Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THEME FROM DRAGNET  (Read 24753 times)

Emily

Re:THEME FROM DRAGNET
« Reply #90 on: February 08, 2004, 04:54:50 PM »

Oh and three cheers for DR Andrea who is McGill's new Vice President of Finance for the Arts Undergraduate Society.

She has officially pulled a Hillary (CYGOPP is the AUS' outgoing president)

From now on she will only answer to the salutation "Madam Vice-President" :p
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Jed

« Reply #91 on: February 08, 2004, 04:55:06 PM »

3:00, 67 posts.  If we end up achieving a new low (it's fine if we do) this will be the last Sunday for HHW.  Hate to do it, but I just don't see the point if most people don't show up.

Then it seems that it's really not "fine if we do" at all.  Of course, it's your site, Bruce, and you should do as you see fit, but I find all the fretting about number of posts to be silly.  We have big days, we have slow days.  And I really believe that most of us around here really don't mind a slow day here and there, particularly over the option of a non-day for the site.

Just my $0.02, take it as you will.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Tomovoz

« Reply #92 on: February 08, 2004, 04:59:28 PM »

I suspect a few readers post from work (tedium releif) and may not find it as easy to access the site at Weekends.
I am about to leave for a return trip to "The Return Of The King". Given the length of the movie and the travel time, I guess I shall not be posting for another six hours.  Enjoy what remains of your Sunday everyone.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #93 on: February 08, 2004, 05:17:42 PM »

What I meant by "it's fine if we do" is hit a new low today.  I'm beyond caring.  I'm just in a pissy mood, and I really don't understand why Sundays (and lately Mondays) are so slow when they never ever were before.  Saturday was always our slowest day in days gone by.  But, I've sort of made up my mind, so we'll see what happens.

Jed

« Reply #94 on: February 08, 2004, 05:22:49 PM »

I understood that you meant "it's fine if we do hit a new low today," and was just saying that that doesn't really seem to be the case, if that will seal the fate of HHW Sundays.  As for the rest... peaks, valleys, plateaus... the rest of us (I apologize in advance for speaking for those who don't agree) don't care about busy or slow.  We're here for the wonderful people we've discovered here, not to set records.

Sorry if I'm coming across at all confrontational here, BK, that is certainly not my aim.  Just voicing things from my perspective.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #95 on: February 08, 2004, 05:26:26 PM »

Not talking about setting records - we set records when we set records.  You can be as confrontational as you like - I know why people come here, and that's why this site was created.  Early on, before we were doing weekends here, Mr. Mark Bakalor suggested I do them and even back then I said I didn't want to do them if it was going to be a ghost town.  But, we'll see how I feel when I'm out of my current mood.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #96 on: February 08, 2004, 05:32:40 PM »

Good evening!

Greetings - again - from Memphis, TN, USA!

Well, the second day of auditions went well.  A lot of good talent today, but again, no one really spectacular.  Oh wait, there was one young woman who made my day!  She sang "Flaming Agnes" from I Do! I Do!  She performed the song.  She acted the song.  She sold the song.  She belted the song.  She knew what she was doing with the song.  And when a singer really knows what they are doing with a song, it makes my job much easier and enjoyable.  I don't have to sit at the piano trying to guess - and second guess - where he/she is going next.  *And I made of point of finding her after the auditions were done to compliment and thank her.  And I did.  :)

DR Jennifer - I do not get to provide feedback as a rule since "I'm only the pianist".  However, sometimes singers/actors will come up to me afterwards and ask me for some constructive criticism.  There are also times where I'll leave a little note or Post-It note on their music: a wrong note, a missing key signature, a better way to indicate their cuts, "please recopy your music so that all the piano notes (my notes) are on the page", "you should not have torn your music out of the book" (which happens a lot!?!?!), or "next time, to make it easier, please put the music in a binder".  -Stuff like that - the practical stuff that seems to get overlooked more often than not.

