Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: LIKE THE ICEMAN, 2009 COMETH  (Read 17249 times)

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
Re: LIKE THE ICEMAN, 2009 COMETH
« Reply #120 on: December 12, 2008, 03:44:50 PM »

Hello all.  I've been kinda MIA this week.  My mother-in-law has been staying with us, taking care of Toby for the week.  I can't get online much when I have guests in the house.  I have been managing to keep lurking and reading, though.  I send great vibes to the Vixter and her family.  I helped take care of my grandmother when I was nine.  Her cancer was much more serious, melanoma that she'd been battling for years.  But I remember the feeling of helplessness and seeing her turn into a shadow of the woman I knew.  It goes get better, and I know Vixter is strong enough to get through this.

Vibes for anyone else who needs them too.

And a BIG congrats to CIlla for the weight loss.  20 lbs is about what I need to lose to get back to my pre-pregnancy/wedding day weight.  I'm taking it slow during the month of December, but as soon as my gym membership kicks back in in January, I will be kicking it up and trying to get those pounds off.  They say that if you don't lose baby weight in the first 6 months after having the baby, it often doesn't come off at all, so I only have three more months left!

In other news, our HIGH temp on Monday is predicted to be 28 degrees.  That is unheard of in Western Washington!

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #121 on: December 12, 2008, 03:46:38 PM »

And...I finally caught a real smile on camera!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #122 on: December 12, 2008, 03:47:31 PM »

I spent most of the afternoon with the Blu-ray version of THE WOMEN. Diane English has taken the characters from the original and some of the basic Mary-Stephen-Crystal triangle plot, but completely tossed out the play's catty bitchfest dialog and situations. Instead, she's turned it into a pale, milquetoast women's empowerment story. I mean, that's fine if it's what you want to write about and direct, but why base it on THE WOMEN? Write your own story of a cheating husband and a wife who finds liberation when she's out on her own.

I found the comedy so tame and the drama weak. And you've got someone like Bette Midler in the role of "The Countess" and you do NOTHING with her. (She has two short scenes.) In fact, the cast is either wasted or miscast. Only Cloris Leachman and Candace Bergen deliver the goods.

DR MattH, you have my sympathy. From the tv commercials, I thought this had "must miss" all over it.

Sort of like everything Meg Ryan has done since she had her affair on the set of a movie with Russell Crowe.  Everything she's done since then has been subpar.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 03:51:42 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

MBarnum

« Reply #123 on: December 12, 2008, 03:50:59 PM »

What a cute Toby photo!

MBarnum

« Reply #124 on: December 12, 2008, 03:51:36 PM »

Perhaps tonight will be the night to watch DOSTI: FRIENDS FOREVER, DR Matth!

I just know you will love that hunky, hairy Akshay Kumar!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #125 on: December 12, 2008, 03:52:46 PM »

Perhaps tonight I will watch "Wall-E" in Blu-ray, or "How the West Was Won" in Blu-ray, or "The Dark Knight" in Blu-ray.

I've already seen "Sleeping Beauty" in Blu-ray.  It's WONDROUS and LUMINOUS in Blu-ray.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #126 on: December 12, 2008, 03:59:20 PM »

I've caught up.  I've cleared my desk.  I've sent out e-mails explaining to folks the things they must do in my absence (!!!).  I've set my Out of Office message up on e-mail.  And, I've scripted my voice mail message.

Life is good.

Ginny

« Reply #127 on: December 12, 2008, 04:01:36 PM »

Awww, cute Toby!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #128 on: December 12, 2008, 04:10:55 PM »

Ann, that's a very cute picture of Toby! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #129 on: December 12, 2008, 04:55:09 PM »

Laura is back!  And that's a good thing.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #130 on: December 12, 2008, 04:55:46 PM »

I'm back from the easiest and quickest long jog ever.  Maybe I'll start switching it up, doing half the week in the morning and the other half at three-thirty.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #131 on: December 12, 2008, 04:56:35 PM »

Variety IS the spice of life, BK!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #132 on: December 12, 2008, 04:56:51 PM »

For our West Coast denizens, LACCTAA is having a little Christmas partay next Wednesday from five to seven on the campus of LACC, in the Caminito Theater.  If anyone around these here parts wants to come just drop me a line.  And I'll soon have info on the annual BK Christmas Eve Do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #133 on: December 12, 2008, 04:57:59 PM »

Listening to Elmer Bernstein's funk score to Report To The Commissioner.  I won't say that this genre is a good fit for him, but it's enjoyable nonetheless.  For funk, Lalo Schifrin is much better at that game.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #134 on: December 12, 2008, 04:59:27 PM »

Uh-oh - looks like Toby's goin' be a real devil :)

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #135 on: December 12, 2008, 05:08:38 PM »

Any of you Mac people - for the last couple days I've been hearing the fan constantly - not on high, but on low, something I've never heard before or at least been aware of hearing.  The computer also seems to be running hot - I put my hand under it and the battery is pretty damn hot, and I don't think that's usual.  When I called Apple they said they couldn't really do anything about that over the phone, that I'd have to bring it in to an Apple store.  Has anyone else had this prob?

DERBRUCER

« Reply #136 on: December 12, 2008, 05:18:12 PM »

It seems DR Pulliam has snuck a book into our Jessica's Biscuit delivery.

An entire tome on the fare from a South Carolina restaurant called The Old Post Office on Edisto Island:

"Oyster Skillet, Shrimp and Grits, Cracklin' Roast Duck, Sweet Corn Dumplings and Aunt Mae's Lemon Pie

der Brucer

The pie has a cornflake crust - and there is a recipe for Coca Cola Cake

I don't think I've ever had "creamy grits".

