Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: WHAT I MISS  (Read 18434 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re: WHAT I MISS
« Reply #120 on: April 20, 2009, 01:36:37 PM »

I had about six minutes left in the afternoon and started AS THE WORLD TURNS thinking I'd just skim through it to the previews, but there were the boys, so I had to stop it and will pick it up when I go back down later.

It gets more and more idiotic; the incestuous twins were so demented before their crime spree that "the boys" must be complete retards, and where the hell are all their other friends? Like the "huge" crowd that came to the Big Gay Rally? To what common low level of audience IQ do these writers aim? Or stoop?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 01:38:44 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #121 on: April 20, 2009, 01:38:14 PM »

DR vixmom, we love you and you have to stop all these attention-getting tactics. You will hurt yourself.

I am so happy to see you online today.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #122 on: April 20, 2009, 01:45:52 PM »

DR Vixmom, what a story, thank you for sharing.  I'm sorry you had to go through all of this.  I'm extremely impressed with the quick care you received from the doctors. 

Rest well during then next couple of weeks while you recover.  What are you permitted to eat?  Are you back on the cans?

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #123 on: April 20, 2009, 01:52:44 PM »

I see that my prediction has come true about UGLY BETTY coming back a week earlier than planned. Due to the unacceptably low ratings of IN THE MOTHERHOOD and SAMANTHA WHO?, ABC is taking them off a week earlier and BETTY will be back on a week before it was scheduled to rejoin the line-up.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #124 on: April 20, 2009, 01:54:31 PM »

I had about six minutes left in the afternoon and started AS THE WORLD TURNS thinking I'd just skim through it to the previews, but there were the boys, so I had to stop it and will pick it up when I go back down later.

It gets more and more idiotic; the incestuous twins were so demented before their crime spree that "the boys" must be complete retards, and where the hell are all their other friends? Like the "huge" crowd that came to the Big Gay Rally? To what common low level of audience IQ do these writers aim? Or stoop?

I think the plots for the boys stopped making sense the last time Col. Mayer was on, and their plots have never really recovered.

I read that THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS is adding a gay male character to its show soon. I may switch to it once he's in place.

Matt H.

« Reply #125 on: April 20, 2009, 01:54:56 PM »

Now I must hop off-line and do some writing.

WBBL.

td

• td
« Reply #126 on: April 20, 2009, 02:06:45 PM »

So enough about ME ME ME

how are youse guyz?

We want the complete Vixmom!

It's so nice to have you back where you belong!
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jane

« Reply #127 on: April 20, 2009, 02:11:31 PM »

DR Matt H, thank you for the review.  Unfortunately, for me, Keith still wants to watch The Uninvited.  It could be worse, at least it isn't a remake of the Ray Milland film.

Michael

« Reply #128 on: April 20, 2009, 02:22:34 PM »

Welcome Home VIXMOM

A fast recovery to you.

Thoughts of healing light entering the body and healing what needs to be healed.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #129 on: April 20, 2009, 02:24:15 PM »

Now I must have misunderstood the TOD

I thought it was local programing. TV show produced in ones local market and not reruns of established shows.

If that was the case then it was the usual rerun suspects the were on in the 60's & 70's would have to be on my list.

Surprisingly not all of the hold up as well today.
Never stop dreaming.

Jane

« Reply #130 on: April 20, 2009, 02:31:41 PM »

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #131 on: April 20, 2009, 03:02:34 PM »

Here are the new releases from the Warner Archive series:

QUALITY STREET (1937, d. George Stevens) - A woman can change a lot in 10 years. Or, in the case of Phoebe, change even more in a day. After her beau Dr. Gray returns home from a decade in the Napoleonic Wars, he’s disappointed that faithful Phoebe appears worn and unattractive. So Phoebe transforms her looks and poses as carefree, younger Livvy. Dr. Gray, unaware of the ruse, is smitten. And about to discover that the person he truly loves is Phoebe. Katharine Hepburn, her voice a youthful flutter and her hair a mass of ringlets, teams with her Alice Adams director George Stevens for this droll screen version of James M. Barrie’s play. Also among the denizens of Quality Street: Franchot Tone, Fay Bainter, Eric Blore and unbilled Joan Fontaine.

