Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: A WEIRD SORT OF MOOD  (Read 38230 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re: A WEIRD SORT OF MOOD
« Reply #90 on: January 14, 2009, 08:33:08 AM »

Shower helped a little, I'm thinking coffee well help a lot.  I'm off this morning to have coffee with a perspective employee.  When I inherited my church job (in 2005), I also inherited a trio of "ringers" or "section leaders" for the "adult choir".  When they were hired, (before my time) they were students at the SF Conservatory of Music.  Anyhow, in November the baritone told me that he was moving to LA the weekend after Christmas to live with his GF and to work at some video game company.  That was great news for me because frankly, he was a handful and myself and the soprano and alto will be glad to be rid of him.  So, I began my search to find someone to replace him.  Anyhow, I did... however, he's STILL HERE!!  He hasn't left yet and his excuse is, "the job hasn't called me yet, but I heard they will - I'll let you know" 

So, he hasn't left, I meeting with someone to take his place today - who I REALLY want in as soon as possible, but I'm stuck until he officially leaves.  IF he leaves.   He was SO certain he was going that the choir (who loves him, of course) threw him a going away party at one of the rehearsals before Christmas.  So there you have it.  Happy Wednesday!

Kill the son-of-a-bitch!

Now, now, Larry.   Couldn't we start off with a warning?   :)
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ginny

« Reply #91 on: January 14, 2009, 08:33:09 AM »

*There's a Crumbs Bakeshop just two blocks away from Levain.  Just FYI.  ;)

Is there also one on 42nd St., across from Bryant Park?  Richard and I stopped in there just before closing time and there weren't even any crumbs left!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #92 on: January 14, 2009, 08:33:41 AM »

Page 4 "Spare the Son-of-A-Bitch Until You Have No Other Choice" Dance.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #93 on: January 14, 2009, 08:34:09 AM »

Feel better vibes for BABY TOBY.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #94 on: January 14, 2009, 08:34:09 AM »

*There's a Crumbs Bakeshop just two blocks away from Levain.  Just FYI.  ;)

Is there also one on 42nd St., across from Bryant Park?  Richard and I stopped in there just before closing time and there weren't even any crumbs left!

Well, there it is!  Jose had been in EARLIER!      ;)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #95 on: January 14, 2009, 08:34:43 AM »

Wow - DR JOSE - he must be super talented or have a great agent!  Or maybe he is a HAPPY DAYS fan.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #96 on: January 14, 2009, 08:37:25 AM »

"If one is thrown a 'going away' party, it is incumbent on the honoree that he, indeed, 'go away' within a reasonable amount of time, not longer than six weeks following the festivities."

Mr. Mannerly

Put this on the bulletin board, DR MATTHEW.  Or you could do what Lucy Ricardo would do, leave a telephone message where he can find it:  "Hollywood called.  You got the job!"

Although I think actually Fred Mertz had his fine hand in that escapade.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #97 on: January 14, 2009, 08:38:27 AM »

Good morning!

We're beginning to get the winter chill that affecting the more northern parts of the country. Our high today is only going to be 42, and by Friday, it's not supposed to get out of the 20s with a low of 9!

Brrrr! Chilll!

We are expecting the mid-60s here.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #98 on: January 14, 2009, 08:43:06 AM »

And the word of the day is: POLYPHYLETIC!

...like taking a shower with a raincoat on?
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #99 on: January 14, 2009, 08:44:56 AM »

I want a cupcake.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #100 on: January 14, 2009, 08:46:19 AM »

And the word of the day is: POLYPHYLETIC!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  WE ARE THE WORLD

JMK

« Reply #101 on: January 14, 2009, 08:47:06 AM »

Here's my outre Ask BK question:

I started watching the 1953 (1952?) Prisoner of Zenda last night and was amazed to see the "two" Stewart Grangers actually touching each other, something I would have assumed the SFX capabilities of the early 50s would have precluded.  For example, when they meet, they shake hands.  Later, in the drinking scene, the King pats the commoner on the arm.  Now on the second one I guess they could have used a prosthetic arm, but I am really curious how, with the technology available in the 1950s, they got the handshaking scene.  Both versions of Granger are clearly seen, it's a medium close-up, and they quite clearly shake hands--I replayed it several times.  Do you know how that was accomplished?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #102 on: January 14, 2009, 08:52:44 AM »

ASK BK

What current group of Broadway performers would you use for one of your concept albums? (Peter Pan, Unsung ________, Lost In Boston etc)

I'd have to get to know their voices better, frankly.  No one, other than Julie Reiber, actually pops out at me, in terms of people I haven't used before. 

