Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: TV IS DEAD  (Read 14246 times)

Laura

Re: TV IS DEAD
« Reply #90 on: May 12, 2009, 08:15:18 AM »

We have to have our auto emissions test every other year. We had one vehicle -- an old camper -- that  failed once. We were told to take it for a nice long drive on the freeway to blow out the carbons and come back to retest. It passed. We truly believe that it is just a money-maker for someone.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Laura

« Reply #91 on: May 12, 2009, 08:16:20 AM »

I am sure I have never had really GOOD deli food. But if anyone in Phoenix knows where there is good deli food, it's Kerry.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #92 on: May 12, 2009, 08:16:44 AM »

DR Jeanne - Monkey has made a few select appearance over the past few days. However, his photographer, it seems, has been too "busy" being awed by everything here in the Philippines to take as many pictures as Monkey would like.  ;)

Oh, heck!  However will we survive?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #93 on: May 12, 2009, 08:17:59 AM »

DR MBarnum and most likely some other DRs - You might want to check out the website for Folded & Hung. It's a Filipino clothing store chain. They do sell clothes for both men and women, and their ad campaigns feature both men and women, but I have a feeling the men may interest you more.  *Just click on "Gallery", then select one of the Denim or Underwear campaigns. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #94 on: May 12, 2009, 08:19:11 AM »

I'm at Toyland and the person I was to meet here at 10:30 - and the reason I busted my butt to get here in time - is not yet here.

I have no patience for this.

Take a deep cleansing breath...

...and exhale...

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

Take another deep breath...

...and exhale...

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

One more deep breath...

...and exhale...

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

There.  Now you are calm and relaxed and balanced and ready to jump all over that ignorant bastard's head when he shows his stupid face...

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #95 on: May 12, 2009, 08:19:23 AM »

DR Jeanne - Monkey has made a few select appearance over the past few days. However, his photographer, it seems, has been too "busy" being awed by everything here in the Philippines to take as many pictures as Monkey would like.  ;)

I'm sure you'll survive, DR Ron Pulliam.

*And I do want to note that I have not posted a single pic of Monkey here on HHW over the past couple of days.  Yes, I have posted links to said pics, but no pics themselves.  So, again...

BITE ME!

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #96 on: May 12, 2009, 08:19:45 AM »

I may well be the last DR on this board to buy a digital television.  With the possible exception of Laura DR.

The three of us should form a club cause I'm in there too.
Make it 4!

It'll be at least 5 because Dan-the-Man is in our club also. The others can't join! Ha, Ha ;)

"The others" aren't Luddites!  ;)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 08:36:50 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #97 on: May 12, 2009, 08:20:55 AM »

DR MBarnum - The deli in question is "Artie's".  "Art's" is in Los Angeles.

Now, as for the "Dehli in question", well, that's a totally different matter. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #98 on: May 12, 2009, 08:22:15 AM »

I am still looking for a Darna movie.

Shapiro's in Indy.....the potato salad!  And the pastrami.

THAT DARNA CAT?

The Darna Initiative?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 08:36:16 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #99 on: May 12, 2009, 08:23:34 AM »

I'm sure you'll survive, DR Ron Pulliam.

*And I do want to note that I have not posted a single pic of Monkey here on HHW over the past couple of days.  Yes, I have posted links to said pics, but no pics themselves.  So, again...

BITE ME!

;D

Why, DR Jose.....I'd be DEE-lighted.  A great big old MONKEY BITE!     :D

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #100 on: May 12, 2009, 08:26:23 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

It's a toss up between the corned beef and pastrami at Katz's Delicatessen down in the Lower East Side of New York City.  -Which is why I usually get the combo sandwich when I go there.  ;)

*And I have had kishka.  In fact, I believe I shared a "bowl" of kishka with our very own bk, and it may have actually been at Art's Deli in Los Angeles.  -Or whichever deli is by the bowling alley.  It may have been Jerry's.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #101 on: May 12, 2009, 08:30:25 AM »

An open question for all

Does anyone know the actresses who play Sister Catherine and Sister Agatha in The Sound of Music?

They are the other two nuns along with Marni Nixon as Sister Sophia who are part of the trio that sing about MARIA

Marni Nixon who played Sister Sophia (The other singing nun) and Evadne Baker as Sister Bernice are the only other nuns other than Wood, Lee & Nelson who are credited.

Sister Bernice is the nun that tells Mother Abbess that she can't find Maria anywhere.

Sister Catherine (????) L  Sister Sophia (Marni Nixon) middle  Sister Agatha (???) right

I founnd a site on the interenet that listed Ada Beth Lee as "Sister Catherine" and Doreen Trydon as "Sister Agatha".
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 08:34:49 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #102 on: May 12, 2009, 08:36:21 AM »

TOD:  Number one favorite thing to get at a real Jewish deli:  Reuben sandwich with sour cream potato salad and a garlic dill on the side.  Number two favorite thing to get: Hot pastrami on rye, ditto, and ditto.  Number three favorite thing to get: Split pea soup!

My Jewish deli of choice ('cause I ain't been to any other more authentic: David's on Geary Street, San Francisco.