DR Noel - "a brown song"  - Are you talking about a "Jason Robert Brown" song?  I don't mind them - too much - but, ladies, if you can't and/or don't know how to belt and/or mix, then please find another song!  *The tricky one for me is "The Red Hills of Georgia" - is that the right title - most singers give the tempo in "2", when, in actuality, the song is in "3" - the joys of hemiola!.  And when it goes into the 4/4 section, the "string figure" in thirds - and in fast sixteenths - is just not practical on most audition room pianos.  -I also find that singer will look over at me trying to find the beat, but there's not really much I can do since there's not much on the page unless I change the accents.  *And if you listen to the recording, it's very hard to hear the pulse - definitely one of those "watch the conductor" moments.

-Sorry if the above makes no sense to anyone... I'm babbling.. So.. I shall stop now... and continue babbling in another post...

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #97 on: February 08, 2004, 05:39:39 PM »

Well...

The auditions finished early-ish, around 4:30... And that was the end of my day!  No callbacks for me to play tonight!  -And, best of all, I still get paid for the time I was booked for for tonight and tomorrow!  ;D

I decided to stretch my legs and get a little exercise - I had both the pecan pie and the bourbon bread pudding at lunch today. ;-)  It was a nice walk - about two miles.  And I was able to pick up a copy of today's New York Times too along the way.

For dinner, I stopped at Quizno's to try my first Quizno's sub.  I got the Spicy Monterery Chicken.  Not bad.  And the "regular" size is definitely a very generous serving.  I probably should have gotten just a small one - but I did enjoy "the regular".

And now I'm just sitting here in my hotel room, posting on HHW and watching the Grammys...
Make Your Own Luck.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #98 on: February 08, 2004, 05:39:58 PM »

if it would be easier for BK to not write a column on Sundays, but still leave the post forum open for business, that'd be fine.  But I see no reason to close the site for a day just because it's a slow day.  It seems like more of a bother to shut down and start up than to just leave it up, right?  I don't see a slow day as anything to get upset about.  They happen, as do the really busy days.  Neither are bad, they just are.  We don't want to cause extra work for bk, of course, but closing the site because of low post days seems a bit silly to me.  

William E. Lurie

« Reply #99 on: February 08, 2004, 05:41:41 PM »

I've never posted a picture before.  Let's see if this works before I type anymore.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #100 on: February 08, 2004, 05:44:19 PM »

And as for The Grammys so far.... Hmm... At least the Bernadette Peters' GYPSY won best Cast Recording.... Hmm...

-And maybe it's because of the longer-than-usual broadcast delay, but the show sounds almost too clean - at least coming from the speakers in my TV in my hotel room.  It's making everyone sound like they are lip-syncing in a way.  Yes, it's live, but it just sounds way to processed.  And with the venue, all the "sound" is being mixes and processed before it hits the airwaves - just no sense of ambiance.

OK - that's definitely rambling.. again... back later...
Make Your Own Luck.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #101 on: February 08, 2004, 05:44:29 PM »

This time I got a message that my file is too big.  It's a simple jpeg.  Shouldn't one picture fit?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #102 on: February 08, 2004, 05:51:10 PM »

It has nothing to do with writing the notes.  If I don't feel like writing the notes I won't write the notes (although the notes were the reason the site was created and will hopefully remain the starting point always).   It has to do with not enjoying watching us fall into the toilet on every single Sunday (and lately Monday).  It must just be my personality - we react how we react.  I mean, I suppose I can just step back and not give a Flying Wallenda whether we do well or not.  I mean, I suppose I can just let what will be be, but it isn't in my nature to do so and no matter how hard we might try we cannot change our natures.  Oh, well, we shall see what we shall see.  Is it silly?  I don't know, I tend not to belittle others with words like silly.  It may well be silly in the scheme of things, but silly is in the eye of the beholder.  However, no need to make a mountain out of a molehill.  I must continue going blind from corrections and then I must go record a track or two.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #103 on: February 08, 2004, 05:53:32 PM »

Email it to me DRWEL and let me see....was it for your profile or in the message box?  ;D

DRMBARNUM what EST does THE LAST WAGON air?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #104 on: February 08, 2004, 05:54:29 PM »

DR JED do you have the CD I was talking about?

