass in two weeks.  He did mention an appointment with his doctor on April 28, so we'll see how that goes.

I'm off to Toyland this morning after a very long and profitable day there yesterday.  I'm trying to find a nice way in my acknowledgements for the edition to say something neither snide nor double entendre about an egocentric pompous ass who is an insult to research and scholarship.  It ain't easy.

TOD:  
My favorite Motown is the OBC recording of PIPPIN
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2006, 05:44:09 AM »

TOD:

I grew up with two older sisters and they were Supremes fans in the supreme.  They had every 45 (and later, LPs).  I also grew to love their sound.  Favorites?  At the top of me head I'm hearing:

I Hear A Symphony
Where Did Our Love Go?
Stop In The Name Of Love
Love Child
You Keep Me Hanging On

Plus a little know B-side song "I'm Going Down For The Third Time"  which I found to be incredibly catchy and sang to myself incessantly.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2006, 05:45:04 AM »

TOD:  
My favorite Motown is the OBC recording of PIPPIN

Along with PIPPIN, I'm also a fan of Motown's GUYS AND DOLLS.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

FJL

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2006, 06:46:40 AM »

I guess reviews can sort of trickle in for CD's, as the reviewers get around to them, since this nice review for the LAST STARFIGHTER CD just seems to have appeared on the Washington D.C. Potomac Stages site.  Nice review for Skip and me, but the last paragraph is ESPECIALLY nice for BK, so I hope it's OK that I'm reprinting it here in its entirety:

The Last Starfighter - A New Musical
Original cast recording
Music and lyrics by Skip Kennon
Book by Fred Landau
Based on the screenplay by Jonathan Betuel   

Issued 2005
Running time 58 minutes - 16 tracks
Packaged with notes, synopsis and nine photos
Lyrics include some brief strong language
Kritzerland KR 20010-4
List Price $17.98   Click here to buy the CD

The 1984 movie in which a suave Robert Preston came down from the heavens to entice a computer-game wizard to travel to the stars to save the good guys in an intergalactic war has remained a favorite of sci-fi buffs even as higher-tech special effects extravaganzas have come and gone. Its combination of youthful enthusiasm, irreverence and a certain adolescent charm that even extended to the far-from-adolescent Preston, made it memorable. Fred Landau adapted the movie for a small Off-Off-Broadway type presentation and Skip Kennon who had created the score for the similarly sci-fi musical Time and Again signed on to do both music and lyrics. The result, as captured in this fine recording, is a chipper, charming and tuneful package.

Storyline: A musical version of the movie about a race of aliens who search for a master strategist by distributing a computer space combat game and then tracking down whoever achieved the highest score. Young Alex who lives with his mom in a trailer park breaks all records on the game and is recruited to save the Star League from the evil Zur and the Ko-Dan Armada.

The Storm Theater, an Off-Off-Broadway company, on the third floor of a church parish a block from Times Square, produced the show in October 2004. This recording, based on that production, boasts the original cast backed by a highly synthesized sounding support which, given the computer-game component of the story, seems just right for the piece. The booklet includes an interesting mini-essay by Landau (at least it appears to be by Landau - it doesn't actually have a byline) and a fine synopsis that allows you to understand the function of each song in the show. There are enough photos to give you a good feeling of what the show looked like in the small space on 46th Street.

The score ranges through a number of varying styles as the different scenes and characters require, but there is a unifying feel to the piece. Kennon's musical vocabulary is wide ranging and solidly grounded in contemporary musical theater. There are parts that sound a bit like early Flaherty and Ahrens, at others there seem to be touches of Alan Menken, Stephen Schwartz or Jeffrey Stock. But they never seem like imitations. On one track, William Parry sounds a bit like the he's singing the introduction to Stephen Sondheim's Assassins when he tackles the song "Things Change," but that shouldn't be surprising since he originated the role of the proprietor in the original production of that show.