Now you tell me there is a great deli in San Francisco.;)  I have no idea when or if I will ever be here again.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #103 on: May 12, 2009, 08:36:23 AM »

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jane

« Reply #104 on: May 12, 2009, 08:36:56 AM »

I suppose we will have to find a way-sigh.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #105 on: May 12, 2009, 08:37:53 AM »

LOL DR DtM
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #106 on: May 12, 2009, 08:38:24 AM »

Just did 20 minutes on the Pro Form Walker.....whew!  It's getting easier each day though.

Jane

« Reply #107 on: May 12, 2009, 08:41:48 AM »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #108 on: May 12, 2009, 08:42:20 AM »

OK... Since it appears that I will be having quite the active day tomorrow with my Auntie Odie, I really should head back to the apartment and get ready for bed. So..

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #109 on: May 12, 2009, 08:49:02 AM »

Yes, I've had authentic deli food. Hot pastrami on rye is undoubtedly my favorite. Leo's Deli in Charlotte is by far the most well known and patronized one in my area of town. I'm sure there are many others.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #110 on: May 12, 2009, 08:51:50 AM »

An open question for all

Does anyone know the actresses who play Sister Catherine and Sister Agatha in The Sound of Music?

They are the other two nuns along with Marni Nixon as Sister Sophia who are part of the trio that sing about MARIA

Marni Nixon who played Sister Sophia (The other singing nun) and Evadne Baker as Sister Bernice are the only other nuns other than Wood, Lee & Nelson who are credited.

Sister Bernice is the nun that tells Mother Abbess that she can't find Maria anywhere.

Sister Catherine (????) L  Sister Sophia (Marni Nixon) middle  Sister Agatha (???) right

I founnd a site on the interenet that listed Ada Beth Lee as "Sister Catherine" and Doreen Trydon as "Sister Agatha".

Thank you, DR Ron Pulliam. This information really should find its way to someone at Fox so these wonderful ladies can get some respect once Fox issues THE SOUND OF MUSIC on Blu-ray.

Matt H.

« Reply #111 on: May 12, 2009, 08:53:39 AM »

I think I forgot to mention last night that along with the other things I watched, I managed to find the time to watch another NCIS episode from Season 2. This one involved a pair of eyeballs sent to someone in the mail. The petty officer they were meant for was actually a transsexual.

A very bizarre episode. Anthony Heald was the guest star in it.

Matt H.

« Reply #112 on: May 12, 2009, 08:54:25 AM »

Now I need to head downstairs and check the mail before beginning to fix some lunch for myself. I'm looking forward to having a fun, leisurely afternoon of viewing.

WBBL.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #113 on: May 12, 2009, 09:01:44 AM »

An open question for all

Thank you, DR Ron Pulliam. This information really should find its way to someone at Fox so these wonderful ladies can get some respect once Fox issues THE SOUND OF MUSIC on Blu-ray.

It would, of course, have to be verified by the Fox archives, I'm certain.  Trydon (as Doreen "Tryden") has an IMDb listing, but it doesn't list "The Sound of Music."  I'm wondering if the reasons could be as simple as the two women may not have had SAG membership but were known either by Wise or Chaplin or...?  And would that have kept them from getting screen credit, do you suppose?

td

• td
« Reply #114 on: May 12, 2009, 09:23:56 AM »

There was even one pet stall that sold things that one would normally not keep as a pet - at least I wouldn't.  So, if any DR is interested in tarantula, snapping turtle, asp or scorpion(!)...  :o

I adore tarantulas.  Really, I do.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

td

• td
« Reply #115 on: May 12, 2009, 09:26:43 AM »

I am still looking for a Darna movie.

Shapiro's in Indy.....the potato salad!  And the pastrami.

THE DARNA INITIATIVE?    You might end up being lost.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #116 on: May 12, 2009, 09:56:25 AM »

I'll need to ask questions re the DLP lamps if I go that route.  I do love Mitsubishi but am willing to look at other brands.  I've never been an advocate of Plasma, so will either get a DLP or LCD or whatever they're called.  In fact, last night I looked at a few - the Blu-Ray image is a little startling to me, especially on older films - it doesn't seem film-like, it seems like the old movie was shot with hi-def cameras - but maybe that's something one gets used to?  On the TV I was looking at (a Samsung) the image was brilliant - they were using not the "movie" setting, which I found a bit underwhelming, but something called Blu-smart or something like that - of the image choices I found that one brightest and best.  I'll probably go look at some others.  As to my dead TV, like most electronics I asked specifically if this was the latest and greatest and was told yes.  That was six years ago.  Funny, but about six months later it wasn't the latest and greatest - it was "i" instead of "p" and no HDMI inputs, if I'm remembering correctly.  So, it's quite outmoded and shortly I suppose I'll have a new TV with all the latest and greatest.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #117 on: May 12, 2009, 09:57:01 AM »

Oh, and I'm up.  I got a good night's sleep and feel better.  I shall go do my few errands now, have my meeting and then be done for the day.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #118 on: May 12, 2009, 10:06:05 AM »

Ya know, I think that "Who Stole the Kishka?" is one of those song titles that is just aching to have a good movie made out of it.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #119 on: May 12, 2009, 10:52:42 AM »

MR BK nothing gets older faster that that which is the latest and newest.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Up