Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: WHAT I MISS  (Read 18238 times)

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
Re: WHAT I MISS
« Reply #60 on: April 20, 2009, 09:38:36 AM »

elmore, I remember PANTOMIME HIT PARADE.  Yeah, it was a pretty silly affair.

http://poguespages.blogspot.com

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #61 on: April 20, 2009, 09:40:27 AM »

Well, since it looks like there's a few hours of rain-free weather right now, I think I'm going to head out for a bit. I'm not sure where I'm going to go - I really just want to go to Target ??? - but I also may finally check out Folly Island/Beach - which is where George Gershwin "immersed" himself in the Gullah culture while he was writing "Porgy & Bess".

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #62 on: April 20, 2009, 09:41:47 AM »

Our friend's plane has left the gate at LAX, but has not yet taken off.  As soon as we know she's in the air, we're going to leave to get some lunch and head for IND.

Bye for now!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #63 on: April 20, 2009, 09:49:48 AM »

My favorite childhood TV shows were THE LONE RANGER, SUPERMAN, CHEYENNE & HIGHWAY PATROL, which was produced by my cousin, Fred Ziv.

We are currently watching season 1, disc 3 of CHEYENNE.  I'm really enjoying Clint Walker.  He is beautiful to listen to and watch.

Jane

« Reply #64 on: April 20, 2009, 09:52:48 AM »

Unless something more pressing arrives today, my work project for the day will be the horror thriller THE UNINVITED which was released earlier in the year. I know nothing about this other than it didn't do very well at the box-office.

I'm hoping it's more thrills and not a lot of gore.

I read a few good reviews and am looking forward to reading your opinion.

Jane

« Reply #65 on: April 20, 2009, 09:55:22 AM »

DR Jeane we didn’t go to Farmer’s Market very often unless we had out of town company.  We usually had DuPars boysenberry syrup in the house.  It is still my favorite, unfortunately they don’t bottle it anymore.  My brother said he has eaten at Talpa a few times.  There are other Mexican restaurants he prefers.   Keith & my favorite is El Cholo’s.

There is a pretty good Falafel place in Westwood.  We go there on nice evenings (you don’ want to eat inside) & sit outside.  Since the outside eating area isn’t enclosed Sherlock can sit with us. 

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #66 on: April 20, 2009, 10:00:57 AM »

I've asked about Up The Down Staircase and they can't license it because they have no paperwork on it - too bad.  Not quite ready to reveal the soundtrack title, but will reveal the show title tomorrow.

MGM/UA wouldn't have rights to "Up the Down Staircase", would they?  That's a Warner Brothers title.

Well my soundtrack LP is on UA.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jane

« Reply #67 on: April 20, 2009, 10:01:52 AM »

Oh, yes, AMOS AND ANDY. Long before political correctness, AMOS AND ANDY was a great favorite at our house.

I've said this before, it was a great show & it should be politically correct to watch it.  After watching a special on the show a few years back, which included most of the episodes.  While many of the characters were lacking in a certain amount of intelligence (sound like many shows today), Amos was rather the opposite.  There were blacks represented in numerous fields as lawyers, nurses & I believe doctors.

JMK

« Reply #68 on: April 20, 2009, 10:02:09 AM »

elmore, I remember PANTOMIME HIT PARADE.  Yeah, it was a pretty silly affair.

http://poguespages.blogspot.com

Speaking of pantomime, or at least mime, we are preparing for Betsy's cousin Daniel Stein coming to PDX to do his off Broadway hit "Timepiece," and then stay for a Master Class, like the ones he teaches at Juilliard. 

www.DanielStein.org

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #69 on: April 20, 2009, 10:05:19 AM »

THE LATE SHOW(Movies On CBS) with LeRoy Anderson's Syncopated Clock as Theme Music
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 10:10:13 AM by ArnoldMBrockman »

Jane

« Reply #70 on: April 20, 2009, 10:07:41 AM »

Look what I found on NetFlix :)

The Amos 'n Andy Show  (9-Disc Series) (1952)

"Adapted from a popular radio minstrel comedy serial, this influential sitcom centers on Amos Jones (Alvin Childress) and Andy Brown (Spencer Williams), two ex-farmhands trying to make their way in the hustle and bustle of big-city Chicago. One of the earliest television shows to feature African-American actors, this landmark comedy series sparked a wave of controversy due to what many saw as its unflattering depiction of black characters."

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #71 on: April 20, 2009, 10:13:47 AM »

I've asked about Up The Down Staircase and they can't license it because they have no paperwork on it - too bad.  Not quite ready to reveal the soundtrack title, but will reveal the show title tomorrow.

MGM/UA wouldn't have rights to "Up the Down Staircase", would they?  That's a Warner Brothers title.

Well that would certainly fit within the MGM/UA purview.  But...very curious that a WB film soundtrack would be issued on a UA LP.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JMK

« Reply #72 on: April 20, 2009, 10:24:09 AM »

Well that would certainly fit within the MGM/UA purview.  But...very curious that a WB film soundtrack would be issued on a UA LP.