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #103 on: January 14, 2009, 08:53:48 AM »

My question for ASK BK day.....what book or short story (other than your own) that has NEVER been filmed, do you think would make a fine film or mini series?

If they could figure out how to do it, Richard Neely's The Walter Syndrome - quite a good little psychological thriller.  Same with Steven Millhauser's Edwin Mullhouse, a wonderful book about childhood.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #104 on: January 14, 2009, 08:58:16 AM »

I started watching the 1953 (1952?) Prisoner of Zenda last night and was amazed to see the "two" Stewart Grangers actually touching each other, something I would have assumed the SFX capabilities of the early 50s would have precluded.  For example, when they meet, they shake hands.  Later, in the drinking scene, the King pats the commoner on the arm.  Now on the second one I guess they could have used a prosthetic arm, but I am really curious how, with the technology available in the 1950s, they got the handshaking scene.  Both versions of Granger are clearly seen, it's a medium close-up, and they quite clearly shake hands--I replayed it several times.  Do you know how that was accomplished?

I remember reading somewhere exactly how that scene was shot, but I don't recall the details.  Try a Google search and I'll bet you'll find it.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #105 on: January 14, 2009, 08:59:14 AM »

Oh, and I'm up and have been up since before it got light out - I just refused to get out of bed, so I just sort of laid there like so much fish, head filled with various and sundried things.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #106 on: January 14, 2009, 09:00:43 AM »

Shower helped a little, I'm thinking coffee well help a lot.  I'm off this morning to have coffee with a perspective employee.  When I inherited my church job (in 2005), I also inherited a trio of "ringers" or "section leaders" for the "adult choir".  When they were hired, (before my time) they were students at the SF Conservatory of Music.  Anyhow, in November the baritone told me that he was moving to LA the weekend after Christmas to live with his GF and to work at some video game company.  That was great news for me because frankly, he was a handful and myself and the soprano and alto will be glad to be rid of him.  So, I began my search to find someone to replace him.  Anyhow, I did... however, he's STILL HERE!!  He hasn't left yet and his excuse is, "the job hasn't called me yet, but I heard they will - I'll let you know" 

So, he hasn't left, I meeting with someone to take his place today - who I REALLY want in as soon as possible, but I'm stuck until he officially leaves.  IF he leaves.   He was SO certain he was going that the choir (who loves him, of course) threw him a going away party at one of the rehearsals before Christmas.  So there you have it.  Happy Wednesday!

Kill the son-of-a-bitch!

A warning about what?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #107 on: January 14, 2009, 09:02:09 AM »

I only mentioned the Disturbia/Rear Window and Eagle Eye/North By Northwest because people seem to always mention those things in their reviews.  For me, both films fail on every level imaginable - but that's just me and I'm glad others get some enjoyment out of them.  With Eagle Eye, I can surrender to any premise as long as the filmmakers then obey the rules of the universe they create and don't make them so outrageous and stupid that I keep being pulled out of the film, which is exactly what happens with Eagle Eye.  I never accept "it's just a popcorn flick" - I love those kinds of films when, for me, they work - these two and especially Eagle Eye, didn't.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #108 on: January 14, 2009, 09:04:09 AM »

No e-mail response to my response, which is telling - of course, the guy who e-mailed me is on AOL so who knows if he even got it.  My response was friendly, even-keeled, and firmly put the ball in this gentleman's court, which is exactly what I wanted to do, since I think his e-mail was incorrect in every detail.  I've basically said put up or shut up in a very nice way.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #109 on: January 14, 2009, 09:07:04 AM »

Ummmm.....was Cillaliz planning on walking to work?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #110 on: January 14, 2009, 09:07:59 AM »

So, he hasn't left, I meeting with someone to take his place today - who I REALLY want in as soon as possible, but I'm stuck until he officially leaves.  IF he leaves.   He was SO certain he was going that the choir (who loves him, of course) threw him a going away party at one of the rehearsals before Christmas.  So there you have it.  Happy Wednesday!

