Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: WHAT I MISS  (Read 18141 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
WHAT I MISS
« on: April 20, 2009, 12:07:43 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you're in the know as regards what I miss, and now it is time for you to post until the missed cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: WHAT I MISS
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 12:08:39 AM »

And the word of the day is: CUNCTATION!

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 03:33:09 AM »

My favorite childhood TV shows were THE LONE RANGER, SUPERMAN, CHEYENNE & HIGHWAY PATROL, which was produced by my cousin, Fred Ziv.

Unfortunately, by the time that I was ready to journey to Los Angeles (from Seattle), he had retired, so I no longer had a show business "in".

:-\
You can dream…or you can do.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 03:35:08 AM »

More box unpacking today.

You can dream…or you can do.

FJL

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 04:23:13 AM »

Does THE MAGIC GARDEN count for the topic of the day?  I didn't watch the show that often, but I loved loved loved the theme song.

Michael

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 04:29:23 AM »

Locally produced shows that I remember were

Magistrate's Court
Family Court

These were scripted shows as opposed to shows like Judge Judy

People in Conflict (A group of people sitting around a table with a moderator trying to work out problems)

Also scripted show years ahead of shows like Intervention.

They were fun to watch because you would see people that you would know. I auditioned for Family Court. They promised me a run of 5 shows but the story was never produced. However my Mother was hired playing a mother of a girl who was caught shop lifting. "I can't believe Sissy would do such a thing" was one of her lines. Don't know why I am remember that!
Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 05:53:12 AM »

DR DRUXY's cousin was Fred Ziv?  Oh my, Ms Allison Hayes made guest appearances on several ZIV production during the 1950's.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 05:54:03 AM »

I liked the local movie programs especially Frances Farmer Presents and Sammy Terry (the Saturday night horror movie) and Selwyn who dressed up in safari attire and introduced Tarzan and Bomba movies.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2009, 06:15:56 AM »

Good morning, all! I had a quiet day puttering about the apartment ysterday after the recital. I believe the only thing I watched of note was the current episode of Masterpiece Theatre LITTLE DORRIT, which was very moving last night with the reappearance of John Chivery, the jailer's son who loves Amy Dorrit, and Mr Dorrit's approaching dementia. I do love the Circumlocution Office and its governmental ineptitude.

This morning, I have a date with Jim Morgan of the York Theatre to discuss a project, and after that, more work on THE MOST HAPPY FELLA.

TOD: Outside of Ruth Lyons' 50-50 CLUB at noon daily, I have little memory of  local programming in Cincinnati. I rememebr sone country-western Grand Ole Opry ripoff on Saturday nights, but that's about it. DR Charles Pogue will remember programs I've totally forgotten!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2009, 06:27:36 AM »

I, too, BK, miss the local programming.  The last two years of high school I probably did on five hours asleep at night, because I was up watching the late show movie that usually ran till one or one-thirty.  But then I had to stay up for the sign-off and the  HIGH FLIGHT poem.

My favourite local character (and Ginny and elmore might also remember him) was Bob Shreve, who hosted on the weekends, Schoenling All-Nite Theatre...Schoenling was a beer company.  He was kind of a  Soupy Sales character with a raft of silly characters and catch-phrases.  The movies were always kind of tatty, so you waited for the commercial breaks where Bob would cut up and do his schtick.  I think there is a website devoted to him.  A legend in Cincy.

We also had a local talent show on either Saturday or Sunday afternoon hosted by Len Goorian who had started as a ballroom dancer, I believe, before he went into broadcasting.  He still has a radio show on WMKV where he plays Latin music (apparently he worked a lot of cruise ships down South American way and has a collection of Latin Music).

Cincinnati was the home of Taft Broadcasting and a lot of local television was produced that also went out regionally.  An icon was Ruth Lyons...who hosted a midday talk and variety show with a live band (my guitar teacher at Wurlitzer music used to occasionally play on her show), with a funny band director, and several singers (Bob Braun was one...who later had his own talk show...he may have taken over hers after she died...and had a record that once got him on American Bandstand).  There is a book out now on Ruth called BEFORE OPRAH...and it's kind of true, she doing Oprah before Oprah.  Tickets for the studio audience sold out months in advance and it was broadcast all over Ohio, Indiana, and Kentucky.

We also had a horror movie host, The Cool Ghoul.

http://poguespages.blogspot.com

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2009, 06:32:48 AM »

elmore, I see we both remember Ruth Lyons' 50-50 club!  Why was it called that anyway?  I remember she used to always have the manager of the Cincinnati Reds baseball team on and give him advice on how to run the club.