SPITFIRE (1934, d. John Cromwell) - Katharine Hepburn portrayed everything from queens to a Chinese peasant in her splendid career, but her most unusual role may just be Trigger Hicks in Spitfire. The elegant, cultured Hepburn plays an ornery, rock-chuckin’ mountain gal who finds God – and a knack for faith healing – in a pack of stolen Bible cards. But when she exercises her self-declared miraculous powers on a sick baby, the local folks figure Trigger is a force of supernatural evil. Two fine leading men, Robert Young and Ralph Bellamy, lend skilled support in a picture that’s Hepburn’s all the way: “After the story of Spitfire is forgotten, memories of Miss Hepburn’s performance will remain” (The Times (London)).

CHRISTOPHER STRONG (1933, d. Dorothy Arzner) - Katharine Hepburn made her stunning screen debut as John Barrymore’s daughter in 1932’s A Bill of Divorcement. In Christopher Strong, Hepburn’s second film and first star vehicle, the intelligent, liberated and unconventionally beautiful actress chose to play an intelligent, liberated and unconventionally beautiful aviatrix who soars into a torrid affair (with Colin Clive as a fellow aristocrat)…and crashes into unendurable heartbreak. The melodramatic story is as much keen-edged steel as tears, thanks to Hepburn’s gutsy performance and to the taut direction of Dorothy Arzner, classic Hollywood’s only major female director. Among the film’s highlights: Hepburn simply astonishing in silvery lamé heading to a costume ball as the world’s most glamorous moth.

BREAK OF HEARTS (1935, d. Philip Moeller) - Aspiring composer Constance Dane never imagined she would someday meet celebrated New York conductor Franz Roberti. Yet a love of music brings them together, and romantic love soon follows. So, too, do jealousies, human misunderstandings and artistic flareups that will test their devotion. Break of Hearts is a triple-hankie romance to swoon by, swelling with music by Bach, Brahms and other immortals and featuring two box-office legends at their most luminous. Charles Boyer essays the man-of-the-world role of Franz. And Katharine Hepburn, the camera framing and adoring her as only classic Hollywood can, offers a much-acclaimed performance that captures Constance’s freshness and fire.

A WOMAN REBELS (1936, d. Mark Sandrich) - As women, the first thing of importance is to be content to be inferior to men. Rubbish, young Pamela Thistlewaite (Katharine Hepburn) thinks, embarking on an independent life no proper Victorian would approve of, a life that includes love affairs, a child born out of wedlock, a career and national fame. An enthralling personal drama and a forceful plea for women’s rights, A Woman Rebels showcases a Hepburn radiant with beauty and youth, as natural with battle-of-the-sexes banter as with courage in the face of heartbreak.

THE LITTLE MINISTER (1934, d. Richard Wallace) - In 1840, young Gavin Dishart (John Beal) is welcomed to a Scottish village as the new minister. Eager to be a proper shepherd to his flock, Gavin cuts a stern, stiff-necked figure. Then he meets Babbie (Katharine Hepburn), a gypsy girl who champions the poor. Soon Gavin is hopelessly in love with the headstrong, flirtatious lass who, unknown to him, is really a grand lady betrothed to an aristocrat she does not love. Based on a novel and play by James M. Barrie (Peter Pan), this endearing film showcases Hepburn’s irresistible femininity as she conquers the heart of the little minister. “Can a man like a woman against his will?” he asks. “Of course he can,” Babbie replies. “That’s the very nicest way to be liked.”

TRAIL STREET (1947, d. Ray Enright) - Billy Burns (George “Gabby” Hayes) is prone to tall tales. He can tell you about the sprawling ranch of Brandyhead Jones. Or about grasshoppers so big and tough they pick their teeth with barbed wire. But one thing Billy can never overstate is his friendship with Bat Masterson – and how he’s sure Bat will honor his request to come to Liberal, Kansas, and stop the festering range war between wheat farmers and cattlemen.

RETURN OF THE BAD MEN (1948, d. Ray Enright) - The Oklahoma Land Rush means free land – and a cadre of outlaws amassed to prey on the newly prosperous territory. Perhaps the vilest of these lurking bad men is the shoot-first Sundance Kid (Robert Ryan). Vance knows there’s no room in the wide-open spaces for cold-blooded killers like the Kid, and he’ll shoot holes in any contrary notion. He’ll bring peace and justice to the prairie.

CARSON CITY (1952, d. Andre De Toth) - Randolph Scott is a man with a mission in this classic tale, as he endeavors to build a railroad through the lawless land between Carson City and Virginia City, Nevada. It won’t be easy. It might be deadly. Citizens are riled over this new era of steel-and-steam progress. And the man goading the populace just happens to be a furtive thief who knows stagecoach lines are easy targets. Andre Detoth ("House of Wax") directs.