While we are at it, here's a big "welcome back" to the album's executive producer, Bruce Kimmel, who has provided so many theater music fans so many great hours of enjoyment. He founded Bay Cities Records which issued a number of theatrical pieces. Then he ran the segment of Verese Sarabande Records dealing with show music. His latest venture was the label dedicated to musical theater, Fynsworth Alley. Through it all, he produced over a hundred show music albums including the invaluable series of Lost In Boston discs of show tunes cut from hit shows before they reached Broadway and Unsung Musicals of songs from shows that didn't make it to the Great White Way. He introduced many fans to some of the best singers of show tunes (including, he might point out with pride, Guy Haines). This release on his new label is good news, not just because its contents is so fresh and welcome but because it is an addition to his latest venture. May he add many, many more.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2006, 06:49:27 AM »

Well...The Supremes, I think.  Although my favorite Motown song ever is:

It Takes Two - Marvin Gaye & Kim Weston

I was thinking the other week that it would be fun to have the Baker and his Wife break out in this song in a Motown version of INTO THE WOODS.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ginny

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2006, 07:31:09 AM »

Monday morning greetings!  Today's title - A Strange Undercurrent of Weirdness - is a perfect description of my workplace.

TOD - Oddly enough, growing up in Motown I was not particularly aware of the music.  In the very early '60's, though, I went to the state fair and saw a "new girl group" that was about to make it big - The Supremes.  My favorite use of Motown music is the soundtrack to one of my favorite movies, The Big Chill.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2006, 07:33:16 AM »

Good morning!

We're going to have a hot one here today with a high of 83. It's beautiful out right now, barely cool but already warming up, and beautiful blue sky with a few cumulus clouds around. Perfect April morning.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2006, 07:38:26 AM »

The first boy friend I ever had was my freshman year in college, and our song was Mary Wells' "My Guy" so it will always have a special place in my heart.

Over the years, I've also gotten very fond of "You Can't Hurry Love" by the Supremes," "ABC" by the Jackson Five, "Heat Wave" by Martha and the Vandellas, "My Girl" by the Temptations, "Baby, I Need Your Lovin'" and "I Can't Help Myself" by the FOur Tops.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2006, 07:40:35 AM »

FJL  and Bruce!!! Congrats on such a nice review!!! Unfortunately, I missed the show off-Broadway. I will enjoy hearing it on CD.
PennyO

Matt H.

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2006, 07:41:05 AM »

For those who don't know, COLD CASE is a police procedural where the cold case squad solves crimes that were abandoned by the original investigators many years ago. The producers of the show always use period music to establish setting and atmosphere.

Last night's show featured a murder of a child that happened in 1965, and several Motown songs were featured on the soundtrack last night including "My Girl."

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2006, 07:41:29 AM »

"Got to Be There" by Michael Jackson.

Matt H.

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2006, 07:41:32 AM »

Best wishes for DR TCB on his doctor visit today.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2006, 07:44:19 AM »

"Smiling Faces Sometimes" by the Undisputed Truth

Matt H.

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2006, 07:45:09 AM »

Tonight comes the last two hours of ELIZABETH I with the final hour conflicting with '24.' Since I have already invested about 18 hours into '24's involved and riveting plot, I'll have to record ELIZABETH I and watch it tomorrow.

And that works out OK since I'm going to have houseguests in mid-May who don't get HBO and who have already asked me to record the four hour broadcast so they can watch it while here.

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2006, 07:47:22 AM »

It's a lovely day here, in LA, so far... rain was predicted, but there are rays of sunshine pouring down into the garden plaza outside my French doors, like melted butter over the French toast that's not out there. Oy. Not enough caffeine, apparently... back soon.
PennyO

Matt H.

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2006, 07:48:53 AM »

That is quite a wonderful review, DR FJL. THanks for reprinting it for us to share.

Matt H.

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2006, 08:16:31 AM »

Have to go clean up now for lunch out with best friend John.

WBBL.

FJL

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2006, 08:19:29 AM »

Penny and Matt - Thanks.  It's been especially nice to be a small part of Bruce's sort-of "re-emergence" as a name in theater recordings.  With some people in the business, I can be talking about the recording, and the person will be nodding and listening; but then when we mention it's on Bruce Kimmel's new label, you can see the enthusiasm in their eyes as if to say if Bruce Kimmel thought it was worth his time and energy, maybe it's worth theirs as well.  

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2006, 08:45:55 AM »

So, Fred, what are you working on now??
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2006, 08:46:16 AM »

Writing anything fun?
PennyO

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2006, 09:07:43 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  Slept pretty well, and it looks like a lovely day with nice blue skies.

Matt H.

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2006, 09:17:24 AM »

I slept until after 9 a.m. this morning. I can't remember the last time THAT happened.

Ginny

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2006, 09:20:20 AM »

Surgeon visit vibes for DR TCB!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up