The Grand Ole Opry rip-off was also a WLW, Taft show...Midwestern Hayride with Bonnie Lou, sort of Dolly Parton without the boobs,  if memory serves.  Kenny Price was a local fixture on it who later appeared on Hee-Haw as a regular.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2009, 06:40:16 AM »

TOD:

I'm mot sure if local Philadelphia station KYW was the home or the original EVENING MAGAZINE or not, but I did the show when it first began.  The stories were strictly local to the Philly region.  And they twice covered theatre productions done at my college, Rutgers/Camden.  Eventually, as the show began being produced in other markets, someone decided that it would be cheaper to homoginize the features across the board, so the show slowly lost its local flavor.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ginny

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2009, 06:57:09 AM »

Monday morning greetings!  It's a rainy day here in SW Ohio.  This afternoon Richard and I will drive to the Indianapolis airport to pick up our pastor's wife who's returning from a week in California.  Those 3 little girls sure will be glad to see her!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2009, 06:58:28 AM »

You know what I miss?  I miss New York channel 9 WOR.  Even in the days before cable, channel 9's broadcast signal would sometimes reach South Jersey and I felt like it was a magic window to the goings-on in NYC.  When we finally got cable, Channel 9 was part of the package (we also got NY Channel 11, but WOR always felt much more part of the street action of NYC.)   Eventually, Channel 9 WOR became SuperStation 9 or something like that and lost a lot of its flavor, and has long since been dropped altogether from Comcast.  It's too bad--I miss the annual KING KONG broadcast every Thanksgiving...
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

DAW

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2009, 07:04:16 AM »

So I psyched myself up and suited myself up, and got myself down to the local school track to begin... a JOGGING program.    :D

And once I got there, discovered that there is no "trespassing" allowed on school property from 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM.   Duh!  I should have known that.

I know that I can probably jog anywhere, but I figured the softer track would be good [and more forgiving] for a beginner.  So now I just have to maintain my willpower for another few hours, and try again.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2009, 07:14:34 AM »

Good morning!

We had rain during the night, but it's clearing up at the moment and looks pretty nice. The forecast said we were going to have rain on and off all day. Doesn't look that way right now, but certainly that could change.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2009, 07:16:19 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And it's Monday. And I don't have to do anything today. And I may just do that. :)
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2009, 07:18:55 AM »

Favorite syndicated shows:

THE ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN unquestionably my favorite. I also remember HIGHWAY PATROL and BOSTON BLACKIE and THE LONE RANGER.

Locally, there were kiddie shows in the afternoons on both local stations. One showed "The Little Rascals" while the other showed cartoons.

There was a Friday night horror show that ran for years. When it eventually went off the air, it was replaced by the station playing old serials like FLASH GORDON and CAPTAIN AMERICA. After those were played out, they used to program old black and white series. In a typical evening we'd have, say, BURNS AND ALLEN, OUR MISS BROOKS, and PRIVATE SECRETARY.

Matt H.

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2009, 07:21:04 AM »

Sunday afternoons there was JUNGLE THEATER which would show the TARZAN movies. When those were repeated over and over, they switched to JUNGLE JIM and then BOMBA. This is how I saw all of the Weismeuller and Lex Barker Tarzan movies.

After the TARZAN and other safari movies had run for years, they were replaced by DETECTIVE THEATER which is where I saw all of the Basil Rathbone/Sherlock Holmes movies.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2009, 07:22:03 AM »

So I psyched myself up and suited myself up, and got myself down to the local school track to begin... a JOGGING program.    :D

And once I got there, discovered that there is no "trespassing" allowed on school property from 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM.   Duh!  I should have known that.

I know that I can probably jog anywhere, but I figured the softer track would be good [and more forgiving] for a beginner.  So now I just have to maintain my willpower for another few hours, and try again.

DR DAW - I remember driving around Richmond a few times trying to find an open running track during the day.  Eventually, I found that the tracks at the University of Richmond were accessible.  -At least when their track team was not training.  However, when they were training, I would just watch. ;)

I did try to some of the high school tracks, but they were usually in use during the day for gym class.  *You may want to see if they restrict use of the track if school activities are going on.  In the meantime, see if you can find a park in your area that has a fitness track - one of those routes with the various "stations" (pull-ups, sit-ups, stretching, etc.).  You don't have to do the stops, but those tracks are usually one mile or one-and-a-half miles long.  Makes it much easier to keep track of your distance.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 07:23:38 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2009, 07:23:48 AM »

On TV Tonight!™

NBC - CHUCK, HEROES, MEDIUM (Part 1 of a two part story)
ABC - DANCING WITH THE STARS, SURVIVING SUBURBIA, CASTLE
CBS - RULES OF ENGAGEMENT
FOX - BONES (new episode), '24'
CW  - GOSSIP GIRL, ONE TREE HILL

Matt H.

