Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: THE WILDE OSCAR PARTY  (Read 28907 times)

Cillaliz

Re:THE WILDE OSCAR PARTY
« Reply #120 on: February 26, 2007, 10:37:06 AM »

So, Der Brucer, it appears I may be wrong about One L.  Looking at the descriptions, Perini = Kingsfield. Study group = study group. And main character is a the same guy with a different name.  I guess there is only so much one can say about law school...   I stand corrected.

Cillaliz

« Reply #121 on: February 26, 2007, 10:39:03 AM »

Now I must find some lunch. I stayed home today, I had a horrible headache.  But my chiropractor did a great job this morning and I'm feeling much better.  I'm supposed to take it easy. I brought enough work home for the weekend that I can actually get a lot done here. Cool beans

Cillaliz

« Reply #122 on: February 26, 2007, 10:42:16 AM »

DR Edi - you'll be in New York Mar 29-30, is that right?   I'm probably going to be in Atlanta for a seminar. Of course this means I won't go to Cincinnati (sorry DR Ginny) but the Atlanta seminar is for immigration and I really need it.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #123 on: February 26, 2007, 10:49:18 AM »

Note to Cilla:

You sure have your future work cut out for you. The news coverage on the Florida teenager kidnapping is making a big to-do over the fact that the culprit is an "illegal immigrant" - like somehow his residency status plays a part in the kidnapping.

What part are you playing in the Anna Nicole Smith Epic? I assume every lawyer is involved somehow!

der Brucer

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #124 on: February 26, 2007, 10:49:28 AM »

I'm a little tired - about to finish the current chapter and move on to the next.

FJL

« Reply #125 on: February 26, 2007, 10:52:32 AM »

Cilla - Do I remember correctly that in ONE L, Scott Turow actually referred to Archibald Cox by name rather than using a fictitious person?

I think (but have never confirmed) that my Contracts teacher was the tecaher who was the inspiration for Prof. Perrini in Turow's book - that was Charles Fried, who later went on to be the U.S. Solicitor General.  He was a tough teacher, but at least he did respect when people would prefer to backbench (sit in the back leaving their seat empty rather than risk being called on).  I felkt lucky to eke out a B in his course!

DERBRUCER

« Reply #126 on: February 26, 2007, 10:53:26 AM »

So, Der Brucer, it appears I may be wrong about One L.  Looking at the descriptions, Perini = Kingsfield. Study group = study group. And main character is a the same guy with a different name.  I guess there is only so much one can say about law school...   I stand corrected.

Believe it or not, I wasn't trying to find fault. If I hadn't checked when the issue came up, I would have accepted "Scott Turrow" as a right answer. It would be more fun if you were right and IMDB was wrong and there was some legal reaon Scott wasn't claiming authorship at this time.

der Brucer

PS The presumption that I am attempting to fault-find is generally valid.

Ginny

« Reply #127 on: February 26, 2007, 10:54:00 AM »

...Of course this means I won't go to Cincinnati (sorry DR Ginny) but the Atlanta seminar is for immigration and I really need it.

DR Cillaliz - I understand completely.  Maybe you'll meet the immigration attorney I know from northern Ohio.  
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jennifer

« Reply #128 on: February 26, 2007, 10:55:45 AM »

Re: my name on the oscars site.  I already had a name from being registered at abc.com.  It is my first initial, my middle initial and my last night.  But i was having trouble with the site and it would not go through. So i added the 123 (cause i thought maybe someone else had registered with the same name).

I didn't go to check the site yet today since it took so long to load the other times i tried.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #129 on: February 26, 2007, 10:58:30 AM »

Good Afternoon!

-Laundry folded (the laundry i washed last Thursday... Better late then never).
-Dishes washed.
-Kitchen cleaned. -Although someone threw out something really stinky in the garbage last night, so I'm going to have take the nearly empty bag out to the curb in a bit.
-And I even took care of some e-mail and phone calls.

And now... I believe I'm gonna get myself cleaned up and head out for a bit.  -Even though most of the snow has already been washed away by the rain.. :-\
Make Your Own Luck.