DERBRUCER

« Reply #137 on: December 12, 2008, 05:26:42 PM »

And it seems Josè also had a hand in the book delivery:

The Complete Book of Pork opened right up to "Filipino Pork Adobo".

The recipe innocently calls for "Asian Fish Sauce" - which those of us with Nam experience know as nuoc mam - dead fish rendered in salt in a hole in the ground until properly "ripe".

der Brucer

Cillaliz

« Reply #138 on: December 12, 2008, 05:32:16 PM »

Hey everyone, Vixter here.
I have found out how serious cancer really is yesterday, as mom has been hurling on and off, and it's really rather frightening ( if you read this mom, I'm sorry, it really is) and I 'm getting more then a little freaked out that all she seems to do when I'm in the same room as her is say how I'm too young to have to go through this. I'm sorry, but, I'm not the one with cancer!!!! I'm scared, because it just doesn't seem like it's her, you know? She seems like a totally different person, and this is only the first week of chemo. I'm really worried, and I know you're all supporting her, so it makes a little better, but I don't know what to do, because nothing going to stop the pain that she's in right now. And that's why I'm very sad today.

On the lighter sid eof the news, I just found out this might be the only cool site that hasn't been blocked in my school...oh great, now they're gonna block it. Love you all,
                                                                                             The Vixter

Hugs to you Vixter.  You and  your family are in my thoughts and prayers. 

Cillaliz

« Reply #139 on: December 12, 2008, 05:35:28 PM »

Society is so different today than what it was in 1966, too!  ;)

Where did 1966 come from? I don't get the reference to that year in particular.

It was nothing more than a personal frame of reference to a more recent time...teens were still being subjected to societal perceptions of the Eisenhower years during which many here were brought up.  Even though the Beatles had recently made major impacts on music and "hair", society was perceived to be a certain way in 1966 (at least by me) and it underwent dramatic changes in the following years.

And it has changed (much for the worse, IMO) since then, too.

I was born in 1966. ;D

And there it is!   Let's blame George!

I know I'm not the youngest person (nor the oldest) on this board, but a couple of weeks ago, I found out that I'm the oldest person in the cast of Reefer Madness...by several years!  I've never before been the oldest person for anything that I've ever done! :-\

Get used to it :)   I used to always be the youngest, now I rarely am.

Cillaliz

« Reply #140 on: December 12, 2008, 05:37:18 PM »

Just did a calorie check for an In n Out cheeseburger - not too bad - about 480, but the fat grams are high at 27.  But, that's what I'll be having for lunch.  No fries, though - those are 400, which isn't a problem, but also VERY high in fat grams, so I'll just do the cheeseburger, then have something later, maybe a sandwich and some fruit.

Do they have a kid's meal?  Usually those are a good portion calorie wise

George

« Reply #141 on: December 12, 2008, 05:41:22 PM »

Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #142 on: December 12, 2008, 05:42:25 PM »

Society is so different today than what it was in 1966, too!  ;)

Where did 1966 come from? I don't get the reference to that year in particular.

It was nothing more than a personal frame of reference to a more recent time...teens were still being subjected to societal perceptions of the Eisenhower years during which many here were brought up.  Even though the Beatles had recently made major impacts on music and "hair", society was perceived to be a certain way in 1966 (at least by me) and it underwent dramatic changes in the following years.

And it has changed (much for the worse, IMO) since then, too.

I was born in 1966. ;D

And there it is!   Let's blame George!

I know I'm not the youngest person (nor the oldest) on this board, but a couple of weeks ago, I found out that I'm the oldest person in the cast of Reefer Madness...by several years!  I've never before been the oldest person for anything that I've ever done! :-\

Good grief!  How old is Josh?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

George

« Reply #143 on: December 12, 2008, 05:43:29 PM »

Good grief!  How old is Josh?

I think he's in his mid-to-late 20s.  I'm pretty sure that he's not yet 30.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #144 on: December 12, 2008, 05:44:00 PM »

it's done my shoulder a world of good.

This is GREAT!  I hope you don't need to return to physical therapy.  You are fortunate it was such a pleasant experience.

George

« Reply #145 on: December 12, 2008, 05:46:05 PM »

Well, it's time to head for the theater...and more cannibalistic murdering whoring.  Lots o' fun!! ;D

Until later!

Cillaliz

« Reply #146 on: December 12, 2008, 05:46:53 PM »

And a BIG congrats to CIlla for the weight loss.  20 lbs is about what I need to lose to get back to my pre-pregnancy/wedding day weight.  I'm taking it slow during the month of December, but as soon as my gym membership kicks back in in January, I will be kicking it up and trying to get those pounds off.  They say that if you don't lose baby weight in the first 6 months after having the baby, it often doesn't come off at all, so I only have three more months left!

Thanks DR ANN. I have a long way to go, but can really feel a huge difference akready. Never had baby weight, so can't help you there, but you can lose it. 

Cillaliz

« Reply #147 on: December 12, 2008, 05:47:53 PM »

What a cutie!

Jane

« Reply #148 on: December 12, 2008, 05:48:18 PM »

I liked Mr Van Johnson in several movies - particularly EASY TO WED with Lucille Ball and Esther Williams.

And WIVES AND LOVERS and STATE OF THE UNION.

But especially when he danced with Lucy Ricardo!  "How about you?"

My favorite Van Johnson movie is GROUNDS FOR MARRIAGE with Kathryn Grayson. THREE GUYS NAMED MIKE is also fun.

My favorite: THE CAINE MUTINY.

Mine is IN THE GOOD OLD SUMMERTIME

Jane

« Reply #149 on: December 12, 2008, 05:48:48 PM »

This just brightened my days. :)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up