I must have a collector's item.  Ebay, here I come.  Move over, "RARE!!!  SOUND OF MUSIC SOUNDTRACK LP" auctions.   ;D

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #73 on: April 20, 2009, 10:26:30 AM »

I must have a collector's item.  Ebay, here I come.  Move over, "RARE!!!  SOUND OF MUSIC SOUNDTRACK LP" auctions.   ;D

Karlin was probably under contract to UA records or something. 
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #74 on: April 20, 2009, 10:28:36 AM »

This is probably NOT news to a bunch of you, but:

'Consider Yourself' BUSTED, Lionel Bart!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 10:35:46 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #75 on: April 20, 2009, 10:30:15 AM »

My favorite childhood TV shows were THE LONE RANGER, SUPERMAN, CHEYENNE & HIGHWAY PATROL, which was produced by my cousin, Fred Ziv.

We are currently watching season 1, disc 3 of CHEYENNE.  I'm really enjoying Clint Walker.  He is beautiful to listen to and watch.

Why, Miss JANE!   :o

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #76 on: April 20, 2009, 10:37:05 AM »

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #77 on: April 20, 2009, 10:41:11 AM »

This is probably NOT news to a bunch of you, but:

'Consider Yourself' BUSTED, Lionel Bart!

DR Ron Pulliam - You may - or may not - want to edit out the Facebook Redirect/Frame from that link.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #78 on: April 20, 2009, 10:43:51 AM »

In other news...

Now that I'm finally ready to head out - and somewhat publicly presentable - I believe I'm going to head over to the Tanger Outlet Mall. I need some new walking and running shoes.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #79 on: April 20, 2009, 10:46:10 AM »

Good afternoon

Sorry to have been E & T but as I believe you've heard something unexpected came up

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #80 on: April 20, 2009, 10:47:12 AM »

The Vixter was greatly comforted by you all while I was in the hospital and I thnak you all for being so wonderful to her and to me!

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #81 on: April 20, 2009, 10:51:12 AM »

VIXMOM-

GREAT TO HAVE YOU BACK

vixmom

« Reply #82 on: April 20, 2009, 10:52:24 AM »

I was taken entirely uanawares - I went to bed- quite late as matter of fact on Tuesday feeling fine.  Actually it was technically Wednesday morning when I went to bed as TCM was showing Gone With The Wind and I stayed up and watched the whole thing

When it ended at Midnight I saw the Singing in the Rain was coming on next and stayed up long enough to wacth Donald O'Connor's Make 'Em Laugh number so it was probably clsoe to 1 AM before I snuggled down in bed feeling fine

I awoke at 2 AM feeling as if I was being stabbed in the stomach and with an immediate need to void the contents of that organ

This continued until 6 AM  when the Vixter got up for breakfast and to ready herself for school

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: April 20, 2009, 10:54:04 AM »

Back from the long jog - really hot out.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #84 on: April 20, 2009, 10:55:09 AM »

As stated, Up The Down Staircase was a UA album even though it was a Warners film.  Just as John Morris's Silent Movie was a Fox film but a UA album.

vixmom

« Reply #85 on: April 20, 2009, 10:56:34 AM »

Vixdad was awakened and informed he would be doing the school driving duties and when he saw me he decided he would be stayinng home to take care of me

(GOOD DECISION VIXDAD!)

I was adamant that I was not to be brought to the ER because it was proabably just the bits of burritto I had stolen from Vixdad's Tax Bell order ( I had a couple of forkfuls of the filling) and assumed food poisoning    Te local ER is famous for leaving you on hard plastic seats in the waiting room for hours and I was sure that once my stomach was completely voided things would get better

vixmom

« Reply #86 on: April 20, 2009, 10:58:56 AM »

Around midday I conceded that things were defintily going from bad to worse and that Action Must Be Taken

We called the GP who to her credit immediately came to the phone and suggested it could be related to an infection in my feeding tube and suggested rather than wasting time with her that I should go right the GI Dr -

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #87 on: April 20, 2009, 11:05:25 AM »

Good afternoon

GREAT TO HAVE YOU BACK!

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

vixmom

« Reply #88 on: April 20, 2009, 11:07:29 AM »

The GI DR , to his credit, said come right down, whisked me past a full waiting room and saw me immediately and said "The feeding tube is fine but you need an immediate CAT Scan, its either gallstones or a perforation"

My money wason tehperforation since I had never had gallstone issues before andit came on so suddenly.

The ER happens to be right across the street for the GI Dr, he called and told them to expect me and Vixdad dropped me off at the door and went to park the car .

There were two ladies ahead on me in line, both there to see patients and they were chatting away with each other and the receptionist until I though t I would faint and I finally said Excuse me I am going to fall down -  I don;t know what I looked like suddenly out a nowhere a wheelchair was under me and they  started asking me questions like "Can you hear me?" "Do you know where you are?" and then Vixdad was there and I was taken immediatley into the inner santum where my blood pressure and temp were taken I don't know what they were but I was moved into the inner inner sanctum wjhere the doctors are and within a half hour I was being taken for a CAT Scan and immediiately after that for a Sonogram 

vixmom

« Reply #89 on: April 20, 2009, 11:13:02 AM »

The next several hours is hazy  I know they gave me morphine and it didn't stop the pain so they gave me somthing else that deadend it somewhat until someone came along and touched my abdoment at which point I would scream like a stuck pig.

Now you must understand I am not a screamer.  I may moan quietly during some real bad things such as labor and some bits of chemo but for me to issue a full throated scream is unheard of so poor Vixdad was frightened to death... I am SO glad that the Vixter was not there

They announced to my surprise that I had an acute inflamed and infected gallbladder and it needed to come out immediately.  At that point I would have forfeited a limb to make the pain stop so to lose an organ I never see nor think was an easy decsion

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up