Ben

« Reply #130 on: February 26, 2007, 10:59:18 AM »

DR Jennifer, here are the final results

1 jlkalman123 14
2 GeorgeD 13
2 dantheman 13
2 edisaurus 13
5 cillaliz 12
5 TCB 12
7 DM 11
8 MBarnum 9
8 JoseSPiano 9
10 DR Sandra 5

I am amazed that I got as many right as I did (I was DM, for DangerMouse). Except for a few, all my choices were guesses.

When I pick up my reading from yesterday I will begin at Page 60, so I'm almost caught up.

Oh, yes, since one of my Christmas presents was all the DangerMouse episodes I didn't have, we watched DM last night (not all of them but many of them).

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #131 on: February 26, 2007, 10:59:20 AM »

DR Jennifer - Be sure to PM me your address so that I can send you your Sparkling Prize!
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #132 on: February 26, 2007, 11:01:10 AM »

Re: the fashion last night. I didn't get to see all the dresses. But here are some comments on the ones i remember.

Sally kirkland (or whatever her name is). That is the most horrendous dress i have seen.  She is a big woman. And the dress looked to be completely see-through (black). And then there were pasties on her breasts.

I liked penelope cruz's dress but not the color. The color on tv looked too washed out.

I did like nicole kidman's dress. Not wonderful. But certainly lovely.

And why did you guys hate naomi watts' dress. I thought she looked lovely as well.  What do you expect in maternity wear?

I did like j. lo's dress. But i thought it was too loose fitting for someone with her physique. It looked like a maternity dress to me.

I thought cate blanchett looked really lovely.

I did not like jennifer hudson's dress or her wrap. Although the dress looked better without it.

I thought helen mirren looked really lovely.

And i also thought gweneth paltrow looked very beautiful.

I am curious what people thought about jessica biel (long hot pink dress with that black belt). I thought she looked elegant. It wouldn't have been my choice. But i thought she still looked nice.

I would have liked to see beyonce's dress. It looked nice from the little that i saw.

I did not get a great look at kate winslet but i didn't like the color of her dress (looked mint to me).

I did not like cameron diaz's dress or her hair. She looked much better as a blonde.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #133 on: February 26, 2007, 11:01:18 AM »

And if DC(ontestants) GeorgeD and dantheman PM me their addresses, I'm pretty sure I could come up with a second place prize for you lucky 13-ers.

*DR edisaurus - I'll just bring your prize with me next week when I head to Atlanta.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #134 on: February 26, 2007, 11:01:56 AM »

OK... I should get going while the going is good...  Whatever that means...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #135 on: February 26, 2007, 11:03:06 AM »

One of my favorite things post oscars is actually watching the entertainment shows to see the fashion segments.

I wish i got the ryan seacrest and joan rivers pre-shows since i love the fashion!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #136 on: February 26, 2007, 11:05:27 AM »

I've still got a lot of pages to read from last night. But i'm just up to the part where DR Jose was asking who jlkalman123 was.

It is me!

Did someone post the final results? I"m not there yet.

But i know i got a lot wrong. I got supporting actor wrong. Best picture wrong. And a lot of others.

I assumed that it was JMK, also!  Sorry.  Congrats to you, Jennifer, for picking more correct winners than me, Dan-the-Man and Edisaurus (in our three-way-tie). ;)

« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 11:05:59 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #137 on: February 26, 2007, 11:10:14 AM »

I assumed that it was JMK, also!  Sorry.  Congrats to you, Jennifer, for picking more correct winners than me, Dan-the-Man and Edisaurus (in our three-way-tie). ;)

I say well done to anyone who could even guess a correct winner.

Mirren, Whittaker and Hudson, in retrospect, seemed look "sure things" (but there's always the possibility of an upset).

I'd never have guessed any of the music or technical categories.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

FJL

« Reply #138 on: February 26, 2007, 11:10:50 AM »

Hmmm....actually, a google search suggests that conventional wisdom has it that Perini in ONE L was a teacher named Arthur Miller (no relation to the playwright), who had a show called MILLER'S COURT that started off locally in Boston and environs.  Miller seemed to be a nice fellow, always the first to be willing to take part in cameos in the Law School Drama Society's shows.  

DERBRUCER

« Reply #139 on: February 26, 2007, 11:11:13 AM »

I did not like cameron diaz's dress or her hair. She looked much better as a blonde.