MBarnum

« Reply #105 on: February 08, 2004, 05:55:35 PM »

I did learn an important lesson this afternoon.  If you walk around the market holding a kleenix over your face, people will stare at you.  :-[

LOL! I don't know why, DR Jane, but that just gave me my biggest laugh for the day! LOL!

I am glad that you are starting to feel better. HHW good vibes really are the best medicine, you know!  ;D

And thank you for keeping a look out for The Last Wagon!

MBarnum

« Reply #106 on: February 08, 2004, 05:57:36 PM »

Bruce, you must become cheery! We don't like for you to be grumpy! I just like everyone should be happy! Maybe you have been working too hard on your galleys!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #107 on: February 08, 2004, 05:59:26 PM »

OUCH!!!!!  -I guess Alicia Keys just learned the song... She's definitely not lip-synching... OUCH!  -If this was American Idol, she would not have made it past the first round?!?!?  -Pitch?!?!?!?  Wow... she's still singing... OUCH!!
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #108 on: February 08, 2004, 06:01:11 PM »

Oh, no doubt the galley is the cause of said grumpiness.  And it does appear that we'll eke by this evening, so all will probably be well.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #109 on: February 08, 2004, 06:02:24 PM »

OOPSS!!!  It's definitely LIVE TV!!!  Bad microphone - the control booth chatter live on TV... And now feedback... And Celine Dion still indicating that she can't hear the piano.... Ooopss!!
Make Your Own Luck.

Danise

« Reply #110 on: February 08, 2004, 06:03:00 PM »

Hear, Hear!  I say I will break my diet--Pancakes all around.  Buttermilk pancakes with rich maple syrup--what do you say??  Who's with me?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2004, 06:03:56 PM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #111 on: February 08, 2004, 06:04:46 PM »

And butter.  I can't  believe I'd FORGET the butter!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #112 on: February 08, 2004, 06:06:48 PM »

Oooh... Are the Grammys on tape-delay to the West Coast?  If so, I wonder if they'll edit out the technical snafu they just had... Hmm..
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #113 on: February 08, 2004, 06:09:57 PM »

Or DR Danise - I always like to put the maple syrup and the butter in a small saucepan and warm them up on the stove!  YUM!!  -Can I ask for a sprinkling of cinnamon too?

Oooh... There's an IHOP right by the hotel here.. Damn you, Danise! ;)  Maybe tomorrow morning.

Hmm... Now I wany my favorite type of pancakes: Sourdough Blueberry!  Wonderful!!
Make Your Own Luck.

Danise

« Reply #114 on: February 08, 2004, 06:15:15 PM »

Your welcome--I think.   ;)

You know the sad thing about half of these award shows?  I don't don't know who half these people are.  That blonde woman who just introduced Sting--I have no clue.  I could fall over them and I wouldn't know them.

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #115 on: February 08, 2004, 06:20:14 PM »

And all the stars that never were
Are parking cars
And pumping gas......

Jed

« Reply #116 on: February 08, 2004, 06:21:33 PM »

DR JED do you have the CD I was talking about?

I must have missed something.  What CD was this, JRand?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #117 on: February 08, 2004, 06:21:52 PM »

That was Madonna looking quite prim and proper - for her at least.  I guess motherhood and authorship is agreeing with her. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Danise

« Reply #118 on: February 08, 2004, 06:24:36 PM »

Just goes to show my point.  I am so bad with names and faces.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

William E. Lurie

« Reply #119 on: February 08, 2004, 06:27:50 PM »

I'm trying this once more and if it doesn't work I'll e-mail it to you Jrand.  Actually for some unknown reason the picture I was trying to send took up about 4 times as much space as the usual picture so I've picked an alternate.  Since we were talking about pets here's my dog Phoebe (hopefully):

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up