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2009, 07:25:20 AM »

Unless something more pressing arrives today, my work project for the day will be the horror thriller THE UNINVITED which was released earlier in the year. I know nothing about this other than it didn't do very well at the box-office.

I'm hoping it's more thrills and not a lot of gore.

Ginny

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2009, 07:25:23 AM »

TOD - Having grown up in Detroit, my memories are of Soupy Sales, the George Pierrot travel programs, and a local weatherman named Sonny Elliott.

DR Charles Pogue - that new book about Ruth Lyons is getting major coverage here in the Cincinnati area.  I'm hoping to go next week to Joseph-Beth Booksellers to see Shelley Bamberger do her portrayal of Ruth at a book event.  My friend Becky and I used to see Shelley in musicals on the Showboat Majestic.

Even though we didn't get broadcasts of Ruth Lyons' show in Detroit, I knew about her from my grandmother and aunt, who lived in Indianapolis and were great fans. 
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 09:13:25 AM by Ginny »
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2009, 07:27:13 AM »

The CBS comedy line-up tonight is all repeats excluding RULES OF ENGAGEMENT, and THE MENTALIST that is being shown at 10 is not a new episode.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2009, 07:39:33 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

The only shows that comes to mind are a series of various programs and briefs spots that featured Dick Dyszel, otherwise known as "Captain 20". They ran on Channel 20, WDCA in Washington, DC.  It was sort of like a version of Bozo the Clown but for a slightly older audience.  Captain 20 would host the afternoon block of programming which was "dominated" by "Star Blazerrs" for the longest time.

There was also the "Captain 20 Show" which had an in-studio office.  -My friend, Chris, actually appeared on the show once, and ended up pissing off "Captain 20" since he knew the answer to a "Star Trek" trivia question - thus ruining the set-up to a particular segment.  He didn't like being upstage by a nine-year old. ;)

OH! Lo and behold, he even has a website: Captain 20
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2009, 07:43:33 AM »

And here's a funny story about a PSA Captain 20 had put together that just kept running and running and running even after Captain 20 was no longer an official part of the station.

Screening Room

*Alas, the embedded video clip does not seem to work any longer.  -Time to track it down on YouTube.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2009, 07:45:58 AM »

OMG!!!!

I think I just rediscovered one of my original sources for my foodie inclinations!

Chef Combo
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2009, 07:46:13 AM »

elmore, I see we both remember Ruth Lyons' 50-50 club!  Why was it called that anyway?  I remember she used to always have the manager of the Cincinnati Reds baseball team on and give him advice on how to run the club.

The Grand Ole Opry rip-off was also a WLW, Taft show...Midwestern Hayride with Bonnie Lou, sort of Dolly Parton without the boobs,  if memory serves.  Kenny Price was a local fixture on it who later appeared on Hee-Haw as a regular.

Ruth Lyons was very bossy; she gave advice to the weather man! I never knew why it was called the 50-50 club, perhaps because it was at noon?  Tickets were sold out years in advance; when my mother and her sisters were on the show, it's my memory that they waited 2-3 years before the tickets arrived.

Her band leader was a very gay man named Cliff Lash, and I used to hear bits of gossip about him in the 1970s. There was a gay weather man on one of the Dayton stations who got mugged cruising the levee and he wasn't waiting for the Robert E Lee. People I worked with in a dinner theatre outside Dayton called him the Weather Witch.

For the life of me I have no memory of Bob Shreve at all, or the Cool Ghoul.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 07:48:24 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2009, 07:50:25 AM »

Midwestern Hayride! I hated that show and I vaguely remember Bonnie Lou. I also remember something dreadful called "Pantomime Hit Parade," in which people lipsynched to current Top 40 numbers. Oy! Scraping the bottom of the barrel to entertain. It was like a bad drag act without the drag or intentional humor.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2009, 07:53:03 AM »

Dick Dyszel also hosted Channel 20's late-night "Creature Feature" in the persona of "Count Gore De Vol".  And he still continues that tradition with a weekly web-based show:

Creature Feature The Weekly Web Program

Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up