THE MAD MISS MANTON (1938, d. Leigh Jason) - Dizzy heiress Melsa Manton and her manicured band of Park Avenue pranksters think Manhattan is an amusement park built just for them. So when Melsa stumbles across a murder victim, the pranksters decide to play detective. The only trouble is that the murderer is playing too – for keeps.

JOY OF LIVING (1938, d. Tay Garnett) - Broadway star Maggie Garret sings for her supper. And for everybody else’s. She’s the meal ticket for relatives who sap her of money and time, rob her of the joy of living. But Maggie’s workaday world changes when she meets a carefree millionaire who thinks Maggie is a peach. And her family is the pits.

HAVING WONDERFUL TIME (1938, Alfred Santell) - Ginger Rogers also stars alongside Douglas Fairbanks Jr. in this screen adaptation of the Broadway play about young Romeos and Juliets who escape the grit and grind of Depression-era New York City for the canoeing and canoodling of Camp Kare-Free. The stars shine brightly at the resort: Lucille Ball, Eve Arden, Grady Sutton and Jack Carson among them. And Red Skelton makes his film debut, dunking donuts and pratfalling down stairs as the camp social director.

LUXURY LINER (1948, d. Richard Whorf) - Perky Jane Powell (Seven Brides for Seven Brothers) plays the golden-voiced teen daughter of an ocean liner captain (George Brent) who stows away on dad’s ship in hopes of showcasing her singing skills to a voyaging opera star (played by real-life Wagnerian Lauritz Melchior). Many more musical talents set sail too: Xavier Cugat swings with Con Maracas, the Pied Pipers add silken harmonies and operatic soprano Marina Koshetz trills and spoofs the Cole Porter standard I’ve Got You Under My Skin. Bon voyage!

MEET THE PEOPLE (1944, d. Charles Reisner) - Julie Hampton (Lucille Ball) can tote a lunch pail and carry a tune. She’s a Broadway star who’s joined the Rosie the Riveters at Morgan Shipyards. Working with her is aspiring playwright “Swanee” Swanson, who insists Julie toil among the yard workers before she stars in the play he’s written about them.

THOUSANDS CHEER (1943, d. George Sidney) - The story concerns aerialist-turned-G.I. Gene Kelly (mopping up the dance floor with a mop for a partner) romancing colonel’s daughter Kathryn Grayson. But the real story is the most spectacular camp show in military history, featuring skits and songs with Judy Garland, Mickey Rooney, Red Skelton, Lucille Ball, Lena Horne, Eleanor Powell, José Iturbi and just about everybody else in Hollywood. Start cheering!!
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #132 on: April 20, 2009, 03:21:57 PM »

Good afternoon

Sorry to have been E & T but as I believe you've heard something unexpected came up

what gall!

;D :-* :-*
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #133 on: April 20, 2009, 03:25:40 PM »

LOST IN AUSTEN evidently has a very rabid fanbase and they are not happy about the changes made in this DVD version I reviewed a few weeks ago.  Oy.  Like somehow it's my fault.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

vixmom

« Reply #134 on: April 20, 2009, 03:27:58 PM »

DR vixmom, we love you and you have to stop all these attention-getting tactics. You will hurt yourself.

I am so happy to see you online today.

As I told my brothers  - I had to do SOMETHING, Dad was grabbing all the attentionand sympathy with his darn leg!

Update on that - we have not heard any biopsy results - but my Dad of course doesn't want to inconvenience anyone by calling to see if they have come in, he is content to wait until his appointment this Friday to get his staples out

(Although I am annoyed we do not have a definitive answer, I am somewhat relieved that we have heard nothing - I had my biopsy late on a Friday afternoon and by Tuesday I was getting the Bad News - I suspect if the news were bad we would have heard immediately) 

vixmom

« Reply #135 on: April 20, 2009, 03:35:06 PM »

DR Vixmom, what a story, thank you for sharing.  I'm sorry you had to go through all of this.  I'm extremely impressed with the quick care you received from the doctors. 

Rest well during then next couple of weeks while you recover.  What are you permitted to eat?  Are you back on the cans?

It seems that to get Fast Tracked it helps to collapse at the reception desk and have your spouse mention possible perforation of the stomach due to the feeding tube put in for recent chemo/radiation treatments.

