Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: BYE BYE BIRDIE  (Read 12484 times)

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
Re: BYE BYE BIRDIE
« Reply #150 on: April 28, 2011, 06:54:33 PM »

I'm assuming your fire escape comes complete with a beaver puppet, Larry.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #151 on: April 28, 2011, 06:57:24 PM »

I've been watching the first two acts of the Birmingham Royal Ballet's gorgeous production of Prokofiev's CINDERELLA. I will never like thes core much, although that G-minor waltz that closes the first act is magnificent, but the production is beautiful and nicely choreographed. The masks are amazing and the mice, lizard and frog are adorable in their 18th Century costumes. It's odd seeing women portray the ugly stepsisters since they're usually played by two men in drag. The dancer playing the stepmother is fantastic; she is mean, really mean, and plays evil  really really well.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 07:02:59 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #152 on: April 28, 2011, 06:57:54 PM »

I smell an Oscar. . .for the beaver puppet.

I have read that Mr. Gibson is quite wonderful in the film.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jennifer

« Reply #153 on: April 28, 2011, 06:58:30 PM »

Boy was it windy here today. Crazy windy.

Jennifer

« Reply #154 on: April 28, 2011, 06:58:46 PM »

American Idol made me very upset. :(

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #155 on: April 28, 2011, 06:59:37 PM »

Color me amazed.  I just watched the newish Blu-ray of MANDINGO and I found it to be a rather good film, despite all the brickbats that have been thrown at it over the years.

Ohmigod, you're turning into DR MBarnum!

Well, we'll soon know for sure:  I'm about to drive to Beaverton, so if I end up on your fire escape, we'll know the transformation is complete.  :)

Since you're not swooming over Perry Kng's nudity yet, I guess you have some way to go. Are you craving an Indian or Indian food? Feel like strolling through the lobby of a senior citizen's weight lifting competition?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jennifer

« Reply #156 on: April 28, 2011, 07:00:36 PM »

Is anyone other than DR Cillaliz getting up early tomorrow to watch the wedding?

And what channel should I watch? I really can't decide. I wish there was a list of who was going to be on each network. I think Anderson Cooper will be on CNN (i like him). I know Barbara Walters will be one of the people on ABC. I'm wondering if Joan Rivers will be on E!  If she will be on E! then I will watch that.

That is assuming I wake up. I'm not really an early morning person. And I am not going to set my alarm. I will record it in case i oversleep. But if I do wake up then I will watch.

Jennifer

« Reply #157 on: April 28, 2011, 07:00:56 PM »

Maybe I'll just flick to all the different channels to see who doesn't make me crazy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #158 on: April 28, 2011, 07:01:20 PM »

I'm assuming your fire escape comes complete with a beaver puppet, Larry.

Oddly enough, he's never asked for a puppet. Photos of Richard Harrison, perhaps, or that Egyptian taxi driver, but no puppets, and no beaver!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #159 on: April 28, 2011, 07:01:58 PM »

Is anyone other than DR Cillaliz getting up early tomorrow to watch the wedding?

And what channel should I watch? I really can't decide. I wish there was a list of who was going to be on each network. I think Anderson Cooper will be on CNN (i like him). I know Barbara Walters will be one of the people on ABC. I'm wondering if Joan Rivers will be on E!  If she will be on E! then I will watch that.

That is assuming I wake up. I'm not really an early morning person. And I am not going to set my alarm. I will record it in case i oversleep. But if I do wake up then I will watch.

I have to find the TV Guide channel for Kathy Griffin's take.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #160 on: April 28, 2011, 07:03:53 PM »

I've been watching the first two acts of the Birmingham Royal Ballet's gorgeous production of Prokofiev's CINDERELLA. I will never like thes core much, although that G-minor waltz that closes the first act is magnificent, but the production is beautiful and nicely choreographed. The masks are amazing and the mice, lizard and frog are adorable in their 18th Century costumes. It's odd seeing women portray the ugly stepsisters since their usually played by two men in drag. The dancer playing the stepmother is fantastic; she is mean, really mean, and plays evil  really really well.