Her Emerald ear-rings took all the attention!

der Brucer

Cillaliz

« Reply #140 on: February 26, 2007, 11:12:32 AM »

Note to Cilla:

You sure have your future work cut out for you. The news coverage on the Florida teenager kidnapping is making a big to-do over the fact that the culprit is an "illegal immigrant" - like somehow his residency status plays a part in the kidnapping.

What part are you playing in the Anna Nicole Smith Epic? I assume every lawyer is involved somehow!

der Brucer

I had a trial with a client who is a "Citizen of Mexico" (I would never refer to him as an illegal during a jury trial) on a day where there was a big pro-immigration rally that ended at the steps of the federal building.  Luckily you couldn't hear any of it from inside the building and by the time we broke for lunch it was over, but we did some extensive questioning of the jury about the issue.

The actual immigration practice involves more of helping people be here legally.  It's a whole differnt bag of apples.  (I don't know where I came up with that). Anyway, I have a lot to learn and am trying to get in a few seminars before I start.

As far as Anna Nicole - I deny all rumors that I am the father

Cillaliz

« Reply #141 on: February 26, 2007, 11:14:08 AM »

Hmmm....actually, a google search suggests that conventional wisdom has it that Perini in ONE L was a teacher named Arthur Miller (no relation to the playwright), who had a show called MILLER'S COURT that started off locally in Boston and environs.  Miller seemed to be a nice fellow, always the first to be willing to take part in cameos in the Law School Drama Society's shows.  

Oy! This is what I get from trying to talk about a book I read over 20 years ago.  I give up.  At least I thought they were the same...

Cillaliz

« Reply #142 on: February 26, 2007, 11:16:45 AM »

Believe it or not, I wasn't trying to find fault. If I hadn't checked when the issue came up, I would have accepted "Scott Turrow" as a right answer. It would be more fun if you were right and IMDB was wrong and there was some legal reaon Scott wasn't claiming authorship at this time.

der Brucer

PS The presumption that I am attempting to fault-find is generally valid.

LOL! I wasn't particuarly worried that you were trying to find fault. I just find it easier to admit when I'm wrong and move on.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #143 on: February 26, 2007, 11:17:43 AM »

It's a whole differnt bag of apples.  (I don't know where I came up with that).  

What else could you come up with now that oranges cost a fortune?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #144 on: February 26, 2007, 11:19:27 AM »

Who here watched the Barbara Walters special?

It aired AFTER the Oscars on the West Coast.

Barbara showed nearly the entire "And I Am Telling You..." clip....a "score" for her since it's the first time any of it has been allowed on TV.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #145 on: February 26, 2007, 11:21:25 AM »

On the local news last night, one of the stations was going down the list of Bay Area nominees and how each fared at the Oscars.

One of the nominees -- a sound mixer -- has been nominated 19 times and has never won.

The weatherman said, "That makes him the Susan Lucci of sound mixers, doesn't it!"

« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 11:21:37 AM by Ron Pulliam »

FJL

« Reply #146 on: February 26, 2007, 11:22:00 AM »

The thing I never understood about PAPER CHASE was the constant need to impress the professors in class.  Except for the rare seminar class, the grades were based entirely on your final exam for the course (which was graded with a code number rather than your actual name on the booklet) - unlike business school, where class participation was half your grade.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #147 on: February 26, 2007, 11:25:35 AM »

What else could you come up with now that oranges cost a fortune?

We could fall back on the classic "can of worms", or might PETA object?

der Brucer

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #148 on: February 26, 2007, 11:25:43 AM »

I say well done to anyone who could even guess a correct winner.

Mirren, Whittaker and Hudson, in retrospect, seemed look "sure things" (but there's always the possibility of an upset).

I'd never have guessed any of the music or technical categories.

I would have bet the house on PAN'S LABYRINTH being a sure thing.  I wonder if anyone got that one right.

Speaking of Best Foreign Language pics, does anyone know the story behind why LA DOLCE VITA was not even nominated in that category in 1960?  Nominated for Costumes (which it won), Art Direction, Screenplay and Director, but not for Picture.  Bizarre...

Also bizarre that whoever slapped together that montage of clips saluting fifty years of Best Foreign Language film award winners included a couple of snippets on LA DOLCE VITA.  
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

FJL

« Reply #149 on: February 26, 2007, 11:27:27 AM »

Speaking of law school, I keep getting crappy seats coming up for LEGALLY BLONDE, even when I try to look at full price tickets.  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Up