Also, apparently my GI,  who is well known in the hospital was actually on the phone with one of the ER nurses or nurse assistants or whatever they are, as I was busy fainting in the corrider,  saying he had just sent over a patient for an immediate emergency CAT scan\

I am afraid I have been backon the cans as I was unable to eat again due the tubes hurting tehinside of my throat during the operation.  Also for some reason everything tastes terribly bitter - I have to make an effort to eat by mouth though this is getting ridiculous

vixmom

« Reply #136 on: April 20, 2009, 03:39:38 PM »

One thing that does annoy me about the hospitals today is that you cannot tell who anyone is by how they dress.  When I was 10 and had my appendix out, Doctor's wore white coats, nurses had white dresses and caps, janitors dreeses in overalls...

Now everyone wears the same scrubs - you cannot tell a nurse from a  doctor from a Physicain assistant from a receptionist, from a nurse practioner rom teh cleaning lady they all wear the same scrubs.

I am sure they are all more comfortable but I would be much happier if they had their title emblazoned on their uniform so the average person would know to whom they are speaking 

vixmom

« Reply #137 on: April 20, 2009, 03:41:23 PM »

So enough about ME ME ME

how are youse guyz?

We want the complete Vixmom!

It's so nice to have you back where you belong!

Thanks TD!  I am afraid I willnever be complete again I keep leaving bits of me around!

Appendix, Thyroid, gallbadder, brain cells.....

vixmom

« Reply #138 on: April 20, 2009, 03:42:17 PM »

Welcome Home VIXMOM

A fast recovery to you.

Thoughts of healing light entering the body and healing what needs to be healed.

Thank you Michael!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #139 on: April 20, 2009, 03:48:19 PM »

LOST IN AUSTEN evidently has a very rabid fanbase and they are not happy about the changes made in this DVD version I reviewed a few weeks ago.  Oy.  Like somehow it's my fault.

I have the Region-2 DvD; how could they redo what was already set for the Region-1?

vixmom

« Reply #140 on: April 20, 2009, 03:49:31 PM »

Much love to vixmom

:-* :-*

Thank you! 

And thank you to you and Skip for the egg recipe - I may have to wait a couple of weeks to try it out but I am so excited to do so!

Jane

« Reply #141 on: April 20, 2009, 03:51:01 PM »

I agree, it is annoying when you can't tell who/what anyone at the hospital is.  DR Vixmom you really must stop leaving bits of you all over, time to keep what belongs to you.;) 

Super vibes the bitter taste goes away soon & you can get off the cans.

vixmom

« Reply #142 on: April 20, 2009, 03:51:28 PM »

Oh and before I jump off - Elmore - Martin Chuzzlewhitt was delivered to my mailbox today!

Thank you for mentioning it Tuesday  I ordered it from Blockbuster.com right away and now I will have it to help my recuperation!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #143 on: April 20, 2009, 03:51:40 PM »

Great to see you posting again, Vixmom! 

~~~Continued Recovery Vibes!!~~~
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

vixmom

« Reply #144 on: April 20, 2009, 03:52:00 PM »

Good night all!! I will try to be here tomorrow!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #145 on: April 20, 2009, 03:53:44 PM »

So I psyched myself up and suited myself up, and got myself down to the local school track to begin... a JOGGING program.    :D

And once I got there, discovered that there is no "trespassing" allowed on school property from 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM.   Duh!  I should have known that.

I know that I can probably jog anywhere, but I figured the softer track would be good [and more forgiving] for a beginner.  So now I just have to maintain my willpower for another few hours, and try again.

DAW, do you have any colleges or community colleges near by?  I doubt they would have the same "no trespassing" rules as the public schools.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #146 on: April 20, 2009, 03:54:27 PM »

Oh and before I jump off - Elmore - Martin Chuzzlewhitt was delivered to my mailbox today!

Thank you for mentioning it Tuesday  I ordered it from Blockbuster.com right away and now I will have it to help my recuperation!

It's so good, DR vixmom, that I hope the vixter can watch it with you! After you watch it, rent GREEDY wth Michael J. Fox. It's based on Chuzzlewit.

Jane

« Reply #147 on: April 20, 2009, 03:54:59 PM »

Vixmom your courage & sense of humor humble me.  I'm trying to follow your example and be brave as I watch an alien form take over my body.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #148 on: April 20, 2009, 03:55:35 PM »

Back from listening to a lot of tapes - and now I can make decisions on a couple more releases.

Jane

« Reply #149 on: April 20, 2009, 03:57:43 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Up