Kill the son-of-a-bitch!

Now, now, Larry.   Couldn't we start off with a warning?   :)
A warning about what?

About living up to the agreement that he'd leave.

DAW

« Reply #111 on: January 14, 2009, 09:12:44 AM »

living up to the agreement that he'd leave.

AAAAAANNNNNDDDDDD HEEEEEEEEEEEE IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIS
Telling you-
He's not going!    :)

DAW

« Reply #112 on: January 14, 2009, 09:15:01 AM »

RICE A RONI...the San Francisco treat!!

JMK

« Reply #113 on: January 14, 2009, 09:15:13 AM »

I remember reading somewhere exactly how that scene was shot, but I don't recall the details.  Try a Google search and I'll bet you'll find it.

I just tried a plethora (a PLETHORA, do you hear me?) of search queries and got nada.

JMK

« Reply #114 on: January 14, 2009, 09:15:49 AM »

RICE A RONI...the San Francisco treat!!

You of course meant Rice-a-RonPulliam, the SF (Oakland) treat!

DAW

« Reply #115 on: January 14, 2009, 09:18:39 AM »

I found this online report on the concert version of A Little Night Music:

A starry, likely once-in-a-lifetime cast assembled for what turned out to be a thrilling, unforgettable benefit reading of this Sondheim masterpiece, yet to be revived on Broadway. Some were revisiting roles played elsewhere before (Victor Garber, Marc Kudisch), but most were coming fresh: all showed up, despite the limited rehearsal time, with fully realized performances. Natasha Richardson and Vanessa Redgrave, the benefit's greatest casting coup, would have been more than enough on their own to make the evening special - Richardson's beguiling performance as Desiree capped with her nakedly emotional rendition of "Send In The Clowns", Redgrave's expert line readings bringing comic zing and fresh vitality to Madame Armfeldt - but all the casting was inspired. With her rare talent for barbing a one-liner, Christine Baranski has long seemed like she'd be a sensational Charlotte, and she was: the comic chemsitry between her and Kudisch, an absolutely ideal Carl-Magnus, was musical theatre heaven. I wasn't surprised that Stephen Pasquale aced young idealistic Henrik, but I was stunned that Jill Paice, an eleventh hour replacement for Laura Benanti, proved to be a revelation as child-bride Anne. Many have stumbled in the role, condascending to it rather than playing the girlishness with conviction, but Paice got it exactly right. As Petra, otherwise known as the servant who gets to sing "The Miller's Son" in the second act, Kendra Kassebaum was in the same league as Natascia Diaz, who brought down the house a few years back in the role at the Kennedy Center: high praise indeed. Because the full orchestra was center stage, and the actors seated to the sides except when needed at the row of stools at music stands, I sometimes found myself looking over at Vanessa Redgrave as she watched her fellow actors. Emotionally engaged, curious, highly attentive and ready with applause: she's not only the greatest living actress, she's probably the world's greatest audience member.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #116 on: January 14, 2009, 09:18:47 AM »

So, he hasn't left, I meeting with someone to take his place today - who I REALLY want in as soon as possible, but I'm stuck until he officially leaves.  IF he leaves.   He was SO certain he was going that the choir (who loves him, of course) threw him a going away party at one of the rehearsals before Christmas.  So there you have it.  Happy Wednesday!

Kill the son-of-a-bitch!

A warning about what?

About living up to the agreement that he'd leave.

Yes, but he don't go!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #117 on: January 14, 2009, 09:19:54 AM »

Kill the son-of-a-bitch!

The thought has crossed my mind :)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 09:21:44 AM by Matthew »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #118 on: January 14, 2009, 09:20:16 AM »

JMK, I'll see if I can find it among my film books.  My very hazy memory is that the hand and arm were matted in, but I'm not at all sure I'm remembering correctly.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #119 on: January 14, 2009, 09:20:56 AM »

I have missed my window of opportunity for an early long jog, so I'll just do it later or take today off instead of Friday off.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Up