Someone managed to review this without using the word "debris" here:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Prokofiev-Cinderella-Blu-ray/20472/#Review
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #161 on: April 28, 2011, 07:07:28 PM »

I'm trying to figure out if this Royal Wedding Souvenir could end up being a collectible? Or just a piece of junk? ;)

Will (??) & Kate

That is pretty funny, Jose.
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #162 on: April 28, 2011, 07:09:07 PM »

No way am I waking up early.  I set a couple of different channels to watch & will skim through them to bits, such as the wedding, here and there. I have CNN set and something else in HD.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #163 on: April 28, 2011, 07:09:52 PM »

I will not be watching Griffin.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #164 on: April 28, 2011, 07:13:38 PM »

bk - As for "God of Carnage" - It was alluded to by another DR earlier, but...

Do you know anything about the play? Well, at least about something very specific that happens in the play?

I was wondering the same thing.
“One thing’s universal,

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #165 on: April 28, 2011, 07:14:57 PM »

I will not be watching Griffin.

Your loss.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #166 on: April 28, 2011, 07:23:25 PM »

I've been watching the first two acts of the Birmingham Royal Ballet's gorgeous production of Prokofiev's CINDERELLA. I will never like thes core much, although that G-minor waltz that closes the first act is magnificent, but the production is beautiful and nicely choreographed. The masks are amazing and the mice, lizard and frog are adorable in their 18th Century costumes. It's odd seeing women portray the ugly stepsisters since their usually played by two men in drag. The dancer playing the stepmother is fantastic; she is mean, really mean, and plays evil  really really well.

Someone managed to review this without using the word "debris" here:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Prokofiev-Cinderella-Blu-ray/20472/#Review

I don't understand the "debris" comment.

Ashton also rearranges the score and invented that showcase role of the jester in Acts Two and Three for one of the loves of his life, Alexander Grant The Royal Ballet production from the 1980s is fun with rivals Ashton and Helpman playing the sisters. The old tv broadcast with Margot Fonteyn, which I saw around 1956, like THE SLEEPING BEAUTY from around the same time, is really cut down.

This DVD has no special features, I think. I'll check after Act Three. Opus Arte really does have better packaging, but maybe Kultur doesn't feel Birmingham rates the same luxury as the Royal Ballet!

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #167 on: April 28, 2011, 07:26:22 PM »

Of course it would have been infinitely better with a beaver puppet.
;D
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #168 on: April 28, 2011, 07:28:11 PM »

Vibes for Ginny.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #169 on: April 28, 2011, 07:29:28 PM »

How can anyone not love a film with a leading lady whose first name is Rainbeaux? That's been as good a reason as any to like "Mandingo."
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #170 on: April 28, 2011, 07:47:30 PM »

Anybody going to see "Memphis" at the movie theaters this weekend?
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #171 on: April 28, 2011, 07:53:16 PM »

Nope, no special features on the ballet, and the score has big cuts in Act Three,

Cillaliz

« Reply #172 on: April 28, 2011, 08:23:30 PM »

I think I want to see Water for Elephants.  I read the book years ago, so I don't really remember it in detail.  That should help me enjoy it

Laura

« Reply #173 on: April 28, 2011, 08:23:33 PM »

I was very pleased to see that my front window was clean even with the late afternoon sun shining through it.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Laura

« Reply #174 on: April 28, 2011, 08:23:40 PM »

It's a post.

Laura

« Reply #175 on: April 28, 2011, 08:28:14 PM »

I've seen a few photos of the (almost) princess. In my opinion, she doesn't look good in hats. They looked so natural on Diana. But not on Kate.

Cillaliz

« Reply #176 on: April 28, 2011, 08:29:38 PM »

But really, does anyone still wear a hat?

Laura

« Reply #177 on: April 28, 2011, 08:30:24 PM »

Wise words from a first grader.

Cillaliz

« Reply #178 on: April 28, 2011, 08:31:18 PM »

I thought so.... she was very composed during the tv interview

Cillaliz

« Reply #179 on: April 28, 2011, 08:34:55 PM »

So, If I really get up at 3:00 or even 4:00 AM to watch the wedding, will anyone else be here?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up